• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Engine] Pokémon Unity 2D (WIP)

Years

Pokémon Unity 2D

Pokémon Unity 2D is a framework I'm currently working on using the Unity engine. The intention is to provide a modern, user friendly kit in which to make fangames.
Source code will be moved to github upon first release.

Main goals of the engine:
  • Cross-platform
  • Customizability (easy to create and manage custom tools and editors within the program)
  • Improved performance by using a modern engine (RMXP is a very old engine, and struggles with some aspects of performance even with default Essentials)
  • Documentation (starting from scratch, this gives the ability to document everything used)

Trello: https://trello.com/b/zqvm5MDJ/pokemon-unity-2d-todo

Screenshots
Spoiler:

Note: This kit will never charge money, nor will it allow anyone to make money while using it

Tools used:
Unity2D
Tiled
Tiled2Unity
UnityCollaborate

Credits:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2023
What?! A unity pokemon kit in 2d?? It's almost like you actually want it to be finished or something!

In seriousness, well done Mej! This looks to be a well thought out start to the next generation of pokemon kits. I'm excited to help out in any capacity I can.

Now, just to get this question out of the way because you know it's on people's minds. While I very much agree with keeping the kit 2d, or at least, building it in 2d, I'm assuming that changing the kit to feature a 2.5d style in the vein of dppt/hggs, would not be impossible for those of us with Unity know how? I do think such a fork of the kit would be another distinct advantage over essentials.

Last edited:
Years
Spoiler:
If you would like to help work on it, that would be awesome, just contact me on discord.
A 2.5d kit already exists, but it's missing a lot of functionalities and ease of use imo. Once this is actually done, I would assume it could adopt a lot of my tools/ideas, but some things like events and maps and such would function very differently because of my lack of use of models.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 17, 2023
This looks absolutely amazing mej!!!

I've thought about creating a Pokemon game in Unity myself but I never had the time to start from scratch and the only major Pokemon-based framework for Unity is exclusively for 3D, has very little documentation and isn't as user friendly :(

Honestly this sounds like a fantastic idea and having worked with Unity before I know that an Essentials-style system like this would have far fewer limitations than RPG Maker!

Where we can we follow progress on this project?

Last edited:
Years
This looks absolutely amazing mej!!!

I've thought about creating a Pokemon game in Unity myself but I never had the time to start from scratch and the only major Pokemon-based framework for Unity is exclusively for 3D, has very little documentation and isn't as user friendly :(

Honestly this sounds like a fantastic idea and having worked with Unity before I know that an Essentials-style system like this would have far fewer limitations than RPG Maker!

Where we can we follow progress on this project?

The trello is in the description. I probably won't post updates unless it's major.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 3, 2022
with "Cross-platform" you mean that it can also be played on android, right?

Years
with "Cross-platform" you mean that it can also be played on android, right?

First priority will be given to PC/Mac/Linux. Once the main build is released, hopefully mobile support will be added. But there are many goals to accomplish before that

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 3, 2022
First priority will be given to PC/Mac/Linux. Once the main build is released, hopefully mobile support will be added. But there are many goals to accomplish before that

Sure, but not being able to play on mobile (the original way to play pokemon games) like for example with essentials kit, it's very frustrating. I really hope that will be an engine that can do what a Gba hack rom and a Rpg maker pokemon game can't!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 30, 2019
Will the language change be friendly and easy to implement?

CTF Studios

NekoBomber
Years
This looks amazing. I have always loved the work that you and Maruno have accomplished with essentials and this is no different. Updating to a better engine seems like the right time right now.

I was wondering how this is coming along due to Nintendo's reaction to essentials recently?

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Sep 30, 2018
Heyy, is this project dead?
Any updates on how much progress?
What are your plans on improving this essentials pack compared to the RMXP one... Because that one had below 60fps, I think, and the resolution was 512×384, and the sprites could only have 4 frames of animation which was a let down.
Are you planning on basing this essentials pack on gen 3, 4, or gen 5 style?

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 5, 2019
I work on the project and i can say with Certainty that it is far from dead, although progress is slow due to lack of developers, but it's still a very large group

Glad to know that the project isn't dead! I'm really excited to see how far this project went from the last update, more than one year ago.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 26, 2023
I love the idea. With the base established this will allow to MUCH, MUCH better pokemon fangames. It will be a perfect solution to the performance and limitations of RPG Maker. In Unity creators could let the imagination run wild. Example? You are playing a pokemon game then... it has platforming sections with Pokemon... A little crazier idea? A normal looking pokemon game, but the battles are like a fighting game. Pokemon races? Much better cutscenes, well... a lot of stuff.
I hope this comes out sooner than later. If it does it will be a breakthrough that will lead to incredible projects for the pokemon fans.

Last edited:
Back