• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Pokémon Godot Engine

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
Years
I wanted to wait until I have a prototype ready, but I saw a few thread requesting for with background on the software, as well as the Pokemon Uranium remake.

This thread is for Pokemon game development using the Godot Engine.

For now, I have created an asset library for the overworld map here: https://github.com/mechPenSketch/grid_movements
It's far from completely for it purpose, but it originally meant just for a player to move in a grid. Plus, we can add on further from here via cloning.

As for the battles, I'm only did the GUI layout. If you like, I can publish it as it is, but to lay low, I can only set it privately, and only three more users can edit it. I need someone with github pro to keep the private repository.

Current status: Working on Battle System.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 6, 2020
Hey! Glad to hear you decided to use Godot. I'm the lead developer of Project-Uranium-Godot (The Pokemon Uranium remake). If you have any question on using godot feel free to join our discord. Link is in our GitHub.

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 15, 2024
Hey! Glad to hear you decided to use Godot. I'm the lead developer of Project-Uranium-Godot (The Pokemon Uranium remake). If you have any question on using godot feel free to join our discord. Link is in our GitHub.

Don't think you can post remakes of games that have been DMCA'd. Do you have permission from the devs of uranium to remake their game? That can also count as plagiarism.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 6, 2020
We do have the permission of the current devs of uranium. The original creator, ~JV~, has also given us the green light.

Last edited:

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
Years
Thanks. I'll be looking at your project for a while. Might also help a bit, depending on how well I understand the code.

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
Years
I've started a project with pokemon battle here: https://github.com/Pocket-Godot
Might not be touching it for a long time due to my other commitments, so I'm posting it there if others want to build it at their own pace.

My idea in this project is to work-top down; rather than starting at singles and work up, to doubles etc, I want to start with multi battles to include targeting system, and then work down to singles.

I wanted to do quad battles, also including a formation command to arrange how your pokemon is positioned. However, as it is my completely new idea, I'd understand if you want to start at doubles instead.

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
Years
I've made this post on my ko-fi account about a week ago: https://ko-fi.com/post/Project-RPG-Fragments-Z8Z42HTZU

Introduction

RPG Fragments are a series of Godot Projects that each contain a part of a Role-Playing Game (RPG). The user can pick which projects their idealized game needs and combine them into one.

Scenarios

Timmy wants to create an RPG like Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy. In the overworld, the (in-game) party walks in a grid system and have random encounters. The battle is turn-based.

Mr Moto wants to create an RPG too, albeit different from Timmy's. He envisions the overworld to be a 3D environment, with the party walking in all directions. The are no random encounters; all enemies battles are triggered by events. The battle system is Auto-Timed.

Matt's idea for an RPG is for the party in the overworld to move within the grid, but unlike Timmy's, all enemy encounters are event-based. The battle is turn-based, but the order is different that it goes by player's position, rather than their Agility stat.

Finally, Gao wants to write an RPG with a heartwarming story. Like Timmy and Matt's idea, the overworld is grid-based, but instead of a battle-system, a puzzle mini-game is triggered by events.

Why I'm doing this?

This genre is a complex game, and even if you specify its sub-genre, one game can be different from another. Using the above-mentioned Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy as examples, they are both JRPGs, but their combat system looks different. Using early series are a reference, Dragon Quest's is front viewed from the protagonist's perspective, while Final Fantasy is side-viewed, so you can see both the heroes and the enemies on the same screen.

Current Progress

I have posted the Overworld and Battle aspects on Github:

https://github.com/mechPenSketch/Jrpg-Fragment-Overworld

https://github.com/mechPenSketch/Jrpg-Fragment-TurnBased-Combat

They are both currently in progress, though, so they're not in the Godot Asset library yet.

After making both of them, I'll figure out how to combine both projects together. Combining files seem to be the straight-forward answer at first, but there are global files that could clash.

For now, I'm not working on the pokemon battle system yet as I'm in the process of adding the interface my FSM asset.

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
Years
Now that I'm done with my FSM plugin, I can next focus on this battle system. It's still buggy, but workable.

As of this update, the Fight button leads to moves to select, and you can go back to the command section.

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
Years
JRPG Fragment - Overworld V1.0 is out, though I still have alot more to go.

But in another new, Dialogic has reached v1.0, too. Once I revise on Snap Map, I'll decide whether to commit to my own work or implement Dialogic into the RPG overworld system instead.

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
Years
The Pokémon Battle System I'm making uses Dialogic, but there were some missing features on the latter, so I've made a few PRs to add them in. I'm now proceeding with developing the battle system, but until these features are added into the next version, my progress will be on branch next-event-without-action rather than master.

Last edited:

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
Years
Something a bit unrelated, but I've created Database for godot users to store in-game data. This would be helpful in the future for storing pokemon species data as well as moves and types. In the meantime, I also have to work on the battle animations for this battle system.

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
Years
I've created the game loop (a cycle of battle turn) as well as when the player wins/loses the battle. My next step is to add variation to the scene, which means more Pokémon, and more moves.

I will be using Database to store data for Pokémon species, moves and types, but along the way I might have to edit Database in the process.

Last edited:

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
Years
As an update, I've implemented different moves as well as their types and pp. I'm now working on switch pokemon out.

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
Years
I don't want to do this, but I might have to start from scratch. Not only is Godot updated, so is the assets Dialogic. Furthermore, I might have to revise on the GUI. Initially, I wanted it to be styled after Gen I games, but some parts requires...questionable design choices.

Back