• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Error] Can't open my game anymore.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 20, 2022
While I was starting Pokemon Essentials (v. 17. 2.) in RPG Maker XP my computer's battery died. After I charged my computer again I tried to open my game with RPG Maker, an Error message showed up that read: "Unexpected file format."

When I tried running my Game.exe this showed up: 2021-07-28.png

Then, I pressed the okay button and the opening screen appeared. After I pressed enter this showed up: 2021-07-28 (1).png

Now, I'm not able to open the game, to play the game or to edit the game. (The Editor also doesn't work)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 20, 2022
Where should I press play? It does nothing with the .exe version of the game. And I can't open the game with RPG Maker.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
The "Unexpected file format" error means that your main "Game.rxproj" file has been corrupted. This happens most often during an improper shutdown of the software (as you mentioned that your battery died). It's honestly not a big deal though, you can just replace that file with a clean one from Essentials. Chances are, though, this is not the only file that got corrupted in your project. If you get a message like "Failed to load Actor data", this means that the file located at "Data/Actors.rxdata" is corrupted as well. This is not an issue either, as these standard RMXP files are unused by Essentials. So you can just replace them with clean files from Essentials without worrying about data loss. RMXP will complain about these one by one; if any more error messages pop up, replace the afflicted files with clean ones from Essentials. You'll be out of luck if your map data files get corrupted, as there's no way to get those back unless you have a backup. These don't get corrupted too frequently though.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 20, 2022
IT WORKS! THANKS ALOT, Luka-sj!

BTW Are you the same Luka-sj that made pokemon essentials? If yes, thanks for creating it!

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
Idk if there are other people with my alias, but I definitely 100% did not create Essentials. Essentials was originally created by Flameguru and Poccil, and has actively been developed by Maruno for a decade now.

v19 (and hopefully beyond) are running on the MKXP-Z engine by Roza.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Dec 15, 2023
Okay I know it's been a year since this conversation happened but I was wondering if you could help me with the same problem I have a class error and I'm guessing I have to do the same thing that the other guy did to fix it but the thing is I don't know how to do that so could you please explain me how to replace the file and where it is thank you

Back