• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Daily Graphics Request Thread

Years
Yo Daily writers, in need of graphics for your articles? Whether it's for cover images or for illustrations, anything to help spice up your words? Ask in here, then!

Please fill out the following:

- the title and/or link to your article
So that we know what you'd like it used for, of course. Also to show that you do actually have an article up at the moment.

-Is this a cover image or not?
Yes or no.

- as much info about the graphic as you feel you need to give
I mean, you could just be like "I need a graphic for an article about eevee", but that's also very vague, and there's no telling what you'd get as a result. Now, if that's what you'd like then that's fine, but if you'd like something a bit more specific, then feel free to fill out as many of the things below:

- any basic ideas
- any text involved, if any
- any images you might like to have used for the graphic
- size
- any desired animations included
- if you'd like certain colors used
- or maybe a certain style
- anything else you can think of! :D

Guidelines:

The image below is a guide to how you should design your feature images.
Spoiler:

Feature images should ideally be 720p or 1080p. The height they appear as in articles is generally capped. Export feature images as JPEGs, as PNG images are usually left alone by WordPress and get pretty big. As a rule, only use PNGs for fine pixel art. As a guideline, try to keep the file size of the image under 100 KB.

Feature article images may be clipped when displayed on Daily or The PokéCommunity. Images may be automatically cropped to fit a certain container, and it's often cropped at a variety of ratios. The yellow "subject zone" defines the area you must try to keep the subject matter in. Images are always centered. At times, the feature image may be cropped vertically to fit the contents of the image, so try to keep the subject of your image within the red "safe zone". Avoid placing additional content outside the subject zone.

Try to avoid placing text in your feature images, as not only does it often get cropped, but at various scales it's actually hard to see. Adding logos are fine, but make sure they're within the subject zone.

These are recommendations. At times, it may be hard to adhere — particularly if you're using screenshots or material that you didn't create. That's okay! Sometimes it's the easiest option, and sometimes official art which doesn't necessarily fit is the sensible option, particularly for breaking news articles.

Last edited by a moderator:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I'll start things off!

What I'm requesting is a cover image template for a nicknaming article series. Alternatively, something specific for this article with the knowledge that there'll be more articles like these down the track (maybe not frequently, but certainly consistently).

Quick summary - every Pokemon we decide to do a series of articles on, we have an article requesting nicknames to be submitted for the Pokemon (here's the current one for Eevee), and a follow-up article will give mock name rates for said submissions. These follow up articles will be written from the POV of the Name Rater character (ala the Blaine article already done). I'd like cover images for the latter articles (the former can just have official art of the Pokemon as used there).

As this is series of articles, something that can easily added to for each article may be helpful. My initial thoughts is for the base to include the Name Rater (either something from the games or something original created that features him) and a space for the relevant Pokemon to be overlaid or somesuch.

Preferably without text (unless it's using a screenshot from the games ala http://daily.pokecommunity.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/namerater.jpg - in which case just no more additional text), size/dimensions suitable for an article cover image as per the guidelines, and we probably should have animations for cover images anyway.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
I'll start things off!

What I'm requesting is a cover image template for a nicknaming article series. Alternatively, something specific for this article with the knowledge that there'll be more articles like these down the track (maybe not frequently, but certainly consistently).

Quick summary - every Pokemon we decide to do a series of articles on, we have an article requesting nicknames to be submitted for the Pokemon (here's the current one for Eevee), and a follow-up article will give mock name rates for said submissions. These follow up articles will be written from the POV of the Name Rater character (ala the Blaine article already done). I'd like cover images for the latter articles (the former can just have official art of the Pokemon as used there).

As this is series of articles, something that can easily added to for each article may be helpful. My initial thoughts is for the base to include the Name Rater (either something from the games or something original created that features him) and a space for the relevant Pokemon to be overlaid or somesuch.

Preferably without text (unless it's using a screenshot from the games ala http://daily.pokecommunity.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/namerater.jpg - in which case just no more additional text), size/dimensions suitable for an article cover image as per the guidelines, and we probably should have animations for cover images anyway.

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you were going for but this idea is what came to my mind when reading over your request:

Spoiler:

The Name Rater is almost always an old man in each game, and I based the background on his house from ORAS. The Pokémon in question can be easily added into his speech bubble like so:

Spoiler:

Please let me know what you think, if there are any changes you'd like to be made--or if you were thinking of something completely different.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
I'd like something for my 'What's New, Shinx?!' series if possible please.

link 1 - http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=367040
link 2 - http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=367072
link 3 - http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=367189

It'd be a cover image for the article series and I'm thinking a screenshot of PC's ROM Hacking section from the index blurred in the background, a picture of some Shinx artwork on top with 'What's new, Shinx?!' written over it.

Did I do this right?

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you were going for but this idea is what came to my mind when reading over your request:

Spoiler:

The Name Rater is almost always an old man in each game, and I based the background on his house from ORAS. The Pokémon in question can be easily added into his speech bubble like so:

Spoiler:

Please let me know what you think, if there are any changes you'd like to be made--or if you were thinking of something completely different.
I think that's pretty good! I'd say that would work just fine, and the speech bubble was a good idea. Cheers, Rivvon!

It'd be a cover image for the article series and I'm thinking a screenshot of PC's ROM Hacking section from the index blurred in the background, a picture of some Shinx artwork on top with 'What's new, Shinx?!' written over it.

Did I do this right?
Hooold up a moment, maybe we should discuss the article series name more first. I mean, the name is cute, but we do also want the article series names to be usually indicative of the content. A random reader not familiar with your love for Shinx won't know it's about ROM Hacking. :< I don't mind a Shinx being made a mascot of the article series (ala "Blaine's Facts" makes some allusion to it being about facts/trivia), but the name needs some tweaking imo.

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Hooold up a moment, maybe we should discuss the article series name more first. I mean, the name is cute, but we do also want the article series names to be usually indicative of the content. A random reader not familiar with your love for Shinx won't know it's about ROM Hacking. :< I don't mind a Shinx being made a mascot of the article series (ala "Blaine's Facts" makes some allusion to it being about facts/trivia), but the name needs some tweaking imo.
Sorry for jumping the gun but the thread has been there for a bit, it was suggested by Christos and nobody has said anything different about it being used yet. If you want to suggest something feel free ^_^

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
Years

Did I do this right?
i will be more than glad to help you with this if you want me to :)
it is bed time for me now but if you want i can definitely get this done soon!
if so, let me know later on skype what you want as text on it, as title might change i suppose? ;)​

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
I think that's pretty good! I'd say that would work just fine, and the speech bubble was a good idea. Cheers, Rivvon!

I'm very glad you like it! I'll keep the file handy for when more of these articles are written up.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
A short-notice one. The Make a Mega article (see thread in here or the first draft in the subsection) may need a cover image. Here's a few ideas off the top of my head. Something which could be resused (e.g. a base image that one can append a relevant image on top of for each article) may be better as well, because this is an article series.

- Simply just the image of the new mega form that will go in the article (in this case, Kirby/Fairy's Roserade mega form). However, this would need to be changed to be in the aspect ratio of 4:3 or 4:3 or 16:9 so it's ideal for the thumbnails (atm it is too tall!). (Additional reusable background to extend it?)
- Mega stone, maybe with a background.
--- optionally, space for a a sprite of e.g. Roserade that could be added to the side. (If this happens, thoughts on just showing the Pokemon's regular form, or instead using the mega form that was designed?)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
A short-notice one. The Make a Mega article (see thread in here or the first draft in the subsection) may need a cover image. Here's a few ideas off the top of my head. Something which could be resused (e.g. a base image that one can append a relevant image on top of for each article) may be better as well, because this is an article series.

- Simply just the image of the new mega form that will go in the article (in this case, Kirby/Fairy's Roserade mega form). However, this would need to be changed to be in the aspect ratio of 4:3 or 4:3 or 16:9 so it's ideal for the thumbnails (atm it is too tall!). (Additional reusable background to extend it?)
- Mega stone, maybe with a background.
--- optionally, space for a a sprite of e.g. Roserade that could be added to the side. (If this happens, thoughts on just showing the Pokemon's regular form, or instead using the mega form that was designed?)
I put together this cover image, please let me know what you think:
Spoiler:
Aspects of the image can be reused in upcoming articles for this series, such as the overall layout, "Make-a-Mega" "logo," and background (which is a blurred/altered screenshot of the orb that surrounds a Pokémon during Mega Evolution).

I really love the Mega Roserade art provided so I felt it would be a good choice to keep it. Again please let me know what you think, if there should be any changes, tweaks, etc.!

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I put together this cover image, please let me know what you think:
Spoiler:
Aspects of the image can be reused in upcoming articles for this series, such as the overall layout, "Make-a-Mega" "logo," and background (which is a blurred/altered screenshot of the orb that surrounds a Pokémon during Mega Evolution).

I really love the Mega Roserade art provided so I felt it would be a good choice to keep it. Again please let me know what you think, if there should be any changes, tweaks, etc.!
I think that's pretty good! I don't mind the mega form being in the cover image. Transparent non-mega sprite is a nice touch.

Looking at it with a critical eye, maybe the 'Make a Mega' text could be in a different colour than red as it's not as readable as it could be imo. Another thing is that the background for the mega Roserade source image gets a bit in the way, so I sent a VM to Kirby about that - if she can supply a version without the background, could that be replaced? No biggie if it isn't available. And maybe others would disagree with my thoughts that the lack of the green-and-white background would be better in the cover image, haha.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
I think that's pretty good! I don't mind the mega form being in the cover image. Transparent non-mega sprite is a nice touch.

Looking at it with a critical eye, maybe the 'Make a Mega' text could be in a different colour than red as it's not as readable as it could be imo. Another thing is that the background for the mega Roserade source image gets a bit in the way, so I sent a VM to Kirby about that - if she can supply a version without the background, could that be replaced? No biggie if it isn't available. And maybe others would disagree with my thoughts that the lack of the green-and-white background would be better in the cover image, haha.

If a version with no background can be provided, I could most certainly replace what I currently have. I actually think that would give me more room to work with the regular Roserade beside it, so I'd be happy to use a transparent background version of the image. But if such a file can't be procured I'd have no problems keeping it the way it is now, either.

I agree with you on the text color; I tried out a few different colors, please let me know which you like best or if maybe I should try another color entirely: blue / yellow / green

bobandbill

one more time
Years
If a version with no background can be provided, I could most certainly replace what I currently have. I actually think that would give me more room to work with the regular Roserade beside it, so I'd be happy to use a transparent background version of the image. But if such a file can't be procured I'd have no problems keeping it the way it is now, either.

I agree with you on the text color; I tried out a few different colors, please let me know which you like best or if maybe I should try another color entirely: blue / yellow / green
Green or yellow from those imo, in that order (content with both). I'm curious how a dark grey/black may look; problem is that may clash with the black in the mega stone.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Another short notice one (ideally article gets up within the next two days), apologies in advance. It's for the PCL article. Kirby/Fairy was already to make a series of cover images but for this first one will be too busy.

Had one simplistic idea that shouldn't be too time consuming. Of the four groups in PCL each have their own mascot Pokemon (Aegislash, Milotic, Darkrai and Castform). A simple arrangement of them in a row, with some 'PCL' text in the middle would work fine (again in 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio) imo. So...

[Aegislash.png] [Milotic.png] PCL [Darkrai.png] [Castform.png]

That's just a suggestion - any other think can be created that's relevant to battling (could even just be 'PCL' with a simple background).

bobandbill

one more time
Years
That is frankly amazing, especially on the short notice. Will be using that for sure! =)

Thanks for making that. No worries with no transparency, it's fine as it is and I think transparent background images when used as the cover image get a background colour added regardless (at most I may crop a bit of white space out, will see how it ends up looking on WordPress as-is first though).

Etherion

I'll just be around if anyone wants any requests~

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Oh do we just want to use etherion's cover for the first PCL article? That actually makes my life way easier haha. I'll have my whole idea worked out for the next one then. Sorry I Only just saw this!

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Yeah, I made the request because you said you were busy with rl stuff, Kirby, to make it easier on you (and not hold up the article as well). No worries, got a fine one at any rate, haha.

Last edited:
Back