• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

HGSS Summary Screen + How to Make a Summary Screen

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
qewa7eV.png
fZ7id9H.png

y4IJY21.png
DOMXIWH.png

So right now, if you want a summary screen that's not the default FR one, you have to use the BW-styled one. But that's closed source, and has painfully little documentation; if it's not already compatible with your hack, you're out of luck. And thus I bring this. And also an extensive, painful documentation of every change you'll need in order to make your own, or to successfully install this.

To add this to your hack without using the patch, you'll need UNLZ-GBA, APE, and a hex editor. For as much as I like HMA, I only used it to insert the EXP and HP bars; while its image insertion techniques are convenient, they're a bit incompatible with what you need to do for this. I used HxD. If you want to make your own summary screen or edit the graphics of this one, you'll also need Sphere Editor, TileMapStudio, and an indexer like IrfanView.

How to insert:
Spoiler:

Here's some documentation of various changes the patch makes - majority of these are in the place of the original summary screen and should thus be relatively compatible with hacks that have not already changed the summary screen. Most of the other changes are documented in BluRose's brilliant post here.

Spoiler:
My recommendation is to crawl through these locations in your hack and file-compare them with a vanilla FR ROM. If nothing conflicts, you're golden. If something does conflict, figure out what you've changed, note it down, then go back after patching and make the necessary changes.

Notes:
- 16-character item and ability names will not show up as cramped, unless they're in all-caps, and in that case why are you still having them be all-caps? It's almost 2021. Pull up your socks.

Things you'll have to do yourself:
- A lot of strings have been left unedited, which means they'll be cut off. Ability descriptions are the big one; egg states are also spaced weirdly.
- If you have a thing that puts the little physical/special/status icon on the move description window, you'll need to figure out where the offsets of those are and modify them.
- This is, as far as I'm aware, NOT COMPATIBLE with the IV display routine or the nature-coloured stats routine; I haven't tested them myself but it's probably safe to assume they aren't. It probably wouldn't be too much work to make them compatible, but I'm not good at ASM lol.

Things that could stand to be improved:
- The screens still scroll in from the right as you advance instead of from the left. I haven't looked into how to resolve this yet; if someone else would like to, search around in pokemon_summary_screen.c for the value 240 to orient yourself.
- The egg menu is kind of ugly because it prints "EGG" as the species name directly in the middle of the screen. If someone wants to figure out how to just make it not display, I'll update things.

Download it here.

Juaquin472

Juakobb7
Years
Hi Friend is the first time we met and that but I just wanted to tell you if you can make me a summary screen Style Sword and Shield for me hackrom please. 🙏🙏🙏

PD:If you don't know what it is I'll send you these pictures.

SS_summary_1.jpg

SS_summary_3.jpg

SS_summary_4.jpg

SS_summary_5.jpg

Years
This is what I've been looking for! Thanks man, this should be a great help.

I wish you could make another tutorial like how to edit the Pokémon Party Screen without using a patch.

Years
  • Seen yesterday
@Juaquin472

This is not a request thread. Also, these graphics will definitely not fit within GBA limitations.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 25, 2022
This is great, thank you!

After a bit of playing around, I've got both the nature coloured stats and IV rating working.

Coloured stats works just fine when inserted after this patch (didn't test inserting it before patching, so can't comment on whether it'll still work or not).

IV rating requires some of the offsets in the scripts, and the offsets you insert it to be adjusted (anything in the 0x137XXX range needs to be increased by 4); as well as the x,y coordinates to be adjusted for the new layout.

Modified version of DoesntKnowHowToPlay's code below
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Replace 0x08XXXXXX with the pointer to the image

At 0x137BF4, place 00 49 08 47 followed by a reversed pointer to the code above plus one.
At 0x137BE8, place 01 20 03 E0.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Oct 30, 2023
If I've already inserted the B/W Summary Screen in my hack is there no way to replace it with this? Does anyone know of this :o because this summary screen looks really good, wish I could use it

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
Update patch:

https://mega.nz/file/4bIBHB4D#nfVGfsgfuKliOcM1DAsY4HQ_T3Id7eO2B-gJ5ChiPss

Change the address to 0xF50000 and modify a few things to make the icon pss split routine compatible

Update Routine icon spli:

Code:
@0813A130: 0x2F
@0813A17B: 0x47
@0813A1A0: [Pointer to Routine, plus 1 (one).]

Spoiler:

Back