• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Emerald 80x80 Sprites

Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2021
Not sure if this is the best place, but wanted to drop this here:
https://github.com/froggestspirit/pokeemerald/tree/80x80Sprites
I recently released a branch for those who use the decomp, that replaces the 64x64 sprites with the DS's 80x80 ones.
For a long time, people said it wasn't possible, or it was too much work. It's not perfect, but I'm pretty happy with the results. This works by creating additional sprites that mimic the main sprites position, rotation, etc. I've adjusted the positioning of the healthboxes, and moved the main battle textbox down 8 pixels. All Pokemon should be using their D/P sprites, with the exception of Castform and Unown. Trainers are the same emerald sprites, but on an 80x80 canvas, so they can be upscaled/replaced if needed.
There's a few known bugs as mentioned on the github, and there can be breif moments of a sprite being cut off during an animation (like when smoochum is sent out in the gif attached). This generally only happens in double battles, since the GBA has a sprite limit per scanline (Transformations double the sprite canvas size).

Attachments

• 8080.gif
    8080.gif
    509.5 KB · Views: 508
  • 80802.gif
    80802.gif
    807.5 KB · Views: 442
  • 80803.gif
    80803.gif
    1.3 MB · Views: 365
  • pokeemerald_modern-0.png
    pokeemerald_modern-0.png
    8 KB · Views: 426
  • pokeemerald_modern-1.png
    pokeemerald_modern-1.png
    9 KB · Views: 397
  • pokeemerald_modern-2.png
    pokeemerald_modern-2.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 343
  • pokeemerald_modern-3.png
    pokeemerald_modern-3.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 376
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 9, 2023
huh, this looks like a potential game changer, when(if) everything's ironed out.

I can see re-creating gen 4 in gba, so we can use all the gen 3 tools. XD

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
This will be possible on Fire Red too? 🤔
If it was possible to accomplish in Pokeemerald, it should be just as possible to do in Pokefirered, yeah.
Hunch says it'll need some extra tweaks to make it work there though, and you may need to take different edge cases into account, such as the animation that is triggered when you give a medicine or a Rare Candy to a Pokémon.

Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2023
Is it possible to only replace the trainer sprites with 80x80 ones? And the pokémon sprites stay the same size (64x64).
Or are they somehow tied together?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
Something I'm hoping to see from this is to have the this being toggable via a script. So you can use normal sprites for 99% of the game (so double battles and such aren't affected), but then have the 80x80 sprite for special boss battles.

My main concern is the hassle of getting the sprite engine being swapped being stable, but more so weather the player's side is tied to the enemy sizes or not.

The other obvious use for this is Gigantamax, though that would involve changing a 64x64 sprite to a 80x80 sprite mid battle, which I'm sure would be much harder than setting sprite sizes pre-battle.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Oct 14, 2023
Hi!

I've been trying to compile this code, but I keep getting this error:

Code:
`rawMatrix' referenced in section `.text' of gflib/sprite.o: defined in discarded section `COMMON' of gflib/sprite.o
`rawMatrix' referenced in section `.text' of gflib/sprite.o: defined in discarded section `COMMON' of gflib/sprite.o
`rawMatrix' referenced in section `.text' of src/battle_anim_mons.o: defined in discarded section `COMMON' of gflib/sprite.o
`rawMatrix' referenced in section `.text' of src/battle_anim_mons.o: defined in discarded section `COMMON' of gflib/sprite.o
`rawMatrix' referenced in section `.text' of src/pokedex.o: defined in discarded section `COMMON' of gflib/sprite.o
`rawMatrix' referenced in section `.text' of src/pokedex.o: defined in discarded section `COMMON' of gflib/sprite.o
`rawMatrix' referenced in section `.text' of src/pokedex_cry_screen.o: defined in discarded section `COMMON' of gflib/sprite.o
`rawMatrix' referenced in section `.text' of src/pokemon_animation.o: defined in discarded section `COMMON' of gflib/sprite.o

I've tried merging with a more updated version of pokeemerald, and adding an extern definition for rawMatrix to sprite.h, but I couldn't get that to help. Do you know what might be causing this, or how I can fix it?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Hi!

I've been trying to compile this code, but I keep getting this error:

Code:
`rawMatrix' referenced in section `.text' of src/pokedex_cry_screen.o: defined in discarded section `COMMON' of gflib/sprite.o
`rawMatrix' referenced in section `.text' of src/pokemon_animation.o: defined in discarded section `COMMON' of gflib/sprite.o

I've tried merging with a more updated version of pokeemerald, and adding an extern definition for rawMatrix to sprite.h, but I couldn't get that to help. Do you know what might be causing this, or how I can fix it?

You can solve this by changing the declaration of rawMatrix in gflib/sprite.c to:
Code:
EWRAM_DATA struct ObjAffineSrcData rawMatrix[OAM_MATRIX_COUNT];

Back