• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Mar 1, 2013
Another question; In black city, there is a guy telling me to battle all the 10 trainers outside, but i can seriously only find 7 of them. I have serched behind all the buildings etc. Do they appear later or is ther something i must do first?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Another question; In black city, there is a guy telling me to battle all the 10 trainers outside, but i can seriously only find 7 of them. I have serched behind all the buildings etc. Do they appear later or is ther something i must do first?

If it takes you a long time to find Black City then less trainers appear than the maximum 10. So if you completed the game in a few hours you'd have all 10, but ofc that's impossible, which is annoying of GF. You'll need to connect with other trainers with local wifi in order to get more :(

Aaand if you don't visit it everyday, you'll start losing all 7 and the buildings associated with them. :x

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Can you pass over other abilities then Dream world abilities via breeding?

Not quite sure what you are asking....but Pokemon have always been able to pass abilities as the Abilities are default for Pokemon. If they don't get their Hidden ability then they get the ability they are normally born with.

Years
  • Seen Mar 1, 2013
Not quite sure what you are asking....but Pokemon have always been able to pass abilities as the Abilities are default for Pokemon. If they don't get their Hidden ability then they get the ability they are normally born with.
Ok, I'll say it like this:
I want a Adamant Bouffalant with Sap Sipper. During my breeding, i got a few adamant ones, unfortunatly, they all had Reckless for ability. I was just wondering if there is a way to increase the chance of getting a specific abillity.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Dream World abilities have a 60% chance of appearing if the Dream World Pokemon was Female. Only the Mothers can pass on the Dream World ability and they cannot be bred with Ditto.

So basically only way to breed Dream World abilities is to acquire a Female Pokemon of the species you are trying to breed with its Dream World ability, the Father MUST be male and from the same breed group.

Genderless and Ditto cannot pass on Dream World abilities. Males also cannot pass on Dream World abilities.

Years
  • Seen Mar 1, 2013
Dream World abilities have a 60% chance of appearing if the Dream World Pokemon was Female. Only the Mothers can pass on the Dream World ability and they cannot be bred with Ditto.

So basically only way to breed Dream World abilities is to acquire a Female Pokemon of the species you are trying to breed with its Dream World ability, the Father MUST be male and from the same breed group.

Genderless and Ditto cannot pass on Dream World abilities. Males also cannot pass on Dream World abilities.
But im not talking about DW abilities! im talking about normal abilities. Pokemon that have 2 Abilities have a chance to have one of them, no? so is there a way to increase the chance of having one of the 2 abilities by passing it on via breeding?

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Ok, I'll say it like this:
I want a Adamant Bouffalant with Sap Sipper. During my breeding, i got a few adamant ones, unfortunatly, they all had Reckless for ability. I was just wondering if there is a way to increase the chance of getting a specific abillity.

No, there is no way of increasing your chance of getting specific non-Dream World ability.

Flute

Full-time loser
Years
Birthday

Hello users! My birthday was eight days ago [07/28] and my mother was nice enough to buy me BW. I've never played 5th generation, so I was wondering if you, the community, could give me any tips, tricks and cheatcodes free pokemon lapdance advice! What pokemon should I have at the beginning? What's the best starter in your opinion?

Thanks in advance!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Hello users! My birthday was eight days ago [07/28] and my mother was nice enough to buy me BW. I've never played 5th generation, so I was wondering if you, the community, could give me any tips, tricks and cheatcodes free pokemon lapdance advice! What pokemon should I have at the beginning? What's the best starter in your opinion?

Thanks in advance!

Happy birthday for eight days ago! Unfortunately this kinda question fitted in the Quick Questions sticky sooo I merged it here in case anyone had anything in particular to add. In my experience, Snivy is a lot harder to use at the start, whereas Oshawott and Tepig are a lot easier - Tepig especially for its typing (and Scrafty in particular is useful at the elite four, beating 3/4 of the people there, while for early on, Tepig's evolution line is effective against most things!) I'll leave other suggestions up to everyone else, buuut hopefully you have fun playing through B/W and feel free to ask as many questions as you want in this thread!

Years

Thanks in advance!

I'll give you my thoughts on each starter.

As Nica said, Snivy is the hardest to use due to low offensive power and a terrible movepool. It's built as a support-based Pokemon so don't expect it hitting as hard as the other two. Snivy's main selling points are Defense, Special Defense and Speed while having low HP, Attack and Special Attack. I only recommend Snivy for advanced players or for those who like it.

Tepig is OK, but it's stuck with weak moves for a while. Once it gets Hammer Arm (from the Reminder Girl) as an Emboar it starts getting good. It also has a good movepool. It gets a Fighting-type upon evolution and it hits pretty hard with its main stats being Attack, Special Attack and HP while its Defense, Special Defense and Speed are less than stellar. Tepig is the middle-of-the-road choice based on what I studied.

Oshawott was what I chose when I played Black and I had a good run with it. Its movepool is not too shallow and its stats are balanced (as is common with Water-type starters). It can also use both physical and special moves effectively. It's a good choice for beginners so if you're feeling doubt, pick Oshawott so that you have an easy run through the game.

Overall, I'd give these ratings for the starters:

495.gif
3/10
498.gif
7/10
501.gif
9/10

Jiggly Jello

DJ Squiggles
Years
Vanillite training questions

I just recently started using my Vanillite who is at level 22. I can't decide what moves to give him as he levels up. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Jiggly Jello

DJ Squiggles
Years
I meant more like which particular moves should I teach him? He is level 22 and knows:

Uproar
Icy Wind
Avalanche
Taunt (a mistake I made from reading the description wrong, thinking it prevented attacks for 3 turns)

Is that considered an effective move list at that level?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
The best guide is this page about Vanilluxe, the final evolution of Vanillite. The level up movelists are similar; ignore the Start section (moves learned at birth) with exception to Weather Ball, which I believe is provided when you first evolve Vanilluxe if I remember correctly.

All TMs and breeding moves are also listed.

Per the comment that it only learns Ice moves, this is generally true for attacking moves from Level 10 onwards with exception to Mirror Shot at Lv.26. There are some status changing moves as well in the list that are not Ice in type.

Cyclone

Jiggly Jello

DJ Squiggles
Years
Now that I know this is here...If I put my Tranquill in battle with the Lucky Egg equipped and gave Tynamo the Exp. Share, would Tynamo receive extra experience based off the Lucky Egg boost?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Now that I know this is here...If I put my Tranquill in battle the Lucky Egg equipped and gave Tynamo the Exp. Share, would Tynamo receive extra experience based off the Lucky Egg boost?

I don't get what you're saying here, but I'll assume Tranquill has the Lucky Egg while Tynamo has the EXP. Share. When Tranquill defeats a Pokemon, both Tranquill and Tynamo will get half of the EXP, but the latter will get 1.5x more EXP than it would receive thanks to the Lucky Egg.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Rats, I was hoping the Egg would help Tynamo get some extra extra Xp! I don't suppose there is a second Lucky Egg anywhere??

The Lucky Egg boost only applies to the Pokemon who's holding it.

Anyway, you can possibly get another Lucky Egg from the sunglasses guy in Route 13. This guy will give you 1 random item a day, so you can save right in front of him, talk to him and try to get the Lucky Egg. If the item isn't a Lucky Egg, reset and try again. Note that Route 13 is only accessible post-National Dex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back