• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Advance Generation Question & Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2010
Does Soft Sand affect the damage that Sandstorm does? (And similarly, Nevermelt Ice for Hail, etc.)

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2010
^ Thanks :P.

Another one: In Emerald after you beat the game and you open up the battledome or whatever it's called, if you attach berries to the pokemon that you use in the various competitions and the berry is used during the competition, is it reset after the competition is over?

I'm asking because I think I want to teach my Walrein Rest, but I don't really feel like growing tons and tons of chesto berry trees. Oh, and I haven't yet beat the game, so I can't test it out yet XD.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
It will regenerate after the battle is over. You won't lose any held items in the Battle Frontier, only in battles with normal trainers or wild Pokemon. Basically, if you don't gain experience from the battle, it's one of those kinds of battles that you won't lost your item, if that makes any sense. This should also apply to the Trainer Tower.

However, in the Battle Pyramid, I don't think the item will reset itself after every battle because those facilities are trial places. But after you leave, then yes, it should be back. Can't carry items in the Pike iirc, so no worrying about that.

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2010
Is there another prize for winning the Master Rank Beauty Contest other than the ribbon? I just won it with my Milotic and for some reason I thought I would get a prize, but I didn't =(. LOL :P

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Is there another prize for winning the Master Rank Beauty Contest other than the ribbon? I just won it with my Milotic and for some reason I thought I would get a prize, but I didn't =(. LOL :P
In R/S/E: The artist would make a splendid artwork of your Pokemon

In D/P/Pt: You get the Glass Stage accesory.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I don't think so. I'm pretty sure GBA games are region locked, so it won't work, but don't quote me on that. My SoulSilver is Japanese, and I can't Pal Park with my English GBA games, so I'm pretty sure about this.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
Years
What level will my traded pokemon obey me up to with each Gym Badge?

Also when do you get the Exp Share?
This is in Sapphire btw.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
2 badges - lv.30
4 badges - lv.50
6 badges - lv.70
8 badges - lv.100 (infinite, actually, but lv.100 is the maximum you can have).

Also, I know in the Gen IV HeartGold and SoulSilver games, 1 badge makes them obey you up to lv.20, but I don't know if this applies in Gen III, or even in other Gen IV games, so don't blame me if that's not the case.

Exp. Share - Deliver the letter to Steven Stone inside the Granite Cave, then go back to Devon Corporation in Rustboro City, speak to Chairman Stone, and he'll give you an Exp. Share

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2010
Most of the pokemon advice threads I look up all talk about how easy fighting opponents in the game is, since it is artificial intelligence. I am apparently completely retarded, then, because I can't seem to win in the singles battle tournament in Emerald =(.

I've only gotten to face Tucker once, and he wrecked me. Other times, I've even died just to the normal trainers.

Is there any way I can set up my team's moves and/or hold items better? Note: all the hold items have to be obtainable in the current Emerald game I'm playing, I am not going to get new pokemon or level lowbies up, and all new moves I teach them also have to be easily obtainable. It's possible that my team just sucks and I don't have a chance, but I thought I'd try to get some advice here.

Here is my team:

Metagross @ King's Rock, level 65
Psychic
Earthquake
Brick Break
Meteor Mash

Walrein @ Chesto Berry, level 65
Ice Beam
Surf
Rest
Body Slam

Cradily @ Leftovers, level 65
Giga Drain
Toxic
Double Team
Confuse Ray

For the most part, Metagross can take care of just about everything. For anything that's not a type advantage or disadvantage for any of them, I use Cradily to sort of be evasive by keeping the opponent confused and spamming double team till just about nothing hits it, and healing with leftovers and giga drain till Toxic and hitting themselves with confusion finishes them off.

The main problem I have been running into: I'll often use Metagross's Earthquake on just about anything that's not weak to ground, but a lot of times the pokemon will have a focus band so it holds on to one HP and then it uses Counter and OHKOs my Metagross.

Some things have done that to Cradily, too, where I'll use Giga Drain against a water type, it'll Focus Band hold on to 1 HP and then Mirror Coat it back.

That's not my only problem, though -- I die to other random things, too.

Any suggestions for changing up my movesets and/or items?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Well...Metagross is good...apart from Psychic. It's a special attack (psychic was one of the special types in Gen III). Play to its' strengths, and give it something like Shadow Ball, or Thunder/Ice Punch (if you use Ice Punch, you can easily pwn his Salamence due to Intimidate being blocked by Clear Body). ignore that, they're special types.

Walrein....give it a Lum Berry, incase you get hit by another status during the battle. You've played to its' strengths well, with water/ice attacks, as they're special. Body Slam is meh. I'd give it Toxic, as with Toxic and Rest, you could stall things out. Obviously, if you don't have Toxic because you used it on Cradily....tutor it Sleep Talk (man in Fortree does it for you). RestTalk Walrein is just...epic.

Cradily...Double Team, and evasion in general, aren't that handy, as the odds are when an attack hits, it turns critical. I would advise something like this: Toxic / Giga Drain / Stockpile / Swallow. You can Stockpile, heal with Swallow/Giga Drain, and stall them out with Toxic.

Sandstorm is good, but maybe you should lead with Walrein, as it doesn't benefit from Sandstorm, and does better without, whereas Metagross benefits from it.

Hope I helped!

Last edited:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Well...Metagross is good...apart from Psychic. It's a special attack (psychic was one of the special types in Gen III). Play to its' strengths, and give it something like Shadow Ball, or Thunder/Ice Punch (if you use Ice Punch, you can easily pwn his Salamence due to Intimidate being blocked by Clear Body).

Actually, both Ice Punch and Thunderpunch were Special types in 3rd gen. Personally I like to use Agility with Metagross since chances are it can survive an attack, speed up, then go on to sweep at least a few Pokemon.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Does the pokemon's nature or even the other stuff like "happily eats anything" affects it's performance in battle?

Yes. Nature specifies a stat that will be higher than normal and one that will be weaker than normal (Atk +, Sp. Def - for instance) with the exception of five natures which won't affect stats at all. The "happily eats anything" refers to the Pokemon's Individual Value (IV) that is the highest. Unless you're breeding, you have little control over IV but you'd want to catch a Pokemon whose nature bolsters its strong points (a fast Pokemon with a Speed + nature, for instance).

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
Years
Can you catch a Carvahna with an Old Rod? If so, where? If not, where can I get a Good Rod, and THEN where can I catch Carvahna?
This is Sapphire btw.

Also, is Steel Wing Okay to teach to Swablu, atleast for something temporary?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back