• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Saddest Anime Death?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
This thread will obvious contain spoilers.

What was an anime death (permanent, in this case) that made you feel very upset? I actually cried when Ash died at the end of Banana Fish, and Mae's death remains to be one of the most upsetting deaths in anime history for me. & Sasha (Attack on Titan)'s death was really upsetting to me, too, I really liked her, and her death pissed me off.

(Please be serious when answering this thread, btw.)

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
One Anime I hold dear to me is Code Lyoko. It's a low budget French Anime(one of its authors went on to do Oban Star Racers so CL is Anime in my book) and while the main protagonists cheated death on numerous occasions(basically to the point of becoming a meme back in the day before they were a thing), one scene cemented its place forever in my memory. The second to last Episode entailed what would be the final battle with the Antagonist or a Computer Program named Xana. It's creator happened to be the Father of one of the protagonists and they had found a way to destroy Xana once and for all. Unfortunately, they ran into a snag or problem when attempting to do so and the Father, in front of his Daughter, opted to sacrifice himself in order to destroy the program he had created. That sacrificial act is nothing new in Anime or other forms of Media(Star Wars comes to mind for me) but her Father was all she had since her Mother was missing and presumed dead after being kidnapped(and she is an only child). It was an unexpected outcome and yet they foreshadowed his demise earlier in the Episode since the Daughter had a dream about it and initially didn't want to go through with the plan out of fear. That made the Father's demise all the more painful.

Years
There have been a lot of really sad deaths in anime and it's really hard to pick just one. I think a really sad death that most people might overlook though comes from Violet Evergarden. Not the one responsible for the entire plot of the show though, rather there is an episode later on in the show where a single mother with a terminal illness dies, leaving her child behind. That episode was brilliantly written and was definitely one of the most heart-wrenching parts of an already pretty damn sad show.

Years
There have been a lot of really sad deaths in anime and it's really hard to pick just one. I think a really sad death that most people might overlook though comes from Violet Evergarden. Not the one responsible for the entire plot of the show though, rather there is an episode later on in the show where a single mother with a terminal illness dies, leaving her child behind. That episode was brilliantly written and was definitely one of the most heart-wrenching parts of an already pretty damn sad show.

YESSS! Violet Evergarden is my favourite anime and this episode absolutely destroyed me. I spent a good half an hour crying after initially watching it. It was beautifully done and watching the daughter read the letters was the most touching thing!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Spoilering this just in case! These may not be the saddest per se but these deaths hit me the hardest.

Spoiler:

Years
clannad: afterstory, anohana spoiler!!!
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
clannad: afterstory, anohana spoiler!!!
Spoiler:

I almost mentioned AnoHana but then I thought, does that technically count as a death?

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
Wow, today's probably the most fitting time to say it. JoJo Part 5 spoilers inbound.

Spoiler:

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
Years
Spoilers (?) for Assassination Classroom.

Spoiler:

TOKZK

Gen II veteran/breaker
Years
I'd probably say Iggy in Jojo's bizarre adventure: stardust crusaders. Either that or kakyoin. I never came so close to actually crying for either of them. Shut up I just can't handle dog deaths in any form of media... But kakyoin was a different case. I'd always liked him from episode one, as well as his stand. Btw fuck avdol. When he came back after faking his death, he turned into an asshole, what with all the "tsk, tsk".

Last edited:

ShizukaJoestar

Lullabi City's Gym Leader
Years
tbh, every death that occurred in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Jonathan, Caesar, Kakyoin, Iggy, Avdol...and dare I say it...

Spoiler:

...I miss them all. I wish that they were still alive.

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
rip
iu

Years
I think the only anime death that I might have cried at is:

Clannad: After Story spoilers:
Spoiler:

I basically expect a death in anything with significant action, and my reaction in those is usually "Oh damn. They just killed that dude," rather than one of sadness.

Last edited:
Back