• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Where did you Start?

Years
I started with Ruby, on the VBA emulator, back in first grade. An older family friend had it on his computer and copied it over to ours. I mostly had my dad translate it for me until I learned enough English to go about myself.

My first Pokémon ever was Torchic. I chose him because he was cute. My sister had Mudkip. She invented what we called the "Poké Ball Attack": you don't battle the wild Pokémon, you just throw the ball right away. She caught her Zigzagoon that way, and we were so impressed. (I was 8 and she was 6, at most.)

Blaziken grew to be the strongest, most awesome creature that ever lived, in any of my Pokémon games. He is the only Pokémon I ever raised to level 100, and during normal gameplay at that. You see, when I beat the champion for the first time, the game said THE END, and I cried because I thought that it was over and that all my Pokémon were gone, and opened the save file from before facing the champion and lost on purpose. For a long time I played without going to the league until I learned that yes, you could continue afterwards.

I know Hoenn like the back of my hand. It is to me what Kanto is to older fans. I've been everywhere, unlocked all its secrets. Once we recognised the braille script in the Sealed Chamber, we found how to read braille online and translated it on paper. It was a great adventure, to finally know what those strange rock formations in three places were for.

I played it for years and I still have the game and my save file on my computer. The amount of memories this game has for me is just unbelievable.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
My first was actually when Yellow came out. After that I got Red and Blue.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 24, 2023
I feel like an absolute newborn right now, omg

My first ever game was Pokemon Ranger 1; when I picked it out I didn't have a concept of "main series vs. spinoffs", and the description on the box just sounded cool. My first main-series game, a short time later, was Diamond.

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
For me, TECHNICALLY, Pokemon Emerald was where I started. But, it wasn't my game. But, that's essentially where I started. The first Pokemon game I played that was my own, though? Pokemon Diamond.

Syntthetix

[color=ddccec]Porygon Programmer[/color]
Years
I got super lucky and a guy on my street let me have his copy of Pokemon Sapphire when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade. That was about 10 years ago and thanks to the one nice thing that guy did from what I remember, I've continued playing Pokemon games since then.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
It was either gold or sliver, i was a twerp and I demand my dad took me to somewhere where can I bought my first gameboy
I dont know what Im doing there because it was the first gameboy color game I ever brought and I was new to the world of pokemon

Last edited:

The Bellossom boi

My first Pokémon game was Blue. I played every game (included Colosseums) so far.

PkMnTrainerWilliam

Aspiring Professor's Aide
Years
Pokemon Sapphire was my main series first game, back on GBA. I was like 7, so I didn't know much about anything and the only experience I'd had with Pokemon was Pokemon Stadium and the kanto journey section of the Anime, so I didn't recognize any of the non-Kanto Pokemon. I mostly only knew that my favorite color was blue. And Mudkip was blue. So I chose Mudkip and started the journey. I sadly do not have the original Swampert from that trek, but they live on in a Swampert I raised in a repeat playthrough of Alpha Sapphire.

And to answer your question, yes. I do liek Mudkipz.

Years
Technicly it was the anime back in 96. There was just something about that kept dragging me deeper and deeper into the world of pokemon. First game was pokemon yellow. A birthday present a year later. And I have never looked back and picked up a lot of storys i love retelling as I grow older due to my love of this francise

BananaBreadGuy

Displeased rodent
Years
  • Age 18
  • Seen May 20, 2020
First Pokémon experience was Colosseum, first main-series game was Black 2, i believe, and the first game i owned was Diamond, which i never finished because i was stupid, i then deleted my file and gave the game to my younger sister, who hasn't played it much either.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Eighth Birthday. My parents got me a Gameboy Colour and both Gold and Silver and the moment I saw that they had gotten me I Was a rude little child and asked where the batteries were. After cake and celebrations and such I was allowed to go up to my room and actually start playing in which I chose silver instead of gold because I thought Lugia looked cooler. Me, being a ten year old kid, didn't even set the clock right and just dived right into playing the game so it was like. eight hours behind. named myself Max (I forget why), choosing totodile. When I got to my rival I took the ??? literally and when the policeman asked me what my rival's name was I put in ???.

played the game mostly using totodile with a pidgey that managed to stay on the team for the most part but that was the beginning of my eternal love for the pokemon games.

Years
I got Red version along with a red gameboy color for Christmas in '97. I think I was 6 at the time, and due to me not reading carefully it took an exceptionally long time for me to figure out I had to deliver Oak's Parcel in order to progress (yep, that bad). 6 year old me grinded out a Charmeleon before even entering Viridian Forest

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
I was like... 7? Pokemon Red and Yellow are my first games.
Little me somehow did not know that you're supposed to save the game, and I wasted my life going through the games over and over until my cousins let me know I get to save my progress.

Last edited:
Years
The first games I ever played were Pokémon Blue and Pokémon Yellow, I had them at the same time.
I was like 10 or 11 years old. Oh! The memories.

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Pokémon Red, for me. I'd never had any sort of video game before and before a long trip, my parents got my brother and I a Gameboy Colour to share with a copy of Pokémon Red... that we also had to share.

I'm pretty sure I was a jerk and even though my brother got to play first, I overwrote his save because I didn't like the starter he picked LOL.

Back