• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Square-Enix ☆ Fan Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Hate Fail Fantasy, hate KH (except Vexy), but love Star Ocean (published) and Dewprism (developed). Sign me up.
Well, I'm not totally sure where this club stands on franchises that S-E only publishes (since, as I pointed out to someone else, they also technically publish the Batman games and the Call of Duty franchise in Japan XD) but the last one is quite valid. :P I would ask that you keep your hate of any of their franchises to a minimum, though, since this is a fanclub, haha. (And sorry in advance if we bore you but we talk about both FF and KH a lot. XD) Welcome!

Well, regardless of whether it's allowed or not... I actually just started Star Ocean 3 for the first time yesterday. I've never played an SO game before (although I have the first one on PSP somwhere) and aside from the fact that I don't understand the battle system at all yet, I'm enjoying it~

http://andriasang.com/comzoe/nomura_famitsu_interview/

Nomura said he'd like to release some Versus related information this year, and he also said the next time it'd be shown would be on actual hardware. If it's gonna be shown then it'll probably be at TGS. I wouldn't be surprised if Versus XIII wasn't announced at E3(because they have a pretty full lineup already), but they could pull some sort of surprise announcement.

...Naaaaah. That's under the assumption that Square Enix knows what their fans want.
I think if Versus is going to show up at E3, it will only be because they have a big announcement about it for the Sony conference. They only announce "new" things at E3 if they're making fabulous announcements for either Sony or Microsoft but even then they aren't usually all that impressive. For example, S-E was a main part of the Microsoft conference that one year when they surprised everyone by saying XIII would be out on the 360. Then either the next day or the next year (it all blurs together XD) they were on Sony's stage announcing XIV for PC and PS3. The former was just announcing a port (and lack of console exclusivity for the series) and the latter wasn't very impressive since XIV still hasn't come out on consoles here, iirc. :P

So there's a chance that Versus could be tucked away so they can whip it out during one of the big conferences but even if that happens, I don't think it's any guarantee we'll be seeing it soon, haha.

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
I am excited to see what they have installed for us at E3! It should be great. Do you think they'll have anymore on KH3D at E3?

Also I must say I love the music they have in KH especially the opening song in KH1 that song is fantastic. Who else loves the music square puts into their games? I think it really really fits the game and adds so much emotion to the game. <3

Oh and I'll leave this here for you all:

Oh and Kurui you should definitely not publicly say you hate the main discussion points of a fan club when joining a fanclub..

Last edited:

Kurui

Kageroza's Waifu
Years
I wished Enix would have stayed away from Squaresoft, but oh well XD SO3 is alright, the previous 3 installments were the golden ones: Star Ocean and Star Ocean: The Second Story, as well as TSS spinoff game, Blue Sphere, were the real gems. It started falling apart after that. The last installment is pretty unbearable to play in comparison to the first few. But better than a lot of other games, and would seem nice to anyone who hasn't played any of the previous games.

SO:TSS was my first SO game and is still to date my current favourite game ever. No other game goes quite so in depth with story and gameplay mechanics in an RPG. They did not keep to a lot of the trends when moving to SO: TTEOT. I don't know why that is. :s

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
Star Ocean 2 was the only Star Ocean I bothered to finish, but it was amazing. I loved it so much that I even got to the bottom of the Cave of Trials and maxed out of all possible skills. I got absolutely annihilated against the Iseria Queen, but I only liked the game more because it still bothered to have hard bosses even after getting the Infinity Sword +1.

Also, Blue Sphere just got its main script translated according to Aeon Genesis. It still has a long way to go, but at least some progress is being made on it.

Riku

Who cares to know, eh Bubbles?
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 22, 2021
I've never played Star Ocean. Been told by maaaaany people I should, but I've just... not done it. Are they really that great? I'm judging by Luck's response about SO2 that that's a yes, but... >.>

In KH news to boost the spirits around here (and because I love talking about it), there's been a rumor leaked from a fairly credible source who supposedly leaked the two Castlevania games ahead of time saying there's to be an HD Collection of KH, KH2, CoM, Days, and BBS released for the Wii U, PS3, and PS Vita. The rumor can be found here. It IS just a rumor, but me likey the idea of having all of them on a single console. With full HD crispness. Especially if it's going to be Final Mix versions of the games :x

Also, there's been official confirmation of returning voice actors for KH3D thanks to SE Europe, including one that many people had been led to believe would not be returning: Leonard Nimoy as Master Xehanort. Here is the link for that confirmation too :3 I for one am extremely happy Nimoy is actually back for MX. Anyone else have any thoughts?

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
I've never played Star Ocean. Been told by maaaaany people I should, but I've just... not done it. Are they really that great? I'm judging by Luck's response about SO2 that that's a yes, but... >.>

In KH news to boost the spirits around here (and because I love talking about it), there's been a rumor leaked from a fairly credible source who supposedly leaked the two Castlevania games ahead of time saying there's to be an HD Collection of KH, KH2, CoM, Days, and BBS released for the Wii U, PS3, and PS Vita. The rumor can be found here. It IS just a rumor, but me likey the idea of having all of them on a single console. With full HD crispness. Especially if it's going to be Final Mix versions of the games :x

Also, there's been official confirmation of returning voice actors for KH3D thanks to SE Europe, including one that many people had been led to believe would not be returning: Leonard Nimoy as Master Xehanort. Here is the link for that confirmation too :3 I for one am extremely happy Nimoy is actually back for MX. Anyone else have any thoughts?

UGH WHY NO XBOX!
Why do they leave me out :( That's so unfair but that sounds so so so AWESOME for everyone else, I'd love to be able to play themm.

Thats really cool that theirs returning voice actors. :) Maybe they'll reveal the HD Collection at E3 or something like that?

Cid

Years
Okay screw it. I've pretty much seen an emptied reply to thread page three times now! (all those phrases I had to type again and again, all that work gone!) One from getting the plug and the battery unwittingly cut by my brother, the other from having to hurriedly move to another laptop, and now from an accidental F5 press? D: Why is this happening to me!?

Back on topic. I wanted to apologize to Erica because I still have not finished that long reply. I've read the whole post though, just don't have my thoughts of it gathered up since I'm fairly bad at this. Maybe if I get a whole day free from any binding responsibilities and requirements.

Stand Alone posted that KH HD compilation rumor. I'm pretty shaky with how legitimate it is given that Vita's listed as one of the titles, but hey if this is real I'll buy a PS3 or a Wii U just so I could play. I want this game!

I've seen that news from SE Europe! I'm happy Hayden Panettiere will be voicing Xion, here's hoping she'll be back to voice her and Kairi every time from now on! Like what Erica said, I don't like it when they get replacement VA's for her. :[

spoiler: KH3D
Spoiler:

And I really didn't like Leonard Nimoy as MX to be quite honest.
I can't say I'm happy with him back.

Also I haven't played Star Ocean yet. I don't know if it suits me and I never really had the chance to try playing it. But I'm willing to change that. :)

mavy42

I'm back, broz :)
Years
I want to join!

What is your favourite series made by Square-Enix?
kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy XD

Who is your favourite Kingdom Hearts character?
Ventus!

What console(s) do you hope Kingdom Hearts III will be on?
PSP!!!! PS2, PS3

Ok, here is a good side topic I thought of:
What two keyblades would you dual wield?
Oathkeeper and Oblivion!

Dr.Kotov

& the symptoms.
Years
  • Seen Dec 11, 2012
Duhuhuhuhuude. Enlist.
Entrancing story lines is what I know Square Enix for, Deus Ex (Human Revolution), Hitman Absolution, The World Ends With You, & Tomb Raider, definitely are, and eventually will be my favourites. Not to mention Sleeping Dogs. Their game design and signature aesthetics for each game are just... phenomenal to me. Deus Ex: HR is one of my recent favourites and easily one of my most enjoyed games.

Cherrim

Years
I am excited to see what they have installed for us at E3! It should be great. Do you think they'll have anymore on KH3D at E3?

Also I must say I love the music they have in KH especially the opening song in KH1 that song is fantastic. Who else loves the music square puts into their games? I think it really really fits the game and adds so much emotion to the game. <3
Most of my favourite video game OSTs are from Square-Enix games. At the very least, I don't think I've played a Square-Enix game that I didn't like the music for. :x It's almost always so fitting.
I wished Enix would have stayed away from Squaresoft, but oh well XD SO3 is alright, the previous 3 installments were the golden ones: Star Ocean and Star Ocean: The Second Story, as well as TSS spinoff game, Blue Sphere, were the real gems. It started falling apart after that. The last installment is pretty unbearable to play in comparison to the first few. But better than a lot of other games, and would seem nice to anyone who hasn't played any of the previous games.

SO:TSS was my first SO game and is still to date my current favourite game ever. No other game goes quite so in depth with story and gameplay mechanics in an RPG. They did not keep to a lot of the trends when moving to SO: TTEOT. I don't know why that is. :s
I didn't get into any S-E franchises until after the two had already merged so the merger never really affected me one way or another, I felt.

What's the battle system like in SO2? I'm... really not enjoying the battle system in SO3 now that I'm not high on painkillers and I can't blame how bad I am at it on those. I'll probably force myself to finish this but it's starting to affect my desire to go back and play the first one, nevermind buying the second one. ;_;

I don't think we'll see the HD collection at E3. Not only has Square-Enix steadily been releasing info and trailers of all the things they announced would be at E3, but that just doesn't seem like an E3 announcement. The rumour going around seems to imply that the collection will be multiplatform. If it is, then I just don't know when S-E would have a window to announce it. The only way it'd be announced at E3 is to buff up one of the main-3's conferences but they'll only want to host the announcement if it's exclusive to them. So it could still happen, but I think it's more likely we'll see this sort of announcement at TGS or Jump Festa. (Also, the games they list... I don't see how they'd remake Days and not bother with Re:Coded. I mean, I wouldn't be disappointed to not have Re:Coded in the bundle but it just seems silly to port one game and not the other. If we get an HD release, I think it'll only be KH1+2+BBS with a slight possibility of Re:COM.)

AAAAH HAYDEN IS BACK. I'm so happy. I love her and I missed her talent. I'm also a bit surprised that they got Nimoy back. I was so sure they'd just go for a sound-alike after BBS since he seems like he'd be a really pricy voice actor.
Spoiler:

Back on topic. I wanted to apologize to Erica because I still have not finished that long reply. I've read the whole post though, just don't have my thoughts of it gathered up since I'm fairly bad at this. Maybe if I get a whole day free from any binding responsibilities and requirements.
Nooo problem. XD I don't feel up to typing a reply to your reply yet anyway, so no complaints here.
Stand Alone posted that KH HD compilation rumor. I'm pretty shaky with how legitimate it is given that Vita's listed as one of the titles, but hey if this is real I'll buy a PS3 or a Wii U just so I could play. I want this game!
I don't think the Vita necessarily discounts the rumour--I just don't think it would be one of the launch consoles for the collection. The MGS HD Collection (which is what I always base my assumptions of the KH collection on) was released for Vita pretty recently so it could very well be a possibility.
I've seen that news from SE Europe! I'm happy Hayden Panettiere will be voicing Xion, here's hoping she'll be back to voice her and Kairi every time from now on! Like what Erica said, I don't like it when they get replacement VA's for her. :[

spoiler: KH3D
Spoiler:

And I really didn't like Leonard Nimoy as MX to be quite honest.
I can't say I'm happy with him back.
Spoiler:

......I thought I was the only one omg. :x I know Nomura specifically designed MX with Nimoy's voice in mind or something, but I just... don't like it. Maybe it's that I played BBS in Japanese first so pretty much all the English voices sound off to me but... I don't like Nimoy's voice to begin with. XD; It's too scratchy and it kind of irritates me.
Also I haven't played Star Ocean yet. I don't know if it suits me and I never really had the chance to try playing it. But I'm willing to change that. :)[/QUOTE]
I want to join!

What is your favourite series made by Square-Enix?
kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy XD

Who is your favourite Kingdom Hearts character?
Ventus!

What console(s) do you hope Kingdom Hearts III will be on?
PSP!!!! PS2, PS3

Ok, here is a good side topic I thought of:
What two keyblades would you dual wield?
Oathkeeper and Oblivion!
Welcome! (Yaaay more Ven fans! :D)

Knowing me, I'd dual-wield Terra's wooden training Keyblade and like... the Wooden Sword from KH1. (Or the Stick from Days. XD) But if I had a choice and was actually good at wielding Keyblades, it'd be awesome to use Destiny's Embrace and Brightcrest. *u* They are so pretty.
Duhuhuhuhuude. Enlist.
Entrancing story lines is what I know Square Enix for, Deus Ex (Human Revolution), Hitman Absolution, The World Ends With You, & Tomb Raider, definitely are, and eventually will be my favourites. Not to mention Sleeping Dogs. Their game design and signature aesthetics for each game are just... phenomenal to me. Deus Ex: HR is one of my recent favourites and easily one of my most enjoyed games.
I really need to pick up Deus Ex one of these days. Maybe I'll watch for the series in the Steam Sale this summer, although I was planning to avoid that. I keep hearing such good things about it, though, and I feel so out of the loop having not played them. @_@

(Welcome! :D)

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
Also I haven't played Star Ocean yet. I don't know if it suits me and I never really had the chance to try playing it. But I'm willing to change that. :)

Yeah, it's a pretty awesome game. I can't say the same about the series, but Star Ocean 2 is a pretty great JRPG even in the PS1 era. You're definitely doing yourself a great disservice if you don't play Star Ocean 2.

Most of my favourite video game OSTs are from Square-Enix games. At the very least, I don't think I've played a Square-Enix game that I didn't like the music for. :x It's almost always so fitting.

I didn't get into any S-E franchises until after the two had already merged so the merger never really affected me one way or another, I felt.

What's the battle system like in SO2? I'm... really not enjoying the battle system in SO3 now that I'm not high on painkillers and I can't blame how bad I am at it on those. I'll probably force myself to finish this but it's starting to affect my desire to go back and play the first one, nevermind buying the second one. ;_;

The battle system is the same core concept I believe. You move around a battlefield with a team by using abilities and magic. It doesn't have MP death though, and the pace is much slower until you get a certain accessory that makes you zoom around the field. The only part that sucks is a lot of the spell animations are unskippable, so battle gets stopped every so often. Even if you don't like the battle system, there's a ton of optional content to do as well as a lot of abilities that you can upgrade, like cooking and pickpocketing.

Speaking of Square Enix OSTs though, did you ever get around to playing NieR?

Cherrim

Years
The battle system is the same core concept I believe. You move around a battlefield with a team by using abilities and magic. It doesn't have MP death though, and the pace is much slower until you get a certain accessory that makes you zoom around the field. The only part that sucks is a lot of the spell animations are unskippable, so battle gets stopped every so often. Even if you don't like the battle system, there's a ton of optional content to do as well as a lot of abilities that you can upgrade, like cooking and pickpocketing.

Speaking of Square Enix OSTs though, did you ever get around to playing NieR?
Well, I'm used to waiting for spells because there seems to be an issue with my SO3 game disc so every. single. time. a spell is casted in battle, the game freezes, gives me a loading notice, and a minute later it shows me the animation and the battle carries on. :P I'll take pretty much anything over that.

I did play Nier! A few months ago I finally got around to it. I wasn't really a fan of the gameplay, I don't think (too button-mashy) but I really liked the story and characters and OMG THE MUSIC. *u*!!!!! It's so, so pretty. Kind of blurs into itself when you listen to the soundtrack but it's all absolutely beautiful so I don't mind. I was actually listening to the OST again the other day and I kind of want to replay it. I only did one new game plus so I think there's still more content for me to see.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
Well, I'm used to waiting for spells because there seems to be an issue with my SO3 game disc so every. single. time. a spell is casted in battle, the game freezes, gives me a loading notice, and a minute later it shows me the animation and the battle carries on. :P I'll take pretty much anything over that.

I did play Nier! A few months ago I finally got around to it. I wasn't really a fan of the gameplay, I don't think (too button-mashy) but I really liked the story and characters and OMG THE MUSIC. *u*!!!!! It's so, so pretty. Kind of blurs into itself when you listen to the soundtrack but it's all absolutely beautiful so I don't mind. I was actually listening to the OST again the other day and I kind of want to replay it. I only did one new game plus so I think there's still more content for me to see.

Geez, that sounds horrible. I actually have Star Ocean 3, but the awkward fashion, seemingly voice acting, and creepy anime 3D keep preventing me from actually playing it. I don't mind the gameplay, but are there other aspects that make the game enjoyable?

I basically had the same experience. The gameplay was serviceable at best normally, but the huge amount of variety in gameplay types made it pretty fun. The biggest problem with it was that the side quests really sucked, especially the FRAGILE DELIVERY QUESTS. UGH.

Most people(me included) would suggest you look up ending C and D because they're good and all, but it takes too much effort to fulfill the stupid requirements. It just gives some extra cutscenes at the end and does some *extra* stuff, instead of turning the story on its head like ending B did.

There was supposed to be a fifth canon ending, but budget problems and all that. If you want to check that out then you should look up Grimoire Nier, since it has that and it fleshes out the Drakengard/NieR universe a ton more.

Cherrim

Years
I don't... know what the appeal is. :( Honestly, I'd be okay with never touching this game again except that: A) my friend is playing it at the same time and I feel obliged to finish it since I made her wait a bit to start it so I could start at the same time (although she's so far ahead of me now it's not funny), and B) I really need to finish more PS2 games for my Backloggery page so I'd feel bad leaving it unbeaten. The story hasn't sucked me in yet, the dialogue is only okay, the characters are all pretty boring thus far, and I suck so hard at the battle system.

Yeah, the gameplay style changes in Nier were pretty awesome. I was so confused at first when it turned into a text adventure and then it became kind of the greatest thing ever. xD; Nier did a whole lot of things well but I feel like it's both underrated and overrated by the gaming community--the former in the sense that not nearly enough people played it for how good it is and overrated because I feel like a lot of the people who DID play it glorify it a lot more than it deserves. But it was still lots of fun and definitely worth it. (I think I managed one whole fragile quest and then refused to take them from then on lmao.)

Suddenly questions... questions everywhere! What's Grimoire Nier? Was that the book that came out in Japan? (Was it a book?) Was it translated?

Is Drakengard worth playing? I think a friend of mine had it and I know Nier was vaguely based on it but I honestly don't know a thing about it, haha.

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
Lightning what are some more really good songs from their OST.. And whats the name of the opening one I cant remember it :'(.

If you don't think it'll be announced at E3 what do you think S-E will announce at E3. Do you think they'll even release anything! Possibly information on the next console kingdom hearts? Would there be that possibility at all?

And welcome to the club new members! Hope you can easily jump into the chat with us and don't be to intimidated by the fangirling :P

Cherrim

Years
Which OST are you talking about?

http://nintendoeverything.com/89543/square-enixs-e3-2012-lineup/

That's the entire list of everything Square-Enix will be showing off at E3. There are rumours going around (I never really looked at the actual articles so take this with a grain of salt [or a whole jar]) that XIII Versus is just gonna be renamed to FF XV and if that's the case, I imagine that'll probably be revealed during either Sony's conference (because it's supposed to be PS3 exclusive) or Microsoft's (if they decide to pull a XIII and announce it as a multi-console thing). But I highly doubt that'll happen.

I can guarantee there will be no announcement of a new Kingdom Hearts game. :P They have 3D on the release horizon which means they'll really be pushing that for the distinctly Western E3 crowd--no need to confuse everyone with another game at this point. I imagine they'll save future games for Tokyo Game Show (September) or Jump Festa (December) in Japan but even then I don't think that announcement will come this year.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
I don't... know what the appeal is. :( Honestly, I'd be okay with never touching this game again except that: A) my friend is playing it at the same time and I feel obliged to finish it since I made her wait a bit to start it so I could start at the same time (although she's so far ahead of me now it's not funny), and B) I really need to finish more PS2 games for my Backloggery page so I'd feel bad leaving it unbeaten. The story hasn't sucked me in yet, the dialogue is only okay, the characters are all pretty boring thus far, and I suck so hard at the battle system.

Yeah, the gameplay style changes in Nier were pretty awesome. I was so confused at first when it turned into a text adventure and then it became kind of the greatest thing ever. xD; Nier did a whole lot of things well but I feel like it's both underrated and overrated by the gaming community--the former in the sense that not nearly enough people played it for how good it is and overrated because I feel like a lot of the people who DID play it glorify it a lot more than it deserves. But it was still lots of fun and definitely worth it. (I think I managed one whole fragile quest and then refused to take them from then on lmao.)

Suddenly questions... questions everywhere! What's Grimoire Nier? Was that the book that came out in Japan? (Was it a book?) Was it translated?

Is Drakengard worth playing? I think a friend of mine had it and I know Nier was vaguely based on it but I honestly don't know a thing about it, haha.

That's actually very good news. I already have a massive backlog and I'm currently working on TWO 30-40 hour games(Digimon World 2 and Lufia 2), starting another game would just ruin me.

I did the same thing for the fragile delivery. I did the first quest(to the Aerie) and I just said screw it. It's so slow moving without rolling or jumping. The rest of the quests are pretty lame but that just tops everything on the crap factor. The highlight of the game was the text adventure and bullet hell bosses. If they balanced the abilities and magic properly it could've been something really awesome.

Grimoire Nier is basically a book that connects the events of Drakengard to NieR, and it tells quite a bit about both of the games
Spoiler:
. A quick google search showed this.

https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AbP8p5mNDpX_ZGd2bWtmODlfMjI4ZnhnZ2hnZzM&hl=en

And Drakengard blows so much in regards to gameplay. The controls are fine sans the camera but it's as repetitive as Dynasty Warriors without any of the speed. It still has some neat aspects with gameplay, but only go for it if you want an extremely bizarre story and a crazy cast of characters.

Dr.Kotov

& the symptoms.
Years
  • Seen Dec 11, 2012
I really need to pick up Deus Ex one of these days. Maybe I'll watch for the series in the Steam Sale this summer, although I was planning to avoid that. I keep hearing such good things about it, though, and I feel so out of the loop having not played them. @_@

(Welcome! :D)

Human Revolution isn't directly linked to the previous Deus Ex games, and even I haven't played them. I picked up HR when I was just starting to develop a taste for video games on my console...and now, I try to look for elements unique to Deus Ex: HR in every game I buy. Classic Square-Enix characters. Personalities so distant...yet they grow so close to you. You should definitely put it high up on the priority list.

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
I watched some Gameplay of Deus Ex: HR and it looked very fun! It seems like a game that'd definitely be worth picking up and I think it may be a branching game where your decisions effect in game events.
I didnt know it was a SE game silly me! But its definitely worth picking up.
And I think it's a prequel to the other games Dr. so that may be why it doesnt seem to fit.

Also
Is Sanctuary the opening song of KH1?

-Edit-
Ugh this laptop sucks making me double post ;;

Last edited:
Years
I watched some Gameplay of Deus Ex: HR and it looked very fun! It seems like a game that'd definitely be worth picking up and I think it may be a branching game where your decisions effect in game events.
I didnt know it was a SE game silly me! But its definitely worth picking up.
And I think it's a prequel to the other games Dr. so that may be why it doesnt seem to fit.

Also
Is Sanctuary the opening song of KH1?

Oh no its the op of KH2.

I just want to know that thing Nomura said he had planned for KH in the upcoming months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back