• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Project: Communitydex

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhajjar

Jongleur
Years
Name: Umbra
Class: Prankster Pokemon
Type: Dark/Ghost
PokeDex: Umbra likes to frighten people and Pokemon by suddenly opening its cap.
It has been known to pose as a real umbrella before flying away, stranding people in the rain.

Description: A karakasa, Pokemon-style.
Concept/Sprite: Chesu/
though this guy sounded kinda cool...
so I tried to make him...
this is what i got...

Years
though this guy sounded kinda cool...
so I tried to make him...
this is what i got...
It's a good start. I would try to make the overall shape look more like a cone than a triangle though. If the center of the bottom part of the 'triangle' would extend a little lower then you could give a better sense of depth. The outlines need some smoothing out, too. But probably what it needs most is some kind of design which makes it look like a pokemon and not just what it's based on, a karakasa. Granted, it's a ghost/monster from folklore so it's already abnormal looking, but if there could be some way to make it distinct as a pokefakemon that would be ideal.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
Don't forget that it's Dark/Ghost. Rather than being mischievous and silly, as karakasa are usually depicted, you could dry for dark and mean-spirited. Maybe make the eye and mouth look more cruel, or make the eye a false "eye spot" with a small face visible in the shade under the canopy. You could even go in your own direction with it, so long as it gets the point across that it's an eeeeeeevil umbrella, ooooh spooky.

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
Years
i apologize if i'm a bit late on this but i was finally able to sneak these bambear line sketches away from work (it's against policy to take paper in and out of the building!) and scan them at home.

bambear.jpg

yes, i may have drifted from the descriptions a bit but i didn't have internet access at work when i drew them and, thus, didn't have much to work from.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
i'd like to submit some ideas, they're meant to be starters.
i was doodling and thought i might contribute;

Spoiler:

Name: Stemmant
Etymology: Stem + Plant
Species: ...i just doodled
Class: Seed Pokemon
Types: Grass
Pokedex: The small flower upon it's head secretes nectar on command. This helps Stemmant to find it's way around unkwown places
Ability: Overgrow
Description: The Middle One

Name: Smokel
Etymology: Smoke + Camel (it's meant to resemble a camel after evolution
Class: Smoke Pokemon
Types: Fire
Pokedex: It uses it's forehead to blow out smoke. When in danger it will create a smokescreen to evade it's enemies
Ability: Blaze
Description: The Right One

Name: Dolphun
Etymology: Shell + Dolphin
Class: Dolphin Pokemon
Types: Water
Pokedex: Shelphun's horn luminates at night to lure prey. It then removes its mouth from its shell and eats the prey.
Ability: Torrent

...terrible, i know. just if anyone cares...

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
i'd like to submit some ideas, they're meant to be starters.
i was doodling and thought i might contribute;

Spoiler:

Name: Stemmant
Etymology: Stem + Plant
Class: Seed Pokemon
Types: Grass
Pokedex: The small flower upon it's head secretes nectar on command. This helps Stemmant to find it's way around unkwown places
Ability: Overgrow
Description: The Middle One

Name: Smokel
Etymology: Smoke + Camel (it's meant to resemble a camel after evolution
Class: Smoke Pokemon
Types: Fire
Pokedex: It uses it's forehead to blow out smoke. When in danger it will create a smokescreen to evade it's enemies
Ability: Blaze

Name: Dolphun
Etymology: Shell + Dolphin
Class: Dolphin Pokemon
Types: Water
Pokedex: Shelphun's horn luminates at night to lure prey. It then removes its mouth from its shell and eats the prey.
Ability: Torrent

...terrible, i know. just if anyone cares...

Thanks for the ideas Impo! Their great, ok not the best really, but interesting.
But We are only working on the sprites/ideas on the 1st post unless thier under fianl, but i dont think any are. I know you can sprite, at least somewhat.

Anyways I decied to try to sprite for here lol. I tried re-scratching Umbra. This is what I got, A little bad. But i like some of it. I got stuck in working (couldnt do no more)
At first i did one foot then I thought.. Why not two? its flat for now, felt lazy for the shading.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years

Thanks for the ideas Impo! Their great, ok not the best really, but interesting.
But We are only working on the sprites/ideas on the 1st post unless thier under fianl, but i dont think any are. I know you can sprite, at least somewhat.

thank you :) .
and oops. i can't sprite, but i may try to draw some of the pokes on the first page, if thats okay :)

jhajjar

Jongleur
Years
i understand everything you guys said and they make sense...
so i worked a bit more on umbra...
i changed the colors to make him look more darker...
i really like the idea of having like false eyes so i thought i'd make it like pattern on him, and i thought since i was doing that, i might as well do something of the same sort with the mouth area...
but i dont know how good this thing come out...
here it is...

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
i understand everything you guys said and they make sense...
so i worked a bit more on umbra...
i changed the colors to make him look more darker...
i really like the idea of having like false eyes so i thought i'd make it like pattern on him, and i thought since i was doing that, i might as well do something of the same sort with the mouth area...
here it is...

Honestly how I interepted false eyes is like a orca whale. (aka a type of dolphin) *really. I think...

Like how theres the huge white spot which are seen as eyes, but its eyes are lil underneith. [A orca fakemon, we need one, I had a 3 stage planned for years.. lol]

Now my big fake eye needs changed I guess. Have you seen my re-scrath or yours ^^^?

The top pattern looks great. But what happened to the lips? Also try a between pale lavender - scarlet for the lips? idk.
Also wheres you fake eyes? lol part of the top pattern? clever.
There seems to be a highlight after everyline. Seems like your going for a "Riple/bumpy" look? Try to edit the lines then.. dont know to what though..

Also the 1st seemed a little sprite, and the now seems a lil dark. but its good. 20 colors? whaat. hm did knoww that the color changed,

-The feet part. Yours seems like their floating/bending with the wind. they dont need top be in staight lines though, lol.
-The lips/mouth: Have its mouth open? just a idea.
Its good, now i need to look up what it is. Does it have any pre-evos - evos?

Samson: Nice sketches! weird policy though.. I think it would help the sprites as a base. Wheres the bamboo>? lol

Nimblethumbs

my name would look hot in bold
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2015
i apologize if i'm a bit late on this but i was finally able to sneak these bambear line sketches away from work (it's against policy to take paper in and out of the building!) and scan them at home.

bambear.jpg

yes, i may have drifted from the descriptions a bit but i didn't have internet access at work when i drew them and, thus, didn't have much to work from.

That helps. A lot. I'll be using this and putting it to use using tnguye's tut. And i'll add him some bamboo.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
here it is...

Well, I meant something more subtle. You're free do whatever you want, of course, but you should keep the Pokemon design philosophies in mind. It shouldn't just be mythical creature x as depicted by you... that's what most RPG monsters are. It needs to be a twist on the classic.

105r82d.png

I can't really sprite right now, as I use a Dual Shock-style USB controller in spriting and haven't replaced the one that recently broke, but I threw this together as an example. I didn't really feel like putting in the time to make it look like an umbrella, so bear with me. As you can see, it has a large eye and a big toothy grin. Or not; that's actually a Pokeball-shaped eye spot and a red/white triangular design. The real face is visible under the mouth, though I only spent three seconds drawing it and should have made it a bit more obvious...

Anyway, I'm not saying that you should use a design more like this, just that you should keep Pokemon styling and such in mind in your approach.

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
Years
omg i completely forgot about the bamboo staff!

i combined the bamboo with the karate belt, which is why they have those stiff looking belts as opposed to something more cloth.

tnguye3

Very, very, very lazy spriter.
Years
omg i completely forgot about the bamboo staff!

i combined the bamboo with the karate belt, which is why they have those stiff looking belts as opposed to something more cloth.

The last one was also to wear Samurai armor I believe.
Anyways, designs look sweet, although the basic stage for some reason looks more like a Koala to me. xD

<--- That beats all Gen 5 Ghosts I've seen so far! It's just so awesome, and so, I dunno - clever? XD

In any case, I'm loving the idea.

Last edited:

jhajjar

Jongleur
Years
Honestly how I interepted false eyes is like a orca whale. (aka a type of dolphin) *really. I think...

Like how theres the huge white spot which are seen as eyes, but its eyes are lil underneith. [A orca fakemon, we need one, I had a 3 stage planned for years.. lol]

Now my big fake eye needs changed I guess. Have you seen my re-scrath or yours ^^^?

The top pattern looks great. But what happened to the lips? Also try a between pale lavender - scarlet for the lips? idk.
Also wheres you fake eyes? lol part of the top pattern? clever.
There seems to be a highlight after everyline. Seems like your going for a "Riple/bumpy" look? Try to edit the lines then.. dont know to what though..

Also the 1st seemed a little sprite, and the now seems a lil dark. but its good. 20 colors? whaat. hm did knoww that the color changed,

-The feet part. Yours seems like their floating/bending with the wind. they dont need top be in staight lines though, lol.
-The lips/mouth: Have its mouth open? just a idea.
Its good, now i need to look up what it is. Does it have any pre-evos - evos?
well i understood the false eye thing the same way as you did but i thought well this guy is suppose to look like an umbrella so if it had like 3 eye looking things on it, it's ganna look suspicious so then i thought why not it be a pattern so that it is less noticable for other pokemon...

i can only imagine this guy levitating or floating in the area when you battle him, i mean i dont think he'd be hoping on his one leg durning a battle right?

and yes i saw what you had done...

Well, I meant something more subtle. You're free do whatever you want, of course, but you should keep the Pokemon design philosophies in mind. It shouldn't just be mythical creature x as depicted by you... that's what most RPG monsters are. It needs to be a twist on the classic.

I can't really sprite right now, as I use a Dual Shock-style USB controller in spriting and haven't replaced the one that recently broke, but I threw this together as an example. I didn't really feel like putting in the time to make it look like an umbrella, so bear with me. As you can see, it has a large eye and a big toothy grin. Or not; that's actually a Pokeball-shaped eye spot and a red/white triangular design. The real face is visible under the mouth, though I only spent three seconds drawing it and should have made it a bit more obvious...

Anyway, I'm not saying that you should use a design more like this, just that you should keep Pokemon styling and such in mind in your approach.
yeah i know what you mean i should be more "pokemon" like i got that from what scarf said...
i though of something like what you just showed, but i thought that a foot would look pretty weird and not that cool...
i was trying to do the him in mind with what the pokedex description said, so i was trying to make him in a way that people/other pokemon wouldnt know that it's not an umbrella...
but the drawing you did is really cool...
i think i'm ganna have to think more about this guy before i try again....

Humm96

Fly little Mockingjay!
Years
Well i made these a while ago and thaught you could use them :) theres Slenticle and Lildrif, a pre-evo of drifloon :) use them wisely...

Attachments

• Slenticle.png
    Slenticle.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 191
  • lil'drif.png
    lil'drif.png
    931 bytes · Views: 192

Chesu

Boss Carrot
Years
picture.php

Name: Rootle
Class: Root Pokemon
Type: Grass
PokeDex: Rootle shuffle through the loose top soil in search of clean water.
They are often mistaken for bamboo shoots, giving Bambear that try to pick them a scare.

Description: A small carrot.
Concept/Sprite: Chesu & tnguye3/tnguye3

x4ptab.png

Name: Carotoss
Class: Root Pokemon
Type: Grass
PokeDex: Carotoss anchors itself in place with its three spurs, giving it the leverage to lift much heavier
objects than it could otherwise. It has been known to lift and throw things over four times its own weight.

Description: A bulbous, menacing carrot with tentacle-like vines. (evolution of Rootle)
Concept/Sprite: Chesu & tnguye3/tnguye3 & Scarf

picture.php

Name: Traproot
Class: Poison Leaf Pokemon
Type: Grass/Poison
PokeDex: It enchants unsuspecting creatures with a sickly sweet fragrance. It is
said that if you see the eye spots on Traproot's serpentine vines, it's already too late.

Description: A carrot with a large amount of dangerous-looking greenery. (evolution of Carotoss)
Concept/Sprite: Chesu & tnguye3/tnguye3

tnguye3

Very, very, very lazy spriter.
Years
Well i made these a while ago and thaught you could use them :) theres Slenticle and Lildrif, a pre-evo of drifloon :) use them wisely...

Slenticle looks like a Kamen Rider helmet! XD
Wuhoooo!!!

Lidrif looks too simple imo. Maybe you could add some detail for instance Drifloon had a cloud on its head, and the bandage slice (I dunno how to call it in English) is too small imo, and the way you overlapped em makes em look off.

You should also work on the covered eye, as the plaster (bandage slice thing) looks too straight whereas Lidrif is meant to be round. ^^
Anyways neat idea.

Humm96

Fly little Mockingjay!
Years
ive had a bash at tiamoor :)
Name: Tiamoor
Class: Dragon Pokemon
Type: Water/Dragon
PokeDex: According to legend, Tiamoor only appear in mountain ponds lit by
the full moon. It is said that those who see them will live a long, prosperous life.

Description: An elegant, serpentine dragon with several wispy fins trailing from its tail. (evolution of Wimpike)
Concept/Sprite: Chesu/Humm96

Attachments

• Tiamoor.png
    Tiamoor.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 176
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back