• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Prototype

Raj

Pokemon Master
Years
Pretty much the same way as the GBA, you just replace some Pokemon with mega forms and edit evolutions.
I am not very savvy when it comes to hacking sadly, I thought that it was impossible for the GBC and the GBA games to have evolution mid-battle.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
I am not very savvy when it comes to hacking sadly, I thought that it was impossible for the GBC and the GBA games to have evolution mid-battle.
Rom hackers do what the games are capable of doing, while programmers do what they want to do :P

This was a joke more than anything! Not sure if you get it or not, but Danny should. I still felt like quoting to your message though since it's "sort of related".

Raj

Pokemon Master
Years
This was a joke more than anything! Not sure if you get it or not, but Danny should. I still felt like quoting to your message though since it's "sort of related".
I admit I don't really get the joke, although I am fine with you quoting me since it does seem to be somewhat related.

Although do you care to share the joke, I have a feeling it will be funny once I understand what exactly you mean.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Rom hackers do what the games are capable of doing, while programmers do what they want to do
He is saying that "rom hackers" simply edit data of a rom and only create things within the bounds of what the game is already capable of doing.
But a "programmer" has the ability to create something even if the game is not capable of doing it to begin with.

And he is exactly correct. If I wanted, I could program Mega Stones and Key Stones and let the player use the Key Stone to evolve a Pokémon with the correct Mega Stone and trigger a mid battle evolution.
But it would be a LOT of work, since none of this exists in the game currently, and I would have to be programming a lot of this from scratch. And like I said, it wouldn't be worth it, because I think mega evolutions are dumb.

Raj

Pokemon Master
Years
He is saying that "rom hackers" simply edit data of a rom and only create things within the bounds of what the game is already capable of doing.
But a "programmer" has the ability to create something even if the game is not capable of doing it to begin with.

And he is exactly correct. If I wanted, I could program Mega Stones and Key Stones and let the player use the Key Stone to evolve a Pokémon with the correct Mega Stone and trigger a mid battle evolution.
But it would be a LOT of work, since none of this exists in the game currently, and I would have to be programming a lot of this from scratch. And like I said, it wouldn't be worth it, because I think mega evolutions are dumb.

Ah alright, (tilts head slightly)
Thank you for explaining (I wonder if you got the reference I put in there)

As for the Mega Evolutions like I said before, it is completely understandable and I don't particularly desire to see Mega evolution in this game anyways, I just got curious so thanks for indulging me. :)

HoennTM

Will my hack be done soon? Probably not.
Years
Excited for this! I like the new look of the town map. I think that the region looks WAY better that way.

Raj

Pokemon Master
Years
I've been pretty busy, so progress has been slow but never stopped.
Considering how often you give us progress reports, I believe you.

I am guessing the others are just worried that this potentially amazing hack may fade away like many other promising hacks.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Yeah, I understand that. But I definitely won't stop working on this.
As of now, I'm getting close to what I want to be the Prototype Demo.

Del

Iт'ѕ rαιɴιɴɢ oυтѕιde [...]
Years
I'm sorry :(
I've been pretty busy, so progress has been slow but never stopped.

Well that a good news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! better not stop it, LOVE 1st Generation hacks :)
if you do, i'll hunt you to the end :P

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
I like the gen II graphics good work ^^
Nice story i like the part that the story is from the first movie :)
I really like this rom hack i support you :)
Good luck with the hack :)

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Thank you guys for your support. For now, you should take a look at my Gen. II Graphics Patch hack in my signature. I just released V1.4!

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
I have not been around in a while, mostly because I have spend a lot of time working on a disassembly of Pokémon TCG.
But today I have an exciting update!
Now, each Pokémon has its own mini sprite used in the party menu!

1EkQ45u.gif

Credit for the artwork goes to: Blue Emerald, Chamber, Solo0993, and Lake.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
Nice work Danny ;)
I like it :)
This going take more people to Red GBC hacking
The sprites are really good
Can't wait to see more of your great GBC work
Keep it up great work
~Mydrago

KeyRogue

No theme for now...
Years

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Nice work Danny ;)
I like it :)
This going take more people to Red GBC hacking
The sprites are really good
Can't wait to see more of your great GBC work
Keep it up great work
~Mydrago
Thank you!
And you're right, those guys really did a great job with these sprites!

Incredible, are you also gonna implement these on your Pokémon Red - Gen. II Graphics Patch
Probably not, seeing as these graphics are not from Gen II.
And I have to have some cool features that are just for Prototype. ;)

Back