• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Youtuber talks bad about an Asian drink and pissess off an entire country

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 11, 2017
Its some delicious racism vs prejudice topic boiiiiii

drink-e1502397224497.jpg

Source: https://nextshark.com/driftor-youtuber-comments-on-grass-jelly-drink-broke-malaysian-twittersphere/

So one youtuber by the alias Drift0r who is widely known for his Call of Duty videos tried out a grass jelly drink and tweeted that it was the worst drink in the planet.

However said grass jelly drink is actually an iconic drink in Malaysia and some other Southeast Asian countries and the response was more than just negative, many of the responses towards Drfit0r where insults to his race and nationality as well as the tastes (literally).

What do you guys think of this issue? Do you have some say towards racism and prejudice? I recommend you read the article first.

Put up em dukes of hazzard yo

KNS27

I got... Lonely Doggo?
Years
Yes, Grass Jelly [AKA Cincau] is awful if you drink Without anything.It tastes better when you give a syrup.I'm not talking without evidence.even I have one at home.
Spoiler:

It may seem Awful, but trust me it more better than Yeo's (I once taste it and it taste plain)

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
I don't think it's racism, I think it's stupidity and arrogance. People get butthurt too easily. People literally always find something to complain about nowadays, over the stupidest crap at that. Seriously makes me consider our evolution, seems we're de-evolving rather than "evolving". It's crazy the amount of stupidity in this world. Wow, just wow. I'm losing hope for humanity daily. We need serious guidance. This is asinine. I'm literally at a loss for words on this. Just wow. Sorry if I offended anyone. Sorry, not sorry. Get over it and move on with your daily life. That's what we should be doing rather than this crap!

Annnnnnd let the hate towards my post begin!

Last edited by a moderator:

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
...is it bad that I actually laughed? I agree with ShinyUmbreon. There's nothing wrong with stating one's a opinion. It just depends on how it's done. I don't see anything bad towards what he said. Just the fact that yes, he seems pretty dumb for actually make a big deal out of the drink to begin with.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 11, 2017
We eat burgers all day, League we cannot play, imports are here to stay, respect for cultures we cannot say, health care plans are a hearsay, who am i? Thats right a typical salty babyrager from NA :elegiggle:

- twitch chat, 2018

My take - Malaysians are toxic as fkk and thats coming from my Malaysian friends.

Last edited:

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
Luckily i am a droft0r viewer and hes made a response in one of his videos:

His video description:
Published on Aug 10, 2017A few days ago I managed to upset a ton of people in Malaysia because of a tweet. I purchased Yeo's Grass Jelly Drink at a local supermarket here in Dallas. It's always nice to try new things. The grass jelly drink was terrible so I tweeted out that it was the worst drink on the planet. Unbeknownst to me, it is very popular and culturally significant in Malaysia. My timeline was flooded full of hate in a language I didn't speak. It went semi-viral in Malaysia, Indonesia, an Singapore. The tweet and replies even ended up in their news. Today's video is a story about what happened and a perfect time for me discuss Racism vs Prejudice. Probably 2/3 of the video is talking about the ever shifting definition of racism to make it where only white people can be racist and the importance of semantics

Btw quote_me_when_NA_wakes_up. :4head:

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
...is it bad that I actually laughed? I agree with ShinyUmbreon. There's nothing wrong with stating one's a opinion. It just depends on how it's done. I don't see anything bad towards what he said. Just the fact that yes, he seems pretty dumb for actually make a big deal out of the drink to begin with.

No it's completely normal. I cracked up after I read it as well and questioned whether or not they were actually serious or wanting attention or just simply "butthurt". Seems to be the norm today. I agree, people need to just learn to respect ones opinion, but it's different if your opinion is being attacked perse. How does humanity expect to grow if THIS is relevant and actually offends people? If THIS is what separates humanity then we're a hopeless race at this point and might as well just give up on excelling. We're going in reverse rather than forwards.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 11, 2017
No it's completely normal. I cracked up after I read it as well and questioned whether or not they were actually serious or wanting attention or just simply "butthurt". Seems to be the norm today. I agree, people need to just learn to respect ones opinion, but it's different if your opinion is being attacked perse. How does humanity expect to grow if THIS is relevant and actually offends people? If THIS is what separates humanity then we're a hopeless race at this point and might as well just give up on excelling. We're going in reverse rather than forwards.

Salty edgy rant? U 12 btw ?? HaHAA

You are just as bad emotionally and mentally as these garbage Malaysians. :LUL:

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
Salty edgy rant? U 12 btw ?? HaHAA

No. Just conscious thoughts on todays society. We need to just focus on our daily lives rather than worrying about what someone elses likes and dislikes are is all.

Shin Orochi Evil Arsenicc said:
We eat burgers all day, League we cannot play, imports are here to stay, respect for cultures we cannot say, health care plans are a hearsay, who am i? Thats right a typical salty babyrager from NA

Cool, you can bash a whole country, congratulations.
Btw, you obviously know anything about our country and the people that live here and it shows here. I for one rarely eat "beef" which explains why I'm lean, I like to maintain a healthy diet and I don't believe in our health system either, actually I don't believe in 80% of America's policies and regulations but I have no control over them. Most of America actually doesn't believe in half of our policies but we're forced to deal with it. It's called life. Learn to grow up.

Last edited:
Years
If you want to use this thread to discuss what does or doesn't constitute racism, have at it. Let's keep it civil though.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
Leafsfan said:
So what, if I hate butter chicken does that mean I'm racist against Indians?

Sadly with the way things are nowadays if he were to say something about hating butter chicken then he'd probably get an reaction from the Indians as well, similar to this Malaysian one. It's just what humanity does now. Oh he doesn't like our food, "YOUR A RACIST". Not, it's called an opinion, not everyone has the same taste buds as others.
You can't state your mind or an opinion anymore without offending someone and I for one find this pathetic. People just take it to heart and go to the extremes with it when it's not necessary. We just need to learn grow up and stop acting like 5 year old children that's throwing a fit because they didn't get what they wanted. It's even worse if the person is an adult. Like, don't you have responsibilities (probably not and it's why they act like that)?

Last edited:
Years
If I were him I would have simply worded it differently to be more courteous, but we all word things differently and that's not a bad thing! I can understand why some people were upset at him for calling their favorite drink the "worst drink on the planet", and telling other people to never drink it. He could have said something much more subtle such as "I wouldn't recommend this drink" or something along those lines. Personally I would try the drink, but I'm pretty open minded and adventurous, and I doubt the drink is as bad as he makes it out to be. :P

Of course, what he said really wasn't that big of a deal at all. It's a drink, and it's his opinion. He didn't expect the tweet to be taken so seriously, and he didn't deserve the negative attention he received, simple. What's worse is some of the people criticizing him actually responded to him with racial stereotyping of their own. One person wrote "White people complain about every food on earth but forget their seasonings are only salt and pepper", which I find a bit offensive being white myself. One person wrote an angry tweet and included a knife emoji. Some people just don't know how to handle a situation maturely.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen yesterday
The asain country can just call ricegum to make one of his famous diss tracks.

Mr. Showdown

Pokémon professor of the Showdin region
Years
Um I am so sorry but this whole thing is stupid.
A. You can have different tastes
B. So he does not like a Asian drink , big wophty do
So in all due respect this is stupid and maylasisa should apologize

Vragon

I question this entire point of this thread in regards to the topic of Racism. Here's my reasoning why not only is his comment not racist.

1) Never in his comment does he degrade Malaysia nor does any reference. If you take into consideration that the drink may be national, this youtuber isn't from Malaysia (Unless someone can show me he is) and therefore I can argue it's not such an iconic drink to him.

2) Maybe he isn't aware of the status of the drink. You could argue that he didn't have to say it, but considering he was merely putting out his opinion I would have to call "no he's fine doing it". Whether he did or didn't know the status of the drink doesn't hinge on the fact that his post says it's the "worst drink on the planet". And besides that, it's his own taste buds. He's free to like what he wants to and the opposite as well.

3) The comment is way too vague to be put towards an insult. Maybe he didn't like it. Since it's twitter I can see why it would be short (twitter stupidity with characters ugh) so such a simple sentence of that size would be normal. He just thinks it's the worst.

4) At most it's he's just not holding it as high as other drinks he likes, not enough to be anything major. Sure he doesn't like the iconic drink, but that's either his subjective tastes or if he is being a jerk about it there isn't evidence that has been provided. Basically this is a case of "I don't like something you all hold into high value". He could be doing it for attention but regardless on he/evidence can answer that.

And I think it's fairly certain this thread's purpose was to be silly or take a pot shot at peeps getting offended over the most trivial things. Sides, it's just a simple drink and that isn't really an excuse to blast this guy. I'm sorry but that's just overreacting unless this post about the reception is false in which case....why is this even here? (Though I'm pretty sure why it is)

Last edited:
Back