• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

#TooMuchFiller

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
I do feel like it takes forever to get from one badge to the other now a days. Though there seems like there's much more to do than their use to be. Back in the day it seemed like it was maybe every two episodes and a battle for a badge. Now it feels like it could take 10-15 episodes between gym battles because their is just so much more going on.

pkmin3033

Any episode in which none of these apply:

+ There is a major event (i.e. a Gym battle or Pokemon Contest/Showcase/whatever), or introduction to a character (i.e. a Gym Leader) who will later partake in said event.
+ A new Pokemon is obtained by a main character.
+ One of the protagonist's existing Pokemon learns a new move or evolves, or otherwise develops in some meaningful way.
+ There is something relating to the Evil Team of whichever region our protagonists are in at the time
+ James crossdresses
+ A rival character appears
+ A significant character appears. This could be an Elite Four member, a recurring character who isn't a rival - like Professor Oak - or someone like Cheryl in the DPPt anime.
+ Special episodes, like the Ranger specials, etc.

...there might be more, but I find generally what constitutes filler in the anime are Character of the Day episodes, and none of those usually apply in those episodes.

Melody

Banned
Years
I was watching XY just a while back and I saw an episode that definitely hits all the "Filler" buttons. It was "Lapras Defense Force"; which focused exclusively on Bonnie, achieved no development and basically benched all the other protagonists at the Pokemon Center until they were needed at the end. Bonnie spent more time developing the other characters she met than she developed.

So yeah. It felt like major filler.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
What I consider a filler is something that has no type of development, what so ever. As someone said, the only real filler that I can remember in XY so far is the Lapras one. Sinnoh had a ton of fillers and so did BW.

What I don't consider a filler are the following:
Gym Battles.
League Battles
Tournaments.
Contests
Showcases/Performances.
Catching
Evolving
History
Big Battles
Evil Teams (This doesn't include Rocket Trio)
Character Dev
Pokemon Dev.

I think that covers the basic ones that I do not consider a filler.

Back