• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

[Discussion] How big should tilesets be?

Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2015
Howdy everybody.
Ok i have a question: If you create a custom tileset does it have to be the same size as the original tileset in the Essentials folder? I compiled some free to use public tiles off of deviantArt (credit will be given of course) to use in a fan made game. Each tile on the sheet is a 32x32 square like the other tiles. However, whenever i put it into RMXP the tiles are a little offset and don't look as pleasant.
So what do i need to do in order to fix this?

Thanks

(The tiles are attached for reference)

carmaniac

Where the pickle surprise at?
Years
Probably because you've not resized the 16X16 graphics into the format RMXP is set at 32X32 pixels. When it comes to tilesets, the size matters, the image has to be no greater than 256 pixels in width but I'm not sure as to the limitations of height.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Tilesets have to be exactly 8 tiles wide (8x32=256 pixels). They can be any number of tiles tall.

Years
Tilesets have to be exactly 8 tiles wide (8x32=256 pixels). They can be any number of tiles tall.

For example I am using giant tileset that is 256pixels wide and 120.000pixels tall. :cool:
... and - yes - tilesets can be endless tall but 120.000 pixels is to much for RPGmaker.

Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2015
Thanks for the information, everybody, but i am still running into one problem. Whenever i keep the buildings as they are currently they look way too small in RMXP, however, whenever i do the resizing, nearest neighbor, by 200% it is VERY large, like, too large. Taller than the trees large. How would i fix this, or are the houses supposed to be that large?

EDIT: I think i just figured it out. I took a look at the HGSS tileset and the houses ARE that large. Like the 200% large. I'll have to create some new taller looking trees then, because those trees might look kind of funny next to a giant house. Might look like a bush or somethin.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2015
*Sorry for the double post*
I am now having this problem. I have all the tiles set up according to the 32x32 squares, but whenever i place them in RMXP the lines either don't line up or there are lines of other tiles. Anyone know how to fix this?

errors_by_0_rufus-d6eoz5h.png

Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2015
You Tileset was 1 whole pixel shifted up. i fixed it

Wow thanks man! :D I thought it was something close to that, but since i'm using Paint.net i can't tell because i can hardly zoom in when doing stuff due to it being like 18000 pixels in height. I'll put it in and see if it works now!

Harvey_Create

Pokemon Apex Team Member
Years
  • Age 27
  • Iowa
  • Seen Jul 12, 2015
Wow thanks man! :D I thought it was something close to that, but since i'm using Paint.net i can't tell because i can hardly zoom in when doing stuff due to it being like 18000 pixels in height. I'll put it in and see if it works now!

Get GIMP. It has a grid feature, and if you set it to 32x32, you can insert tiles easier.
And No Problem. :D happy to help. PM me with any Tileset related questions. Okay?

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
See, this is something I never understand. I often see people making these giant-ass tilesets that have everything they could ever need in every map ever, that end up being a billion pixels long. At such large sizes I fail to see how that becomes convenient. When I'm mapping, I will start with a tileset I made that has only the most basic elements, and then once I have a general idea of what my map will look like (and as such what kind of tiles it will need) I create an individualised tileset that has those elements only. If a map has no extra elements over another map, I'll simply reuse that existing tileset.

At present I have about a half a dozen tilesets for about two dozen maps. The largest tileset is probably no more than 64 tiles high (~2048 pixels high). I find that as a tileset becomes larger it becomes increasingly difficult to find exactly what I need for all the unnecessary junk in there that I'll never use. Having the restraint to limit what tiles you use also enforces creativity in how you use the tiles you do have, as well as helping to create a consistent style through all of your maps.

Years
  • Seen Jul 21, 2015
See, this is something I never understand. I often see people making these giant-ass tilesets that have everything they could ever need in every map ever, that end up being a billion pixels long. At such large sizes I fail to see how that becomes convenient. When I'm mapping, I will start with a tileset I made that has only the most basic elements, and then once I have a general idea of what my map will look like (and as such what kind of tiles it will need) I create an individualised tileset that has those elements only. If a map has no extra elements over another map, I'll simply reuse that existing tileset.

At present I have about a half a dozen tilesets for about two dozen maps. The largest tileset is probably no more than 64 tiles high (~2048 pixels high). I find that as a tileset becomes larger it becomes increasingly difficult to find exactly what I need for all the unnecessary junk in there that I'll never use. Having the restraint to limit what tiles you use also enforces creativity in how you use the tiles you do have, as well as helping to create a consistent style through all of your maps.

True about everything you said, but i was actually thinking about chopping the whole tileset up into mini sections so it won't be as cluttered as it is now. Haha ^^

Harvey_Create

Pokemon Apex Team Member
Years
  • Age 27
  • Iowa
  • Seen Jul 12, 2015

I try to keep my Tilesets at a decent size. I also havent got everything for our new style(as i have to sprite some more) But when i start a new tilesheet, i start it at 3000 pixels.

the__end

Pixel Artist
Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2016

Lets look at the benefits of huge and small tilesets! :)

Huge tileset:
  • Needs to be made just once!
  • Passage, terrain tags and stuff needs to be edited just once!
  • No double tiles so saves size
  • Can be shared easier
  • Don't need to edit tilesets if you want to use tiles from other map (they are already included)

Small tileset:
  • Makes mapping and finding tiles easier
  • Makes it possible to delete tilesets of a certain map without breaking other maps
  • Easier to add tiles after the tilesets are finished
  • Tileset is faster done so you can start mapping faster

But there is this one question that i couldn't find any answer to. How does huge tilesets affect the performance of the game? Does it make it slower or faster?
If the game recognizes that one tileset is used in every connected map it should be faster to go between maps. But if the game loads the tilesets every time you change a map it is better to use small ones so it doesn't lag and loads faster.
But at the end i don't know which one it is so any info is welcome... :(

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years

I use a humoungusly sized tileset, simply because RPG Maker XP does not support 2 tilesets at once.
This means, that since I am restricted to a single tileset per map, if I want to change something basic, that are in all maps, like trees or mountains, I would have to overwrite the old trees or mountains in all my tilesets.
That would be an annoying amount of work, considering I change stuff. A LOT.

And also, huge tilesets are only hard to use if they are made by someone else.
When you make them yourself, like I do, you always know where in the tileset every single tile is.
Sure, sometimes scrolling can be annoying, but I still think the good outweighs the bad, in my case.

Back