• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do we ROM-hack?

Do you love hacking? Please be honest......

• Yeah, I sure do!

Votes: 598 91.7%
  • Nah... Not interested...

Votes: 39 6.0%
  • I Just Wanna Play Hacks

Votes: 15 2.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2009
I would like to hack but i dont know how. how do i learn how to hack? if yyou have any ways to help me learn tell me.

interdpth

I've seen things, man.
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2021
I started to hack because I have no artistic abilities or musical, thus I can't make my own game.

And what you can do sometimes is hilarious.

ASM hacking ftw.

BananasGoMoo

Pokemon Electrum
Years
i just started hacking and the reason I want to is because I always get annoyed when you can't catch all the pokemon with just one game

xD

Pokedra

Retired
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 21, 2016
I admit I don't like some bits of hacking and I do like some bits.

I like making maps and changing trainers but I don't scripting and using Advance Text to get the text I want is boring.

Hacking is just something I do once in a while.

wolverfrog

Working on a Hack
Years
to prove to ourselves that life isn't a string of governed scripted events, we can beat the system and climb out of the pit of uncertainty we have been digging for ourselves.

Also, because it=fun

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
Well, I first got into Rom Hacking after watching a walkthrough of Shiny Gold. I didn't know that it was a hack and games could be made into roms and emulated.

So I started to Rom Hack because I wanted to be like Zel xD.

Now I Rom Hack, partly as a hobby and partly as to give something back to all the people in these forums.

Cid

Years
Its not really my position to talk about this because I don't feel like hacking anymore, but I once hacked anyway...

It's because I've always wanted to design/create my own Pokémon game.
I really have, when I was young, and it had been my dream, until I found out that it was possible through hacking.

michaelh

Script Ninja-in-training
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 17, 2014
I think I speak for many people here, not just myself, when I say that a big reason that I got into hacking Pokémon games is because before I knew it was possible, it seemed impossible. To put yourself in circumstance you never knew could be possible (i.e. to create your own Pokémon game) seems like a really cool thing. And I suppose to me, it does.

That's not the only reason, though. Many parts of ROM hacking are extremely challenging, and challenges, especially overcoming them, are a great stimulant for me. Especially starting scripting has been an enjoyable experience for me. It allows you to express exactly how you want the game to behave, if you can do it correctly (which is the challenge!).

Years
  • Seen Nov 14, 2009
why do we rom hack
its our own pokemon game,
no legal rights say we cant make it turn into a 12+ instead of 3+, we can put what ever we want into these games, our little world. also we can cheat, lv.100 starters and lv.100
arceus on the first route, all the enemies can only have lv.1 magikarps. also we canget to the elite four withna few seconds.
and soooo many more possibilities

Years
I hack because when you know how to use all the tools your only limitation is what you can think up. you can make anyone anywhere say anything you want! total freedom

Years
  • Seen Dec 18, 2014
Because the original is always too easy. The remake of Diamond I'm working on ( sadly, no mapping / scripting but reworked all wild pokemon / trainer and some sprites. ) is hard as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back