• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] GUI redesigns

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
The case its that is a community project, isn't? And even if the project is an "only-man-project" if the dev wish to make more success or make a project better, the dev will follow the opinions and advices.

Yes, I agree with the most part of Maruno decisions and think that his is making a good project in general, but this is one of his major errors in my view (if isn't the major).
It is indeed (ostensibly) a community project. I welcome opinions of any kind, even those that differ to my own. The only way I can know whether my efforts are worthwhile is through voiced opinions.

You should, however, bear in mind what that means. Yours is one opinion, and I am not duty-bound to do exactly what you suggest just because you suggested it. I will certainly rethink ideas is someone objects to them, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'll arrive at a different answer.

A separate matter not related to the battle screen, really? You said that is the main reason that you don't use BW pokémon:
That's an old quote, from back when I couldn't decide what to do about those back sprites. I'm now considering resizing them and cropping them to match the Gen 4 back sprites (see the attached example). Yes, it looks bad because of the pixels, but it fits the perspective of the scene.

It is indeed a separate matter, technically speaking. Having Gen 5 Pokémon or not bears no relation to using larger or smaller battle bases. The choice of graphics for the back sprites would affect the design of the battle screen (i.e. which size battle base to use), but that's not the same thing. However, you've turned this discussion into one about how the back sprites should look (you forced us to assume the Gen 5 sprites are being used), so the distinction is all but meaningless now.

Yes, I have made ALL Unova Pokémon edited backsprite to work with the old system, but I agree that this look bad and isn't a good choice to use it (even thinking that this is better that nothing).

To make the BW pokémon to look well, the best option is something like this (isn't made by me):
s5gy39.png
vs%20minccino.png
Your screenshots are the point I was making about the perspective, especially the second one with the Charmander/Minccino. I don't think that looks good at all, and I'd rather have larger back sprites (and therefore a larger battle base) to keep the good perspective.

This issue really comes down to perspective versus pixels - which do you want to be the better-looking?

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
It is indeed (ostensibly) a community project. I welcome opinions of any kind, even those that differ to my own. The only way I can know whether my efforts are worthwhile is through voiced opinions.

You should, however, bear in mind what that means. Yours is one opinion, and I am not duty-bound to do exactly what you suggest just because you suggested it. I will certainly rethink ideas is someone objects to them, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'll arrive at a different answer.
You're right, but isn't just me. You know that the majority of people (if isn't almost all) wish to have BW pokémon (be sooner or later), this makes all the difference.

That's an old quote, from back when I couldn't decide what to do about those back sprites. I'm now considering resizing them and cropping them to match the Gen 4 back sprites (see the attached example). Yes, it looks bad because of the pixels, but it fits the perspective of the scene.

It is indeed a separate matter, technically speaking. Having Gen 5 Pokémon or not bears no relation to using larger or smaller battle bases. The choice of graphics for the back sprites would affect the design of the battle screen (i.e. which size battle base to use), but that's not the same thing. However, you've turned this discussion into one about how the back sprites should look (you forced us to assume the Gen 5 sprites are being used), so the distinction is all but meaningless now.
It's isn't the only reason to don't put the BW pokémon, this changes all.

Your screenshots are the point I was making about the perspective, especially the second one with the Charmander/Minccino. I don't think that looks good at all, and I'd rather have larger back sprites (and therefore a larger battle base) to keep the good perspective.

This issue really comes down to perspective versus pixels - which do you want to be the better-looking?
It's a hard choice style but I prefer my screen.

If you wish to put the edited sprites, please at least see this topic: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=242509

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
Clearly someone can't tell the difference between a touch screen (using the mouse) and a dual screen (an extra display segment). ;) It's the dual screen that will never appear in Essentials, but a touch screen is a different matter.

Yeah, i'd say it's because people call it "touch screen" instead of "mouse support" that brings out the confusion.

The dualscreen thing never made any sense for PC games. especially since most screens are widescreen these days, and dualscreen is usually top-bottom.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
It's a hard choice style but I prefer my screen.

If you wish to put the edited sprites, please at least see this topic: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=242509
Interesting. They still depict the Pokémon as being the same size as the front sprites, though, so I'm not sure how useful they could be. However, it'd still be good to see where you decided to cut off the sprites. Thanks for letting me know about them!

We'd need more votes to get a good idea of which direction people want the back sprites to go in. If someone wants to vamp up the double-size pixellated back sprites, they'd be more than welcome (I'm no pixel artist).

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
Interesting. They still depict the Pokémon as being the same size as the front sprites, though, so I'm not sure how useful they could be. However, it'd still be good to see where you decided to cut off the sprites. Thanks for letting me know about them!

We'd need more votes to get a good idea of which direction people want the back sprites to go in. If someone wants to vamp up the double-size pixellated back sprites, they'd be more than welcome (I'm no pixel artist).
Some that are too short I double the size (see the file). Some examples attached, but I think's that I have around 60 backsprites doubled without counting shiny form.

Attachments

• 501b.png
    501b.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 504b.png
    504b.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 524b.png
    524b.png
  • 582b.png
    582b.png
  • 607b.png
    607b.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 0

Ęℓαчиıı

Blizzagon used Arctic Claw!
Years
I know this is a bit late(more like very late), but, if you're still debating on the HeartGold/SoulSilver menu and graphical interface, I'm all for that!

Back