Pokémon Essentials All questions and discussion about Pokémon Essentials, the Pokémon game kit for RPG Maker XP, go in here. Also contains links to the latest downloads and the Essentials Wiki.

TrollandToad.com

Old February 11th, 2017 (7:46 AM).
Not Bored

Nature: Bashful
Something I'd love to see happen is an easy way to see what all PBEffects are set to mid-battle. There is probably already some kind of way to do this, but I'd love to see it in Essentials itself as a method like "pbPrintEffects", maybe with a parameter for what effect you want to print if you don't want everything to be displayed. This could be in the normal text bar in battle or wherever else.

This would be useful for testing out abilities and moves, since thing tend not to work whenever I create new stuff and I'm then confused as to what exactly is not working and in such a case, a quick overview would be nice. Running this in a script would be fine, but a shortcut in battle && DEBUG would be nice.

Relevant Advertising!

Old July 20th, 2017 (2:09 AM). Edited July 24th, 2017 by yonicstudios.
Game Developer

Nature: Timid
    Extracting and compiling text for translation purposes could have some improvements.
    1. Have a line of separation between a localized line and the next unlocalized line. It'll make easier to see which line to translate, even if the file size triples.
    2. Add pronouns for gender. Languages like Spanish and French have different pronouns depending on the gender of a noun, and in some cases the number matters too. Maybe a system like the one used for handling plural names of items could work perfectly for this.
    3. On lines of text coming from a script, PBS file, or an event, add a comment to a side indicating where exactly is that line of text.
      1. Comments on strings of text in scripts should point out the script section and line where it's defined.
      2. Comments on strings of PBS files should point out the name of the PBS file and the line where it's defined.
      3. Comments on lines from an event should point out the map ID or common event ID.
    4. Use more variables in battle texts, like Pokémon's stats.
    EDIT: A couple more suggestions.
    1. The Editor should detect whether if intl.txt already exists. If someone selects 'Extract text' by accident, they'd lose all their work if they hadn't made backups.
    2. An alternative would be to recover the file by extracting the files on the intl.dat file. I made a script for this:
    Code:
    def recoverTexts(intlfile,outfile)
    #    return if [email protected]
        text=Messages.new(intlfile)
        File.open(outfile,"wb"){|f|
           if text.messages[0]
             for i in 0...text.messages[0].length
               msgs=text.messages[0][i]
               Messages.writeObject(f,msgs,"Map#{i}",text)
             end
           end
           for i in 1...text.messages.length
             msgs=text.messages[i]
             Messages.writeObject(f,msgs,i,text)
           end
        }
    end
    intlfile could easily be chosen in a way similar to the language selection screen, and if the default value is chosen, it'd do the same as extracting texts from messages.dat.

Not Pokémon related:
    - My Dog's Tale (July 11th 2018)

Old August 27th, 2017 (9:40 AM).
    Not Bored

Nature: Bashful
    Before making any more suggestions, make sure that they are not in the new, updated version of Essentials (v17) yet! An extensive changelog can be found on the downloads page of the official wikia for Pokemon Essentials: pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Downloads
    Old September 2nd, 2017 (3:35 PM).

I think it's a little odd that v17 allows us to track roaming pokemon using the debug menu option but it doesn't track the roamer in the pokedex once it is encountered, much like how the official games handle it.

I mean, yeah, it's great that we as developers can track where a roamer is in debug mode, but what about the people playing our games? :/

Quick Reply