• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Which legendary is best? legendary birds edition

Which bird is best?

• Articuno

Votes: 46 40.0%
  • Zapdos

Votes: 66 57.4%
  • Moltres

Votes: 9 7.8%

• Total voters

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 5, 2023
Articuno's the prettiest one to me. It has a sleek and elegant design, with a lovely white crest and flowing feathers. Zapdos looks really spiky and just... ugly to me. Its beak makes me think of a hag's nose. And Moltres is a bit boring, being basically a chicken on fire. Although I still like it better than Zapdos.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
Years
It's got to be Articuno! I just love its regal design and colour scheme, and it was pretty fun to use in-game back in the day. I do love Moltres's design as well but just not quite as much (Moltres looks amazing in Stadium and Snap though). I've never been that fond of Zapdos tbh even though it's the best one in battle (outside of Gen I at least).

Katchelina

"...I hope a gentle light of hope will remain."
Years
Articuno has the only good design of the three and is really pretty in my opinion.
Zapdos is okay and I do like its typing though I am not a fan of its design overall.
I have never been a fan of Moltres.

Limey-chan

Batzu
Years
I was absolutely obsessed with Articuno when I was a kid; for the longest time it was my favourite Pokemon, and it would be an absolute staple on my Stadium and in-game teams.

More recently however, it's Zapdos. By far the best Gen I Electric Type, imo. He's a beast.

Years
My favorite of the legendary bird trio is easily Moltres. I must have used one on every team I ever made from Gens 1 through 4.

For my ingame playthrough I'll probably go with Articuno like I used to though, so I'll have an easier time trying to take out Lance's E4 team.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
It used to be moltres for years as i loved fire types for a long time, but it has since changed to zapdos. something about it has just become more appealing to me. i wish there were more electric birds

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 23, 2019
Zapdos is really the best when it comes to actual fighting.
I like Articuno the best though, it was a real powerhouse in gen 1, shame it got nerfed to oblivion, along with ice-types in general.

Years
Articuno has my fave design of the three, and I also love Ice-types. It was also a very threatening Pokemon in competitive back in the 1st Gen days, with powerful Ice moves and a high special stat.

Bay

Years
I think I'll go with Zapdos since I remember it being one of the first legendary Pokemon I tried and thought it was awesome, heh. I do like Articuno's design but I don't remember if I used it in a playthough or not.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
I've always preferred Articuno over the other two. It has one of my favorite designs and was usually the one I went for first. I just wish it didn't get gutted :(

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 6, 2016
Articuno has hands down been my favourite legendary since playing pokemon green as a child!

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jun 20, 2016
Zap-dos is always the best of all three. Why? it has the most speed and it's attack works on both birds. The attack and special is also high.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 12, 2016
Zapdos is the best, electric and flying typing is really good. Although I did always think Articuno was the coolest. Never really took a liking to moltres, always thought it looked less appealing and it's moveset is the poorest.

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I've always liked Zapdos the best. Spiky, electric, and reasonably fast for gen I standards, and it balanced out my team better than Articuno did (though admittedly, I threw Articuno onto my team too).

Poor Moltres isn't getting any love. But I suppose it's my least favorite bird, so I can't say much.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
I have to agree with the Zapdos army here. I really like Zapdos the most because its the fiercest looking of the birds. It always had that "Don't mess with me or I'll fark you up!" stare that made me want to catch it, and in-game, its a very useful party member and its usefulness transcended to all generations, whether it was just in-game or even competitive.

Back