• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

As I Lay Dying

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Gee, should have just handed me a knife back in these days!

Last edited:

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
You have a nice tempo, the only thing that irritates me is that 'lay' is past tense, while the rest of the verses are always present tense in your poem.

Toblerone

Which chocolate is the best?
Years
  • Seen Apr 18, 2010
Good poem, a bit depressing, but.. good poem

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
I agree that your poems are depressing yet good.
Poem's dont have to be happy to be good. It just has to express emotion.
Your poems are sad and really make a point. That's what makes them intresting.
I'd love to read more of your poems.
Keep up the good work ;)

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
Years
You have a nice tempo, the only thing that irritates me is that 'lay' is past tense, while the rest of the verses are always present tense in your poem.

I like this! It is depressing, but it has a good rhythm. And it rhymes!

I didn't know people still wrote depressing poetry that rhymes.

Also, just had to address this one:

Actually, if English class is still with me, lay is present tense. Laid is past tense.
... I think.
Lay is one of those weird words that you can never get the right form of.

But currently the title is wrong; lie is a fib. Lay was correct, I believe.

Years
I think the correct one here would be lay;as a verb used with an object (oneself) it fits best into what I believe you're trying to express.

Lay is more often used with an object, for instance: "I lay a box on the floor". It describes the action of setting down something on a surface.

Lie is more commonly used without an object, as in to be reclined; "I lie on my bed". It describes something already resting on a surface.

Taking this into account, if your intention was to use the verb lie, then the poem probably should've been named "While I lie dying".

Back