• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ROM Hacking Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
I doubt it's real. How do you know it's a DS ROM? Just having the .nds extension doesn't prove anything. You'd expect it to use the standard DS file system anyway.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
I've got a question. I'm sorry if this is not the right place to ask this, but I couldn't find a better place.

Say I want to start a new hack right now. Which Rom Base do you prefer?

I personally would say Emerald - Battle Frontier, animated sprites, more advanced double battling style..

What's your advise? Is it for example better for me to start with hacking Fire Red?

No base ROM is the best by any means. Certain ones have advantages in various areas, though. HackMew compiled a list of the most obvious features that each game has. It can be found here.

Yeah; unfortunately he did. Takes away what could have been a unique feature in some hacks.

Of course, the same could be said for every other aspect of "hacking" for which we have a tool that automates the process. But I don't see you complaining about everybody using AdvanceMap.

Now, that's not to say that I'm not opposed to the tool. Given that tile animation was the first of only a handful of discoveries that I have made, it probably upsets me more than most people. Still, hacking evolves as our knowledge of the ROM expands and really, it was only a matter of time before this happened.

Alignment

Revered with the stars
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
I'd say the conversation before pretty much died.

What do you guys think an ideal first beta should be like?

I think it'd be anywhere between 45 to 75 minutes of game play. Longer betas, I think, tend to show more of that good old "hacker's dedication". I've seen shorter first betas but I think that the ones a little longer leave you wanting more. Unless of course the hack turned out to be you walking through an endless field of Pokemon grass. Not only is it the amount of game play needed but also the quality as well. I tend to like playing hacks with excellent scripts, maps and tiles (I like decompile the ones I wouldn't know how to do).

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
all R/S/E and FR/LG music plus select tracks from G/S and even Crystal. I mean, what's not to love?

Ruby and Sapphire also have the G/S music too. :)

Yeah; unfortunately he did. Takes away what could have been a unique feature in some hacks.
Hardly anyone's been able to figure it out. Luckily, I did :)

TB Pro

Old-timer
Years
I have an idea for a side project, or perhaps a smaller version of it implemented into a full hack. Okay, we've all played Zelda, right? Right, so, what if there was a free-roaming-esque Pokemon game? There would be a path you would have to loosely follow(due to lv.70 Pokemon vs. your lv. 10), but you technically could go anywhere, and battle anyone whenever you wanted. Also, it wouldn't be laid out in a linear sort of fashion like Pokemon games are, it would truely be one big open area. Right, some areas would take on linear paths to go certain places, but most of the world in a wide free-roaming expanse. If you would like me to elaborate further, just ask. :3

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
What do you guys think an ideal first beta should be like?

I think a first beta (this is assuming that the author is planning on releasing betas and not a single, final version) should contain a couple hours of gameplay. Two gyms, or the equivalent, is the minimum in my opinion. Otherwise, it isn't worth catching a training a team just to have to start over for the next beta.

I have an idea for a side project, or perhaps a smaller version of it implemented into a full hack. Okay, we've all played Zelda, right? Right, so, what if there was a free-roaming-esque Pokemon game? There would be a path you would have to loosely follow(due to lv.70 Pokemon vs. your lv. 10), but you technically could go anywhere, and battle anyone whenever you wanted. Also, it wouldn't be laid out in a linear sort of fashion like Pokemon games are, it would truely be one big open area. Right, some areas would take on linear paths to go certain places, but most of the world in a wide free-roaming expanse. If you would like me to elaborate further, just ask. :3

If I recall correctly, Darthatron (amongst others) had an idea very similar to this a while back. Obviously a number of things would have to be changed. The first thing that comes to mind is the problem of battles; a system would have to be created so that the levels of wild pokémon and trainers' pokémon would increase as the player's pokémon's levels increased. I can't think of anything else at the moment but I'm sure that if you put some effort into it, you would quickly find that a lot of other things need to be changed as well. All I can say is that if you attempt this, you won't be able to get very far if you treat it as a "side project". It's too ambitious for anything less than a full-time commitment.

TB Pro

Old-timer
Years
If I recall correctly, Darthatron (amongst others) had an idea very similar to this a while back. Obviously a number of things would have to be changed. The first thing that comes to mind is the problem of battles; a system would have to be created so that the levels of wild pokémon and trainers' pokémon would increase as the player's pokémon's levels increased. I can't think of anything else at the moment but I'm sure that if you put some effort into it, you would quickly find that a lot of other things need to be changed as well. All I can say is that if you attempt this, you won't be able to get very far if you treat it as a "side project". It's too ambitious for anything less than a full-time commitment.
I didn't plan on having people or wild Pokemon level with you, they would serve as the guidance, but not nessisarily(sp?) a border. I agree with you though, it would take a lot of effort and time, and would be better served as a full-fledged hack. Maybe this is something for the RMXP community? I don't know, but I always though it would be cool to have such a thing.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
Putting Game Dev aside, you first need to have the knowledge and then move onto what to change. As an idea it's good, but it'll need a lot of attention.

And yeah, not a side project. On the other side, basing such a hack on a LoZ game could create a hybrid between the normal and the Mystery Dungeon games. What do you think?

TB Pro

Old-timer
Years
Putting Game Dev aside, you first need to have the knowledge and then move onto what to change. As an idea it's good, but it'll need a lot of attention.

And yeah, not a side project. On the other side, basing such a hack on a LoZ game could create a hybrid between the normal and the Mystery Dungeon games. What do you think?
I hated the Mystery Dungeon games so, for me, no, but that's just me being biased.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
Okay guys, I've seen enough. I really would like to know your opinion on whether gen V Pokemon in hacks are good or bad, and why.

Years
There's always the problem of movesets needing to be changed and abilities to be changed, but to be honest, I quite like the new Pokémon so I'd like to see them in hacks. It's alright now anyway as people have yet to form strategies with movepools so I can hardly see a problem. Anyway, I'm for it, even if it may be biased (because I like the Pokémon; not so much in Gen IV).

TB Pro

Old-timer
Years
Just curious why the Progressing Hacks and Hacks Showcase are now located under Emulation? I preferred it better when they were under ROM Hacking. I can't seem to find my way to any of the threads/sections that I most visit in near as timely of manner as before, that may just be me, though.
EDIT: And all the rest of the sub-sections, for that matter.

Last edited:

Alignment

Revered with the stars
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
Last edited:

Nurse Barbra

Sunday + Rain = Craptaciluar.
Years
Am i the only one hating the change?
like seriousally. if a system has worked for over 2+ years, why change it. its like in a supermarket when they change all the asles. it just disorintates and discourages people from going back there to shop.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
Years
I personally don't mind. It's not like I can't find where each forum is. On the other hand, I think that the beginners' lounge is a great move!

Crimson Stardust

Anime Addiction
Years
I personally don't mind. It's not like I can't find where each forum is. On the other hand, I think that the beginners' lounge is a great move!
I agree with this abit..its not like we can't find them,
but i still prefer the old style,they are much better organised in my opinion,
the beginners lounge is a good idea,but the change in arrangement is not,i hope the mods will change it back..xD

Years
I don't mind the rearrangement with PH, HS and SS, but I think they should go back under ROM Hacking (maybe merge RH and Emulation and call it ROM Hacking and Emulation).

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Maybe merge RH and Emulation and call it ROM Hacking and Emulation.
I agree with you on that point, since Beginners Lounge, Team Discussions etc. don't really come under Emulation. The main forum should be Rom Hacking.

That's the only thing that bothers me. Apart from that, I'm completely fine with the new layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back