• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The North Korea Thread

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
So today it was announced that North Korea can allegedly miniaturize nuclear warheads for placement on missiles. President Trump then responded saying that if they keep this up, the US will respond with "fire and fury the likes of which the world hasn't seen".

So, as usual, we appear to be escalating endlessly, and figured we could use a thread on it here.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
lol this happens right after Japan is all like "hey can we all maybe not have nukes anymore pls" on the Hiroshima anniversary

But on a more serious note, I don't really understand why North Korea keeps making threats to the US, South Korea, etc. Kim Jong-un (and the North Korean leadership) is possibly insane, but how insane exactly do you have to be to legitimately think you can take on the US military and whatever allies it might drag into it and survive the ordeal? Who would stand with North Korea? China? I doubt that, despite their relationship with NK, China would truly try to support them, as I get the feeling that they probably would not want to risk damaging or destroying their relationship with the West either. Losing North Korea would be less of a blow to them than losing the West or even just the US. Or maybe I'm completely wrong about all this cuz I know fuck all about anything. How many functional nuclear ICBMs could North Korea possibly have anyway?

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
And now North Korea has threatened the US military bases on Guam.

Guest123_x1

I'm getting extremely worried that soon the entire world will be blasted to smithereens by North Korea. They've been threatening us much more this year than in the entire 24 years of Obama, George W. Bush, AND Bill Clinton combined!

I was hoping I would not live to see the start of worldwide nuclear war. Looks like my only hope is for God to take me home to Heaven soon.

On the other hand, this is what we get when we have an out-of-control military-industrial complex and neocon establishment. This is also a reason why sanctions never work against rogue military regimes. If sanctions against foreign countries worked, then they would no longer be threatening to start World War III.

Last edited:

DeusPro

Banned
Years
Personally, I don't see the beginning of World War 3. North Korea seeks attention and publicity to stay relevant. This is all hypothetical, but I think that Kim would want to keep his little throne rather than have himself blown to smithereens. As far as the US does not preemptively strikes (which tbh, I find a bit scary given Trump is at the controls of the Nuclear Football) and North Korea tries an attack against the US, China, and maybe Russian will be on the American side. Right now I see it as an escalated battle on who can bluff the hardest, but only time can tell.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
People really need to stop thinking that defeating North Korea would be a total cake walk. Sure, the US could probably force a surrender relatively quickly, but not until Guam and Japan are hit with ICBM's and hundreds of thousands of South Korean civilians die. The estimated casualty rates for both soldiers and civilians is incredibly high.

It would be a massive humanitarian disaster if Trump decides to swing the big stick.

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
Years
The more I hear the news, the more I'm scared that the world will be plunged into a really bad nuclear world war.
One thing is sure, the US should not reply militarly to these threats; if that happens it could really sign the start of a new World War... I really don't want to believe that, but sometimes it's true that history really doesn't teach anything.

Sir Codin

Can we all just not have nukes anymore please?

Nuclear armament being an incentive for maintaining relative world peace sounds like a novel concept on paper, but falls apart when you give two completely insane immature narcissists control over the launch button and you can't trust them to not trigger a cataclysm when one of them mocks the other for having a smaller dick.

Years
One silver lining in all of this is that we're seeing how fed up China is getting with North Korea. It seems like they still have some influence and they don't want a war any more than most of the world.

I can only hope that there are enough sensible people in the US military that if the order to launch nukes came they'd not do it.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
lol this happens right after Japan is all like "hey can we all maybe not have nukes anymore pls" on the Hiroshima anniversary

But on a more serious note, I don't really understand why North Korea keeps making threats to the US, South Korea, etc. Kim Jong-un (and the North Korean leadership) is possibly insane, but how insane exactly do you have to be to legitimately think you can take on the US military and whatever allies it might drag into it and survive the ordeal? Who would stand with North Korea? China? I doubt that, despite their relationship with NK, China would truly try to support them, as I get the feeling that they probably would not want to risk damaging or destroying their relationship with the West either. Losing North Korea would be less of a blow to them than losing the West or even just the US. Or maybe I'm completely wrong about all this cuz I know fuck all about anything. How many functional nuclear ICBMs could North Korea possibly have anyway?

Honestly, these threats are most likely being made so that 1.) it keeps NK relevant in today's world and to "help" against the strict sanctions that are being placed against them and 2.) to distract NK citizens from the poor economy that they are suffering from by boistering moral through propaganda.

While Kim is...a strange man, I don't take him for a dumb one. He knows that his nation is heavily outmanned, outarmed, and outgunned if they were to start a war with the US, especially with China being noncommittal to their cause (China is interesting as, while not outright saying it, doesn't want NK refugees swarming into their borders which is why they aren't committing to the US's cause if they did go to war.)

Kim is only making these threats so the UN may become lax on these sanctions that they have imposed, most likely also why they are "planning" to attack Guam in mid-August.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
Let North Korea nuke America. We all know the outcome and it's not a pleasant one. I just hope he's not that stupid because if he is the planet as we know it is doomed. But I honestly think it's just another scare tactic to get everybody going and it's working.

string555

Banned
Years
Okay, first off, I'm going to say that I don't really condone how North Korea runs things.

But, that being said, I think part of the problem is how everyone around the world underestimates North Korea. By underestimating them, they are also disrespecting their country. By disrespecting their country, they are also disrespecting what Kim Jong Un's Forefathers built. When a country's foundations are built upon honor, do you realize the message this is sending them?

And, with the structure of their country, do you really think they have weak tech? I remember a news report years back about a recovered drone from them. It said that their tech with the drone was really weak. This seems to me like an obvious tactic to make people think they have weak tech, when they really have a lot more cards in their hand. Just my opinion. But again, with the structure of their country, they could accomplish so much more for the world.

I can't pretend to understand why they are stuck in this domination mode, but they could be doing a lot more to help the world instead, and this would actually prove more beneficial to their entire country than playing war games.

Just saiyan... >:3

Back