Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

View Poll Results: Is Fire Emblem: Conjoinst Souls something that you'd be interested in reading?
Yes 1 50.00%
No 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 2nd, 2017 (4:52 AM).
I'm too nervous to look...

Nature: Lonely
    ...Or Nanu, you know... a cop, can simply inform Grimsley of Skull and their antics. While it sounds boring, it's the event that leads Nanu to inform him that can prove entertaining. Like bobandbill said, interaction is probably best. Grimsley can interact with some grunts, and then Nanu and possibly Acerola can begin telling him of Skull.

Relevant Advertising!

Old January 2nd, 2017 (7:02 PM).
    O, Dance of Devotion!

Nature: Sassy
    Thanks Taro Tanaka and bobandbill for your suggestions!

Spoiler:
    Yeah, I thought about Nanu letting Grimsley know about Team Skull somewhere down the line. I originally thought about Grimsley going to Po Town also, but it might complicate things. But yeah, probably will just have him encounter grunts and some interaction.
    Old January 21st, 2017 (8:52 AM).

Greeting fellow users of Pokécommunity. I had started on a story based off of Fire Emblem some time ago, but deserted it. Then I watched the Fire Emblem Direct, downloaded four different FE roms and got inspired again. Here is a synopsis I wrote when I started to work on it again:

The continent of Ignis is split into five different countries: the empire of Cicerus, the kingdom of Veroe, the parliamentary democracy of Arnion, the warrior society known as Kinea, and the small theocracy of Moria. In the midst of an Industrial Revolution, the most recent Cicerusian emperor, Viktor, passes and his eldest son Alistair inherits the throne. Shortly after, his second eldest son, Charles, moves to the capital of Veroe to marry the princess, Lucindia. All is well for a time, until war breaks out between the two nations. Charles sides with his new bride, her family, and her nation, making him his own family’s enemy. After the war, Cicerus does all it can to fix the crippled Veroe, but the relief effort is interrupted by uprisings by the Feramil, a people with the ability to turn into various animals. The Feramil were slaves until after a was a decade prior, and still treated like second-class citizens. In both wars, many Feramil lost their lives, and some say more Feramil died than humans, despite the fact that they’re the minority in the kingdom. The uprising finds allies in select groups of Feramil from Kinea, and all of those involved have one goal: to wipe humanity off of the planet for all of the atrocities committed. Among some radicals, this goal then grows to include the extermination of the Nagamil, the people of Arnion, capable of turning into dragons, because they refuse to take a side. The new war rages, until a plot is uncovered surrounding The Fourth Order, the continent’s prominent religion, one which concerns the fate of the world.

Aside from that, I don't know much about what I'd want to do with the story. And for some reason, I have a cast of about thirty or so characters. In true Fire Emblem fashion, the vast majority have little to no plot relevance, but since this isn't a game, it makes their existence even more illogical. So, I decided to write supports for all of these characters, as well as paralogues in order to flesh them out more. I also think that it would be a good idea to 'feature' one or two of the other not as important characters into each of the main story chapters.

Anyway, I would like to know if anyone would be interested in reading this story once I've worked more on it. If you're interested, please either leave a response or simply vote in the poll. After a while I'll check and see what the people think.

I made an RP named Arcaea Chronicles, but still waiting for character submissions. If anyone wants to check it out and see if they'd want to join, here it is: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=9223906#post9223906
      Old January 21st, 2017 (4:02 PM).
      O, Dance of Devotion!

Hey so I moved your post to this thread as it seems you need some help with your idea/wanting to know if someone is interested in it. I don't know too much about Fire Emblem, so I can't help you there but I'm sure there are other folks that can. Wish you luck, either way.
      Old January 22nd, 2017 (5:09 PM).
      Muddling along somehow
      • Silver Tier

Nature: Quiet
      I'm not a huge Fire Emblem buff either, but I do know my way around a generous handful of titles. Sounds like you've got a lot of worldbuilding done... perhaps too much for the beginning of the story. My advice is this: first, trim down the cast to a core handful of characters that'll be easy for the readers to keep track of. Second, start the world small, confining the activity to one conflicted sector and spreading out to other areas. Tolkien, for example, starts off in the Shire and slowly expands the world as needed, and doesn't explain Rohan or Riverrun until they become places relevant to the plot.

As for what to do... start writing it. Start in the middle of a conflict and expand on it, figure out what the characters involve want and have them act upon those desires, and before you know it, you'll have a plot.

Don't mind me, I'll just be lurking in the shadows over here.

My fanfics:

Through the Scope (pretty bad)

Through the Aura (somewhat tolerable)

Through the Darkness (getting better)

Sleepy Chateau (a Halloween collab with Bay)

Also, come check out the Underground
      for some fun, laughs, and murder!
      Old January 24th, 2017 (5:06 PM).
      I'm too nervous to look...

Nature: Lonely
        All Fire Emblem is about war. I strongly advise you to make it... a little different. Like Pokemon did with the badges and trials this time around. It needs to stand out a whole lot.

But the things that drive FE are support-convos and action, both of which make it hard to write a full fic. Like when you see a movie of a game and hate that they cut out a lot. So, while I support your idea, I find myself hoping that you know what you're doing. -w-
        Old February 1st, 2017 (4:45 PM).
        say it with me (Vray-gun)

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Shadowchaos1010 View Post
          Anyway, I would like to know if anyone would be interested in reading this story once I've worked more on it. If you're interested, please either leave a response or simply vote in the poll. After a while I'll check and see what the people think.
          The small snippit you gave sounds a lot in common with the Tellius series (I've played FE and also a fan so, Yah Ike!)

If your going to make a large continent with many kingdoms, I would agree with Taro Tanaka that it needs to stand out from the Tellius series, but there may be other ways around that.

Since your's has a group like the Grimleal (from awakening) I would suggest making them different at least in nature. Also, Support conversations are good, but you would need to make adaptions should certain plot lines fail. I would suggest creating your supports, after you know where this story will go.

I know it's hard to not have some FE (It's really awesome and even I have issues with not using some) but it good to have some originality. Your two brothers of the kingdoms Cicerus and Veroe was a differ in my opinion (unless there is one like this that I don't know).

But, I wouldn't advice you to give it up. There is good potential here and though the little bit of stuff you did show, is just what it is. A little bit of stuff of a bigger picture. FE fans like it for story, strategy, support, characters, and the genre. I am curious about how you plan to involve guerrilla warfare in the uprising and such. Though I am also wondering who your protagonist is. But don't worry about it. From the vantage point I have, it looks like a skeleton to the future GRIMA! (FE fan nerd I am).

Robin all the way

*Good luck and have fun with it.*
          Old April 22nd, 2017 (11:41 AM).
          Ο Εχθρός μας

Nature: Mild
            Though i'm not asking about an idea I had, this is the only place I could ask this question because I don't want to ask on my own fanfic.
            Though I did try asking somewhere else and I got no response.

I got a story about a Pokemon world(which has nothing to do with Mystery Dungeon, i'll have you know) and I can't think of a good pokemon that would be a sheriff.
            He'd be like the type of sheriff that would sit in a rocking chair and play sudoku and help people when the mayor's out.
            Old April 22nd, 2017 (3:14 PM).
            O, Dance of Devotion!

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Razgrey View Post
            I got a story about a Pokemon world(which has nothing to do with Mystery Dungeon, i'll have you know) and I can't think of a good pokemon that would be a sheriff.
            He'd be like the type of sheriff that would sit in a rocking chair and play sudoku and help people when the mayor's out.
            Hm, maybe a Psychic type since they tend to be the most intelligent Pokemon types and likely to play sudoku. For some reason, Slowking is the first to pop up haha.
            Old April 23rd, 2017 (11:55 AM).
            say it with me (Vray-gun)

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Razgrey View Post
              Though i'm not asking about an idea I had, this is the only place I could ask this question because I don't want to ask on my own fanfic.
              Though I did try asking somewhere else and I got no response.

My suggestions would be a bipedal Pokémon considering the descriptive activities he does you supplied. My thoughts would be: Smeargle (is often underrated plus has uniqueness with his "sketch" to "Draw" the opponents moves, ignore pun.), Gengar (for that smile and I could see him in a hat), a bipedal rock, ground, or steel type, (like an Aagron, tyranitar, Garchomp, of Flygon), or maybe your basic Amphoros (nostalgia).

But yeah, with what your intend to use him for, I would advice choosing a mon that reflects or can reflect the persona and play it well. Or in other words, a mon that could play the character and make it work.
              Old April 23rd, 2017 (6:58 PM).
              Ο Εχθρός μας

Nature: Mild
                Okay I got something, thank you.
                Old April 24th, 2017 (3:17 AM).
                Muddling along somehow
                • Silver Tier

I think I'll try throwing an idea out here. It's from a dream I had, one unusually vivid and rich with emotion.

It starts off with me walking down a college street at the beginning of senior year. All of the sudden, there's a crazy time transition. I'm walking on an entirely different street in the same city, there's snow all around, I'm wearing different clothes, my hair and beard have grown an unruly six inches, and to top it off, I have two cell phones now. My old one's barely touched, and the new one has a slew of contacts I've never seen before. The only way I know it's mine is my sister contacts me unusually often and several texts have my name on them.

And that same cell phone says it's the middle of November.

So, having absolutely no idea what's going on, I look through the most recent texts and find out I was on my way to watch a contact's pokemon match. I go there, explain everything once I find that person, and then they tell me that I had spent the last twelve months as a member of a resistance movement that opposes the government's control over finance and health matters. Currency is being weeded out in favor of debit cards the government can manipulate at will, doctors and treatments are selected for you, and the government is tightening its control over your occupation, pay, pokemon, etc.

Wait, twelve months? The cell phone neglected to mention the year, which is now 2018. I didn't graduate, but clung to the university for another year, pursuing a philosophy degree while fighting in the resistance.

The resistance movement, heavily based on 18th century French philosophy and anyone else who says that freedom is good, clings to the old cash currency, shops only at like-minded facilities that still trade in the stuff, and are backed by a shadow informant that guides their actions. I very reluctantly join this group, filled with people I don't even know.

The first portion of the story depicts the day-to-day routine of protests and pamphlets, adjusting to classes I have zero experience with, and gradually warming up to the liberateurs after a period of intense debate, emotional outbursts, and a series of shocking personal revelations. Then events spiral out of control - I'm not sure how yet, I'll figure that out when I get there.

Skip forward to me meeting the Spymaster for the government. He informs me that I was, in truth, an undercover agent on their behalf, voluntarily brainwashed to find out who is their shadow informant. I refuse to believe him until he shows me footage of our conversation fifteen months ago. My questions line up almost perfectly with the footage. He shows me documents I signed verifying my consent. And the reason I joined? For a guaranteed safe, cushy government job once the task was done. To sweeten the bargain, they took my own wobbuffet and replaced it with an electabuzz, which the resistance evolved into a government-sanctioned electivire.

I intend for this piece to have a few central themes. Front and center will be philosophy, particularly how philosophies war with themselves. Though the government and the liberateurs have radically different ideologies, both sides agree that the other philosophy must be eradicated or they themselves will be wiped out. The Spymaster borrows heavily from Nazi philosopher Carl Schmitt and the idea that a common enemy is necessary to unite the people and keep them from infighting, and so, the government has directed the country's attention to foreign terrorism, using that as justification for large-scale military attacks and for crushing resistance within the nation.

The liberateurs take a more pacifistic approach, attempting to unite the world through conversion of philosophy. Their philosophy is full of contradictions, which I point out often, that they believe in complete freedom but attempt to prevent people from falling in line with the government's philosophy. Their answer is that they support the freedom of everyone - to make as many people happy as possible, they have to force understanding and empathy onto everyone.

Memory will also be explored. With my own memory wiped, I am forced to use external media, such as cell phone texts, documents, and video footage to piece together what had happened. It will call into question the effectiveness of such means of preserving memory when faced with human disbelief and the possibility of false interpretation.

The dream gets sketchy beyond this point, but I do distinctly remember that the shadow informant of the liberateurs is, in fact, Celebi. Fearing that the government wished to take control of its powers, Celebi organized resistance around the world to overthrow it. I had successfully learned its identity, but Celebi, foreseeing my intentions, used its powers to revert my mind to an earlier state, thus resulting in my amnesia and undoing the government's brainwashing.

So, thoughts?

My fanfics:

Old April 24th, 2017 (5:02 PM).
                O, Dance of Devotion!

Why am I amused this resistance is started by Celebi? The resistance's symbol can be that Pokemon too. Via la Revolution!

In all seriousness though, sounds like this could make for a very fun thriller/suspense story. Only thing is I would be careful with The Spymaster borrowing Nazi philosophy since it's a touchy subject. For instance, Marvel has been getting heat for their latest Hydra stuff. Otherwise, I would say go for it!
                Old April 25th, 2017 (2:40 AM).
                Muddling along somehow
                • Silver Tier

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Bay Alexison View Post
                Why am I amused this resistance is started by Celebi? The resistance's symbol can be that Pokemon too. Via la Revolution!

In all seriousness though, sounds like this could make for a very fun thriller/suspense story. Only thing is I would be careful with The Spymaster borrowing Nazi philosophy since it's a touchy subject. For instance, Marvel has been getting heat for their latest Hydra stuff. Otherwise, I would say go for it!
                Hmm... you make an excellent point there. It troubles me that the political climate does not allow for educated, thorough, and impartial discussion on the matter, since those who forget history are doomed to repeat it, but there's no sense in sticking my neck out over the chopping block when there's plenty of other philosophers to try out.

My fanfics:

Old April 26th, 2017 (7:24 PM).
                Beautiful Insanity

Nature: Naughty
                  I haven't posted in this particular thread before but here goes. (And sorry for not giving input)

So a while ago, I wrote this short;

(Mention of death, poisoning)
                  Spoiler:
                  "Time never stops, it is an never-ending cycle that measures life."

Running. I'm running. Why? Why am I in a rush? Where am I going? I don't know. But something inside me urges me to keep going. So I continue, desperately trying to keep my pace. Something cool is on my wrist, it looks like a watch but it's counting down.

"It is precious to us, but we often don't realize how much."

Fifty seconds left? Why when I look at it do I feel nauseous? Why do I feel I have to go faster after looking at it? What does it mean? I want answers, I'm desperate... but I don't realize what the clock is. I see something rush in front of me and fear grips my chest. I feel adrenaline rush into my veins. I have to move. I have to remove the clock. But why?

"We will show those who take it for granted..."

How is time important, and why does it drive me forward? Ten seconds. Why did my heart drop? Oh right. I remember now. I was covered in dirt, and I tried to remove the watch as the seconds decreased. My clothes looked more like tattered rags. This clock. It counts life. We were puppets used for this pitiful experiment. I was screaming now, trying to rip off the watch before the countdown ended.

"Just how precious time is."

The watch counted zero and I felt the bottom shift and something prick my skin. The watch was a death clock, and only those who made it to the other side survived. My system was being poisoned and I felt it shutting down. I cried, trying to fight what was quickly killing me. And as my vision faded, I had one thought.

"What if time were to stop?"

And I thought about making a story out of it. My basic what if question was "What if clocks told people how long they had to live?"

I was thinking of a survival game type story. Originally I was going to twist it into a Pokèmon fanfic, but I'm not sure how well I could write Pokèmon. I've done it once on another forum and it was terrible. Admittedly I was way young, but still.

Either way, my question becomes do you think this is a good idea? Should I try for Pokèmon? Or do you think it would be better as an original story?

PsychoticMoonlight

Trade Corner
                  FC:
                  3583-2872-5103
                  Shop | Reviews

The Writer
                  Wattpad | Fictionpress
                  Psychotic's Short Poetry
                  Old April 26th, 2017 (9:24 PM).
                  O, Dance of Devotion!

I do like that short and I think the concept would make for a great survival game. As for whether you want it to be Pokemon or not, it depends. You think you'll need some stuff from Pokemon canon (setting, characters, items, etc) to make your plot work? For instance, a bit cliche but you can perhaps involve Dialga/Celebi in your story since you have this clock theme going on. Or maybe you're interested in a Pokemon character (or Pokemon characters) in that situation to see how they'll react? Perhaps you rather not restrict yourself to Pokemon canon and just go with your own setting/our real world setting? You can go either way to be honest.
                  Old April 26th, 2017 (10:02 PM).
                  Beautiful Insanity

Well, since clocks are involved I thought that the XTransceiver would be perfect. My first thought was for Sliph Co to be behind it, I just need a reasonable explanation. I.E. Something like testing the boundaries of the human psyche or something. If I did go with own world, my problem would be building said world. I'm not the best at world building. In all honesty, I thought about making it an OT Fanfic, but I don't know if I should. And I don't want to try using canon characters, only because I'm not familiar with their personalities.

PsychoticMoonlight

Trade Corner
                    FC:
                    3583-2872-5103
                    Shop | Reviews

The Writer
                    Wattpad | Fictionpress
                    Psychotic's Short Poetry
                    Old April 27th, 2017 (6:56 PM).
                    O, Dance of Devotion!

Ah, ok. To be honest, the Xtransceiver didn't cross my mind until you mentioned it, but that could work along with the testing the human psyche reason there. I think your idea could work as an OT fic, too.
                    Old 1 Week Ago (4:11 PM).
                    Barely Living
                    • Crystal Tier

I don't know if this has been done before, but I've been thinking about a short story dealing with the ghost of marowak and how it's possible that it could have defeated red and taken over his body, turning a somewhat carefree journeyed into a ruthless battling veteran bent on crushing team rocket and becoming stronger until he's become out of control and secluded himself before finally being defeated on mt silver, putting both Pokemon and trainer to rest.
                    Old 1 Week Ago (6:33 PM).
                    O, Dance of Devotion!

Even if that idea has been done to death (I'm not sure myself since I don't go my way trying to find fics with that idea), I think you should still for it! Could be interesting if you're able to have some morality conflict between Red and the Marowak, like Red aware he's being cursed but then it's harder for him to resist it.
                    Old 1 Week Ago (10:26 AM).
                    Barely Living
                    • Crystal Tier

Yeah I'd been thinking about having a lot of inner conflict with Red & his Pokemon versus Marowak since they would likely sense a change in their trainers character and try to help him out. I'm just not sure that it would be completely believable to have the Marowak possessing Red to also leech out into the Pokemon he's in control of? If it is, then that would mean the story could become a lot more interesting for more than a couple of chapters.

Sponsored Links