• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RHIOneAlbum

Banned
Years
No, I don't. That sounds like a Game Boy Advance tool instead of a DS tool, though. Are you sure it can help? :cer_confused:

@Ash its both emulator
Krotar, the debug version is a must have for DS hacking. It costs $15 last time I checked and let's you see all of the code and scripts while playing the game, perfect for rom hackers.

Years
  • Seen May 10, 2012
Oh. Shame I'm flat broke. Even if I had $15 dollars, my folks would never put up with me buying something like that. They're freaking out over all this ROM hacking business enough as it is. They're scared Nintendo's gunna sick the FBI on us or something.

Is the non-debug version free? I'm using DeSmuME right now, but it lags something fierce. (It has a "Dev" mode, but I don't think it's the same thing as a Debug mode.)

RHIOneAlbum

Banned
Years
Oh. Shame I'm flat broke. Even if I had $15 dollars, my folks would never put up with me buying something like that. They're freaking out over all this ROM hacking business enough as it is. They're scared Nintendo's gunna sick the FBI on us or something.

Is the non-debug version free? I'm using DeSmuME right now, but it lags something fierce. (It has a "Dev" mode, but I don't think it's the same thing as a Debug mode.)

Try torrenting it maybe? Its a must have, along with hex workshop. And yea, I would imagine that haha, my parents are like ok, just don't do something illegal. Of which all roms are unless dumped yourself, wtvr tho lol.

Years
  • Seen May 10, 2012
I've heard of that Hex thingy a lot, but I'm still hazy on what it actually does. I think it has something to do with editing sprites, but I thought you could just do that in paint?

Years
  • Seen May 10, 2012
Is that like the editor.exe thing I got awhile ago?

Also, it took me awhile to remember DSs have more than just A and B buttons (derpa herp), so I was only recently able to check my trainer card. Even though all my other sprites got in fine, I still had the default guy on the card. I replaced the a072 narc thing like the tutorials and stuff told me to. What'd I do wrong?

Years
  • Seen May 10, 2012
Weird. You'd think the developers would've just doubled up to save space or something.

As for the graphics swap, I used a program called NitroExplorer2b and Kazo's BW tools. Once I made some narc files for the Pre-battle mugshot, overworld sprites, and front/back trainer battle sprites with Kazo's tools, I used Nitro's "reinsert" button to swap them with the ROM's old files.
Or did you mean to tell you how I switch the trainer card sprite when I figure that out? I can do that, too, assuming I actually CAN figure it out.

Lastly, now that I've got this hex editor, how do I use it to swap in those last few graphics?

RHIOneAlbum

Banned
Years
This is why I sent RHITwo to the mods

This person doesn't know what a hex editor is! He uses programs like handouts and tries to make a hack. No offense to you, everybody has potential, but it just takes longer than it should. But yea, you should attempt GBA hacking before going right to NDS

Years
  • Seen May 10, 2012
I wasn't trying to make a full fledged hack. I know that's WAY outta my league. I just wanted to swap in some new graphics for B/W's player character. I didn't think it'd be this complicated (which just gives more proof to how much of a newb I am at this, I guess).

I'm not trying to treat the programs like handouts. I realize that a LOT of work went into making them for the sake of making hacking easier, and when I think about the kind of effort and tech-smarts that must've gone into their creation, it blows my mind. I didn't mean to seem ungrateful. I really appreciate the help people've been giving me and the patience they've had in answering my stupid questions.

Maybe I should be satisfied with the progress I've made so far and wait until I know a bit about basic programming before trying to continue. :/

RHIOneAlbum

Banned
Years
I wasn't trying to make a full fledged hack. I know that's WAY outta my league. I just wanted to swap in some new graphics for B/W's player character. I didn't think it'd be this complicated (which just gives more proof to how much of a newb I am at this, I guess).

I'm not trying to treat the programs like handouts. I realize that a LOT of work went into making them for the sake of making hacking easier, and when I think about the kind of effort and tech-smarts that must've gone into their creation, it blows my mind. I didn't mean to seem ungrateful. I really appreciate the help people've been giving me and the patience they've had in answering my stupid questions.

Maybe I should be satisfied with the progress I've made so far and wait until I know a bit about basic programming before trying to continue. :/

No no no! I wasnt trying to discourage you! I mean, yea knowledge of hex and stuff is good. And I wasn't accusing you of treating them like handouts! You didn't seem ungrateful at all to me, it's my wording that I think makes me hard to understand... But I would recommend to keep doing what you do and try new things as you progress! Everybody has potential if they keep trying, that's all I was saying. :3

Keep on hackin'
~RHIOne

Dark pokemon

Beginner Hacker
Years

No, not really, considering that a hex editor doesn't throw errors for ROM corruption (since it wouldn't know if a ROM is corrupted, considering it's something that only a game-specific tool would tell).
Reasons for the "error saving file" could be either that the file is set as read-only (although hex editors normally don't care about that, when editing files) or, more likely, that you have that ROM opened with some other program at the same time.
Anyway I would suggest the use of other hex editors, like HexWorkshop (personally my favorite) or WindHex.

It was the rom needed the U version

Years
I think this is where this best fits, but can someone please tell me the script of prof. Oak in fire red (The one inside the lab, not outside).

~Thanks~

Years
  • Seen Jul 31, 2012
I've searched the forums and toolbox forever, but I can't find it anywhere: I'm looking for a tool for a Pokemon GBA rom that lets you change the names of types. Say, for instance, I want to change GROUND type to EARTH type. I could've sworn I had seen one at one time. Or if anyone knows how to change the name with another tool and actually have it appear as the new name in-game. If anyone can help at all, that'd be great and I'd be extremely thankful!

RHIOneAlbum

Banned
Years
I think this is where this best fits, but can someone please tell me the script of prof. Oak in fire red (The one inside the lab, not outside).

~Thanks~

Go into Advancemap then click on scripts. Once in scripts, select Oaks person even and open the script in XSE. The offset is also displayed in AM.

DuoRyan

Hack'in as usual, it seem.
Years
I need help so I trying to insert the trainer facing asm routine the I put both routine into free space and then I don't get this part
In the Script replace the YY's With the pointer to the TFH routine (+1)
Compile the script, and record it's location.
Reverse the location so it can be pointed to in hex.

Now go to these three locations:
0x1a4ebd, 0x1a4ee4 and 0x1a4f15

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
I've searched the forums and toolbox forever, but I can't find it anywhere: I'm looking for a tool for a Pokemon GBA rom that lets you change the names of types. Say, for instance, I want to change GROUND type to EARTH type. I could've sworn I had seen one at one time. Or if anyone knows how to change the name with another tool and actually have it appear as the new name in-game. If anyone can help at all, that'd be great and I'd be extremely thankful!

You would have to find that data yourself in HEX. Trial and error, look for GROUND in poketext, the best I can describe how the pokemon hex is translated to ascii.

Code:
0=
01=À
02=Á
03=Â
04=Ç
05=È
06=É
07=Ê
08=Ë
09=Ì
0B=Î
0C=Ï
0D=Ò
0E=Ó
0F=Ô
10=Æ
11=Ù
12=Ú
13=Û
14=Ñ
15=ß
16=à
17=á
19=ç
1A=è
1B=é
1C=ê
1D=ë
1E=ì
20=î
21=ï
22=ò
23=ó
24=ô
25=æ
26=ù
27=ú
28=û
29=ñ
2A=º
2B=ª
2C=·
2D=&
2E=+
34=[Lv]
35==
36=;
51=¿
52=¡
53=[PK]
54=[MN]
55=[PO]
56=[Ke]
57=[BL]
58=[OC]
59=[K]
5A=Í
5B=%
5C=(
5D=)
68=â
6F=í
79=[u]
7A=[D]
7B=[L]
7C=[R]
A1=0
A2=1
A3=2
A4=3
A5=4
A6=5
A7=6
A8=7
A9=8
AA=9
AB=!
AC=?
AD=.
AE=-
AF=·
B0=[...]
B1="
B2=["]
B3='
B4=[']
B5=[m]
B6=[f]
B7=$
B8=,
B9=[x]
BA=/
BB=A
BC=B
BD=C
BE=D
BF=E
C0=F
C1=G
C2=H
C3=I
C4=J
C5=K
C6=L
C7=M
C8=N
C9=O
CA=P
CB=Q
CC=R
CD=S
CE=T
CF=U
D0=V
D1=W
D2=X
D3=Y
D4=Z
D5=a
D6=b
D7=c
D8=d
D9=e
DA=f
DB=g
DC=h
DD=i
DE=j
DF=k
E0=l
E1=m
E2=n
E3=o
E4=p
E5=q
E6=r
E7=s
E8=t
E9=u
EA=v
EB=w
EC=x
ED=y
EE=z
EF=[>]
F0=:
F1=Ä
F2=Ö
F3=Ü
F4=ä
F5=ö
F6=ü
F7=[u]
F8=[d]
F9=[l]
FA=\l
FB=\p
FC=\c
FD=\v
FE=\n
FF=\x

\n=new line
IE. Hi\n my name is Ralph
would appear in game as
"Hi
my name is Ralph"

Every time you encounter the word GROUND in your findings, change it to something else, and test it in game. If it worked, HOORAY, you just found good data and if you share it someone, or even yourself can make a tool for it.

But of course that info goes in the development and information section if you happen to find out and wish to share.

Years
I keep asking questions but they keep getting moved/deleted/locked so I am going to post here. Apparently questions about Pokemon Gaming belong in the Pokemon Gaming forums. Not the Pokemon General forums... gah anyways!

I am looking for a Pokemon game to start playing. I am doing an LP on Black & White right now and I want another Pokemon game to play in the mean time. To be honest I have never played Pokemon before but I am falling in love, haha. I don't care for graphics but I do care for a good story/features/challenge. So if you have any suggestions let me know.

If this gets removed/locked or something. I am sorry but I don't think I understand the forums sections.

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 17, 2019
A hex editor? No, it displays the bytes of a game (0 to F) and allows you to modify them. It can do many things.
A byte's is actually 0x00 to 0xFF (while "0x0 to 0xF" is a nybble). Just to be correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back