• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sim City 4 Deluxe Edition! - "MOM, DONAVANNJ'S BEING A NERD AGAIN!"

Years
Okay, so... I am now going to share with you all my intensest form of nerdery by sharing my works in Sim City 4 Deluxe Edition (with some plugins) with you all! Basically I'm sort of doing this as an interactive build, but I'm doing it across multiple sites. So pardon my boring words at times, as I'm copying much of this from another vB forum I'm posting this at to save myself some time.

Update 1 - A brief introduction:
Spoiler:

Notes:
- Sim City 4 allows you to build a "region" of cities that are interconnected.
- The Timbuktu region is where all the tutorial cities are.
- I didn't complete the aforementioned tutorials. I just jumped right in and altered the tutorial cities to suit my needs.

I'll probably drop Update 2 either tomorrow or Saturday.

Last edited:
Years
Oh wow, this is actually one of the games I used to play alot. I had some mods installed for it and such. I can't wait to see where this goes! (it might be getting me back into SC for a while)

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
BUILD A NEW CITY AND NAME IT CATDOGTOPIA OR I'LL NEVER SPEAK TO YOU AGAIN!

Er, I mean, good luck with your LP. Haven't played SimCity 4 in an absolute age!

Years
Oh wow, this is actually one of the games I used to play alot. I had some mods installed for it and such. I can't wait to see where this goes! (it might be getting me back into SC for a while)

Looking at other people's cities tends to have that same effect on me.

BUILD A NEW CITY AND NAME IT CATDOGTOPIA OR I'LL NEVER SPEAK TO YOU AGAIN!

Er, I mean, good luck with your LP. Haven't played SimCity 4 in an absolute age!

Sorry, all my city tiles are already named... except for four small city tiles that are completely water at the south end of the region. Maybe I'll get land in those and name one of them Catdogtopia.

Anyway...

Update 2 - Touring Donavann

Notes:
- I am using a few plugins/mods. Chief among them is the NAM (Network Addon Mod).
- You guys can take the liberty of proposing development ideas if you so wish.

Spoiler:

Update 3 coming whenever. Not sure when. Depends on my laziness and how busy I get with family. This thread actually has more replies than the original I'm posting elsewhere!

Last edited:

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
Man, thanks for making me feel bad about how well I play this game. I've never been able to get a city/cities that large, and I'm sure I would end up somehow screwing it up in every possible way if I even tried. In any case, that large island in the river needs to be an amusement park. One big amusement park.

Because that would be awesome.

Yuoaman

Years
It's pretty simple to get the general idea, just build roads for people to use, set zoning for different uses, and make sure everyone has electricity and water.

But then it gets worse.

Always.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Ew, diagonal roads! I honestly don't know how you can use those, but to each his own, I suppose. Presumably you want some hi-tech industry in Donavann, especially to get rid of the crappy Dirty/Manufacturing stuff that's already there. How's your education coming along? If that's relatively good, maybe you could test drive some high-density Industry in a part of town far, far away from the polluting areas. In order to maximise the potential success, you'd need to drastically lower taxes for Hi-Tech and drastically raise them for Dirty/Industrial. If you do this for a few months and hi-tech move in and there's still demand for more, you could keep expanding a little bit, while steadily raising the taxes of the crappy industry until they're forced out.

Dammit, now this is just making ME want to make a new city!

blue

gucci
Years
Well yours is certainly far better than mine, it looks excellent. I've been meaning to play this as I've been playing Sim City 3000 and I remember it's not as good as SC4.

Years
Man, thanks for making me feel bad about how well I play this game. I've never been able to get a city/cities that large, and I'm sure I would end up somehow screwing it up in every possible way if I even tried. In any case, that large island in the river needs to be an amusement park. One big amusement park.

Because that would be awesome.

I use money cheats because I don't have the patience to wait around for funds to build up so I can build out.

Makes me want to play this game. How does the mechanics work and such? [/Just reads a FAQ]
See this:
It's pretty simple to get the general idea, just build roads for people to use, set zoning for different uses, and make sure everyone has electricity and water.

But then it gets worse.

Always.

Except you don't exactly need water to everyone. Unless you want higher density zones.

Ew, diagonal roads! I honestly don't know how you can use those, but to each his own, I suppose. Presumably you want some hi-tech industry in Donavann, especially to get rid of the crappy Dirty/Manufacturing stuff that's already there. How's your education coming along? If that's relatively good, maybe you could test drive some high-density Industry in a part of town far, far away from the polluting areas. In order to maximise the potential success, you'd need to drastically lower taxes for Hi-Tech and drastically raise them for Dirty/Industrial. If you do this for a few months and hi-tech move in and there's still demand for more, you could keep expanding a little bit, while steadily raising the taxes of the crappy industry until they're forced out.

Dammit, now this is just making ME want to make a new city!

Diagonal roads are awesome thank you very much. Though this city is basically an altered version of the tutorial city Big City Tutorial that I renamed via cheats. My plan is to eventually boot industry from the city entirely. High tech or otherwise. But I don't have any demand issues. Demand is full up for both commercial and industrial zones. I also know how to get high tech in and dirty out, but high tech demand and dirty industry demand are actually the lowest for the I portion of the RCI demand indicator. Even agriculture demand is higher.

Well yours is certainly far better than mine, it looks excellent. I've been meaning to play this as I've been playing Sim City 3000 and I remember it's not as good as SC4.

Sim City 3000 was good for its time, but Sim City 4, with even just a few plugins installed, is even deeper in terms of gameplay.

Update 3 - Donavann Gets a Waterfront District
Spoiler:

And now you guys are caught up with that other site. I'm gonna be updating that other site in the next couple days since I have a few updates worth of work to upload. And an update here is directly affected by any updates I do or don't do at that other site.

Last edited:
Years
Here guys have a colossal, bandwidth killing update.

Update 4 - Supersized Pics and a Tour of Dakota City!
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
Years
My Goodness!!!! I just re downloaded Simcity again a couple of days ago and I gotta say...I LOVE IT...AGAIN! I am happy to hear that you cheat because I was gonna get disappointed for a second there for the massive creation :P I feel like posting my own creation...So.....GOTTA GO CHEAT AND BUILD ;)

Years
God damn you Dondon.
This has gone on my list of things to play... again! XD

That's what I'm here for! :P

It's always quite fun in my experience! But I do have a lot of custom content installed for my game.

My Goodness!!!! I just re downloaded Simcity again a couple of days ago and I gotta say...I LOVE IT...AGAIN! I am happy to hear that you cheat because I was gonna get disappointed for a second there for the massive creation :P I feel like posting my own creation...So.....GOTTA GO CHEAT AND BUILD ;)

I use the BSC BAT Bank series of buildings for money since it doesn't screw with the game's mechanics other than giving you up to 50,000,000 simoleons in one click.

Anyway, since replies were so fast, here's another update! This time, you're getting it before that other site I post it at! Since there are no replies there yet.

Update 5 - Grenadia Flats
Spoiler:

That's it for this update!

If this doesn't make this page a bandwidth killer I don't know what will.

Last edited:

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
Years
You build a lot! Thnx for the update :) BTW, may I know the name of the "Roundabout" you downloaded? Is it from Simtropolis?

Above all that I have been wandering, have you tried doing that much in Cities XL? Its a decent game ya know....except for the horrible memory leak <_<

blue

gucci
Years
Looking better each time! How long has this taken up until now? Also, this really gives me the urge to play Sim City 4. Just a matter of finding it ;_;

Years
Wow, the connection didn't lag at all. Thank you T3. o-o

Anyeays, jeez I seriously wanna play this game now, what kind of mods are out there anyways?

Plus the city is looking great, I saw one of those solar array power plants and giggled. xD

Yuoaman

Years
Roads with names, what'll they think up next?

Seriously, though, this is pretty neat and it was worth the two loading attempts to see it all - though you have to wonder at the city planners... why knock down the University stadium only to rebuild it like twenty feet away, wouldn't that have been an ideal location for the new baseball stadium?

Years
Roads with names, what'll they think up next?

Seriously, though, this is pretty neat and it was worth the two loading attempts to see it all - though you have to wonder at the city planners... why knock down the University stadium only to rebuild it like twenty feet away, wouldn't that have been an ideal location for the new baseball stadium?

It creates more jobs that's why. :P

JK, efficiency wise that does make sense. o.O

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
I certainly commend you for being able to build even with hills and rivers and all that stuff. Whenever I play, it's just 100% flat land; wouldn't know how to cope with ANY of that stuff, to my hat is tipped to you. It looks as though everything seems to be coming along nicely. Do you have any specific goals in mind for the region as a whole or are you just taking it one step at a time?

Back