Fan Games Hub General discussions about all things fan games. Topics relating to both ROM hacks and custom games are welcome here. Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.

TrollandToad.com

Old June 13th, 2017 (5:30 PM).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ray Maverick View Post
    the map seems a bit too open with nothing much going on in it. I suggest keeping in mind the player's view when mapping. player's view is somewhat limited (5 tiles up/down, 7 left/right), so if he ends up seeing not much at times, he may get bored. at least I know I do

Putting everything in this map (the mountain walls, the houses) a bit closer to each other might help with that.

The two items at the bottom seem a bit too easy too obtain

otherwise good map

here's my map:

you can jump from rock to rock
    credits: Peekychew (for castle and other tiles + inspiration from his map), WaH, ~Trebuh~, Phyromatical, WesleyFG, Zein, Zeikaro, Zeo, Alistair, Kyledove
    Those maps are beautiful, great work.

Relevant Advertising!

Old June 25th, 2017 (2:32 PM).

Review of TypicalJalapeno's Snow Map:

Spoiler:

+ I like how you've used snowy building tiles to match the style of the map.
      + I like how you've interspersed the two types of trees; it makes the map look more natural.
      - Seems quite empty, very large spaces between buildings making the map slow to traverse for no reason.
      - I assume the map will have connections at the bottom and left, if not, you'll have trouble with the border blocks.
      - The town are could use a few more unique tiles so it doesn't look so empty and plain.

Would give the map a 3.5/10 but it wouldn't take too much work to greatly improve it.

My map:

Just something I whipped up combining tiles by WesleyFG, nsora_96 and iRoCkNiKeZ's Unamed ROM Base V2 plus a few I added or tweaked myself.

Spoiler:

Not using this map in a hack - just made it to see how the tiles interface with eachother and how the tiles look in a game setting. What do you guys think of the tiles and the map? Any criticism greatly appreciated. Looking to start a hack with these tiles in the near future.
      Old June 27th, 2017 (1:47 PM). Edited June 28th, 2017 by Ray Maverick.
      • Crystal Tier

Nature: Lonely
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by RanaldRoo View Post
      Review of TypicalJalapeno's Snow Map:

My map:

Just something I whipped up combining tiles by WesleyFG, nsora_96 and iRoCkNiKeZ's Unamed ROM Base V2 plus a few I added or tweaked myself.

Spoiler:

Not using this map in a hack - just made it to see how the tiles interface with eachother and how the tiles look in a game setting. What do you guys think of the tiles and the map? Any criticism greatly appreciated. Looking to start a hack with these tiles in the near future.
      Map:
      Map looks good, though is it a town or is it a route? Usually, you see houses in towns and grass in routes. Unless you're mixing those up, which is cool in that case too.

What I have to say is mostly technical: beware of your borders. On the top left, if you walk left from the house, you can see outside the map, which should look like your border tile, unless you have connected another map to the left to continue the pattern of trees. Same goes for the pond - if the player surfs on it, he can see beyond the mountains on the right side.

A good idea would be to let the map breathe a little by putting a bit of plain grass between things... in my opinion. But I like your style in general. Your map looks fresh!

Tiles:
      not bad choice of tiles, however are some of these free to use? I don't know if Wesley made his trees public. Also, I see two kinds of mountain tiles. I'm not too fond of that, as they're too dissimilar in style. It could work if they had a similar palette and pattern.

The berries on the trees are unfitting too, since their very hard outline draws the eye from the tree to the berry - they stand out way too much.

Here's my latest map, the Cave Shipwreck:

a few notes:
      *You can jump from rock to rock
      *You can Dive into the abyss
      *You need Surf to explore the shipwreck
      *While Surfing on the transparent water, you can only find wild battles while passing over the underwater grass (water Pokemon are waiting for you to Surf over them I guess)
      *This map is located towards the end of the dungeon, so if there's not much grass getting in your way, it's on purpose

I can't remember to whom the shipwreck & other tiles belong, so I'll post the entire list of credits I have for my project so far (I think everyone involved in this map should be properly credited this way):
      Spoiler:
      Kyledove, WesleyFG, Alistair, Alucus, Zein, Zelix, Zeikaro, Zeikku, Zeo254, Novus, Zeo254, TheRedEx, EVoLiNa, Phyromatical, Dewitty, Magiscarf, PeekyChew, Zerudez, ShoddyBattle, Cuddlesthefatcat, Hydrargirium, zetavares852, digibody, Davias, spaceemotion, Newtiteuf, Ozumas, Xiros, Aten974, Warpas, speedialga, saurav, newtiteuf, Stormlugia, Zusammenstellung, thegreatblaid, ~Trebuh~, JesusCarrasco, Gallanty, seiyouh

special thanks to Phyromatical for the idea for the map, which I got from his Beach Grotto map

*** Open Blue OOC ***
      Old July 1st, 2017 (10:43 AM).
      Trying

Nature: Docile
        Spoiler:
        Quote:

a few notes:
        *While Surfing on the transparent water, you can only find wild battles while passing over the underwater grass (water Pokemon are waiting for you to Surf over them I guess)
        *This map is located towards the end of the dungeon, so if there's not much grass getting in your way, it's on purpose

I can't remember to whom the shipwreck & other tiles belong, so I'll post the entire list of credits I have for my project so far (I think everyone involved in this map should be properly credited this way):
        Spoiler:
        Kyledove, WesleyFG, Alistair, Alucus, Zein, Zelix, Zeikaro, Zeikku, Zeo254, Novus, Zeo254, TheRedEx, EVoLiNa, Phyromatical, Dewitty, Magiscarf, PeekyChew, Zerudez, ShoddyBattle, Cuddlesthefatcat, Hydrargirium, zetavares852, digibody, Davias, spaceemotion, Newtiteuf, Ozumas, Xiros, Aten974, Warpas, speedialga, saurav, newtiteuf, Stormlugia, Zusammenstellung, thegreatblaid, ~Trebuh~, JesusCarrasco, Gallanty, seiyouh

special thanks to Phyromatical for the idea for the map, which I got from his Beach Grotto map

I'm pretty much exclusively going off of aesthetics, just to be clear. Looks gorgeous and I love what's going on with the water layers! Although, this is just nitpicking, but it's kinda hard to tell that this is in a cave. I can tell you tried to give it that impression with the dark borders on the rock walls, but I wouldn't have been able to tell it was a cave unless you told me. Maybe darken it up a bit if possible? Unless you plan on using a darkened effect in whatever engine you use.

Anyways, here's my map titled Draconid Village for a hypothetical Emerald Sequel. This was just made for fun and I would prefer if it was judged purely off of aesthetic alone since this will never be a fan game or hack due to a lack of time and skill. Just a fun art project is all!

Spoiler:

I almost exclusively used original tiles from Emerald, the only exception being the Sootopolis City buildings that I recolored a bit myself, as well as some diagonal stairs, again, made by me. I don't think they turned out too horribly? Anyway, the darkened space at the bottom of the map is supposed to be an entrance/exit to Meteor Falls, and the cave at the bottom of the crater is an entrance to a small dungeon.

Emerald outdoor tileset ripped by Heartlessdragoon on Spriters Resource.
        Old July 3rd, 2017 (3:07 PM). Edited July 4th, 2017 by RanaldRoo.

Review of NoMoreStars' 'Draconid Village' Map:

Spoiler:

+ I like the tree tiles used towards the middle of the map.
          + I like how the spiral shape of the path through the village, nice flow.
          + Reminds me of Sootopolis City how its surrounded my rocky hills on all sides.

- Looks a little bit cramped because of the one block wide gaps like the stairs at the top end of the map.
          - Don't think the buildings go together well with the grass - that might just be me. Feel like they'd look better on rocks or sand.
          - Could use a little more tile variety, maybe something to break up the colour of the rocky area.

Think you should have a go making a ROM Hack with it if you ever find the time. You can throw together something playable with Advance Map, paint, XSE/PKSV-UI and an emulator.

My as of yet Unnamed Starting Town:

Spoiler:

Tried to sort of surround the houses with the natural environment to create a small and forgotten little town/village. The idea is that later in the game you'll come back and go up the waterfall to access a new area.

Tile Credits to: WesleyFG (sand, house design, trees, wooden fences), iRoCkNiKeZ's Unamed ROM Base V2 (rocks, water), GameFreak (classic waterfall tiles)

Looking for general feedback/criticism. Some of the things I was thinking about were:
          + Removing the top row or two of tiles to make the map slightly shorter reducing the walk out of the town/village as the player may not have running shoes.
          + Adding flowers to the cliffs at the bottom of the map to add a bit more colour and variety.
          + Changing the classic waterfall tiles for something a bit nicer.
          Do you think these changes would be beneficial? Rating out of 10?

Update:
          I made a couple of the above changes (no changed the waterfall though) and here's how it looks now.

Improvement?
          Old July 11th, 2017 (6:51 AM).

Quote:
            Originally Posted by blockmaster3 View Post
            Wow! Nothing bad about the map at all! Looks great! I like all the different paths you can take, through the caves, and the scenery looks good! At the moment, I can't think of any constructive criticsm to give you! There is a lot of things going on in the route, it looks like, but you have organized the route in a nice way, I think. Keep up the good work!

I would like to share a screenshot of a 250 by 250 route I created. It is a huge open world style route, with influences from the Legend of Zelda series. Any way I could do this without splicing together smaller images of the map? As 1/4 zoom isn't enough in rpg maker to take screen. Thanks.

I attached a preview image of a portion of my route for now :D. What do you think? I am a beginner mapper, and I haven't done a big polish up of the whole route yet, so thats why you may see a few tile errors right now. Thanks
            The map looks pretty neat, although, in the south, instead of flowers you might use fences so it would get more of a maze kinda effect! The top east part of the map looks pretty bland, maybe add some more things there, otherwise it might look to empty in game

Here are some of my maps, the second one is Route 01 and the first one is the starter Town of the game!
            Attached Images
            File Type: png Subree Town.png‎ (295.3 KB, 41 views) (Save to Dropbox)
            File Type: png ScreenHunter 02.png‎ (321.8 KB, 30 views) (Save to Dropbox)
            Old July 20th, 2017 (5:37 PM).

Nature: Lax
              Old July 21st, 2017 (11:04 AM). Edited July 21st, 2017 by haimon_99.

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Fayt_darkblade View Post
                Spoiler:
                Its just a basic small route,not bad at all.

I made two versions of a city. Tell me what you think about it.

Spoiler:

Tiles credits:
                Pokemon Company, Zetavarez852,LotusKing.
                Old July 21st, 2017 (11:26 AM).

Its a good start, I feel its a bit too squared in. Don't get me wrong cities like Saffron are also squared in but the buildings feel a bit too uniform. Maybe put the Pokemon Center in the middle? Also I think I prefer the second one just cause the stairs seem a bit off.
                  Old July 22nd, 2017 (12:13 PM). Edited July 22nd, 2017 by Ray Maverick.
                  • Crystal Tier

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Fayt_darkblade View Post
                  Aesthetically, it doesn't look half bad, however I have to comment on some oddities and gameplay concerns that I have:

gameplay wise, you can get through this map by just walking in an upwards line for a few seconds. I don't see any grass that would maybe force you to change direction... maybe having some trainers lurk around the path that leads north would make this more fun to wade through.

Forcing the player change direction every once in a while should make the map more enjoyable to play through

Does this map have a connection to the right? You can surf to the east of this map by sticking close to the ground wall. Was this intentional? If there's nothing to the east of this map, you will have border problems in game in the surfing area close to the mountain walls.

The ground wall near you after you leave the pier shows a squarish ground tile as background - this is easily fixable with the Block Editor in a-map if you're using that

If you want to be 100% in line with Nintendo style of mapping, you have to do the tree-to-tree shading correctly, everywhere. Below is a pic where you have used the right tile (blue line) and where you have used the wrong tile (red line)

Spoiler:

Here's my map:

hack of emerald

is there a secret under that bridge?! I'll never tell

I wanted to add shadows under the large trees on the pavement but I literally run out of both tileset and blockset space, there's just not a single tile to use there

the roads of this city are made to be travelled with the Mach Bike (so they're intentionally long-winded)

Credits: Kyledove, WesleyFG, Alistair, Alucus, Zein, Zelix, Zeikaro, Zeikku, Zeo254, Novus, Zeo254, TheRedEx, EVoLiNa, Phyromatical, Dewitty, Magiscarf, PeekyChew, Zerudez, ShoddyBattle, Cuddlesthefatcat, Hydrargirium, zetavares852, digibody, Davias, spaceemotion, Newtiteuf, Ozumas, Xiros, Aten974, Warpas, speedialga, saurav, newtiteuf, Stormlugia, Zusammenstellung, thegreatblaid, ~Trebuh~, JesusCarrasco, Gallanty, seiyouh

*** Open Blue OOC ***
                  Old July 22nd, 2017 (1:55 PM).

[QUOTE=Ray Maverick;9711840]Aesthetically, it doesn't look half bad, however I have to comment on some oddities and gameplay concerns that I have:

gameplay wise, you can get through this map by just walking in an upwards line for a few seconds. I don't see any grass that would maybe force you to change direction... maybe having some trainers lurk around the path that leads north would make this more fun to wade through.

Forcing the player change direction every once in a while should make the map more enjoyable to play through

Does this map have a connection to the right? You can surf to the east of this map by sticking close to the ground wall. Was this intentional? If there's nothing to the east of this map, you will have border problems in game in the surfing area close to the mountain walls.

The ground wall near you after you leave the pier shows a squarish ground tile as background - this is easily fixable with the Block Editor in a-map if you're using that

If you want to be 100% in line with Nintendo style of mapping, you have to do the tree-to-tree shading correctly, everywhere. Below is a pic where you have used the right tile (blue line) and where you have used the wrong tile (red line)

Spoiler:

Thanks for the comment c: I see what you mean I made this map purely as an opening sequence to my world so the road leads into a campsite where one meets the Professor. Which is why there's no trainers or grass c:
                    Old July 22nd, 2017 (1:56 PM). Edited July 22nd, 2017 by Fayt_darkblade.

Quote:
                      Aesthetically, it doesn't look half bad, however I have to comment on some oddities and gameplay concerns that I have:

Spoiler:

Here's my map:

hack of emerald

is there a secret under that bridge?! I'll never tell

I wanted to add shadows under the large trees on the pavement but I literally run out of both tileset and blockset space, there's just not a single tile to use there

the roads of this city are made to be travelled with the Mach Bike (so they're intentionally long-winded)

Credits: Kyledove, WesleyFG, Alistair, Alucus, Zein, Zelix, Zeikaro, Zeikku, Zeo254, Novus, Zeo254, TheRedEx, EVoLiNa, Phyromatical, Dewitty, Magiscarf, PeekyChew, Zerudez, ShoddyBattle, Cuddlesthefatcat, Hydrargirium, zetavares852, digibody, Davias, spaceemotion, Newtiteuf, Ozumas, Xiros, Aten974, Warpas, speedialga, saurav, newtiteuf, Stormlugia, Zusammenstellung, thegreatblaid, ~Trebuh~, JesusCarrasco, Gallanty, seiyouh
                      I see what you mean O: thank you Ray and the reason for the upward direction is because this map is the opening map of my game that leads into the camp where you meet the professor c: I can add some fruit trees though c:

Oh I should add this. I like your map Ray : D its very eye catching. Also its probably a good idea you didn't add the shadows this is a fairly large map and added effects like shadows can actually slow down the game because the map is already so large. I also really like that your map doesn't feel boxy and as you stated with my map has twists and turns and doesn't feel so straight forward c: it actually makes me want to add a side road to mine o:

Its largeness is also its downfall cause going from one end to the other can make it a bit hard for the player if they don't have a mach bike. Maybe add a tunnel? Otherwise very nice map!
                      Old July 30th, 2017 (1:06 PM).

Review of Ray Maverick's Map:

Spoiler:
                        Wow! Really visually appealing map, don't think I could fault it at all. You must have the patience of a saint to insert all those tiles though it certainly paid off. Solid 10/10. If your hack has a page in the Developing Hacks area I'd be interested in seeing it.

My Map:

Spoiler:
                        Route 1; initially traversed left to right with cave blocked, later in game the waterfalls on the left can be accessed and scaled.

Any thoughts?
                        Old August 2nd, 2017 (12:44 PM).

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Dyskinesia View Post
                          Anyway, here's my map that I did today:

Imgur Link: http://i.imgur.com/DXszxuV.png

This isn't just one route/area, it's just all of my Region that I've done thus far. You start in the bottom left city, then you go into the Professor's Pokemon Sanctuary immediately to the right of that city, where you catch your first Pokemon Safari-Zone style. Then you talk to the professor inside of the cave in the center of that sanctuary about storyline fossil stuff, then you get to go on your real adventure North of the town, Route 1. All of the caves entrances on this route are blocked off at this point. You then proceed to the Beach town on the Right.

In the Beach town there is a cave entrance that you can only get to once you've gotten Surf later in the game, and inside that cave there are gonna be puzzles. When you complete them you'll be able to go out of the other two cave openings in the city, to get hidden items right outside.

Then there's obviously a lot of other stuff that are just kinda there, that I'll come up with a purpose for eventually. There's gonna be a massive cave system under the mountain range, which will at some point come out above the mountain in the clearing you can see at the top right of the map. There's also gonna be hidden things if you go up the waterfall from Route 1.

I get that it's a big map to be submitting and there's a lot going on, I just wanna make sure I'm on the right track before I start doing the cool stuff I have planned
                          Dyskinesia, what tool are you using to draw this map? Photoshop, Paint, RMXP, Advanced Map, etc?

Old August 3rd, 2017 (11:26 PM).
                          Mr. Magius

Location: If I'm online, it's a safe bet I'm at a computer.
                            Nature: Relaxed
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by FamiliaWerneck View Post
                            Dyskinesia, what tool are you using to draw this map? Photoshop, Paint, RMXP, Advanced Map, etc?
                            Probably stitched together mapshots from AMap with Paint to make one large image.
                            Old August 6th, 2017 (7:29 AM).

great!
                              I like the route
                              Old August 6th, 2017 (10:08 AM). Edited August 6th, 2017 by Arlaxeon.

Nature: Rash
                                Hi forums,

I'm here to have my cave map reviewed because im not quite confident about the second one and I'd like to hear what you guys think about it.
                                In this cave you'll find the usual Zubat and Geodude but all the other Pokemon are Bug-types.

Termite Cave B1F
                                Spoiler:

Notes
                                You fight a Gym leader in this room. The entrance to B2F is blocked off until you beat him and he removes the roadblock.

Termite Cave B2F
                                Spoiler:

Notes
                                The nearby town has a gang problem that the Gym leader wants you to take care of after you beat him.
                                Gang members are spread all across the cave and you'll fight the boss in the clearing in the top right.

Another question, do you think I should add darkness (Flash usable) to B2F?

P.S. Credits to UnamedROMBaseV2

_________________________________________________________________________________________

As for RanaldRoo's Route 1 map, I really like that one!
                                Lots of detail in the mountains with all the rocks and especially the waterfalls are nice.

But that wooden fence in the middle that forces you to go over the rocks bothers me a bit.
                                I'd personally say a ledge fits there better.
                                Old August 6th, 2017 (11:29 AM). Edited August 6th, 2017 by Charmiebee.

Quote:

a few notes:

beautiful map love the tileset

Here is my world map im working on i stitched it together using paint

here is a forest

and a cave
                                  Old August 11th, 2017 (10:23 PM).
                                  Media Arts and Game Development

Nature: Adamant
                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by Charmiebee View Post

here is a forest
                                    and a cave
                                    Hi Charmiebee, I think your world map is pretty good, reminds me of Fire Red.
                                    The forest might make people think it resembles the Viridian Forest.
                                    And there are a few tile errors on the caves left side.

Here is my first go at a route map, the sides will be filled in with trees. Thank you!

http://imgur.com/a/AR6uu

Old August 17th, 2017 (4:34 AM).

Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Deokishisu View Post
                                      Probably stitched together mapshots from AMap with Paint to make one large image.
                                      Quite a work to do, if that's the case. I wonder if you could use a map in a game, if you doing it like an image.
                                      'Cause if you can't, there's almost no reason to draw maps this way (other than mapping for sport, for example).

Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Arlaxeon View Post
                                      Hi forums,

I'm here to have my cave map reviewed because im not quite confident about the second one and I'd like to hear what you guys think about it.
                                      In this cave you'll find the usual Zubat and Geodude but all the other Pokemon are Bug-types.

Termite Cave B1F
                                      Spoiler:

Notes
                                      You fight a Gym leader in this room. The entrance to B2F is blocked off until you beat him and he removes the roadblock.

Termite Cave B2F
                                      Spoiler:

Another question, do you think I should add darkness (Flash usable) to B2F?
                                      I liked the style of your caves. I like trees in caves, but that needs to be implemented in caves where that's supported.
                                      I don't believe that's the case for a termite cave, but that's up to your imagination and game ambientation.
                                      One thing though, you gotta have coherence, keep the nexus on your ideas. If you have trees, they'll need light, so it will be a cave where there's entrance to light. No Flash in this case.
                                      In the other hand, if the cave is dark, hardly trees would grow there. Specially big leafy trees, like the ones you used.
                                      I would drop the Flash (hate it anyway) and keep the lovely trees. =D
                                      I would also add something that would make the player want to come back later, like an entrance to some other cave room blocked by a Strength boulder. That could be what the gangs were looking for, because there's something interesting or awarding inside, I don't know.

Quote:

here is a forest

and a cave
                                      I like your maps, the center of the maps, where the player moves and passes by.
                                      I just felt it too geometrically made. For example, a forest is a living thing. It won't be all squared out where the player passes.
                                      Of course for games, people don't spread trees like in a real forest, that could stay in the way of the character/player (the poor baby, forest won't let you walk straight through it). But that doesn' mean if has to be all squared out.
                                      Same goes for the cave and the main map, in general.
                                      But the way you map is nice. Very Fire Redy. =P

Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Bowlstir View Post
                                      Here is my first go at a route map, the sides will be filled in with trees. Thank you!
                                      http://imgur.com/a/AR6uu
                                      I like what you did with the place, seems like a garden. Relaxing place.

Old 2 Weeks Ago (6:07 PM).

Just a quick little concept I came up with while pitching ideas with a team :)
                                        Old 2 Weeks Ago (5:31 AM).
                                        100tifiko

Nature: Brave
                                          @Chaflie nice map, but in my opinion, I don't like those red trees, that red pallete is too strong and doesn't fit with the rest of the environment.
                                          --------------------
                                          Spoiler:

This is a map that I did a couple of years ago. It was the initial route of my old project.
                                          Old 2 Weeks Ago (12:57 AM).

Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by ~Ruki! View Post
                                            @Chaflie nice map, but in my opinion, I don't like those red trees, that red pallete is too strong and doesn't fit with the rest of the environment.
                                            --------------------
                                            Spoiler:
                                            removed, cannot post links until i have more than 5 posts

This is a map that I did a couple of years ago. It was the initial route of my old project.
                                            No complaints! It's beautiful! Just curious if that tile set is public?

Also for my map, I was aiming for an "autumn" feel, could you go into more detail about how you think it doesn't fit the environment? Thank you for the feedback!
                                            Old 2 Weeks Ago (4:41 AM).
                                            Second-rate hack

Chaflie's Map:
                                              Spoiler:
                                              Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by Chaflie View Post

Just a quick little concept I came up with while pitching ideas with a team
                                              The mismatching of saturation on the nature tiles is a bit jarring. There's a bit too much blue in the grass, especially for an autumn map where it should be a more desaturated grey rather than a near indigo color. Overall the map itself isn't awful, its just the color scheme that needs a rework to make it feel cohesive. Pick two or three main colors, then 99% of the map should aim to be variations of those colors. Color cohesion is super important for a map's vibe.

As for your goal of having an “autumn” feel for the route, I think the best way to go about this is to vary your tree colors a little bit. Yellow, orange, and red combined will give you a more “autumn” vibe than red alone will.

Ruki's Map:
                                              Spoiler:
                                              Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by ~Ruki! View Post

Overall, a very nice map to look at. There's a few things that could be improved for gameplay, and the color palettes could be modified a bit to give it a more consistent feel.

For gameplay, take my comments with a grain of salt, because I don't know what the lore is for the route, and I don't know what is inside of the cave. Also being unable to see NPC/Item locations might be relevant in making these comments actually uninformed. Anyway, the map overall feels cramped. Not only because of the frequent 1-tile-wide areas you need to walk through, but also because, in addition to that, the trees overhang quite far into adjacent tiles. Combining that with such frequent forced tall grass is a recipe for frustrating overworld exploration. As a game designer, it is important to make sure that you make the player want to keep playing, and most people don't come to fan games for the frustration, they want to have fun exploring new areas and worlds and having new adventures. With that said, in the future just keep in mind that if your overworld is consistently interrupted by meaningless battles and tight movement, it can ultimately detract from a player's enjoyment of the game.

As for palettes, I mostly really appreciate the color scheme. Nice green grass that isn't too blue like many fan games have, and a consistent color choice for the flowers throughout the route. My only gripe is with the saturation on the brown ledge tiles, they feel too bright/desaturated compared to the rest of the palette. This is clearly a simple fix in Photoshop that, in my opinion, would provide solid improvements to the map as a whole.

Then, for nitpicking, there's a few questionable tile art choices in the map that don't really detract all too much, but I think they have room to be done better. The first is that, in my opinion, the cave entrances aren't quite dark enough. The solid brown color is not dark enough compared to the rest of the ledge to fit in with the same cartoonish vibe as the trees and grass, so feel a bit out of place artistically. Also with the ledges, their texture is a bit too compact with its roughness and variations compared to the other rocks on the map of the same color. Making sure they have matching, or at least very similar, art styles will make them match up better than just color alone will.

Charmiebee's Maps:
                                              Spoiler:
                                              Quote:
                                              beautiful map love the tileset

here is a forest

and a cave
                                              Make sure you're saving your maps as a .png rather than a .jpg, .jpeg, or .bmp. It may look fine on your computer, but for .bmp specifically, it'll often get converted to .jpg when you upload it to a site, breaking a lot of parts of the image. You don't want to lose image quality like that.

Map 1:
                                              I can't see this map well because of the aforementioned issue. I can see that a lot of your maps have very long and straight lines, which usually isn't good if you're going for a very "natural" vibe. Try to mix up the paths and water edges and treelines and stuff so that the world as a whole feels more "real".

Map 2:
                                              Again, you have the same issues with too frequent straight and long straight lines of tiles. It feels unnatural. You don't want everything to be too compact and difficult to traverse, but you want to avoid being too big and open as well. Keep in mind that the player's screen is pretty small compared to the size of the entire map, so make sure to spice things up constantly so there's always something interesting on-screen to look at.

Map 3:
                                              I figure you get my point by now with the straight lines issue. With this map specifically there's a few obvious tile errors, though, that I'd like to point out. In the part of the bottom-left's spiral wall where it connects to the left border of the map, you neglected to use a corner tile and instead used a purely horizontal wall tile. The border ledge to ground transition tiles for the center island are inconsistently implemented. Make sure that each edge of the rectangle has those dithered transition tiles on them. The exception might be in front of the stairs, if you choose.

This maps suffers from the opposite issue your first two did. There are places in the map where there are only 1 or 2 tiles of leeway to walk through. Keep in mind this can be frustratingly claustrophobic for the player to navigate, so try to give them more room. Widen your hallways and staircases to give a more comfortably playable vibe to your map.

Discussion on my map:
                                              Spoiler:
                                              Quote:
                                              Tilesets and tile edits with Photoshop, map concept testing in Sphere, tileset reworking and indexing with my own custom Python tool, final insertion into the game with AdvanceMap.

Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by Deokishisu View Post
                                              Photoshop, but yeah.

Quote:
                                              Quite a work to do, if that's the case. I wonder if you could use a map in a game, if you doing it like an image.
                                              'Cause if you can't, there's almost no reason to draw maps this way (other than mapping for sport, for example).
                                              I like making sure that all of my maps are seamless with one another. It makes the region feel much more real and cohesive in my opinion. Also lets me do stuff like GBA ports of ORAS flying around the region, or similar ideas like yours with the maps. It's not a ton of extra work, but the tradeoff feels worth it to me.
                                              Old 1 Week Ago (3:52 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by Ray Maverick.
                                              Ray Maverick Ray Maverick is offline
                                              • Crystal Tier

you can climb the walls and walk on top of them, and jump from wall top to wall top

you can also climb up and down 2 block vines

the right way to enter the temple is through the hole on the roof by climbing down that vine, because the regular entrance is blocked by rubble (inside)

*** Open Blue OOC ***

Quick Reply