• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Shinies in R/S/E

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
My first and only shiny that I encountered was a Carvanha, and I never caught it either due to critical hitting it :( I've never caught any, but never found any shinies after that.

Feebas

Unevolved
Years
tumblr_m8prhoLU851qd5giho1_500.jpg

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 10, 2013
My only shiny ever was a Machop in Emerald. So happy that day. Pea soup Machoke was so awesome.

Years
  • Seen Mar 3, 2013
Woah, you guys are very lucky. I've only got to catch and meet one shiny in emerald. It was a shiny geodude. I was so happy when I found it, that I almost drop my gba :3. Oh well Good times xD.

SoulSilver10112

George the Poliwag
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
I found a shiny lotad when I borrowed my little brother's game. I caught it, traded it to one of my games, and I still have it to this day.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
Excluding the shiny red Gyarados and hatching a shiny egg Pokemon in Generation II (which I shouldn't be mentioning in this section) I have seen and captured several shiny Pokemon:

Spinda- this happen as I ran out of Max Repels because I was trying to get a lot of ash in order to build furniture for my secret base and I just ran into a shiny one and captured it; I released the original colored one right after. This was in Pokemon Emerald

Zigzagoon- this happen in my Pokemon Sapphire version. I was strolling through Petalburg woods trying to hatch an egg and I ran into a shiny Zigzagoon by accident because I thought I had a Max Repel on.

Mawile- this happen in my Pokemon Ruby version. I was searching for a Mawile in general in Granite Cave and after searching for about 10 minutes, I found one

Tentacool- this also happen in my Pokemon Ruby version. I don't remember when, but when I was surfing to go to another town, I thought I had a Max Repel on, but I did not have one and then I just ran into a shiny Tentacool.

:t354:TG

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
I think my first shiny in pokemon emerald was a Shroomish, and I only had a Tailow left with peck so I ended up killing it with a crit, in that same playthrough I did come across a shiny Wingull and snapped him up quickly! However, I don't see shinies in the light most people do and I either release them or don't bother transferring them over to the next gen when I restart.

-Slick-

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 30, 2017
Actually the most shinies I ever got from a game were from Saphire. I found 3 shinies which were voltorb, swablu, and a zubat just like you. But I regret giving it a nickname, especially something so stupid. I called it "aKaTsUkI", and as you can see by the name I gave I was pretty young at the time. It does feel good to still have it with me after like 8 years as I migrated it so it can be with me on the dsi

DelightedTurk

Hipsterest Hypno in the land
Years
I remember finding my first ever shiny to this day, a red Duskull just to the west of the Safari Zone (I can't remember the Route name, apologies). I was so confused by it I called my friend over and he told me to catch it, and I obliged. I then traded it to my other friend who raised it into a majestic Dusclops. I then got it back, before someone deleted the save on me. I was never that upset before in my life at that stage, it had my shiny Dusclops and legit level 100 Swampert...

Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2023
So far playing R/S/E I never got any shinies. But got 3 in FR/LG:- Pidgey (Vermilion), Caterpie (Viridian Forest) and Machoke (Cerulean Cave).

Pharetra

zzzz
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 23, 2021
I got a shiny Dusclops and a shiny Slugma in Ruby (played that game waaaay too much xD), a shiny Zubat in Sapphire and a shiny Tentacool in Emerald. The Dusclops was my first shiny, not counting the Gyarados in GSC, so imagine what I did when I encountered it :p

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I have a shiny Koffing in Emerald, but I haven't bothered transferring it over yet. I encountered a shiny Sableye in the past, but I ran from it.

sab

Now too much of a life.
Years
After over 700 hours on emerald, and more than 400 on ruby, I can say that I have never seen a shiny, and probably never will...

~CreamyChoco~

Happy new year to everyone
Years
i was about 5 years old when i first got pokemon gold and i really loved it very much and i encountered a shiny pokemon after i received the egg from Mr.pokemon and i could not catch it @_@

Years
Please help!!!!
I have never seen a shiny pokemon before, and I have played every single game (including originals and remakes). To be honest, I did capture a shiny Gyarados in Silver, but that was part of the storyline so it doesn't count.
Could anyone tell me how this works? I mean, is it just pure luck or do you carry an item to be able to find them? Can someone do the calculation of the probability of finding one, and is there anything that can be done in order to increase your chances to find a shiny?

Extra questions: Is there any chance of having your starter pokemon as a shiny? And from which game on did shinys start to appear?

Last edited:

Deceit

Toxic.
Years
Oh god, I remember my first shiny I found in Ruby. I was underneath Cycling Road, and heading to Mauville City because I needed to stock up on Poke Balls (I had 1 Great Ball). On the way back, I encountered a blue Electrike. At first I was like "What? Aren't Electrike green?" Then I realized it was a shiny pokemon, as my friend was telling me. I suddenly got so excited but it quickly died down after I remembered I only had 1 great ball. I took a deep breath, and told myself to calm down, I can catch it. I sent out my marshtomp, and just used water gun, to weaken it slowly. I then switched to my HM slave ZigZag, and used Tackle on it, which got a critical, and almost made Electrike faint. I then thought, this is the perfect time to catch it. So, I threw the great ball, and got a few rocks, and I knew it was mine. But at the last rock, you can guess what happened. BAM. Electrike escaped.

At this point, I was so angry, I felt like throwing my gameboy out the window, but I barely managed to stop myself. But after that, I've had better luck with other shinies, such as a shiny linoone I found in my Emerald. What better than a shiny HM slave?

Years
  • Seen Jan 3, 2013
I patiently reset my game over a thousand of times waiting in front of kyogre and finally got one. It was one of the greatest feelings ever!!!

Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2022
I had a shiny spearow in leaf green and a shiny makuhita in ruby. The advanced generation games are the only games where I have encountered legitimate shinys (other than red gyrados in G/S and the remakes and a shiny dratini in W2) My dream was always to have a shiny Charizard. Having a black Charizard would be so badass.

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
Years
....I have told the story of my first shiny(which was obtained in Ruby) on PokeCommunity so many times before! (Don't worry, I won't tell you my heart-pounding adrenaline-pumping story AGAIN. For those that don't know, read on for the core details.) It was a green Marill, right outside Fortree. In the end, I migrated it all the way to Pokemon White, before I left White in a rental van...Marvin the green Marill was never seen again.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I found a shiny Numel in Sapphire and evolved it to a Camerupt. Shiny Camerupt has such a great color scheme, but it just couldn't hold its own in battle so now it's chilling in its own box.

Back