The PokéCommunity Forums Off-Topic Discussions Internet & Technology
Chit-Chat Developers, developers, developers, developers

Internet & Technology Here's where we nerd out about the world wide web and all forms of technology!

Closed Thread

Old July 10th, 2014 (5:11 AM).

Nature: Jolly
An upload speed on steroids.

Old July 10th, 2014 (11:39 AM).
You like dragons?

Nature: Hasty
Sometimes I wish I could have it all.

I'm intrigued over the potential of copper telephone lines these days - crazy how much better they can get. It would be most likely to be useful in many situations as it's extremely likely the average premises have copper telephone installations just right there - you can certainly go with anything that's fast, then use telephone lines just right before the premises.
Old July 10th, 2014 (1:22 PM).
Banned

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zach View Post

I envy anyone with good upload speed. It took me 13 hours to install Garry's Mod and by that time I'd already killed myself 5 times because of it.
    Old July 10th, 2014 (2:08 PM).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Braxien View Post
    I envy anyone with good upload speed. It took me 13 hours to install Garry's Mod and by that time I'd already killed myself 5 times because of it.
    That was my school's WiFi, being right under the access point I was connecting from.

I should also say that this is from the staff/faculty network as well, which I have access to, because well... I am technically am employee. The student/guest network is throttled only to 1Mb/s down and up.
    Old July 10th, 2014 (4:46 PM).
    Kicking against the earth!

Nature: Quiet
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zach View Post

Not as fast as the Moon though. /js

But am pretty jelly.

Interesting bit about the copper lines, I mean I would much prefer Fiber, but that would probably would talk a while.
    Old July 12th, 2014 (5:15 AM).

Sometimes Macs are known to be faster than Windows computers, and with my time on this MacBook, i've found this to be a decently fast computer for the most part. I hardly even remember my old Dell laptop because of it, sometimes that would go fast but others it would be slow as a snail.
    Old July 12th, 2014 (3:00 PM).

Right now, only Mac system I have is an iBook. Bought it many, many years ago, but haven't touched it much since purchasing, though, so it still looks decently new. Only thing I don't like is its speed, but I suppose it could be upgraded by adding more RAM. Someday, I'd love to get my hands on one of those new MacBooks. They might be a little too expensive for me, but would surely be able to manage by saving.
    Old July 13th, 2014 (3:46 AM).
    You like dragons?

I've found Macs and PCs to perform the same given the exact same software. Makes sense, too, seeing as they practically share a platform these days.
    Old July 14th, 2014 (1:28 AM).

I will say that I do like the idea of how Macs do use Intel-based processors nowadays, especially since it means a person can set up a dual-boot between Windows and OS X.
    Old July 14th, 2014 (3:36 AM).
    I like kitties

Nature: Lax
    Okay, question. By the end of the year, I'm gonna update my phones. I have a simple Xperia Mini for daily stuff, and a front for my slightly bigger Honor 3C, which is quite expensive, and I don't want to take out a lot. The mini is becoming too slow, needing updates every day or so, and its running on ICS. The Honor 3C is gonna eventually take its place like I said, as an everday phone. Definitely going Sony for the "show" phone, but I'm wondering if I should jump on a Z1 compact(by years end its gonna be OOOOOOOOOOLD) or wait for the Z3C to be announced and wait for a price drop? Z1C is like 300 euros right now, by then 250. Snapdragon 800, Adreno 330 and 2gigs in 2015 isn't going to be bad at all, but still its dated. And sure hypothetically, we don't know if the Z3C is even gonna happen. But I want sony. And a small screen, with great specs.(At least compared to the 3C which is using MediaTek, so its a crapshoot.)

#328 Trapinch
    Supporter Collab January 2015
    Doctor Who Fan Club

Old July 15th, 2014 (12:06 AM).
    [color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]

guys my phone is upsetting me

it knows where I'm going to work today even though I haven't told it anything of the sort and it's telling me how long it'll take to drive there

HOW DOES IT KNOW WHERE I'M GOING ):
      s͎̭̚ ̪ͭͩy͔͚̰̻̗̩̺ͣ́ͨ̌͡ ̩̳̙̖̖̺͡m̷̱̘͎̝̘̣͒͌͒̚ ͇͖̔̐̔b̝̪͚̞̦ͬ ̢͔̱̟̞̝͙̮͌̅̈̓̿̿i͐̈̃͊ͯ̎҉̟̠͓ ͕̥̣̪̠̃͑͞ỏ̵͕̠̱̬̬̞͛̋ ̨͈̻̱̟̱͓̪n͒̒͂͊̀ ̻̰̰̜̅̃͒̂͞tͭ̍̈́ ͙͇̘͕͍̜̖ͫ̌̊̿ͫ̂̀:̵̾͒̔͂ ̟͉̜̽͒͌͜p͎͇͎̦̺̙͒͆͋́ͅ ̨̠̠̘͚͖̺ͫ͛̎̉a̲͍̫͖͗̄ ͓͖͍̯̤̼͙̿̆̂̂̄r̬̟̮͖̥̼̆̓͑̃̾ͬ̉͟ͅ ̬̼̗͊͛a̛̯̮ ̮̬͍̙̮̤́ͪŝ͊ͬ̒̎̃ ̧̝̮͎͙͆̓ì͈̹̻̱̾͝ ̘͉͕̭̊ͤ̉̓tͩͯ̉̐ͨͬ̚͏̻̺̖̮ ̞̘͂̋̋ͯ͑ͦ͗e̞͔̎̇ͫ͊͗
      Old July 15th, 2014 (1:25 AM).

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Axton View Post

it knows where I'm going to work today even though I haven't told it anything of the sort and it's telling me how long it'll take to drive there

Sadly, that's just the mobile world these days. If you searched for anything relevant, no matter how vague it was, you'd still probably get results on the subject, and they were more than likely catered to you as well. The only thing I can suggest is to perhaps turn location services off on your phone (either as a whole or just on the app that gave you the information, even if it was your web browser) and then see if you still get results. I'd also consider cleaning your cookies and web history as well just to be on the safe side.
      Old July 15th, 2014 (12:47 PM).
      Fire Emblem....HEROES

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Axton View Post

From that brief desciption it sounds like Google Now is turn on and you might have unknowingly set your work location :P You can turn it off in Google settings app.
      Old July 16th, 2014 (3:43 AM).

I have my work location set in Google Now, and I never get notifications on stuff related to it :p

What I do get cards for in Google Now is a local theater that maybe I went to once and that was it.
      Old July 16th, 2014 (9:48 AM).
      You like dragons?

When something in Windows Phone goes really wrong, it can go hilariously wrong with strange errors that'd belong on desktop PCs. (This is what happens when a combination of Developer Preview + BitLocker + updating to Lumia Cyan causes to the phone - the TPM goes bonkers.)
      Old July 16th, 2014 (9:51 PM).
      Hollow.

Nature: Adamant
      So I've got a quick question about iTunes, and hopefully someone can help me with this. For some odd reason, when I try to update an album by switching it to a compilation, it won't save when I confirm it. Does anyone know why this might be happening? Or rather, if someone has had this issue before, what did you do to fix it?
      Old July 17th, 2014 (2:25 AM).
      I like kitties

So, can someone tell me why phone makers keep jipping their smaller offering, and not taking the route Sony did with the Z1C? Its why I mentioned it above, and why I'm not going with anything else. Like look at the newly announced G3 Beat from LG:
      http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g3_beat_with_5_hd_display_laser_af_camera_goes_official-news-9054.php
      For a mid-rangers, sure 1.2GHz at 1gb sounds excellent, but you just know they're gonna charge about 300 euros for it, which is ludicrous with those specs. The reason why I say that is cause around 300 I can get either a Nexus 5, a Z1 Compact, Moto X(eh not too good a comparison), or an S4 active! And that's just from what I gave a quick glance at, not the whole list of phones in that price range. If they're gonna sell it at around 300-400 euros(which they will obviously) at least give us 2 gigs of ram and 1.5ghz.
      If you're wondering why I have a problem, its cause after sony, LG's design philosophy for the G3 is my favorite.

#328 Trapinch
      Doctor Who Fan Club

Old July 17th, 2014 (2:26 AM).
      I like kitties

So, can someone tell me why phone makers keep jipping their smaller offering, and not taking the route Sony did with the Z1C? Its why I mentioned it above, and why I'm not going with anything else. Like look at the newly announced G3 Beat from LG:
      http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g3_beat_with_5_hd_display_laser_af_camera_goes_official-news-9054.php
      For a mid-rangers, sure 1.2GHz at 1gb sounds excellent, but you just know they're gonna charge about 300 euros for it, which is ludicrous with those specs. The reason why I say that is cause around 300 I can get either a Nexus 5, a Z1 Compact, Moto X(eh not too good a comparison), or an S4 active! And that's just from what I gave a quick glance at, not the whole list of phones in that price range. If they're gonna sell it at around 300-400 euros(which they will obviously) at least give us 2 gigs of ram and 1.5ghz.
      If you're wondering why I have a problem, its cause after sony, LG's design philosophy for the G3 is my favorite, and I would love to own one. Just not with those specs, and the expected price markup.

#328 Trapinch
      Doctor Who Fan Club

Old July 17th, 2014 (5:52 AM).

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
      When something in Windows Phone goes really wrong, it can go hilariously wrong with strange errors that'd belong on desktop PCs. (This is what happens when a combination of Developer Preview + BitLocker + updating to Lumia Cyan causes to the phone - the TPM goes bonkers.)
      Wow, hopefully nothing too bad happened to that phone there. I guess I should be fortunate that the Developer Preview of Windows Phone 8.1 works fine on my Lumia 520 there.
      Old July 19th, 2014 (1:15 AM).
      Kicking against the earth!

Quote:
      Originally Posted by elheroeoscuro View Post
      So I've got a quick question about iTunes, and hopefully someone can help me with this. For some odd reason, when I try to update an album by switching it to a compilation, it won't save when I confirm it. Does anyone know why this might be happening? Or rather, if someone has had this issue before, what did you do to fix it?
      I wish I could help, but I try to stay away from iTunes. xD Apple support or googling not working? :P

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Evil Stud Muffin View Post
      If you're wondering why I have a problem, its cause after sony, LG's design philosophy for the G3 is my favorite.
      Because money, its cheaper for them to jip. And if people buy low end phones, they usually don't care about the specs. I do wish more people went the Sony/Motorola route, I mean yes the G/E is kinda gimped from the Moto X (lack of some meters thus features, but they perform quite well for a low end phone).
      Old July 19th, 2014 (1:59 AM).
      I like kitties

Money is a good answer, but its ridiculous. At this point the R&D of new CPUs and innards of cell phones has reached a sort of peak this last year, with no real breakthroughs in new technology(except maybe some power saving). At the rate that it was created and now stabilized, you should easily be able to buy a phone in the 300 euro price bracket and get something with a Snapdragon 800 and at the least 1.5Ghz of power. The price disparity between the various power levels is ridiculous even by PC standards.
      Low end(maybe 1 gig of ram, some 1.2GHz of power, Dual Core maybe):90-150 Euros
      then it jumps to
      Mid end(Definitely a gig, maybe 1.5, again 1.2GHz, Most Dual Core, rarely a Quad Core):200-300 Euros
      And anything High-End with a Snapdragon 800, anywhere around 1.5-2.5GHz, Quad Core/Octa Core and an excellent snapper goes from 500 to 700.

In the 400-500 price range there are some phones, but most are either last year models or insanely marked up phones(I'm looking at you HTC. 450 for the Desire 610?)
      If they could shorten the gaps, and hell maybe even lower the prices it would be great. One thing I'm definitely going to be annoyed about is if Android phones don't lose their price bloat when MS' patent extortion stops, as the money lost to paying royalties translates to profit, thus a chance to lower prices. Will it happen? Of course not, ♥♥♥♥ing greed runs everything! /Rant

#328 Trapinch
      Doctor Who Fan Club

Old July 19th, 2014 (3:53 AM).

Nature: Brave
      Well I ended up paying only $100 for an LG G2. Although it was supposed to be around $700 at the time.

My mother's two-year contract with AT&T expired, and since she had no intention of switching services, she renewed it with the G2 as a by-product.

The G2's specs are neck-to-neck even with the S5 even though it's a few quarters behind.
      Old July 19th, 2014 (3:57 AM).
      I like kitties

Contract bought phones are bull, you usually end up paying a lot more for the services you don't use then by getting the phone at full price.

#328 Trapinch
      Doctor Who Fan Club

Old July 19th, 2014 (4:08 AM).

Nature: Brave
      My mother continued to use her original phone and just renewed her contract. The G2 has nothing to do with AT&T anymore. We haven't been charged for that phone since the day we bought it.
      Old July 19th, 2014 (5:49 AM).
      You like dragons?

...I just realized I still haven't bought any phones yet.
      Closed Thread

Quick Reply