Competitive Pokémon The forum designed for all of your competitive Pokémon battling needs! Here you can battle, discuss, participate in events, receive help on your team, and much more!

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old June 22nd, 2017 (4:37 PM).
Nyeh?
  • Gold Tier

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevan90 View Post
Thank you for the reply!I think A-Muk or Mimikyu are better with Marowak as trick roomers,comfey doesn't really draw enough attention and the risk of getting double targeted is high.
My EVs spread tend to be very simple,and I noticed yours seem very specific.Would you give me a quick rundown of why you chose this spreads,and how can I understand how to best invest EVs?I feel pretty green honestly
I got those EV spreads from Trainer Tower. Each EV spread is meant to let the Pokemon in question survive specific attacks.

The Assault Vest Kartana can take Garchomp's Tectonic Rage and Golduck's Hydro Vortex in rain. A prominent VGC player, Ray Rizzo, came up with that particular Kartana set. The Scope Lens Kartana is meant to take Tapu Koko's Thunderbolt under Electric Terrain from full health. None of the aforementioned Pokemon are allowed in Tiny Tourney, but I guess the extra investment can help against other attacks thrown around.

I made a mistake with the Comfey set; it's meant to be Bold and the listed EV spread lets it take Adamant Tapu Bulu's Wood Hammer under Grassy Terrain from full health. However, Bulu isn't allowed and the heavy physically defensive investment can let Comfey take physical attacks more easily that way.

Marowak's EV spread would normally let it avoid the OHKO from Tapu Lele's Psychic in Psychic Terrain, but since Lele isn't allowed, you can get away with max HP/max Attack instead.

Mimikyu's heavy physically defensive investment would let it take Gyarados' Hydro Vortex, but since it isn't allowed, you can get away with max HP/max Attack too, but that spread can help compensate for its physical frailty to an extent.

Muk's EV spread lets it live a max-powered Eruption from Torkoal at full health under the sun and make its Heat Wave a 3HKO with Figy Berry recovery taken into account. Also, it can't learn Trick Room. The reason why I suggested Porygon2 or Mimikyu alongside Comfey is to have a backup Trick Room attacker in case one of them is in an unfavorable matchup or, in the possibility you bring both in the same battle, have a backup setter in case one goes down.

Relevant Advertising!

Old June 23rd, 2017 (3:36 AM).

I didn't know about that site,it seems great!is there a software or a website other than damage calc on showdown that would let me know what will my mons survive based on their stats and spread?
    Old July 1st, 2017 (6:23 AM).

Hi Everyone! I've just transferred my old team from Y to Moon which is:

Heatran w/ Firium Z, Mamoswine w/ Choice Scarf, Hitmontop w/ Sitrus Berry, Aegislash w/ Leftovers, Lapras w/ Assault Vest, Kangaskhan w/ Mega Stone.

I have noticed that Latios is getting Quiet a lot of use so I decide it might be a good option in my team considering I didn't realise quiet how many weakness to fighting I had, so am contemplating putting it in with a Life Orb instead of my Mamoswine. However this causes a problem for me as I will now not have a Pokemon with earthquake or rock slide and will be vulnerable to Dragon types. Latios is almost a must in my team at this stage as I am struggling badly against Psychic Terrain which Latios will get a boost from. Kangaskhan is also a Pokemon I am willing to drop as it does not seem to have the same competitive presence but I will need another Pokemon that can learn fake out to sub for it

Also am thinking of dropping Aegislash for a Togekiss due to the same fact of I have to many fighting weaknesses and with it I may be able to drop Kangaskhan because it has Follow me
      Old July 1st, 2017 (7:09 AM).
      Nyeh?
      • Gold Tier

Quote:
      Originally Posted by firetornadopaddy View Post
      Hi Everyone! I've just transferred my old team from Y to Moon which is:

Heatran w/ Firium Z, Mamoswine w/ Choice Scarf, Hitmontop w/ Sitrus Berry, Aegislash w/ Leftovers, Lapras w/ Assault Vest, Kangaskhan w/ Mega Stone.

I have noticed that Latios is getting Quiet a lot of use so I decide it might be a good option in my team considering I didn't realise quiet how many weakness to fighting I had, so am contemplating putting it in with a Life Orb instead of my Mamoswine. However this causes a problem for me as I will now not have a Pokemon with earthquake or rock slide and will be vulnerable to Dragon types. Latios is almost a must in my team at this stage as I am struggling badly against Psychic Terrain which Latios will get a boost from. Kangaskhan is also a Pokemon I am willing to drop as it does not seem to have the same competitive presence but I will need another Pokemon that can learn fake out to sub for it

Also am thinking of dropping Aegislash for a Togekiss due to the same fact of I have to many fighting weaknesses and with it I may be able to drop Kangaskhan because it has Follow me
      We need to see your team's moves. Fliers and Levitators like Latios don't benefit from terrains at all. Even then, Latios is a bad Tapu Lele (the de facto Psychic Terrain setter) check, let alone counter, because of its weakness to Moonblast.

Old July 1st, 2017 (7:21 AM).

Ok I understand I'm new and must have misread what it does, so then would tapu lele be a Pokemon part of my team?

Mamoswine: Rock Slide, Earthquake, Icicle Crash, Ice Shard
        Kangaskhan: Fake out, Sucker Punch, Power Up Punch, Protect
        Hitmontop: Wide Guard, Quick Guard, Protect, Close Combat
        Lapras: Ancient Power, Thunderbolt, Hydro Pump, Freeze-Dry
        Aegislash: Swords Dance, Substitute, Shadow Sneak, Kings Shield
        Heatran: Heat Wave, Earth Power, Flash Cannon, Substitute
        Potential Togekiss: Follow me, Roost, Dazzling Gleam, -Not Sure

If you need the EVs and Nature I can give you them
        Old July 1st, 2017 (7:34 AM).
        Nyeh?
        • Gold Tier

Quote:
        Ok I understand I'm new and must have misread what it does, so then would tapu lele be a Pokemon part of my team?

Mamoswine: Rock Slide, Earthquake, Icicle Crash, Ice Shard
        Kangaskhan: Fake out, Sucker Punch, Power Up Punch, Protect
        Hitmontop: Wide Guard, Quick Guard, Protect, Close Combat
        Lapras: Ancient Power, Thunderbolt, Hydro Pump, Freeze-Dry
        Aegislash: Swords Dance, Substitute, Shadow Sneak, Kings Shield
        Heatran: Heat Wave, Earth Power, Flash Cannon, Substitute
        Potential Togekiss: Follow me, Roost, Dazzling Gleam, -Not Sure

If you need the EVs and Nature I can give you them
        Natures and EVs are necessary too, as well as the specific format this team is for.

Old July 1st, 2017 (7:53 AM).

The team is just for battle spot doubles

Mamoswine: 252 Speed, 252 Atk, 4 Hp. Nature: Jolly
          Hitmontop: 252 Speed, 252 Def, 4 Hp. Nature: Jolly
          Kangaskhan: 252 Speed, 252 Atk, 4 Hp. Nature: Jolly
          Lapras: Hp 252, SpD 253, 4 SpA. Nature: Calm
          Aegislash: 252 Def, 252 SpD, 4 Atk. Nature: Sassy
          Heatran: 252 SpA, 252 Speed, 4 Def. Nature: Naive
          Old July 1st, 2017 (1:55 PM). Edited July 1st, 2017 by PlatinumDude.
          Nyeh?
          • Gold Tier

Quote:
          The team is just for battle spot doubles

Mamoswine: 252 Speed, 252 Atk, 4 Hp. Nature: Jolly
          Hitmontop: 252 Speed, 252 Def, 4 Hp. Nature: Jolly
          Kangaskhan: 252 Speed, 252 Atk, 4 Hp. Nature: Jolly
          Lapras: Hp 252, SpD 253, 4 SpA. Nature: Calm
          Aegislash: 252 Def, 252 SpD, 4 Atk. Nature: Sassy
          Heatran: 252 SpA, 252 Speed, 4 Def. Nature: Naive
          Mamoswine doesn't need Rock Slide since its STABs have good coverage on their own:
          -Icicle Crash/Icicle Spear
          -Earthquake
          -Ice Shard
          -Protect
          Nature: Jolly/Adamant
          EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
          Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash
          Ability: Thick Fat

Lapras' defensive typing is terrible. Better bulky Water Pokemon to turn to are Araquanid or Gastrodon, the former of which can provide Wide Guard support and fire off powerful Liquidations, and the latter which can act as a handy counter to opposing Water Pokemon with Storm Drain:

Araquanid:
          -Liquidation
          -Lunge/Leech Life/Toxic
          -Wide Guard
          -Protect
          Nature: Adamant/Brave
          EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef
          Item: Waterium Z/Mystic Water/Splash Plate
          Ability: Water Bubble

Gastrodon:
          -Scald
          -Toxic
          -Ice Beam/Sludge Bomb/Clear Smog/Earth Power/Recover
          -Protect/Recover
          Nature: Sassy
          EVs: 204 HP/116 Def/188 SDef
          Item: Sitrus Berry/Aguav Berry
          Ability: Storm Drain

Kangaskhan currently lacks a powerful attack in general. Sucker Punch is unreliable as it relies on the opponent about to use an offensive move; that move needs good prediction:
          -Fake Out
          -Return/Double-Edge
          -Power-up Punch/Low Kick
          -Sucker Punch
          Nature: Jolly/Adamant
          EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
          Item: Kangaskhanite
          Ability: Scrappy

Aegislash needs stronger STAB moves to function; just having Shadow Sneak alone isn't going to cut it. You're also EVing it the wrong way, as when Aegislash switches forms, it doesn't carry over its EVs from its defenses to its offenses:
          -Shadow Ball
          -Flash Cannon/Sacred Sword
          -Wide Guard/Substitute
          -King's Shield
          Nature: Quiet
          EVs: 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 SDef
          Item: Leftovers/Weakness Policy

or
          -Flash Cannon
          -Shadow Ball
          -Sacred Sword/Shadow Sneak
          -King's Shield
          EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 SAtk
          Item: Life Orb/Spooky Plate/Spell Tag/Weakness Policy/Ghostium Z

While Heatran can go fast in doubles, its Speed isn't good enough for that to happen unless you're providing Tailwind support. A Naive nature is pointless when Heatran isn't using physical attacks:
          -Heat Wave
          -Flash Cannon
          -Earth Power/Substitute
          -Protect
          Nature: Modest
          EVs: 180 HP/252 SAtk/76 Spe
          Item: Shuca Berry/Leftovers

Hitmontop is better relegated to a bulky support role since any offensive role it can do its outclassed by other Fighting Pokemon like Breloom:
          -Fake Out
          -Close Combat
          -Wide Guard
          -Helping Hand/Quick Guard/Feint
          Nature: Adamant
          EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
          Item: Sitrus Berry/Lum Berry
          Ability: Intimidate

However, Arcanine is capable of compressing Heatran's and Hitmontop's roles as a bulky Fire Pokemon that provides Intimidate support:
          -Flamethrower
          -Snarl
          -Will-o-Wisp
          -Protect
          Nature: Timid
          EVs: 148 HP/4 Def/164 SAtk/28 SDef/164 Spe
          Item: Sitrus Berry

or
          -Flare Blitz
          -Wild Charge
          -Crunch/Extreme Speed/Snarl
          -Protect
          Nature: Adamant/Jolly
          EV: 28 HP/180 Atk/4 Def/44 SDef/252 Spe
          Item: Life Orb/Mago Berry

Old July 1st, 2017 (2:09 PM).

Ok thanks for the help
            Old July 5th, 2017 (7:07 AM).

Hey, looking to get back into competitive pokemon, but I have no idea what competitive 7th Gen is like. I am thinking to start with an offensive core of Greninja/MegaZard X but do not know where to go from there ? Any help is massively appreciated.
              RANDOM POKEMON CHALLENGE- POKEMON SILVER- 5/16
              POKEMON MONOSIZE CHALLENGE- XL- POKEMON X-0/8
              THE 802 Challenge- Pokemon Leafgreen-4/8
              POKEMON DARWIN CHALLENGE-Plants & Fungi- Platinum-1/8

COMPLETED CHALLENGES
              RANDOM POKEMON CHALLENGE-POKEMON RED
              DATE OF BIRTH CHALLENGE-POKEMON LEAF GREEN
              TRAINER PERSONALITY EXAM CHALLENGE-POKEMON FIRERED- The Green Otter
              LUCKLOCKE CHALLENGE- POKEMON FIRERED
              POKEMON MONOSIZE CHALLENGE- XL- POKEMON FIRERED
              Old July 8th, 2017 (2:28 PM).
              • Super Moderator
              • Battle Server Staff
              • Crystal Tier
              • EOEvent Organizer
              • PokéCommunity Daily

Quote:
              Originally Posted by KimbosUnova View Post
              Hey, looking to get back into competitive pokemon, but I have no idea what competitive 7th Gen is like. I am thinking to start with an offensive core of Greninja/MegaZard X but do not know where to go from there ? Any help is massively appreciated.
              I recommend Spikes Greninja to wear down both Charizard's and its own checks. Spikes / Ice Beam or Hydro Pump / Gunk Shot / Hidden Power Fire would be fine. Hydro Pump might be preferred to threaten Heatran and Tyranitar, which check Charizard to an extent. Spikes / Gunk Shot / Low Kick / Ice Beam with a physical EV spread works too. Ash-Greninja is also an option.

After that I'd consider an offensive check for Toxapex, assuming this is meant to be an offensive team. Garchomp, Zapdos, Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, Latios, Zygarde, Hoopa-U, and Groundium Z Dugtrio are some options. All of them have pretty solid offensive synergy with the other two. Garchomp sets Stealth Rock, Electric-types and Zygarde appreciate Charizard for threatening Grass-types, Charizard pressures Magearna and Celesteela for Tapu Lele and Latios, Tapu Lele protects Charizard from priority with Psychic Terrain, Greninja threatens Clefable for Garchomp and Hoopa-U, Dugtrio traps Toxapex and Heatran for Charizard, etc. Zapdos has nice defensive synergy with Charizard by being able to switch into Landorus-T if you're careful about Stone Edge. It can use Defog too, but you need to drop HP Ice for that. Not to mention it can tank Scalds from Toxapex. Alternatively you could condense this role with Greninja and put Extrasensory over Spikes.

After that, add a Defog or Rapid Spin user to remove Stealth Rock for Charizard. Mew might be the most reliable at this. Excadrill, Tapu Fini, Zapdos, Lati twins, and Starmie are alternatives. Excadrill and Starmie can avoid removing your own Spikes at the cost of being less reliable.

Then add a good Landorus-T switch-in like Tangrowth, Rotom-W, or Celesteela.

Lastly, a good Choice Scarf user (click) for Volcarona, Mega Charizard X, etc. Check for any remaining weaknesses. Don't forget Stealth Rock. Garchomp and Excadrill can set it.

PC League // Battle Server
              credit to Fairy for the Suicune sprite
              Old July 9th, 2017 (7:19 AM).

I've created a wicked core of Lopunny, Aegislash, and Cresselia, who compliment each other nicely (If I see a fighting type as Lopunny, I switch to Aegislash, if I see a ground type as Aegislash, I switch to Cresselia for levitate, If I see a dark type, I switch to Lopunny.) But I'm having trouble deciding what to use for one of the slots. I need a SP.D wall who can check or counter Talonflame, any ideas? Also the stats on the Lopunny, Cresselia, and Aegislash are as shown

Cupcake (Lopunny) @ Lopunnite
                Fake out, HJK, Ice punch, Return
                Jolly, 252 Spe, 252 Atk, 4 SP.D

Cresselia @ Leftovers
                Psychic, Moonblast, Moonlight, Calm mind
                Bold, 252 Def, 252 HP, 4 SP.D

Aegislash @ Focus sash
                Kings shield, Swords dance, Shadow sneak, Iron head
                Adamant 252 Atk, 252 HP, 4 Def
                Old July 9th, 2017 (9:30 AM).

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by wolf View Post
                  I recommend Spikes Greninja to wear down both Charizard's and its own checks. Spikes / Ice Beam or Hydro Pump / Gunk Shot / Hidden Power Fire would be fine. Hydro Pump might be preferred to threaten Heatran and Tyranitar, which check Charizard to an extent. Spikes / Gunk Shot / Low Kick / Ice Beam with a physical EV spread works too. Ash-Greninja is also an option.

After that I'd consider an offensive check for Toxapex, assuming this is meant to be an offensive team. Garchomp, Zapdos, Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, Latios, Zygarde, Hoopa-U, and Groundium Z Dugtrio are some options. All of them have pretty solid offensive synergy with the other two. Garchomp sets Stealth Rock, Electric-types and Zygarde appreciate Charizard for threatening Grass-types, Charizard pressures Magearna and Celesteela for Tapu Lele and Latios, Tapu Lele protects Charizard from priority with Psychic Terrain, Greninja threatens Clefable for Garchomp and Hoopa-U, Dugtrio traps Toxapex and Heatran for Charizard, etc. Zapdos has nice defensive synergy with Charizard by being able to switch into Landorus-T if you're careful about Stone Edge. It can use Defog too, but you need to drop HP Ice for that. Not to mention it can tank Scalds from Toxapex. Alternatively you could condense this role with Greninja and put Extrasensory over Spikes.

After that, add a Defog or Rapid Spin user to remove Stealth Rock for Charizard. Mew might be the most reliable at this. Excadrill, Tapu Fini, Zapdos, Lati twins, and Starmie are alternatives. Excadrill and Starmie can avoid removing your own Spikes at the cost of being less reliable.

Then add a good Landorus-T switch-in like Tangrowth, Rotom-W, or Celesteela.

Lastly, a good Choice Scarf user (click) for Volcarona, Mega Charizard X, etc. Check for any remaining weaknesses. Don't forget Stealth Rock. Garchomp and Excadrill can set it.
                  Followed your advice, came up with the below
                  Spoiler:
                  Greninja @ Life Orb
                  Ability: Protean
                  EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
                  Hasty Nature
                  - Hydro Pump
                  - Spikes
                  - Hidden Power [Fire]
                  - Gunk Shot

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
                  Ability: Blaze
                  EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
                  Adamant Nature
                  - Dragon Dance
                  - Earthquake
                  - Flare Blitz
                  - Roost

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
                  Ability: Psychic Surge
                  EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
                  Modest Nature
                  IVs: 0 Atk
                  - Thunderbolt
                  - Hidden Power [Fire]
                  - Psychic
                  - Moonblast

Mew @ Leftovers
                  Ability: Synchronize
                  EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
                  Careful Nature
                  - Defog
                  - Stealth Rock
                  - Will-O-Wisp
                  - U-turn

Celesteela @ Leftovers
                  Ability: Beast Boost
                  EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
                  Bold Nature
                  - Leech Seed
                  - Protect
                  - Hidden Power [Ice]
                  - Flamethrower

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
                  Ability: Unnerve
                  Jolly Nature
                  - Crunch
                  - Pursuit
                  - Stone Edge
                  - Superpower

Can't see an obvious weakness however still happy to take all feedback.

COMPLETED CHALLENGES
                  Old July 9th, 2017 (11:24 AM). Edited July 9th, 2017 by PlatinumDude.
                  Nyeh?
                  • Gold Tier

Quote:
                  Spoiler:
                  Greninja @ Life Orb
                  Hasty Nature
                  - Hydro Pump
                  - Spikes
                  - Hidden Power [Fire]
                  - Gunk Shot

Adamant Nature
                  - Dragon Dance
                  - Earthquake
                  - Flare Blitz
                  - Roost

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
                  Modest Nature
                  - Thunderbolt
                  - Hidden Power [Fire]
                  - Psychic
                  - Moonblast

Mew @ Leftovers
                  Careful Nature
                  - Defog
                  - Stealth Rock
                  - Will-O-Wisp
                  - U-turn

Celesteela @ Leftovers
                  Bold Nature
                  - Leech Seed
                  - Protect
                  - Hidden Power [Ice]
                  - Flamethrower

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
                  Jolly Nature
                  - Crunch
                  - Pursuit
                  - Stone Edge
                  - Superpower

Lele's Speed is actually decent so you can get away with max Speed instead of max HP. Sure, it's got decent special bulk, but it's rather physically frail, though its typing makes up for it somewhat.

Fire/Dragon has excellent coverage together, so Charizard X should use both Flare Blitz and Dragon Claw. Greninja can already handle Heatran. If you really want to keep Earthquake though, use it over Roost.

I don't see the point of HP Ice on Celesteela other than to hit Garchomp and Therian Landorus, neither of which like to get worn down by Leech Seed. Celesteela is also the best user of Heavy Slam, as it's the heaviest user of the move:
                  -Heavy Slam
                  -Flamethrower
                  -Leech Seed
                  -Protect
                  EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
                  Item: Leftovers

Even though sandstorm is detrimental to most of the team, Sand Stream is still the better ability for Tyranitar so it can come in on Charizard Y more easily by disrupting and weakening its Solar Beam or taking a pittance from its Fire STAB thanks to the Special Defense buff that sandstorm gives to Rock Pokemon.

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by CinnamonPichu View Post
                  I've created a wicked core of Lopunny, Aegislash, and Cresselia, who compliment each other nicely (If I see a fighting type as Lopunny, I switch to Aegislash, if I see a ground type as Aegislash, I switch to Cresselia for levitate, If I see a dark type, I switch to Lopunny.) But I'm having trouble deciding what to use for one of the slots. I need a SP.D wall who can check or counter Talonflame, any ideas? Also the stats on the Lopunny, Cresselia, and Aegislash are as shown

Cupcake (Lopunny) @ Lopunnite
                  Fake out, HJK, Ice punch, Return
                  Jolly, 252 Spe, 252 Atk, 4 SP.D

Cresselia @ Leftovers
                  Psychic, Moonblast, Moonlight, Calm mind
                  Bold, 252 Def, 252 HP, 4 SP.D

Aegislash @ Focus sash
                  Kings shield, Swords dance, Shadow sneak, Iron head
                  Adamant 252 Atk, 252 HP, 4 Def
                  I'll assume this is for Battle Spot.

Lopunny's pre-Mega ability should be Limber so it can come in on predicted Thunder Waves/Stun Spores/Glares safely before it Mega Evolves.

Swords Dance + King's Shield isn't the best strategy for Aegislash because it's rather predictable. It's best played with all-out attacking or a Swords Dance set without King's Shield. It can also use a mean SubToxic set to stall out the walls its offensive sets struggle to break through:
                  -Shadow Ball
                  -Shadow Sneak
                  -King's Shield
                  Item: Ghostium Z/Weakness Policy/Spell Tag/Spooky Plate/Leftovers

or
                  -Substitute
                  -Toxic
                  -King's Shield
                  -Shadow Ball
                  EVs: 204 HP/164 SAtk/140 Spe

or
                  -Swords Dance
                  -Shadow Claw/Iron Head
                  -Shadow Sneak
                  -Sacred Sword
                  Item: Life Orb/Weakness Policy/Leftovers/Ghostium Z

Tyranitar is one of the best Talonflame counters out there, though you have to be wary of the weaknesses it shares with Lopunny and Aegislash:
                  -Stealth Rock/Pursuit
                  -Rock Tomb/Stone Edge
                  -Ice Punch
                  -Superpower/Crunch/Earthquake
                  EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
                  Item: Lum Berry/Assault Vest/Chople Berry
                  Ability: Sand Stream

or
                  -Rock Slide/Rock Tomb
                  -Pursuit
                  -Foul Play
                  -Thunder Wave/Crunch/Stealth Rock
                  Nature: Careful
                  EVs: 252 HP/44 Atk/4 Def/204 SDef/4 Spe
                  Item: Lum Berry

Old July 10th, 2017 (4:58 PM).
                  • Super Moderator
                  • Battle Server Staff
                  • Crystal Tier
                  • EOEvent Organizer
                  • PokéCommunity Daily

Quote:
                  Spoiler:
                  Greninja @ Life Orb
                  Hasty Nature
                  - Hydro Pump
                  - Spikes
                  - Hidden Power [Fire]
                  - Gunk Shot

Adamant Nature
                  - Dragon Dance
                  - Earthquake
                  - Flare Blitz
                  - Roost

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
                  Modest Nature
                  - Thunderbolt
                  - Hidden Power [Fire]
                  - Psychic
                  - Moonblast

Mew @ Leftovers
                  Careful Nature
                  - Defog
                  - Stealth Rock
                  - Will-O-Wisp
                  - U-turn

Celesteela @ Leftovers
                  Bold Nature
                  - Leech Seed
                  - Protect
                  - Hidden Power [Ice]
                  - Flamethrower

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
                  Jolly Nature
                  - Crunch
                  - Pursuit
                  - Stone Edge
                  - Superpower

I agree with PlatinumDude's changes, but physically defensive Celesteela might be worth keeping. Specially defensive Celesteela is generally better, but this team already has Mew for switching into Tapu Lele's Psychic so you can probably afford to run a physically defensive spread. Test both of them.

Adamant Charizard might be OK, but if you find yourself getting revenge killed by Scarf Tapu Lele a lot, switch to Jolly.

Thunderbolt is redundant with Specs Tapu Lele due to the sheer power of Psychic. A better move in that slot would be Psyshock for damaging special walls like Chansey and hitting Assault Vest Magearna harder than Psychic. Focus Blast is an option too for Magearna and Heatran, but it's very unreliable.

Be mindful that Scarf Tyranitar can't outrun +1 Volcarona or Mega Charizard X. However, it can take a hit from Volcarona that don't have Bug Buzz if it's kept healthy. Charizard is a problem though. Scarf Terrakion or Garchomp might be better suited for this team, which can both outrun +1 Charizard. Terrakion can also tank one unboosted Dragon Claw in a worst case scenario.

Consider Soft-Boiled over U-turn. It's really passive but Soft-Boiled is probably necessary for switching in repeatedly to Defog. I also like this spread more: Bold and 240 HP / 72 Def / 140 SpD / 56 Spe. Walls Mega Medicham more effectively.

Also look into adding another Water resist. Maybe Rotom-W over Celesteela?

PC League // Battle Server
                  credit to Fairy for the Suicune sprite
                  Old July 11th, 2017 (8:22 AM).

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by wolf View Post
                    I agree with PlatinumDude's changes, but physically defensive Celesteela might be worth keeping. Specially defensive Celesteela is generally better, but this team already has Mew for switching into Tapu Lele's Psychic so you can probably afford to run a physically defensive spread. Test both of them.

Adamant Charizard might be OK, but if you find yourself getting revenge killed by Scarf Tapu Lele a lot, switch to Jolly.

Thunderbolt is redundant with Specs Tapu Lele due to the sheer power of Psychic. A better move in that slot would be Psyshock for damaging special walls like Chansey and hitting Assault Vest Magearna harder than Psychic. Focus Blast is an option too for Magearna and Heatran, but it's very unreliable.

Be mindful that Scarf Tyranitar can't outrun +1 Volcarona or Mega Charizard X. However, it can take a hit from Volcarona that don't have Bug Buzz if it's kept healthy. Charizard is a problem though. Scarf Terrakion or Garchomp might be better suited for this team, which can both outrun +1 Charizard. Terrakion can also tank one unboosted Dragon Claw in a worst case scenario.

Consider Soft-Boiled over U-turn. It's really passive but Soft-Boiled is probably necessary for switching in repeatedly to Defog. I also like this spread more: Bold and 240 HP / 72 Def / 140 SpD / 56 Spe. Walls Mega Medicham more effectively.

Also look into adding another Water resist. Maybe Rotom-W over Celesteela?
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
                    Lele's Speed is actually decent so you can get away with max Speed instead of max HP. Sure, it's got decent special bulk, but it's rather physically frail, though its typing makes up for it somewhat.

Fire/Dragon has excellent coverage together, so Charizard X should use both Flare Blitz and Dragon Claw. Greninja can already handle Heatran. If you really want to keep Earthquake though, use it over Roost.

I don't see the point of HP Ice on Celesteela other than to hit Garchomp and Therian Landorus, neither of which like to get worn down by Leech Seed. Celesteela is also the best user of Heavy Slam, as it's the heaviest user of the move:
                    -Heavy Slam
                    -Flamethrower
                    -Leech Seed
                    -Protect
                    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef

Even though sandstorm is detrimental to most of the team, Sand Stream is still the better ability for Tyranitar so it can come in on Charizard Y more easily by disrupting and weakening its Solar Beam or taking a pittance from its Fire STAB thanks to the Special Defense buff that sandstorm gives to Rock Pokemon.

I'll assume this is for Battle Spot.

Lopunny's pre-Mega ability should be Limber so it can come in on predicted Thunder Waves/Stun Spores/Glares safely before it Mega Evolves.

Swords Dance + King's Shield isn't the best strategy for Aegislash because it's rather predictable. It's best played with all-out attacking or a Swords Dance set without King's Shield. It can also use a mean SubToxic set to stall out the walls its offensive sets struggle to break through:
                    -Shadow Ball
                    -Shadow Sneak
                    -King's Shield
                    Item: Ghostium Z/Weakness Policy/Spell Tag/Spooky Plate/Leftovers

or
                    -Substitute
                    -Toxic
                    -King's Shield
                    -Shadow Ball
                    EVs: 204 HP/164 SAtk/140 Spe

or
                    -Swords Dance
                    -Shadow Claw/Iron Head
                    -Shadow Sneak
                    -Sacred Sword
                    Item: Life Orb/Weakness Policy/Leftovers/Ghostium Z

Tyranitar is one of the best Talonflame counters out there, though you have to be wary of the weaknesses it shares with Lopunny and Aegislash:
                    -Stealth Rock/Pursuit
                    -Rock Tomb/Stone Edge
                    -Ice Punch
                    -Superpower/Crunch/Earthquake
                    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
                    Item: Lum Berry/Assault Vest/Chople Berry

or
                    -Rock Slide/Rock Tomb
                    -Pursuit
                    -Foul Play
                    -Thunder Wave/Crunch/Stealth Rock
                    Nature: Careful
                    EVs: 252 HP/44 Atk/4 Def/204 SDef/4 Spe
                    Item: Lum Berry
                    Taken both the above under consideration, and noticed a big water weakness. Did make some of the suggested changes though, and am now running the following:
                    Spoiler:
                    Greninja @ Life Orb
                    Hasty Nature
                    - Hydro Pump
                    - Spikes
                    - Ice Beam
                    - Gunk Shot

Adamant Nature
                    - Dragon Dance
                    - Dragon Claw
                    - Flare Blitz
                    - Roost

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
                    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
                    Modest Nature
                    - Psyshock
                    - Hidden Power [Fire]
                    - Psychic
                    - Moonblast

Mew @ Leftovers
                    Careful Nature
                    - Defog
                    - Stealth Rock
                    - Will-O-Wisp
                    - U-turn

Celesteela @ Leftovers
                    Bold Nature
                    - Leech Seed
                    - Protect
                    - Heavy Slam
                    - Flamethrower

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Scarf
                    Ability: Grassy Surge
                    Jolly Nature
                    - Horn Leech
                    - Megahorn
                    - Stone Edge
                    - Superpower

COMPLETED CHALLENGES
                    Old July 11th, 2017 (9:50 AM).
                    Nyeh?
                    • Gold Tier

Quote:
                    Taken both the above under consideration, and noticed a big water weakness. Did make some of the suggested changes though, and am now running the following:
                    Spoiler:
                    Greninja @ Life Orb
                    Hasty Nature
                    - Hydro Pump
                    - Spikes
                    - Ice Beam
                    - Gunk Shot

Adamant Nature
                    - Dragon Dance
                    - Dragon Claw
                    - Flare Blitz
                    - Roost

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
                    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
                    Modest Nature
                    - Psyshock
                    - Hidden Power [Fire]
                    - Psychic
                    - Moonblast

Mew @ Leftovers
                    Careful Nature
                    - Defog
                    - Stealth Rock
                    - Will-O-Wisp
                    - U-turn

Celesteela @ Leftovers
                    Bold Nature
                    - Leech Seed
                    - Protect
                    - Heavy Slam
                    - Flamethrower

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Scarf
                    Ability: Grassy Surge
                    Jolly Nature
                    - Horn Leech
                    - Megahorn
                    - Stone Edge
                    - Superpower

Because Celesteela is using a physical attack, it's better that you go Relaxed so that Heavy Slam's power isn't reduced.

The power loss of using Scarf Bulu compared to Band Bulu is pretty noticeable, so you might want to have it use Wood Hammer alongside Horn Leech, preferably over Megahorn or Stone Edge. Wood Hammer can OHKO Unaware Clefable after Stealth Rock, something Horn Leech can't do. Wood Hammer also has a chance to OHKO Garchomp, too, which Horn Leech lacks. Horn Leech is more of a late-game attack or when Tapu Bulu needs to restore HP at low health:

252 Atk Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Clefable in Grassy Terrain: 351-414 (89 - 105%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Tapu Bulu Horn Leech vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Clefable in Grassy Terrain: 220-261 (55.8 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, Leftovers recovery, and Grassy Terrain recovery

252 Atk Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp in Grassy Terrain: 309-364 (86.3 - 101.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Tapu Bulu Horn Leech vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp in Grassy Terrain: 195-229 (54.4 - 63.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

Old July 11th, 2017 (2:12 PM).

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
                      Because Celesteela is using a physical attack, it's better that you go Relaxed so that Heavy Slam's power isn't reduced.

The power loss of using Scarf Bulu compared to Band Bulu is pretty noticeable, so you might want to have it use Wood Hammer alongside Horn Leech, preferably over Megahorn or Stone Edge. Wood Hammer can OHKO Unaware Clefable after Stealth Rock, something Horn Leech can't do. Wood Hammer also has a chance to OHKO Garchomp, too, which Horn Leech lacks. Horn Leech is more of a late-game attack or when Tapu Bulu needs to restore HP at low health:

252 Atk Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Clefable in Grassy Terrain: 351-414 (89 - 105%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Tapu Bulu Horn Leech vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Clefable in Grassy Terrain: 220-261 (55.8 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, Leftovers recovery, and Grassy Terrain recovery

252 Atk Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp in Grassy Terrain: 309-364 (86.3 - 101.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Tapu Bulu Horn Leech vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp in Grassy Terrain: 195-229 (54.4 - 63.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
                      Am I trying to get too much out of Bulu, as my main water resist and my scarfer ? Am I better swapping my defensive poke to something than can take on water types easier, like Ferro, and running ScarfChomp ?

COMPLETED CHALLENGES
                      Old July 13th, 2017 (10:20 PM).

I leave for half a year and missed this? Sounds pretty cool. I've made a lot of teams and it's always good to get the opinions of others.

I always start with my favorite Pokemon and modify the team as needed (sometimes ditching a fave or two). My top five are: Golisopod, Crobat, Aegislash, Greninja, and Crustle. I'm thinking that a team that plays the priority game might be the best work with some of those. Crustle might not work out in that case. Would I need more to combat Psychic Terrain?
                        Old July 13th, 2017 (10:56 PM).
                        Nyeh?
                        • Gold Tier

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Thunderflare View Post
                        I leave for half a year and missed this? Sounds pretty cool. I've made a lot of teams and it's always good to get the opinions of others.

I always start with my favorite Pokemon and modify the team as needed (sometimes ditching a fave or two). My top five are: Golisopod, Crobat, Aegislash, Greninja, and Crustle. I'm thinking that a team that plays the priority game might be the best work with some of those. Crustle might not work out in that case. Would I need more to combat Psychic Terrain?
                        What tier are you playing at? Smogon OU? Battle Spot? VGC? What are your team's moves?

Golisopod is a rather priority-happy Pokemon, meaning that Tapu Lele can easily stop it in its tracks. Its Emergency Exit ability can be a hindrance, despite its good stats, because it forces it to switch out when it gets weakened. These reasons are why Golisopod isn't seen much in standard (OU) play.

I'm afraid that Greninja and Aegislash are the only viable Pokemon out of your top five. But Aegislash can't be used in Smogon OU because it's an Uber. In Battle Spot, it's okay to use Greninja and Aegislash together.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply