• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Avatar: Last AIrbender Based RP.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Hey guys, last year, me and one of my friends were thinking about doing an Avatar based RP. This is based on the Nickelodeon show and not the movie, as the movie was vastly different from the show and failed to give the actual show justice.

First off basically your characters would be able to bend Water, Fire, Earth, or Air. There are also branches in some of the 4 basics.

This RP would likely take place after Legend of Korra, but not too futuristic. It would still be about the same as Legend of Korra technology wise.

There would be a stat and leveling type system as well as a possible talent system so it would be more balanced and fair. Rpers would only be able to choose one of the 4 main elements and they would level up from there with maybe a point system.

Characters would have to be between 12 to 16 or so to keep in line with the two sagas. And players wouldn't be able to be the Avatar. That is because the Avatar would be the antagonist.

Now I will be honest, this probably won't make progress on my part, as I don't want to be a GM or have it feel like a job in some cases. I just wanted to get people's opinions.

This may end up being a fanfiction at a later point in time. And sorry I don't think I explained this very well, but it would make more sense if the RP took root.

Afterglow Ampharos

Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a b
Years
Characters would have to be between 12 to 16
Why?
No seriously, why? GMs do this far too often in my experience: locking out elderly characters, when it is SO much more interesting to have a varied cast in your game. Imagine a wise elder (perhaps a little off-kilter) tagging along. It would be a blast.

to keep in line with the two sagas.
I don't understand what you mean by this.

Considering A) where you are posting this roleplay, and B) how cool it would be,
I think you should seriously consider making this an RP world where Pokemon exist in the land of Bending.

For example, when you introduced the notion of an Airbender RP I already got to thinking of a potential character:
A waterbending elderly man who lost his wife and spent his grieving period in the swamp.
While he was there, a Tropius found him, and did something special for him. He now believes that the Tropius is his wife's reincarnation, so he named and treats her as such. It's sweet, in a kooky-old-man way.
He also picked up plantbending (aka swampbending if you watched the cartoon?) while he was in the swamp, thanks to the locals and the Tropius.
The man figures that his Tropius will probably outlive him, and simply wants to spend his remaining years with her.
He's happy with her. His dream is to do enough good in his life that he'll earn the right to spend his next life with her, too.

Now obviously this isn't a character that would be allowed if you lock your protagonists in such a limited age range, so I wanted to show you the kind of interesting things you might miss out on. I believe examples speak volumes.

As for including Pokemon in the world, obviously that's a huge change. But it would be targeting the audience on PokeCommunity and it would make things increasingly more interesting. In the same way that Airbenders learned bending from the Sky Bison, humans of this world could have learned bending from Pokemon who can control the elements: but they haven't learned ALL of them yet, because it's harder than it looks -- they've only got the basic four down (plus their branches: ice, on the rare occasion plant and electricity...)

Now I will be honest, this probably won't make progress on my part, as I don't want to be a GM or have it feel like a job in some cases. I just wanted to get people's opinions.
What do you mean by this? You're asking someone else to GM this?

Last edited:

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
Years
Oh man, I get nostalgic every time I read something about an avatar RP... One of my fondest RP experiences on PC.
Spoiler: spoiler alert for Korra, don't read this if you haven't watched the show!
Regarding your idea, I understand you're not looking to GM, but how far into the future is the RP (season-wise)? Is Korra still alive? Any spirit realm shenanigans? Or is this more of a AU you're envisioning?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Why?
No seriously, why? GMs do this far too often in my experience: locking out elderly characters, when it is SO much more interesting to have a varied cast in your game. Imagine a wise elder (perhaps a little off-kilter) tagging along. It would be a blast.

I don't understand what you mean by this.

Considering A) where you are posting this roleplay, and B) how cool it would be,
I think you should seriously consider making this an RP world where Pokemon exist in the land of Bending.

For example, when you introduced the notion of an Airbender RP I already got to thinking of a potential character:
A waterbending elderly man who lost his wife and spent his grieving period in the swamp.
While he was there, a Tropius found him, and did something special for him. He now believes that the Tropius is his wife's reincarnation, so he named and treats her as such. It's sweet, in a kooky-old-man way.
He also picked up plantbending (aka swampbending if you watched the cartoon?) while he was in the swamp, thanks to the locals and the Tropius.
The man figures that his Tropius will probably outlive him, and simply wants to spend his remaining years with her.
He's happy with her. His dream is to do enough good in his life that he'll earn the right to spend his next life with her, too.

Now obviously this isn't a character that would be allowed if you lock your protagonists in such a limited age range, so I wanted to show you the kind of interesting things you might miss out on. I believe examples speak volumes.

As for including Pokemon in the world, obviously that's a huge change. But it would be targeting the audience on PokeCommunity and it would make things increasingly more interesting. In the same way that Airbenders learned bending from the Sky Bison, humans of this world could have learned bending from Pokemon who can control the elements: but they haven't learned ALL of them yet, because it's harder than it looks -- they've only got the basic four down (plus their branches: ice, on the rare occasion plant and electricity...)

What do you mean by this? You're asking someone else to GM this?

I am simply looking at maybe being a GM, I don't want to, but I might that is all. I specifically said that this may not take off and I may just write a story instead.

Avatar is for kids and teenagers who grew up with it. Having main characters being older than what the main character are in the games take away from the series which I am trying to preserve. Plus I don't tend to like characters older than 25 or so. This would be a Teen raterd RP if it took off and therefore the ages should be the same as the rating of the RP. Yes there are older characters in the show, but they aren't the real main character Group like Sokka, Katara, Aang, and Toph or Moko, Bolin, Korra, and Asami.

I hate crossovers. Especially when it is a crossover that makes little sense.

Another thing about age, the to me, the younger they are, the more they can develop. i don't like characters starting already mastering whatever. I prefer development and with the system I have in mind, older characters would make sense.

Would the RP be set in Last Airbender or Legend of Korra?
Oh man, I get nostalgic every time I read something about an avatar RP... One of my fondest RP experiences on PC.
Spoiler: spoiler alert for Korra, don't read this if you haven't watched the show!
Regarding your idea, I understand you're not looking to GM, but how far into the future is the RP (season-wise)? Is Korra still alive? Any spirit realm shenanigans? Or is this more of a AU you're envisioning?

It would likely take place after Legend of Korra with the next Avatar after Korra, so it would be an Earthbending Avatar. Because my plan, if they take root, it wouldn't make much sense to have them at the same time as those two Saga or before.

I could do an AU, but I really don't want to ruin the already established character in the shows. Plus, I have never been a huge fan of AUs, because it can be confusing for a lot of people.

Last edited:

Afterglow Ampharos

Years
Avatar is for kids and teenagers who grew up with it.
No. It's not. Avatar and Korra have a huge, huge adult audience/fanbase.

Besides, I was speaking more about people like me (27) roleplaying as an older character. Even if you want to only play with young IRL people, young IRL people play outside of their age range all the time, just look at DND characters.

Having main characters being older than what the main character are in the games take away from the series which I am trying to preserve.
Lin Beifong is in her 50s. So is Tenzin. Uncle Iroh is probably older still.
The story absolutely wouldn't be complete or interesting without these characters, and that's a good showing of how older characters make a story more interesting than younglings only.

By the time Book Four of Korra rolls around, even the youngest characters in the show are ALL in their 20s, so they are not only NOT teenagers, they are much older than the 16-year-old cap that you set.

My point here being that old characters are BAKED INTO the series that you are trying to preserve.

I really don't understand your reasoning.

Then again, if you'd prefer not to become a GM, then that age cap won't be in the rules, so I guess I can calm down. It'll be up to whatever GM wants to try an idea along these lines. Hopefully you'll be willing to be more open-minded to age if that comes along.

i don't like characters starting already mastering whatever.
This is a pretty separate issue from age. You could simply set limits on power and mastery rather than age -- not every old person is a master bender.
This would in fact be pretty wise because we have characters like Toph who are VERY young and yet already master benders.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • CET
  • Seen Oct 7, 2021
to be fair i actually understand the notion of not wanting older characters in an RP. older characters, because they obviously have much more life experience, have an entirely different perspective to young ones, and as such would deal with events in the RP in a much different way than the rest of the group. oftentimes in such stories there is a certain coming-of-age element to the narrative as well, which would be mostly wasted on an elderly character. young characters have a need to break away from their surroundings and find their own place in the world - while old ones usually already found it. they have ties, be it to a family, a community, or even a reincarnated Tropius. for them to bring this baggage along with them, i think would even put strain on the GM to keep their story relevant to the elderly character.

secondly, and possibly even more importantly, having an old character in a group of youngsters will naturally make the other characters turn to the older one for counsel, thus putting that character in a leadership role from the start. this is certainly true if the discrepancy in age or skill exists between their players as well. of course it is possible for the youngsters to rebel, but personally as a player i would be loath to have constant intercharacter conflict.

for instance, assuming this RP will be similar to TLA in that a band of young, naive but hopeful benders travels the world to learn about it and themselves. the character you mentioned above, an elderly man who 'just wants to live out his days with his animal-wife', could perhaps act as counsel once when they come across his swamp, but why would someone who's happy just living as he is bother to join them on their journey?

Afterglow Ampharos

Years
have an entirely different perspective to young ones, and as such would deal with events in the RP in a much different way than the rest of the group.
That's the whole appeal, Noraxia. What you're listing as a negative, I'm listing as something that is more interesting, more diverse.

Noraxia said:
old ones usually already found their place in the world
Some characters, like the one I made up, need to rediscover a purpose, or are going through a change. This is not too hard to remedy through workshopping the character premise.

Noraxia said:
thus putting that character in a leadership role from the start.
You'd be very surprised. Usually the oldest character of the youthful subset is the leader type. Being the source of advice/wisdom is often different from being the leader in such a group.

Well, I'm sorry you don't share my view. I think we both have points, and it comes down to the diversity and cast that whoever is GMing wants to include.

JukeboxTheGhoul

Rocking Round the Clock
Years
I'd love to join, but having not watched Korra, or past something like episode 8 of the original Avatar I've been watching on Crunchy Roll, this locks me out.

I think opening up the age restriction would be good. Old and young character can work. Look at Prince Zuko, he takes wisdom from his uncle but he is still a "leader" of his own thing.
Brock is by far older than Ash but Ash is the leader.

johhny03

Cool guy
Years
i thought i was going to join because i thought this was a roleplaying for my favorite american movie avatar by james cameron....lol

i maybe join if you tell me what airbender is? and why he is last?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
i thought i was going to join because i thought this was a roleplaying for my favorite american movie avatar by james cameron....lol

i maybe join if you tell me what airbender is? and why he is last?
Google it.

johhny03

Cool guy
Years
Google it.

yes i actually did adventure, thank you for the information

i am a very very big fan of the element thing and i like cartoon also so im very concerned that i never heard of this cartoon before...lol

i have much interest to join now...xD will someone send me a pm (private message) when the rp is going to start??

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
yes i actually did adventure, thank you for the information

i am a very very big fan of the element thing and i like cartoon also so im very concerned that i never heard of this cartoon before...lol

i have much interest to join now...xD will someone send me a pm (private message) when the rp is going to start??
Keep an eye out in Roleplay Casting, to see when the sign-up thread appears. You can also ask IcyIce if they're still considering making this RP; it's been a month so maybe they gave up on the idea.

If you haven't already, maybe read through the Theatre rules to get a feel for how this forum works. https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=362829

johhny03

Cool guy
Years
Keep an eye out in Roleplay Casting, to see when the sign-up thread appears. You can also ask IcyIce if they're still considering making this RP; it's been a month so maybe they gave up on the idea.

If you haven't already, maybe read through the Theatre rules to get a feel for how this forum works. https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=362829

thank you so much adventure

you gimmiepie and foxraly help me so much since i come to the forums, i am so happy.

Back