• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Two Questions

Professor_Nik

Magnemite
Years
So, the game I am currently playing is Pokemon Silver for the 3DS. I have two questions.
1, Am I capable of catching Mew or Mewtwo?
2. Is the capture rate myth true? There is always a 50% capture rate no matter what ball we use except for the master ball?

Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
1. You can catch Mewtwo in the Cerulean Cave but you can't catch Mew.

2. From my experience, the capture rate is 50%.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
iirc Mewtwo is only catchable in HG/SS and not the original G/S, for whatever reason

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
You can't catch Mew or Mewtwo in GSC

dunno about the second question, doesn't seem true

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
As others have said, there's no Mew or Mewtwo in GSC, so you'll have to trade one from RBY (Mewtwo through normal means, Mew via glitch). Technically, you can complete your Pokedex through the Celebi egg glitch (https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Celebi_Egg_glitch), but it's complicated and isn't the intended way of getting those Pokemon in gen II.

Some of the catch rate calculations work a little strangely in gen II, but no, you don't have a 50% chance of catching a Pokemon regardless of the ball. See https://www.dragonflycave.com/mechanics/gen-ii-capturing for a pretty good explanation of how the catch rates work in gen II, and some of the wonkiness of it. They also have a catch rate calculator you can use to get a better sense of what's going on with catch rates in particular situations.

Back