• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years

I opened it again in advancemap 1.95 to see if 1.92 was the problem and the above image is from 1.95.
when opened in 1.92, all the maps that are in banks after 3 are completely gone but in 1.95, the connection list shows they are still there.

i created new maps by Insert Map > Create New Space > 1 Reserved map

and it would work. I could change anything on them and go back and forth between maps. Then I was working on a map, went to header and changed the height by like 4 units and every map went to "create new map" and now there is only 3 banks... and all the maps are apparently still there which is good because if they weren't, i'd quit for good lol. but however i can't figure why that happened and how to fix it.

don't see why people love fire red so much, it sucks imo. I can't even save a block tileset and and tileset 2 and the palettes for it and, yeah it'll insert the tileset 2 and palettes but when you insert the block tileset it just looks like a bunch of crap, even though all parameters match.

Last edited:

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years

I opened it again in advancemap 1.95 to see if 1.92 was the problem and the above image is from 1.95.
when opened in 1.92, all the maps that are in banks after 3 are completely gone but in 1.95, the connection list shows they are still there.

i created new maps by Insert Map > Create New Space > 1 Reserved map

and it would work. I could change anything on them and go back and forth between maps. Then I was working on a map, went to header and changed the height by like 4 units and every map went to "create new map" and now there is only 3 banks... and all the maps are apparently still there which is good because if they weren't, i'd quit for good lol. but however i can't figure why that happened and how to fix it.

don't see why people love fire red so much, it sucks imo. I can't even save a block tileset and and tileset 2 and the palettes for it and, yeah it'll insert the tileset 2 and palettes but when you insert the block tileset it just looks like a bunch of crap, even though all parameters match.
For the whole map thing, Generally you want to stay away from creating new maps because it can cause things to get a bit screwy sometimes. Instead, just edit existing maps that you know you aren't going to be using.

Are these block tilesets the ones from Ruby (or another game)? If that's the case, then it won't work because Fire Red's block sizes are different than that of Ruby. I may be wrong though, I haven't done mapping in a while. :X

Le pug

Years
when trying to inserting tiles, what works?

if i use tileset 13 for tileset 1 and tileset 3 for tileset 2, and then i use tileset 4 for tileset 1 and tileset 13 for tileset 2 on a different map, do the two tileset 13s count as one or are they separate tilesets?

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
when trying to inserting tiles, what works?

if i use tileset 13 for tileset 1 and tileset 3 for tileset 2, and then i use tileset 4 for tileset 1 and tileset 13 for tileset 2 on a different map, do the two tileset 13s count as one or are they separate tilesets?

They will glitch since they're not in the same slot, so they will not correspond. Just switch them around for one map. Plus tileset 0 should be the first tileset on every map, because some tilesets just glitch up without it.

Years
Hello, I have a question.

How do I insert new tilesets, and do I need another program to so?

I saw a tutorial and the person did it through Block Editor, but I get an error when inserting them.
This is the error:

"Access violation at address 0046719C in module 'Advance Map.exe'. Read address 0000042C."

Le pug

Years
They will glitch since they're not in the same slot, so they will not correspond. Just switch them around for one map. Plus tileset 0 should be the first tileset on every map, because some tilesets just glitch up without it.

well what i'm trying to do is have it to where most maps that i only need a few tiles on i'll use 0 but if i have a map where i'll need more, i'll use like tileset 2 and 3 then for another I'd do 3 and 4.

so far the only problem with that was when i used the same number for different tilesets and trying to overlap them with new tiles. if i use different numbers, but I'm careful to not overlap older tilesets then it is fine. i noticed the glitches when i used the same tilesets and today i've had to recreate my maps several times because of it.

Hello, I have a question.

How do I insert new tilesets, and do I need another program to so?

I saw a tutorial and the person did it through Block Editor, but I get an error when inserting them.
This is the error:

"Access violation at address 0046719C in module 'Advance Map.exe'. Read address 0000042C."

if you're inserting your own tileset, make sure it's the right size ( height x width ) which is different between FR/LG and R/S/E. if you don't have the correct palette also, your images might look like big square images filled with the transparent color. If this is a problem just open up Show Palette Editor under Palette in block editor and edit the colors to exactly the same 16 colors of your tileset. You usually have up to 12 palettes to work with so you can have all different color schemes for your tileset as long as you match the tileset to it's palette.

as for the access violation, it might be the version advancemap you're using. If you're using AdvanceMap 1.95, try switching to AdvanceMap 1.92. That or you might have accidentally broken something. Try restarting the program in this case. Sometimes there are things we do that can corrupt the file, which is why you should always have a backup file and just like a game, save often to your backup just in case you hit a wall.

Last edited:
Years
if you're inserting your own tileset, make sure it's the right size ( height x width ) which is different between FR/LG and R/S/E. if you don't have the correct palette also, your images might look like big square images filled with the transparent color. If this is a problem just open up Show Palette Editor under Palette in block editor and edit the colors to exactly the same 16 colors of your tileset. You usually have up to 12 palettes to work with so you can have all different color schemes for your tileset as long as you match the tileset to it's palette.

as for the access violation, it might be the version advancemap you're using. If you're using AdvanceMap 1.95, try switching to AdvanceMap 1.92. That or you might have accidentally broken something. Try restarting the program in this case. Sometimes there are things we do that can corrupt the file, which is why you should always have a backup file and just like a game, save often to your backup just in case you hit a wall.

I'm using the version 1.92 of Advance Map and yes, by restarting the program it goes back to how it was originally. The problem is inserting the tileset into the Emerald ROM. I didn't touch the width at all but I made the height just a little bit longer because I need space to insert a few new trees. But exactly when I insert it, I get that error.

Edit: Ok everything didn't crash now the only thing that did pop up was something about the dib being invalid.

Last edited:

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Hello and good day. I am here to ask a question.
I am following Jambo's tutorial on adding new attacks without replacing old ones.
I am aware that he's using FireRed as a base, however, it's easy to follow since there are tools that lets me see the pointers that I needed in Ruby, however...
I am stuck in the step wherein I'm going to repoint the pointers to my new assigned offset.
Specifically, the attack names in Ruby.

From what I gathered, Ruby's attack pointer is 0x1F8320, so naturally, I'll just search for the reverse of the offset, which would be 20831F, but here's the problem.

In Ruby, all those pointers are 20831F83, not 20831F08 that I was expecting.

Long story short, I wanna ask what's the correct attack name pointer in Pokémon Ruby. =/

Branellope

THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
Years
There are two things I want to do in my hack.
1. Add a new type (Fairy)
2. Make it so you get the National Dex from Celio when you get to One Island, instead of Professor Oak after the Elite Four.

How?

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
2. Make it so you get the National Dex from Celio when you get to One Island, instead of Professor Oak after the Elite Four.

How?

1) I'm assuming you are a new ROM hacker since you are asking these questions. Adding a new type would require a lot of ASM knowledge. It's not something a hacker that is starting out can learn to do. What I would recommened is just forget about doing this right away, get some experience with ROM hacking, and return after you have had practice with ASM and such.

2) Just open the script for Professor OAK in advanced map. Find the part of the script where Prof Oak gives you the national Pokedex, and just rewrite that script and complie it, and put the script offset in Celio's Script (If that makes any sense). If you didn't understand that, you can PM me and I can explain in more detail.

xGal

Mhm
Years

How?

- If I am not wrong, you may replace the "???" type with the Fairy type. Make sure you change Curse's type, so as Struggle's. After that, change the "???"'s text string with "Fairy" or whatever type.

- Setflag 0x16F?

Years
  • Seen Sep 5, 2013
Hi guys, I downloaded advance map 1.92, XSE (not sure what version), FSF and a fire red rom. I followed all the steps in opening advance map, choosing xse as the script editor in it. I used fsf to find free space, opened XSE, loaded the fire red rom and created a simple speaking script using the located dynamic offset. I compliled and copy/pasted the given offset into the 'script offset' box in advance map for a person event. As far as i can tell the script i wrote should work perfectly but it dosent. I load the rom, walk to the person the script was added to. Press A and nothing happens, if i press A a second time, there is a small beep and they look at me, but no text box and the game dosent lock as it should. Below is my script. Im running windows 8.

#dynamic 0x(FSF Offset)
#org @start
lock
faceplayer
msgbox @1 0x6
release
end

#org @1
= Hi.\nMy name is Diego.

Last edited:

GoGoJJTech

Years
Hi guys, I downloaded advance map 1.92, XSE (not sure what version), FSF and a fire red rom. I followed all the steps in opening advance map, choosing xse as the script editor in it. I used fsf to find free space, opened XSE, loaded the fire red rom and created a simple speaking script using the located dynamic offset. I compliled and copy/pasted the given offset into the 'script offset' box in advance map for a person event. As far as i can tell the script i wrote should work perfectly but it dosent. I load the rom, walk to the person the script was added to. Press A and nothing happens, if i press A a second time, there is a small beep and they look at me, but no text box and the game dosent lock as it should. Below is my script. Im running windows 8.

#dynamic 0x(FSF Offset)
#org @start
lock
faceplayer
msgbox @1 0x6
release
end

#org @1
= Hi.\nMy name is Diego.

This XSE will make that dialogue appear: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0t2wylmh4juzvux/Unofficial_XSE.zip

Years
  • Seen Nov 29, 2015
Help applying the physical/special split to roms?

From what I understand, you need the patch for FR/Emerald, then you have to use a hex editor to change the values of a certain byte. That's all good and well, but has anybody made a guide for doing this? I know a few hacks have incorporated it, so there must be some method to it all...

I finally found a move list on Bulbapedia, that I can only pray is indeed in the right order. So I have to find pound in the hex editor, but then... I would have to find a move that needs to be changed, then count down the rows from pound until I'm at what I believe to be the right row, and change the byte?

Please tell me there's a list out there of the moves that need changing and what their addresses are.

And just to be clear, this is something that's absolutely necessary, right? I need to do this so that the moves have the right physical/special characteristic? This isn't just to make the menu say how it's physical instead of special, or vice versa, right?

Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated, because this is something I've been looking into on and off for at least a year.

GoGoJJTech

Years
Help applying the physical/special split to roms?

From what I understand, you need the patch for FR/Emerald, then you have to use a hex editor to change the values of a certain byte. That's all good and well, but has anybody made a guide for doing this? I know a few hacks have incorporated it, so there must be some method to it all...

I finally found a move list on Bulbapedia, that I can only pray is indeed in the right order. So I have to find pound in the hex editor, but then... I would have to find a move that needs to be changed, then count down the rows from pound until I'm at what I believe to be the right row, and change the byte?

Please tell me there's a list out there of the moves that need changing and what their addresses are.

And just to be clear, this is something that's absolutely necessary, right? I need to do this so that the moves have the right physical/special characteristic? This isn't just to make the menu say how it's physical instead of special, or vice versa, right?

Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated, because this is something I've been looking into on and off for at least a year.

Apply this patch: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wpvmw8m80xmh08b/Fire Red Flawless DPSS DO FIRST.ips
Then this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l6l3s0pjt1rxoiz/physical and special on fire red DO AFTER FIRST.ips
Note, these are for FR. Then use PGE to edit whether the moves are physical/special.

Years
  • Seen Nov 29, 2015
OK, that's much more straightforward, thank you!

However, I'm in PGE and all of the moves are already under the correct category. Why's that?

Lastly, I just want to confirm: I can then patch this rom with a hack, right?

GoGoJJTech

Years
OK, that's much more straightforward, thank you!

However, I'm in PGE and all of the moves are already under the correct category. Why's that?

Lastly, I just want to confirm: I can then patch this rom with a hack, right?

Well the first patch applies the split. The second defines the moves into their categories, so it should get working right away. I forgot, to fix something do this:
Jambo51 said:
I think I've found the code which causes the Mirror Coat/Counter bug in Fire Red.
Change it to this, and it should hopefully fix it.
Code:
0801F6C2: 86 7A
0801F908: 00 2E
0801F90A: 41 D1
And yes, you can apply it to a hacked ROM. As long as you didn't already tamper with the move tables.

3dd13

Leader of the Fallen
Years
I have looked for days trying to figure this out. There is no tutorial that I can find anywhere, and no one seems to know the answer. I currently know how to insert a custom midi in a ds rom (1/3 and easy to find) replace instruments (2/3 took me a day and hard to find) but I cannot for the life of me figure out (or find) how to make a custom sound bank so I can use a custom variety of instruments. on example of my intention is that a remix I made uses sounds from multiple b2/w2 banks, but without a custom sound bank, its useless because of the limitations (just doesn't sound right with the instruments I am limited to). does anyone know how to make a custom sound bank? There is an option in CrystalTile 2 to export a *.dls, which I can edit to how I need easily, but no way to convert it back. would someone either explain what I need to do, link me to a tutorial, or make one please?

dudebot

Glowing Yellow
Years
Having trouble transitioning from the starter town to Route 1. Game freezes the moment you leave the starter town.

To verify, I've changed the dimensions and landscape of the starter town as well as the Route. I've deleted the Oak script along with every script that took place outside. Movement permissions are changed and the connection is not to the original Route 1, but a new map altogether. I changed the new map's scripts and header to match up to the old one, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back