• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokken: Garchomp

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Can I start writing this, or is there something we have to wait on before going further?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Beginner Garchomp Guide

Overview:

Garchomp is one of the four Power archetype Pokémon in Pokkén Tournament. Like the other three Power Pokémon, it hits hard, but unlike them, it has a higher overall movement speed. It's clear from its movement speed and many of its moves that Garchomp wants to and is designed to get in on the opponent. This however does not mean that you want to rush at your opponent. Patient play is, while important to some degree on all characters, absolutely vital to success with Garchomp. Playing Garchomp as an aggressive rushdown character like Blaziken will end up getting you killed. Rather, you want to focus on reading your opponent and punishing their mistakes (as Garchomp is a brutal whiff punisher), as well as mixing up your gameplay. Garchomp's primary weaknesses are its poor/awkward ranged combat, and its overall lack of safety.

Key Garchomp Moves

While you generally want to make use of as much as your moveset as possible, there are some moves that are important for every (Garchomp) player to master in order to succeed.

Dig (Forward A) - This is one of Garchomp's best tools and the primary reason why it handles zoners fine. Garchomp burrows into the ground and homes in on the opponent. While burrowed, it's invulnerable to all attacks (even the exposed dorsal fin is invincible), allowing it to bypass projectiles and close the gap, and even punish poor projectile use. Dig is also capable of hitting airborne opponents (ironic when you consider how Ground type moves work in the main series games), making it a solid choice for punishing or pseudo-countering some aerial attacks. This is particularly good in the Suicune matchup, as Suicunes like to jump a lot. The most important part of using Dig though is the ability to mix it up. You can end Dig in three different ways: attacking (how it normally ends), canceling it with R, and canceling it with a jump. Utilize all three options in order to throw your opponent off balance and keep them guessing.

However, Garchomp is also vulnerable both before and after burrowing into the ground, and the move is extremely unsafe on block and whiff, so you must be ready to react to how your opponent is going to react to it.

Stone Edge (Backwards A) - Sand swirls around Garchomp as it prepares to counter the opponent's attack. A fantastic counter, and in many situations better than the standard counter, since you don't need to worry about facing the right way or when you have to release the charge. Don't neglect the regular counter though.

Dragon Rush (Duel Phase, Up A) - This allows you to close the gap between you and your opponent, though the jump at the beginning of the move can make this a bit easy to react to. Fortunately you can cancel Dragon Rush with R or cancel it into Dig to make it less predictable. I personally use it mainly as a grab punish, as Dragon Rush gains a second hit when it's a critical hit. The move also allows Garchomp to handle Sceptile and Chandelure's long-range command grabs, something many Pokémon wish they could do.

Duel Phase Strong Attack (X) - Great for whiff punishing and catching bad jumps due to its speed and the distance covered.

Rising Dragon (hold X, release X) - It's not actually called that and doesn't really have a name, but it's easier (and cooler) to refer to it as that than via the inputs. One of the most versatile parts of Garchomp's moveset, as it can be charged at almost anytime (you can charge it during another move's animation, while landing, even while getting hit!) and be released at almost anytime. You'll know when the move is ready to go when a pulsing orb appears on Garchomp, as shown here:
Spoiler:

When unleashed, the (grounded version of) the attack looks like this:
Spoiler:

While the aerial version has Garchomp dive down, and then if high enough, rocket back up into the air.

Field Phase

Your main objective in Field Phase is to get close to your opponent and initiate Duel Phase. Like was mentioned before though, this does not mean run at your opponent and hit buttons. Against non-zoners, run close to them and then dance with them, waiting for an opportunity to strike. Smart use of Dig and the aerial X attack (has a fairly strong homing ability and sizeable disjoint) will allow you get in on zoners. Charged aerial Y is also something to use to get you and your opponent closer together, as it will drag them towards Garchomp.

Duel Phase

This is where the majority of your damage will occur. You'll notice here that Garchomp moves on the ground much more slowly than it does during Field Phase. This is fine though since Garchomp has good mid-range burst (I do not mean burst as in Synergy Burst) options in Dragon Rush, Dragon Claw, and the strong attack, as well as still having access to Dig. Like in Field Phase, the idea is to play patiently to bait out and punish mistakes, except in Duel Phase Garchomp will get more reward out of it.

Garchomp also gains something called "Running Stance" in Duel Phase, which is not really a stance but is just.....literally Garchomp running. Running Stance can be entered by quickly pressing forward 3 times, or by holding A or Y at the end of Dragon Claw or forward Y-forward Y, respectively. There is one attack unique to Running Stance, an overhead swing that pops the opponent up for follow-up attacks, activated by pressing X while in Running Stance.

Basic Garchomp Combos

Combos. Everybody loves combos sometimes a little too much. These are a few simple combos with Garchomp to get you started, so you can get something out of your punishes and reads. If you want longer/flashier/more technical combos, go look that shit up on Youtube.

Weak Combo->Dig finisher (Duel Phase, Y,Y,Y->forward A) - Does more damage than the standard Dragon Claw finisher.

Strong Attack->Rising Dragon (Duel Phase, X->Rising Dragon) - Hold X from the moment you begin the strong attack, Rising Dragon will be charged as soon as Garchomp lands.

Stone Edge->High Stance X->Strong Attack (Duel Phase, backwards A->Up X->X) - Great for reversing the situation if your back is to the wall, as the Up X will send the opponent over Garchomp and it'll move forward a bit, causing you to effectively switch places.

Sand Tomb (crit)->backwards Y->Poké Combo 1(Duel Phase, Down A (crit)->backwards Y->Y,Y,Y,Y)

Aerial Charged Y->Sandstorm->forward Y (Field Phase, aerial Y, charged->run forward->backwards Y->forward Y)

Synergy Burst

When you activate Synergy Burst, Garchomp will mega evolve into Mega Garchomp. Along with the boosted attack power, the immunity to hitstun from weaker attacks, and the access to Burst Attack, three of Garchomp's moves change a bit. Dig becomes significantly faster, and Sand Tomb and Dragon Rush will always do their second hits, regardless of if they were a critical hit or not. It should also be noted that when not in burst mode and in Duel Phase, low stance will build Garchomp's synergy gauge; every time its tail wags the gauge will fill a tiny bit.

Garchomp's Burst Attack is Outrage Smasher, as seen below:
Spoiler:

Like most Burst Attacks, it has almost no start-up, beats out almost everything, and does a ton of damage. Unlike most Burst Attacks though, it's actually unsafe and punishable if you screw it up. So you have to actually be careful with it and not just throw it out and expect everything to be ok like with most of the other ones. In order to get the entirety of that sexy ass attack, the first leaping strike has to connect. If it misses or is blocked, Garchomp will keep swinging away for a while, leaving it open to attacks if you opponent is out of the way. If they block it, it will break their guard on the final swing, but due to the attack's endlag and guard break not giving significant frame advantage in this game for some reason, it will at worst get you punished and at best put you into a guessing situation. Garchomp also loses a bit of HP if you don't land that first hit.

As awful as this all might sound, it's more just to reinforce the idea that Garchomp requires patience.

Support Pokémon Suggestions:

Picking a good support set can also help you out a lot. Here I'll recommend a few support Pokémon sets that are useful to Garchomp. Keep in mind that other sets may be useful too.

Cubone/Diglett - Cubone is the star here, as Bonemerang gives you another way to bring the opponent towards you, especially the ones that don't want to get close.

Emolga/Fennekin - Emolga's ability to slow down opponents is great for Garchomp, since it makes it easier to chase down fast Pokémon like Weavile or Pikachu, who can otherwise play keep-away with you all day. Fennekin is a great get off me option, since it's hard to get some breathing room versus characters like Blaziken, Weavile, etc.

Latios/Yveltal - Latios can restrict the opponent's ability to move, making it easier to close in on them, while Yveltal provides you with a long lasting hitbox on a spot, and if it hits, it'll temporarily prevent them from using Synergy Burst, which is just good in general.

Reshiram/Cresselia is also good, but that one's good on everyone really.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
So basically this is it, more or less. So now y'all can look over it and give feedback and stuff.

I wanted to have gifs for the combos I listed but the few videos I saw on Youtube didn't have any of them, or at least not exactly as I have them. So we can either like: do without any visuals for that, someone else can make the gifs (or at least make a Youtube video of them and send me the link so I can make them), or I do it via screenshots, one move at a time. idk

bobandbill

one more time
Years
So basically this is it, more or less. So now y'all can look over it and give feedback and stuff.

I wanted to have gifs for the combos I listed but the few videos I saw on Youtube didn't have any of them, or at least not exactly as I have them. So we can either like: do without any visuals for that, someone else can make the gifs (or at least make a Youtube video of them and send me the link so I can make them), or I do it via screenshots, one move at a time. idk
Hi, just a quick post. We'll get to editing this presently! (I'm a bit caught up with real life at the moment so while I inevitably make time I can't make any promises.)

I'll quote notify the Daily artists in case any are keen on helping make gifs or select screenshots. Imagine knowing what the moves are does help, but no harm in the notification.

A few things:
- Cover image! What would you like that to be? Throw out any ideas you have for that. The artists on the Daily staff team can help out with that as well. (I like the choice of images within the article, incidentally).
- We also need an excerpt - a short sentence or two summarising what the article is about. This displays with the article title on the homepage of Daily, within the comment threads OP and below each article's cover image.
- We also need an email address, desired username (cannot be changed!) and nickname (can be changed and is how you are credited). This is to make an account for you on the WordPress, which allows for easier crediting for authors. You can PM that to me if you'd like.

Kirby said:
Pebbles said:
Rivvon said:

Reactions: Nah

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
- Cover image! What would you like that to be? Throw out any ideas you have for that. The artists on the Daily staff team can help out with that as well. (I like the choice of images within the article, incidentally).
A Garchomp version of what you had posted for the Blaziken one would be good, though the artists can do whatever they want as I'm sure whatever they make will be fine.

We also need an excerpt - a short sentence or two summarising what the article is about. This displays with the article title on the homepage of Daily, within the comment threads OP and below each article's cover image.
Oh, right. Uh...idk, something like?: "A brief guide to using Garchomp in Pokkén Tournament. Learn about its important moves, combos, and general gameplan."

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Updated version:

Spoiler:

What's different from the previous version is that I made some of the edits Matt suggested, added Jo's cover image, and added images for the combos I listed. Gifs would still be better for that, but if that's not happening then we can roll with the stills instead I guess. Still needs some sort of ending bit but idk what to do about that =/
edit: more edits made

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I've got some more edits.

But first, more general stuff:
- Firstly, it could inherit the intro of the Blaziken article if this ends up being put up before that article (which may well happen?). No need to replace what is here with that.
- Ending: I suppose you can keep it short and sweet - summarise Garchomp's playstyle, ask the reader if this guide helps them/makes them want to use garchomp.
- Images seem fine, so in absence of gifs I think you could go ahead with using those.

Like the other three Power Pokémon
Which are? Maybe worth naming them here in brackets.
This is particularly good in the Suicune matchup, as Suicunes like to jump a lot.
Suicune as plural - no 's' at the end of Pokemon species names.
However, Garchomp is also vulnerable both before and after burrowing into the ground, and the move is extremely unsafe on block and whiff, so you must be ready to react to how your opponent is going to react to it.
'react' twice at the end is a bit repetitive, so I'd change one of them.
This is fine though since Garchomp has good mid-range burst (I do not mean burst as in Synergy Burst)
This reads a bit oddly, and maybe doesn't clarify what you do mean enough as well. Think this could use a reword.
Garchomp also gains something called "Running Stance" in Duel Phase, which is not really a stance but is just.....literally Garchomp running.
'... ' (with the space) instead of '.....'.
Running Stance can be entered by quickly pressing forward 3 times,
Numbers less than 100 (some say 10) should be written out with letters rather than as a number in most instances, so three > 3.
If you want longer/flashier/more technical combos, go look that **** up on Youtube.
Not keen on a censored word and that phrasing. "go look that up on YouTube." would suffice. (Note also the capitalised T in YouTube.)
gif made using this video:
Gif.
So you have to actually be careful with it and not just throw it out and expect everything to be ok like with most of the other ones.
"Therefore, you have to...(etc)"
Fennekin is a great get off me option, since it's hard to get some breathing room versus characters like Blaziken, Weavile, etc.
"...is a great 'get-off-me' option..."

Looks pretty great to me overall! Nice and in-depth.

Back