The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon Gaming Competitive Pokémon
Help Me Start Therian Landorus based team

Competitive Pokémon The forum designed for all of your competitive Pokémon needs! Here you can discuss the metagame, receive help on your team, ask for battles, participate in events, and much more!
Quick Links: PC's Battle Server


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old January 11th, 2018 (7:44 AM).
Piloswine's Avatar
Piloswine Piloswine is offline
Random Vagabond
     
    Join Date: Oct 2015
    Age: 23
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Quiet
    Posts: 165
    Hi everyone. I got this Therian Landorus from giveaway and wanted to build a team with it on SM OU. Ideas on how to begin?

    Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - U-turn
    Reply With Quote

    Relevant Advertising!

      #2    
    Old January 11th, 2018 (12:27 PM). Edited January 11th, 2018 by Rapture11.
    Rapture11's Avatar
    Rapture11 Rapture11 is offline
    All about Battle Spot <3
       
      Join Date: Jan 2014
      Location: United States
      Age: 24
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Lonely
      Posts: 105
      It's all your choice but personally I'd go with
      [email protected] X
      Nature: Jolly
      EVs: 252 speed EVs, 252 attack EVs, 4 special defense EVs
      Moves:
      Fire Punch
      Dragon Claw
      Earthquake/Brick Break
      Dragon Dance

      Tapu [email protected] Z
      Ability: Electric Surge
      Nature: Timid
      EVs: 252 speed EVs, 252 special attack EVs, 4 defense EVs
      Moves:
      Discharge
      Dazzling Gleam
      Hidden Power Ice
      Calm Mind/Volt Switch

      Other Suggestions:

      [email protected]
      Ability: Intimidate
      Nature: Jolly
      EVs: 252 speed EVs, 252 attack EVs, 4 HP EVs
      Moves:
      Waterfall
      Crunch
      Earthquake
      Dragon Dance
      __________________
      Reply With Quote
        #3    
      Old January 11th, 2018 (4:27 PM).
      PlatinumDude's Avatar
      PlatinumDude PlatinumDude is online now
      Nyeh?
       
      Join Date: Aug 2010
      Location: Canada
      Age: 24
      Gender: Male
      Nature: Hasty
      Posts: 12,952
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Rapture11 View Post
      It's all your choice but personally I'd go with
      [email protected] X
      Nature: Jolly
      EVs: 252 speed EVs, 252 attack EVs, 4 special defense EVs
      Moves:
      Fire Punch
      Dragon Claw
      Earthquake/Brick Break
      Dragon Dance

      Tapu [email protected] Z
      Ability: Electric Surge
      Nature: Timid
      EVs: 252 speed EVs, 252 special attack EVs, 4 defense EVs
      Moves:
      Discharge
      Dazzling Gleam
      Hidden Power Ice
      Calm Mind/Volt Switch

      Other Suggestions:

      [email protected]
      Ability: Intimidate
      Nature: Jolly
      EVs: 252 speed EVs, 252 attack EVs, 4 HP EVs
      Moves:
      Waterfall
      Crunch
      Earthquake
      Dragon Dance
      Koko doesn't have much use for Discharge, as fishing for paralysis is pretty redundant with its high Speed. It's better off using Thunderbolt as a consistent Electric STAB.
      __________________

      Reply With Quote
        #4    
      Old January 11th, 2018 (4:44 PM).
      Rapture11's Avatar
      Rapture11 Rapture11 is offline
      All about Battle Spot <3
         
        Join Date: Jan 2014
        Location: United States
        Age: 24
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Lonely
        Posts: 105
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by PlatinumDude View Post
        Koko doesn't have much use for Discharge, as fishing for paralysis is pretty redundant with its high Speed. It's better off using Thunderbolt as a consistent Electric STAB.
        It's just my suggestion, discharge has a 30% chance of paralysis and has a chance of opponent doing nothing when it's paralyzed which is useful and thunderbolt has 10% chance of paralysis and only 10 more base power but discharge has saved me lots of times with paralyzing opponents.
        __________________
        Reply With Quote
          #5    
        Old January 11th, 2018 (9:02 PM).
        PlatinumDude's Avatar
        PlatinumDude PlatinumDude is online now
        Nyeh?
         
        Join Date: Aug 2010
        Location: Canada
        Age: 24
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Hasty
        Posts: 12,952
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Rapture11 View Post
        It's just my suggestion, discharge has a 30% chance of paralysis and has a chance of opponent doing nothing when it's paralyzed which is useful and thunderbolt has 10% chance of paralysis and only 10 more base power but discharge has saved me lots of times with paralyzing opponents.
        Koko is rather frail to try to fish for paralysis. It's better all-out attacking. That, and Thunderbolt achieves a few KOs that Discharge can fall short on more easily:

        252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-Wash in Electric Terrain: 169-199 (55.7 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

        252 SpA Tapu Koko Discharge vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-Wash in Electric Terrain: 150-177 (49.5 - 58.4%) -- 66.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

        252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 16 SpD Scizor-Mega in Electric Terrain: 177-208 (51.6 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

        252 SpA Tapu Koko Discharge vs. 248 HP / 16 SpD Scizor-Mega in Electric Terrain: 156-184 (45.4 - 53.6%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO
        __________________

        Reply With Quote
          #6    
        Old January 12th, 2018 (6:58 AM). Edited January 12th, 2018 by Nah.
        Nah's Avatar
        Nah Nah is offline
         
        Join Date: Nov 2013
        Age: 25
        Gender: Female
        Posts: 12,111
        Landorus-T is the kind of 'mon that can fit onto almost team, so instead of building a team around it, one can build a team around something else and just slot it in somehow.

        The set you have there is a common one since it fits a bunch of good stuff (SR support, Intimidate+physical bulk, Ground+Electric immunities, slow U-Turn) onto one teamslot. It generally can check physical attackers that are Earthquake or HP Ice weak, or are just rather frail.

        So one idea would be to use a (set-up) sweeper that pairs well with it, particularly something that threatens what (defensive) Lando tends to draw in (fat/fast Water or Ice types, Skarm/Celes, Tapu Bulu, etc) . The aforementioned Mega Gyarados and Tapu Koko do that (Koko in particular), as well as maybe stuff like Keldeo or Gunk Shot (Ash?)Greninja. Maybe.

        For less offensive/more defensive options, AssVest Tangrowth and Tapu Fini should partner reasonably well with it, I think.
        __________________
        Nah ンン
        “No, I... I have to be strong. Everyone expects me to."
        Reply With Quote
          #7    
        Old January 13th, 2018 (7:10 PM).
        Piloswine's Avatar
        Piloswine Piloswine is offline
        Random Vagabond
           
          Join Date: Oct 2015
          Age: 23
          Gender: Male
          Nature: Quiet
          Posts: 165
          You guys are awesome!
          Here is how my team is now:
          I've added Ceslesteela for defensive coverage, Kartana to Defog and additionally it can sweep, and Volcarona to Revenge Kill. What do you think?

          Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
          Ability: Intimidate
          Shiny: Yes
          EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
          - Stealth Rock
          - Earthquake
          - Hidden Power [Ice]
          - U-turn

          Tapu Koko @ Fairium Z
          Ability: Electric Surge
          Shiny: Yes
          EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
          Timid Nature
          IVs: 0 Atk
          - Thunderbolt
          - Dazzling Gleam
          - Hidden Power [Ground]
          - Volt Switch

          Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
          Ability: Intimidate
          EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
          Jolly Nature
          - Waterfall
          - Crunch
          - Earthquake
          - Dragon Dance

          Celesteela @ Leftovers
          Ability: Beast Boost
          EVs: 252 HP / 98 Def / 158 SpD
          Sassy Nature
          - Heavy Slam
          - Fire Blast
          - Leech Seed
          - Protect

          Kartana @ Fightinium Z
          Ability: Beast Boost
          EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
          - Defog
          - Leaf Blade
          - Sacred Sword
          - Swords Dance

          Volcarona @ Choice Scarf
          Ability: Flame Body
          EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
          - Flare Blitz
          - Psychic
          - Giga Drain
          - U-turn
          Reply With Quote
            #8    
          Old January 13th, 2018 (8:15 PM).
          Rapture11's Avatar
          Rapture11 Rapture11 is offline
          All about Battle Spot <3
             
            Join Date: Jan 2014
            Location: United States
            Age: 24
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Lonely
            Posts: 105
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Piloswine View Post
            You guys are awesome!
            Here is how my team is now:
            I've added Ceslesteela for defensive coverage, Kartana to Defog and additionally it can sweep, and Volcarona to Revenge Kill. What do you think?

            Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
            Ability: Intimidate
            Shiny: Yes
            EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
            - Stealth Rock
            - Earthquake
            - Hidden Power [Ice]
            - U-turn

            Tapu Koko @ Fairium Z
            Ability: Electric Surge
            Shiny: Yes
            EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
            Timid Nature
            IVs: 0 Atk
            - Thunderbolt
            - Dazzling Gleam
            - Hidden Power [Ground]
            - Volt Switch

            Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
            Ability: Intimidate
            EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
            Jolly Nature
            - Waterfall
            - Crunch
            - Earthquake
            - Dragon Dance

            Celesteela @ Leftovers
            Ability: Beast Boost
            EVs: 252 HP / 98 Def / 158 SpD
            Sassy Nature
            - Heavy Slam
            - Fire Blast
            - Leech Seed
            - Protect

            Kartana @ Fightinium Z
            Ability: Beast Boost
            EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
            - Defog
            - Leaf Blade
            - Sacred Sword
            - Swords Dance

            Volcarona @ Choice Scarf
            Ability: Flame Body
            EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
            - Flare Blitz
            - Psychic
            - Giga Drain
            - U-turn
            Kartana is outspeed by some and has low defenses so i wouldn't give it swords dance unless there was a wall, I would give it a coverage move and also give it a life orb instead and Volcarona is better used with a focus sash and giving it heat wave, bug buzz, giga drain and quiver dance but again it's all up to you.
            __________________
            Reply With Quote
              #9    
            Old January 14th, 2018 (12:38 AM).
            PlatinumDude's Avatar
            PlatinumDude PlatinumDude is online now
            Nyeh?
             
            Join Date: Aug 2010
            Location: Canada
            Age: 24
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Hasty
            Posts: 12,952
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Rapture11 View Post
            Kartana is outspeed by some and has low defenses so i wouldn't give it swords dance unless there was a wall, I would give it a coverage move and also give it a life orb instead and Volcarona is better used with a focus sash and giving it heat wave, bug buzz, giga drain and quiver dance but again it's all up to you.
            You’re underestimating Swords Dance Kartana. It may be frail, especially in the special side, but its physical bulk is decent. Swords Dance is one of Kartana’s best sets because it can set up on a passive wall like Skarmory then break past it with All Out Pummeling. Swords Dance also compensates for the not very impressive base power moves Kartana usually runs. Kartana also has the option of running Defog to clear away entry hazards on your field. Kartana is reasonably good at forcing switches so it gets opportunities to remove hazards. You don’t have to set up Swords Dance if the time isn’t right; you only set it up when there’s an opportunity. In other words, OP’s moveset is fine the way it is.

            Changing Volcarona to Quiver Dance, I agree on. But the alternative item should be Charti Berry to let Volcarona take a (non-STAB) Rock move when setting up. Focus Sash isn’t particularly good with all the priory and hazards running around. Heat Wave is outclassed by Fire Blast because of the latter’s raw power; it’s only good in doubles:
            -Quiver Dance
            -Bug Buzz
            -Fire Blast
            -Psychic/Hidden Power (Ground)
            Nature: Timid
            EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
            Item: Charti Berry
            Ability: Flame Body
            __________________

            Reply With Quote
              #10    
            Old January 15th, 2018 (9:46 AM).
            Piloswine's Avatar
            Piloswine Piloswine is offline
            Random Vagabond
               
              Join Date: Oct 2015
              Age: 23
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Quiet
              Posts: 165
              Thanks! I'll test this team now!
              Reply With Quote
              Reply

              Quick Reply

              Join the conversation!

              Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

              Create a PokéCommunity Account

              Sponsored Links
              Thread Tools

              Posting Rules
              You may not post new threads
              You may not post replies
              You may not post attachments
              You may not edit your posts

              BB code is On
              Smilies are On
              [IMG] code is On
              HTML code is Off

              Forum Jump


              All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:01 PM.