• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Catch 'Em All Club!

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
I am at about 5 or 6 boxes of Pokémon in Sun. Good progress, but still a very long way to go. Plus I haven't had much time lately to catch Pokémon /sadface
Huge props to those who are focusing on the Pokebank National Pokedex in SM after they have completed the Alolan Pokedex, because I don't have the patience for that. 8D
holy shit that is a lot of pokébank

do you even get anything for completing national dex in SM? not that some people need a reward to motivate them I guess, haha.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
I am at about 5 or 6 boxes of Pokémon in Sun. Good progress, but still a very long way to go. Plus I haven't had much time lately to catch Pokémon /sadface
holy **** that is a lot of pokébank

do you even get anything for completing national dex in SM? not that some people need a reward to motivate them I guess, haha.

The only reward you get is satisfaction. And endless fun in the pokedex section of pokebank.

In other news, I am spending 400 years on catching a Koffing in Stark Mountain. I am failing so much because I can't faint Buck's Claydol, and it just Psychics every Koffing I see.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
The only reward you get is satisfaction. And endless fun in the pokedex section of pokebank.

In other news, I am spending 400 years on catching a Koffing in Stark Mountain. I am failing so much because I can't faint Buck's Claydol, and it just Psychics every Koffing I see.
Oh god the agony of trying to catch things when you're stuck with a partner trainer. I haven't played DPPt in a while, but I remember the days. Good luck getting a Koffing! I was surprised to learn that that's the only place you can find them in Platinum.

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
One of the things I've noticed while completing my Alolan 'dex is just how useful the GTS can be! There are some Pokemon that are HUGE in demand -- usually Pokemon that are trade evos -- but there are some others that are wanted too like I think fossil evolutions, Ultra Beasts and certain other Pokemon as well. I bet if you chained some useless shiny and GTS'd it for a 'mon you needed for your dex, that would work, too. :x

Definitely. Ever since Gen VI, it's been relatively easy to complete the pokedex. You could chain-fish a shiny in about 5-10 minutes, or run around the Friend Safari for an hour, and get just about any pokemon you want. You just have to know how valuable something is based on the Pokemon available at the time. Before Bank came out for Sun/Moon, Castforms were relatively valuable and I managed to get a couple of Ultra Beasts using it. back in X/Y before bank, I managed a couple of hard to get pokemon using Rotom. Now, you're gonna have to work a bit harder for better trades.

In other news; I managed to catch all naturally occuring pokemon in the wild and I started to work on Evolutionary stones and Fossils. The Underground gave me some of the worst RNG possible. It took me ~4 to 5 hours for a Skull Fossil, which is uncommon, yet I managed to get 2 Odd Keystones, which are very rare.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
I have had so little time lately to complete my dex so it's still hovering at just over half done, but at very least I will attempt to get myself a Luvdisc today to add to the list ^^

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Evolving Pokemon is the slowest part of making a living dex; most pokemon need about 20-30 levels which is about 1-2 runs of the elite four. Gen VI has ruined me with the exp.share. Instead of just turning it on, and running through the Elite Four, I have to watch the levels of my pokemon and strategically switch the exp.share between a couple pokemon. It's made evolving pokemon so much worse, especially stuff like Dragonair and Pupitar. Thankfully, Deino isn't in Platinum, otherwise I'd proibably have to run the Elite 4 about 5 more times.

Anyway, I've still got a couple pokemon before the living dex is done. I've gotta breed the starters, then evolve them, then just tying up loose ends.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
Years
  • Age 42
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 9, 2021
Evolving Pokemon is the slowest part of making a living dex; most pokemon need about 20-30 levels which is about 1-2 runs of the elite four. Gen VI has ruined me with the exp.share. Instead of just turning it on, and running through the Elite Four, I have to watch the levels of my pokemon and strategically switch the exp.share between a couple pokemon. It's made evolving pokemon so much worse, especially stuff like Dragonair and Pupitar. Thankfully, Deino isn't in Platinum, otherwise I'd proibably have to run the Elite 4 about 5 more times.

Anyway, I've still got a couple pokemon before the living dex is done. I've gotta breed the starters, then evolve them, then just tying up loose ends.

Do Blissey bases on OR/AS its much nicer than elite 4 runs and you're not locked in to completing the whole lot.

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Do Blissey bases on OR/AS its much nicer than elite 4 runs and you're not locked in to completing the whole lot.

*kinda ranty*
To be honest, I prefer doing E-4 runs in ORAS. I put my Mega-Rayquaza in the front and 5 random pokemon to grind up and just run through it. When my pokemon hits its evolution level, I switch it to the front and let it faint. It'll still evolve, but it just won't get anymore unnecessary experience. If all my pokemon have evolved, I can just end it easily as Mega Rayquaza has low enough defenses to be fainted pretty easily. If I faint, I just end up back at the league, and can go straight back in without having to fly to another location.

Sure, I can do all of those things with Blissey bases, but paradoxically, they give too much experience. I like my pokemon to stay at their evolved levels, e.g./ Kadabras at Lvl16 or Feraligatrs at Lvl30. The E-4 gives enough experience to get there, but not too much to overshoot it. Meanwhile if I go to a Blissey-base, I could potentially, especially for a low-level pokemon, overshoot the evolution level by 5-10 levels, maybe even more. Also they're spread out, as secret bases are all over the place. They're also not infinite, though there's so much experience that you probably don't need to go to every Blissey Base, I'm just gonna go to the E-4 afterwards anyway, so why not just be there all the time?

Also, I just like going through the E-4 with Mega-Ray. Destroying every pokemon with a 1HKO is pretty satisfying. It's also less bland then blisseys over and over again, I guess.
*end kind ranty thing*

Anyway, I think I'm pretty much done with my Platinum Dex; The only pokemon I had left were Munchlax and Snorlax, because Honey Trees, but I gave in and just transferred a Snorlax from Leaf Green. I might go back and do some more honey trees, but for now, it's good enough for me.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Most of you are probably far ahead of me anyways, but I've got my Alola Dex to around 80% completion! Spent much of today and last night working on it, and this means a lot considering that given how few Pokémon I catch in most games, I typically complete no more than 20% of the dex, tops.

Maybe I'll be able to get 100% this week! (:

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
I'm in!

Name/Nickname: Mawa
Current Progress: I am in class right now I'll edit this later
Any other information you'd like to include: My project of Living Dex for Sun: On. My project for shiny (non-living) Dex on Y: on hold.

How is completing the dex in Sun / Moon going? Are you finding it more or less fun than previous generations? If you've already completed it, how long did it take you?

I want to complete my Pokedex but I am also breeding and training some Pokemon. I know my Dex is gonna take time, and it's alright. Still have to make a list of the Pokemon I have, the Pokemon I can have and those I need. I already completed my Pokedex for Y but now I kinda want a living Dex, or at least having all the last evolutions (I can breed them later). With Pokebank I can store them for the next games (if I don't pay for bank for a year will I lose my pokemon or just can't access them?).

I'll start with completing the regional Pokedex in Sun and then I'll move to the National Dex. I like breeding too and I don't have that much time to do many trades so I know it's a long-time project.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
I'm in!

Name/Nickname: Mawa
Current Progress: I am in class right now I'll edit this later
Any other information you'd like to include: My project of Living Dex for Sun: On. My project for shiny (non-living) Dex on Y: on hold.

How is completing the dex in Sun / Moon going? Are you finding it more or less fun than previous generations? If you've already completed it, how long did it take you?

I want to complete my Pokedex but I am also breeding and training some Pokemon. I know my Dex is gonna take time, and it's alright. Still have to make a list of the Pokemon I have, the Pokemon I can have and those I need. I already completed my Pokedex for Y but now I kinda want a living Dex, or at least having all the last evolutions (I can breed them later). With Pokebank I can store them for the next games (if I don't pay for bank for a year will I lose my pokemon or just can't access them?).

I'll start with completing the regional Pokedex in Sun and then I'll move to the National Dex. I like breeding too and I don't have that much time to do many trades so I know it's a long-time project.
Welcome Mawa! (:
Just working on completing the regional dex in SM for the first time has opened my eyes to how vastly more difficult it sounds to do a living dex, ahah. Good luck if you do decide to start it.

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
Welcome Mawa! (:
Just working on completing the regional dex in SM for the first time has opened my eyes to how vastly more difficult it sounds to do a living dex, ahah. Good luck if you do decide to start it.

Thanks! With Pokebank it's easier tho. I kept all the Pokemon I catched in Y and in ORAS so I have a good base I think.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
Years
  • Age 42
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 9, 2021
With Pokebank I can store them for the next games (if I don't pay for bank for a year will I lose my pokemon or just can't access them?).

Heya Mawa!

I'm not sure how long they'd keep your account active for honestly, a year maybe pushing it but they definitely don't clear anything out straight away. I've gone without paying for a few weeks at most and you lose access but everything was as it was when I re-subbed.

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
Heya Mawa!

I'm not sure how long they'd keep your account active for honestly, a year maybe pushing it but they definitely don't clear anything out straight away. I've gone without paying for a few weeks at most and you lose access but everything was as it was when I re-subbed.

Not getting access while I don't pay is alright, I just don't want to lose them you know? Like r-subscribe later and they are all gone D:

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
Years
  • Age 42
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 9, 2021
Not getting access while I don't pay is alright, I just don't want to lose them you know? Like r-subscribe later and they are all gone D:

This is the reason I bought a powersaves to 'backup' my entire living dex to bank and across both my cartridges. Backup save in powersaves, copy up to bank then restore save from powersaves and voila.

I'd hate to lose it after all that work if a cartridge died or I didn't pay for bank for a while.

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
I don't know about getting a Powersave... I like being old fashioned hehe but it can be usefull, I do breed a lot and ev train, more than actual battles...

Soon I'll check my dex and see what's missing there! I know there's a lot, but hey!! I have many evolutionary stones, so if anyone want to trade me some evolutions for my pokedex (they don't have to bee good at all, I only want the copy of the Pokemon) I can give some stones in return!

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
Years
  • Age 42
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 9, 2021
I don't know about getting a Powersave... I like being old fashioned hehe but it can be usefull, I do breed a lot and ev train, more than actual battles...

WEll as you know I breed all my own and EV train etc the old fashioned way but I love having a backup copy of all my mons.

Wobb

Wynaut
Years
Name/Nickname: Wobb
Current Progress: 587/802
Any other information you'd like to include: I'm doing a Living Pokedex. I haven't completed the Alola Pokedex yet, but I probably will soon. I just finished with Gen 1 in my Living Dex after my friend gave me his Mew, and now I'm mostly done with Gen 2, just missing 14 Pokemon from Gen 2 now.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
Years
  • Age 42
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 9, 2021
Any other information you'd like to include: I'm doing a Living Pokedex. I haven't completed the Alola Pokedex yet, but I probably will soon. I just finished with Gen 1 in my Living Dex after my friend gave me his Mew, and now I'm mostly done with Gen 2, just missing 14 Pokemon from Gen 2 now.

Welcome and sounds like you're progressing nicely. Interesting you're working on things in generation order, I just generally did it randomly catching everything I could then did the breeding/trade evolutions once id caught all i could.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Nice work! I believe I saw you talking about this in Discord the other day. I have added you to the members list :)

Back