• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Gary's Mod (Beta 2 Released!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen May 9, 2023
I just finished the beta and thought it would only be proper to report my findings and thoughts. First the bugs. I know some of these have been mentioned before, but for completion's sake, I will list everything I found.

1. When poison wears off at 1 HP while walking around (which functions correctly) after the message about surviving the poison, it will show the text from Mr. Fuji's diary

2. When reviving the Helix fossil, I talked to the guy immediately after giving it to him and he said it was ready (which I figured was a joke about how long it takes to review e Pokemon fossils) but my party was full. When I came back I got the "it's not ready yet" message and I had to leave and come back again to get my Omanyte.

3. Wild encounter rate drops to almost 0 while a fossil is being revived.

4. There is a stone on the outer edge of the first new screen of Mt. Moon that you can step on. I may get a picture later if I remember to.

5. There are 5 NPC's in Celadon City that have no interaction: a girl in the department store, the Poliwhirl outside the developer building, and the three Pokemon surrounding the old lady who gives you the tea in vanilla.

6. There are 2 signs on the cycling route that read gibberish.

7. The link cable item causes some funky issues. First let me state that it does function as I was able to evolve my Haunter and Kadabra with them. However, once you move the cursor past it in the menu, item descriptions and their icons disappear. You can back out and it returns to normal or if you try to select an item it will softlock. In battle, it causes a soft lock to move the cursor past the link cable no matter what.

8. Initially I had no trouble getting through the rocket base. When I came back through at the end sweeping for hidden items, no matter which arrow panel I stepped on, I would move one space before stopping and it would be soft locked. No idea what caused it or even how to fix it as resets weren't fixing it.

9. Some Pokemon don't appear in the Pokedex's listing for where they are if they are found in areas not in the vanilla game. I'm not sure exactly what triggers this as some Pokemon do show up, but I suspect it is Pokemon that ONLY show up in the new area and not in the surrounding vanilla areas.

10. After trading my Fearow for the Slowpoke on SS Anne, the little girl who wanted a Butterfree for a Beedrill acted like I had already traded her (I am 100% certain I had not as I actually tried to do both at the same time). Nothing would reset this bug.

11. When foes use Mega Evolution, the animation goes off but the sprite does not change. The next Pokemon they bring out, regardless what it is, will have the Mega Evolution's sprite. Pokemon after that are normal. The Mega itself seems to function correctly aside from this graphical error.

12. And last, several sprites aren't implemented and Blue reverts back to Red for those sprites.

Now for my final thoughts.

I love the concept of this hack. The new areas are pretty well done and the changes to the story fit in a way that really makes sense with Red's encounters with Blue in the vanilla game. There are also several nice bits where good attention to detail was made, such as retroactively adding Red's name to the winner list of Gyms periodically and Blue bragging about his number of Pokemon caught on SS Anne being the actual number of Pokemon you have caught up to that point. I'm not so much a fan of the working for Giovanni subplot and implied corruption of the Oak family. Perhaps the ending of it will change my mind, but Blue and the Oaks aren't criminals. I'm not saying there's no way they would ever do Giovanni's bidding, but it feels like it should be a more reluctant agreeance to do so. All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed this hack and I'm currently working on filling the Pokedex as well as I can and I hope to be able to play beta 3 before long.

Last edited:

TD013

8 badges in Kanto, I have 10
Years
  • Seen Mar 20, 2022
Interesting idea. I'm always a big fan of the rival, so this hack speaks to me. Once completed, I'll be back to test it out. Hope this hack continues! Good luck.

Sky the Shiny Vulpix

Top Percentage of Ratattas
Years
Does anyone have a walkthrough for this hack? I've been playing Gary's mod for awhile and made it as far as Saffron City. I'm stuck and I have been trying to figure out how to access Saffron City. Does anyone have any tips or am I doing something wrong? I did the pan flute side quest but Mr Fuji took the pan flute. I'm stuck. Can I get some help here?

Years
Does anyone have a walkthrough for this hack? I've been playing Gary's mod for awhile and made it as far as Saffron City. I'm stuck and I have been trying to figure out how to access Saffron City. Does anyone have any tips or am I doing something wrong? I did the pan flute side quest but Mr Fuji took the pan flute. I'm stuck. Can I get some help here?

quiet, you're not making any mistakes, you just got to the end of the hack, you'll have to wait for the next part

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 1, 2020
u did not think of a remastered version with new graphics? different from fire red

PkmnTrainerKonner

PkmnTrainer
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
Where can I get the coin case? It's not in the Celadon restaurant. Sorry if this has been asked before.

Years
I was wondering the same thing this is definitely up there in my top 5 fav hacks. I know developing a hack is beyond time consuming and difficult though but hopefully this one eventually gets finished.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 11, 2020
Great Hack, loved it so far, sadly looks like Beta 3 Will never Come out. Great potential missed.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 9, 2019
in one of the houses in fusciau, there is a fisher, talk to him he'll give you a rod. talk to him again and battle him. once defeated he'll give it to you

I wasn't aware of this, thanks for pointing that out; there's another way of getting a blastoise, after you beat the gym leader in vermillion city there's a fisher guy looking around in the middle of the passage way towards the pokemon center and road towards the SS Anne whatever. He's looking for a strong pokemon trainer that's capable of taking care of a squirtke he found and after you beat the gym leader he will give it to you. So really you can train a squirtke and evolve him through battle and water stone and/or beat the fisher man later on in the story.

I arrived at a point in history when I can not go on: I beat mr. fuji and the other old, and I managed to get the poke flute: but I can not go to saffron city, because the old has not yet prepared the tea: is there anything else I need to do first ??

I know this is 3 years too late, but I stopped playing rom hacks about 6 years ago. The last one I ever played before that was Light Platinum Version and another one where you get to be a member of Team Rocket I forgot what it's called. Before that I had played and beaten most of the original game boy/advance pokemon games and kinda was over my pokemon phase. I felt I had all the fun I could have and had caught every pokemon I dreamed of catching (Lugia, hoohoo, legendaries ect) and the tirelessly beat The Elite Four even after sevvi isles and even the rematches became a cake walk after a few times. I started using the battles as a means to power up pokemon. It was stupidly easy for me and it got boring.

THAT WAS UNTIL I RANDOMLY CAME ACROSS A VIDEO SHOWING THE USER PLAYING AS GARY OAK!!! I did some research found the latest gba download, It took me back to my pokemon fire red days playing on the gba. The concept of playing as Ash's Rival is brilliant... Because in all the versions he's always one step ahead of you. In every gym his name is written as the fisrt guy who beat the gym leader before you did, he explored places before you did, he was at the SS Anne before you did, he was at the Team Rocket base in Celadon and the Lavender Town Tower (WHICH BY THE WAY TEH BLAZER I LOVED WHAT YOU DID WITH THE CATACOMBS IT WAS GENIUS!!!) IT WAS FUN, IT WAS DIFFERENT AND SO COOL THE WAY GARY GOES UNNOTICED AS THE REAL HERO OF THE POKÉMON SERIES BECAUSE WE NEVER SAW EVERYTHING HE DID. I leveled up my pokemon like crazy, beat every gym leader on the fisrt try, including the rivals, like Ashter or whatever his name was, the old sages at Mt. Lax it was a cool concept having the opportunity to help Giovanni being his nephew, and going on exploring new regions and sites ash never visited. I'm stuck now Teh Blazer!!! I just recked Koga and I mean I recked him with one pokemon. But I can't enter Safari Zone where I planned to catch a ton of pokemon to help me get the items I need from oaks aides. I have an Umbreon level 42, Gyrados lvl 43, Dragonair lvl 33 (and would be Dragonite had I been able to continue) and could've gotten the blastoise now that I found out it was possible by beating a fisher in fusciau (I already had a wartorte lvl 28 in someone's pc ;)

P. S. I read all the conversations, and totally understood the pokemon and chill reference at Celadon Hotel 😂👍

TEH BLAZER PLEASE RELEASE VERSION 3 AT LEAST!!! THIS IS BY FAR THE GREATEST ROM HACK I'VE EVER PLAYED IN POKÉMON, BETTER THAN LIGHT PLATNIUM WHICH WAS BRILLIANT AND there's another one where you get to play as a Team Rocket Member, I forgot the name of that rom. This was 6 Million times better and it's a real bummer you gave up on this project... Did you lose your passion? Why did you stop ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back