• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: HexManiacAdvance: A New Hex Editor for Gen 3 Hacking

Years
The same problem was occurred in the Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit version with .NET Framework 4.8.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2020-10-25 21_40_44-HexManiacAdvance.png
    2020-10-25 21_40_44-HexManiacAdvance.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 4,720
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 15, 2020
I was happy to finally find a tool, that would give me access to add more Pokémon to Battle Frontier trainers' rosters in Emerald (PGE only lets you to edit trainers' current roster but not add/remove them). However I found soon a problem (see the screenshot):
HMA seems to only show first 100 trainers (all "pre-evolution" ones) in "data.battlefrontier.trainers" section and there are supposed to be 300 trainers in total. Where and how I can find the rest of the trainers?

Attachments

• HexManiacAdvance screenshot.PNG
    HexManiacAdvance screenshot.PNG
    31.4 KB · Views: 21
Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
I was happy to finally find a tool, that would give me access to add more Pokémon to Battle Frontier trainers' rosters in Emerald (PGE only lets you to edit trainers' current roster but not add/remove them). However I found soon a problem (see the screenshot):
HMA seems to only show first 100 trainers (all "pre-evolution" ones) in "data.battlefrontier.trainers" section and there are supposed to be 300 trainers in total. Where and how I can find the rest of the trainers?

After it generates the toml file, open it in a text editor and edit the values.
[[NamedAnchors]]
Name = '''data.battlefrontier.trainers'''
Address = 0x5D5ACC
Format = '''[facilityclass::data.battlefrontier.trainerclass trainername""8 before1:|h before2:|h before3:|h before4:|h before5:|h before6:|h win1:|h win2:|h win3:|h win4:|h win5:|h win6:|h lose1:|h lose2:|h lose3:|h lose4:|h lose5:|h lose6:|h teamoptions<[pokemon:data.battlefrontier.pokemon]!FFFF>]100'''
At the end before ''' change 100

Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
How do you use the "Update" Function, it's greyed out.
How do you edit shiny odds with this?
Really like the image editor. Is there a grid view function in the image editor? (If not pls add one)

Can u also add a starter editor? I know. Just change those bytes. But it's annoying to do all those stuff because I am lazy.
Overall, AWESOME Tool!!!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 15, 2020
After it generates the toml file, open it in a text editor and edit the values.
[[NamedAnchors]]
Name = '''data.battlefrontier.trainers'''
Address = 0x5D5ACC
Format = '''[facilityclass::data.battlefrontier.trainerclass trainername""8 before1:|h before2:|h before3:|h before4:|h before5:|h before6:|h win1:|h win2:|h win3:|h win4:|h win5:|h win6:|h lose1:|h lose2:|h lose3:|h lose4:|h lose5:|h lose6:|h teamoptions<[pokemon:data.battlefrontier.pokemon]!FFFF>]100'''
At the end before ''' change 100

Thank you. Text editor made its magic and I can now finally edit other Frontier trainers properly. Before this, I was trying to copy and paste pointer values of the rosters from PGE to HMA for editing, which didn't work (it should be working now). PGE even crashed and made Frontier data unreadable, when I tried to copy and paste new pointer values to it from HMA (luckily I had backup). At least I have written up all original 300 pointer values in case I need them. It took me several hours, but it was worth it.

Anyway, I'm going to have fun with improving Battle Frontier. I even have made very own "must-do list" for it:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
I have Visual Studio Community 2015 installed, I don't know how to proceed.

Open the solution (sln) in visual studio goto build>build solution, after a successful build go to artifacts>hexmaniacadvance>bin>debug>Hexmaniacadvance.exe

(After building it said the version is 0.3.8.2?)

Last edited:

haven1433

Modder / Programmer
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 16, 2024
@LyKo @Neon Skylar @jirachiwishmaker
Thanks to help from LkKo, I was able to figure out what the Windows 7 issue was and fix it :) Version 0.3.9 should be released soon and be able to run on Windows 7.

@Superleaf03
Thanks for finding the issue with the emerald battle frontier trainers! I'll update it to correctly show all 300 by default in the next version.

@MASON SHU
Update function: The update function is grayed out unless there is a new update on the main website. If it's greyed out, that means you probably have the latest version.
Editing shiny odds: Edit -> Goto -> scripts.shiny.odds. This will show you all the places where the game uses the constant. If you change any of them, the others will update automatically.
Starter Editor: I may add a starter editor for Ruby / Sapphire / Emerald, since it's kind of a special thing in those games. But I don't want to add one in FR/LG since it's handled by scripts, and such an editor would be needlessly limiting to people who want to change how the oak encounter works.

@Marrinara_Sauce
There is a 'find' feature, but not a find and replace. Can you give me an example of how you would use a 'find and replace' feature in the context of rom hacking?

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 27, 2020
How can i change the shiny odds?
Edit: in this case, wich variable should i change to increase the odds to find a shiny?

Last edited:

haven1433

Modder / Programmer
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 16, 2024
Vityd, you can change the shiny odds by changing the value of scripts.shiny.odds. An easy way to find it would be to type "shiny odds" into the goto control when the app opens. If you raise the number up to 250 or so, you will have about a 1/1000 chance of hitting a shiny.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 15, 2024
So I'm trying to use the dex reorder feature nd the UI only shows up to dewgong, I'm using an expanded rom, vanilla works fine.
is there something I need to edit? if so, what and how please?

Using PGE to reorder would take hours, I was planning on doing it with this UI because it's more dynamic.

Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
So I'm trying to use the dex reorder feature nd the UI only shows up to dewgong, I'm using an expanded rom, vanilla works fine.
is there something I need to edit? if so, what and how please?

Using PGE to reorder would take hours, I was planning on doing it with this UI because it's more dynamic.

When you go to data.pokemon.names does it also show up to dewgong only?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 15, 2024
No, it reads up to Venusaur in that.

My rom works fine BTW, so does all the pokemon, so this a case of incompatibility with the editor's preset offsets because everything is repointed in my rom.

Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
No, it reads up to Venusaur in that.

My rom works fine BTW, so does all the pokemon, so this a case of incompatibility with the editor's preset offsets because everything is repointed in my rom.

It should generate toml file when opening the rom. Opeb it in a text editor and edit the values.

Back