• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Plot Bunny Thread

Is Fire Emblem: Conjoinst Souls something that you'd be interested in reading?

• Yes

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Well, I've got two people on Bulbagarden hooked on the idea.

Yeah, but that's Bulbagarden. *shot*

Seriously, though, if you want there to be Cyrus x Giratina, then by all means, write Cyrus x Giratina. We can't really tell you not to go after a pairing, and we can't really help you go for it (in this thread, anyway) if you don't tell us what you want to do with it. After all, this is the plot bunny thread. You kinda have to have an actual plot to help us out with our end here.

As for the pairing itself, sure, there's possibility. There's possibilities for all kinds of hilarity, angst, whatever-floats-your-boat with the shipping in the list. My advice is, though, to just go ahead and post a one-shot to test the waters and figure out how the chemistry between both characters works. Curious shippers might check out your story, and bam. Instant advertising for more one-shots, a longer fic, or the pairing in general.

Dragonite Ernston

I rival Lance's.
Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2016
Seriously, though, if you want there to be Cyrus x Giratina, then by all means, write Cyrus x Giratina. We can't really tell you not to go after a pairing, and we can't really help you go for it (in this thread, anyway) if you don't tell us what you want to do with it. After all, this is the plot bunny thread. You kinda have to have an actual plot to help us out with our end here.

Alright. Well, it was supposed to be a one-shot about their experiences in the Distortion World, being the only... well, beings there. And how, you know, after a long enough time spent stuck together by themselves, something would come between them. Perhaps Cyrus gains a heart or something.

Anyway, I am planning on writing something like this myself. I just wondered if anybody else liked the idea.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Alright. Well, it was supposed to be a one-shot about their experiences in the Distortion World, being the only... well, beings there. And how, you know, after a long enough time spent stuck together by themselves, something would come between them. Perhaps Cyrus gains a heart or something.

Anyway, I am planning on writing something like this myself. I just wondered if anybody else liked the idea.

Still sorta vague because it can go either way. You can either have Cyrus just brooding endlessly, or you can do awesome things. (For example, I saw this pairing once on a kink meme. The author had Cyrus transform into Zekrom via Giratina's powers. It was kinda amazing.)

The reason why it's really hard to say whether or not a pairing can work is because the pairing itself doesn't make or break a fic. Sure, it might not be everyone's cuppa. For example, I don't particularly care for the idea of Cyrus and Giratina being in a mutually romantic relationship because I'm not that into Pokémon x human... unless, I guess, one of them is turning into a Zekrom, but hey. It's a similar notion to not everyone being into same-sex pairings. For some people, it wouldn't interest them, no matter how awesome the plot idea was, but that shouldn't really stop you from doing it. After all, when you write a shippy fic, you're not catering to the people who just wouldn't like it because of what they think of interspecies relationships or sexual orientation or whatever. You're catering to the people who would give it a chance, and trust me, there's always going to be people who give pairings like that a chance. Let's face it. If no one gave a crap about that pairing, it wouldn't be on the shipping list in the first place, right?

But back to the point. Pairings don't make or break a fic itself. It's all in what you do with it -- how you handle the plot (if there is one in the case of smut), how you handle the details, and most importantly, how you handle the characters. Namely, treat them as in-character as you can, have them react exactly as they would to a relationship, make the shift in characterization seem natural, that sort of thing.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that a pairing is not a plot and that every pairing has the potential to be interesting to someone. You just have to take a risk and do something with it, and whether or not it works depends on how you handle the characters and their relationship with each other.

Dragonite Ernston

I rival Lance's.
Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2016
I guess what I'm trying to say is that a pairing is not a plot and that every pairing has the potential to be interesting to someone. You just have to take a risk and do something with it, and whether or not it works depends on how you handle the characters and their relationship with each other.

Ah well. Perhaps I just have the wrong idea of what a plot bunny actually is.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Ah well. Perhaps I just have the wrong idea of what a plot bunny actually is.

Oh, it's a bit complicated. A plot bunny is basically a story concept. For example, this would be a plot bunny:

"Holy crap! I have this idea about Ash going to get a gallon of milk, but Brock normally buys the milk for the group. So, Ash has no idea how the entire thing works, and shenanigans happen. And I've had it in my head for awhile, and it won't go away."

Notice how the above quote describes what the story is actually about and not just who's involved or what the loose concept is? Basically, a plot bunny is that, particularly if it either refuses to leave your mind or grows into a larger story. (A bunny itself is generally a very loose plot idea. You have the "what happens in this story" part down, but it doesn't have the full shape it would have in a full-fledged story.)

Or, in shorter terms, it's a plot bunny if it answers the question, "What is this story about?" Just having a pairing only answers the question, "Who's in this story?"

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
a little more plans with my fanfic,
should i make Phoenix and Layton and they company meet inside the hotel as guests?

my ideas are a couple of posts above, so i don't have to repeat myself

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
a little more plans with my fanfic,
should i make Phoenix and Layton and they company meet inside the hotel as guests?

my ideas are a couple of posts above, so i don't have to repeat myself
That'll work. You can pick one team or the other to write about in the beginning. Like, say, Layton and his company are traveling around when they arrive to the town. Looking for a place to stay, they go to the hotel and see Phoenix and his company in the common room. They don't really meet then, but both sides pay attention to one another (since that's what they do). Once the mystery starts, Layton talks to his company to try and figure out what happened. Phoenix and friends overhear him, and the two sides decide to join forces to solve the mystery.

That's how I picture it happening. You might have something different in mind, but to me, this works better and shows what both sides can do.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
That'll work. You can pick one team or the other to write about in the beginning. Like, say, Layton and his company are traveling around when they arrive to the town. Looking for a place to stay, they go to the hotel and see Phoenix and his company in the common room. They don't really meet then, but both sides pay attention to one another (since that's what they do). Once the mystery starts, Layton talks to his company to try and figure out what happened. Phoenix and friends overhear him, and the two sides decide to join forces to solve the mystery.

That's how I picture it happening. You might have something different in mind, but to me, this works better and shows what both sides can do.

i was kinda thinking that while in the hotel Twin A is overcome by Twin B and she takes Flora and Maya (or maybe someone else not in Layton or AA), thinking one of them is her sister.

Then the two parties intervene to help save them both (with a puzzle inbetween) they find Maya and Flora strapped into chairs and Twin B shines a light on them, realizing neither are Twin A, so she runs away and then one more puzzle and they flee from the hotel. (it's about one o'clock, so they try to find somewhere to stay).

They both go to a hotel and stay there (they become friends), then the next morning Pheonix groggily answers his phone, where he finds out he has to defend the woman. The person on the phone (anonymous) states that it's not the girls fault and hangs up. Pheonix takes the job and Layton offers to help him with his case.

Pheonix agrees and they go back to the hotel in the day to investigate.
Some clues they find are;
A diary with different names as entrants;
A photo frame with Twin A and Twin B;
Second Investigation
A phonebook with 'Mum' in it;
The room with the machine;
A safe with the electrical cord used to strangle the father;
"Lady at the funeral words" (where she says a limozine went missing with a coffin in it a day before Twin B's death, the mother returned shortly after with it. Also that the twins death wasn't open casket, which is strange as it is a family tradition of theirs to have it.)

And they find the mothers house and realize that the twins mother killed the father, as what really happened is the mother sold her husbands research and forced him to experiment on the twins. She would say she would murder them as a threat to the father, so he went along with the experiments. The day when Twin B died sent the father insane. When the mother got home she took the father to a mental hospital.

The people at the mental hospital rang and notified the mother that the father had been screaming that: "It wasn't his fault, it was her, she did it!", the mother realised that he meant her and the death of Twin B. So she took her husband out of the mental place for a day and killed him (need to find a way where a clue can be left, i'm thinking she took her back to the place where the experiment took place, strangling him with the cords of the machine). Then on the day before the funeral for the Twin, she took the limozine and placed the body in with Twin B. The funeral took place as planned, no one the wiser.

--

I know i said before the Twin was buried under a false name, but i changed it to she had a funeral, but her father was also placed in the same coffin as her.
I just need some more clues so they don't just take jumps in logic and complete the puzzle with missing pieces.

Bay

Years
"Holy crap! I have this idea about Ash going to get a gallon of milk, but Brock normally buys the milk for the group. So, Ash has no idea how the entire thing works, and shenanigans happen. And I've had it in my head for awhile, and it won't go away."
Dang it Jax, now I want to write a story base on that plot bunny! XD;

But yeah Dragonite Ernston, Jax is right about shipping stories. Plot, details, and the characters are the main things to make sure you're doing it right. One of the main problems shipping fics have is that the characters not being themselves when they're in a relationship. I know when I did my first shipping story (for a different fandom) not long ago, I was pulling my hair over if I did the characters right, oi.

As for your Giratina/Cyrus idea, I'm actually interested over how you're handle the paring. What you have so far is vague, but hey, it's a start! Perhaps you can think of a few situational ideas what would spark the two of them to have an interest with one another (like the Cyrus transform to Zekrom idea Jax mentioned and needs to link me to that kink meme story)?

And Impo, sorry for not responding to your idea. I'm not too familiar with Ace Attorney nor Professor Layton, so I can't help you there. D: I'm sure many people will be interested in that crossover, though!

Last edited:

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
And Impo, sorry for not responding to your idea. I'm not too familiar with Ace Attorney nor Professor Layton, so I can't help you there. D: I'm sure many people will be interested in that crossover, though!

thats ok :)

i just need to know if it makes sense xD

Otherworld9)

Bard of Rage
Years
  • Age 27
  • honk
  • Seen Jan 5, 2014
Ideas

Well, I got this idea that ain't getting off my head, so I wrote a story on it. I'm unsure wether to post it on the fanfic or not, mostly because I'm a beginner at writing and maybe might need better grammar and such.....but what makes me doubt my writing being read is the fact that is takes place in the digimon world, from a digimon's point a view.

To put it simple, do you think a story of a human that turned into a digimon, not a human for a VERY long time, will be a good idea? I got relatives that like it so far...only a very few though. Any tips or suggestions?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
There's not much to say without more information on the plot. It would be interesting to see a fic where a human turns into a Digimon, but that's not a lot to go with. If you mention what happens in the rest of your plot, then we can give you more help.

Otherworld9)

Bard of Rage
Years
  • Age 27
  • honk
  • Seen Jan 5, 2014
DIGIMON

There's not much to say without more information on the plot. It would be interesting to see a fic where a human turns into a Digimon, but that's not a lot to go with. If you mention what happens in the rest of your plot, then we can give you more help.

Well, I hope you understand it since it involves in digimon, so this is most of it.
Atina woke up being a Lopmon, not knowing why she did nor how or when she did. As she lives/experiences the life of a digimon, then she realizes how fun it actually is, and dangerous.

The plot that drives the story is that when she became a digimon, somehow this affected a sovereign digimon, Zhuquiomon, into madness. Azulongmon, the one of the east and spring, makes his hench men to help her by letting her join to make other digimon not know of her existence and ruin the digital world, yet Zhuquiomon, driven by the sudden madness, wants to capture her via any means necessary.

Theres more, but i'd give away too much. I got more background plots(if you call it like that).

Years
I need help with my plot

I have to make this quick, so I have this basic plot:

A boy in Ecruteak City receives a Pokemon for his birthday, and is pushed out of his comfortable world to traverse the world of Pokemon.

And..that's it. I can't add nothing to it or otherwise I get disappointed in it, or think it doesn't look very good to me, and if I take anything away it seems it's lacking.

So...what should I do?

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Merged this with the plot bunny thread as that is what this thread is for - giving advice on story plot ideas. =p

By itself it seems to be a good starting point, and in fact if what you are worried about is whether is interesting enough as-is then it actually can be fine, a simple Pokemon journey story without 'saving the world' or whatnot, as long as the story is well-written, the characters are believable, and so forth.

Anyway, one way to add to a story idea is to consider why or how the world/characters will react to an event. For instance, you mentioned that he 'is pushed out of his comfortable world' - how does the main character respond to the sudden change then? Does he embrace the challenge, or does he somewhat wimp out or fail to for instance set up a tent when he fails to get to the nearest city by nightfall? How would his Pokemon react to him doing so? Try building off points like that - maybe that will help. Check out the 2nd post in this thread as well, maybe something there will help you.

Impo

Playhouse Pokemon
Years
I have a sequel prepared for my Layton fanfic, just posting it for no reason.
It is based on the city of Atlantis, but takes a different route than the mermaids fable.

Professor Layton and the Sunken City

Professor Layton and Luke are aiding Dr Shrader with his underwater research when they stumble upon the city of Atlantis. They explore and find all the people of the city still in their homes, very peaceful: as if they knew they were going to drown. They also took back some samples of soil back to Dr Shrader, which he announces has some very strange substances in it.
Why did the whole population of this city die, accepting their fate in the process?
How does this strange substance found in the soil relate to this?

Explanation
Spoiler:

so, critique, comments, please?

Years
I have a sequel prepared for my Layton fanfic, just posting it for no reason.
It is based on the city of Atlantis, but takes a different route than the mermaids fable.

Professor Layton and the Sunken City

Professor Layton and Luke are aiding Dr Shrader with his underwater research when they stumble upon the city of Atlantis. They explore and find all the people of the city still in their homes, very peaceful: as if they knew they were going to drown. They also took back some samples of soil back to Dr Shrader, which he announces has some very strange substances in it.
Why did the whole population of this city die, accepting their fate in the process?
How does this strange substance found in the soil relate to this?

Explanation
Spoiler:

so, critique, comments, please?
Well, the whole plots seems interesting and I'd love to read. As for your question, I've a question for you too. Do you want the city to be sunk via natural means or the citizens purposely caused their country to sink? If it's the first option, well maybe an earthquake of 8.8 or a deadly tsunami could complete the job. I'm not sure how the people could sink the city, it would take a long long time.

Years
Opinions on my plot ideas?

Hi, I'm kinda new here but I'm trying to start a Pokemon fic.

It's going to be people-based rather than Pokemon-based (so no Pokemorph, Pokemon p.o.v, etc.) and it's going to be femslash, so if you have a problem with that, I guess this is your warning.

My two MCs are:

Jessica, who works for Mr. Fuji in Lavender Town and returns the bones of Pokemon to their original homes so their souls can be reborn. (There is a Pokemon legend saying that when a Pokemon's bones are buried in their 'homeland' or where they were caught, that Pokemon will be reborn.) Jessica doesn't quite believes it but wants it to be true.

Her pokemon are Pidgeot and Furret

Quinn, who I'm not quite sure who she is yet. Originally she was going to be a full fledged Rocket member who trained the incoming Pokemon given to the Grunts. She was going to have the stereotypical 'Don't eff with me' no nonsense personality. Now she's transformed to a druggie who works for Rocket as a kind of messenger girl, who traffics their drugs between Johto and Kanto.

Her personality has mellowed considerably and now is more reserved rather than stoic, with a wry sense of humor. Quinn grew up in Ecruteak City and because of that, she is well versed in Pokemon legends. She ran away from home when she got into the Rocket circle. She only has one Pokemon, a Growlithe.

Since there are no mentions of drugs in Pokemon canon, I have created my own idea of one, from Schuckle Juice. When the juice in a Schuckle's shell matures past being berry juice but isn't quite a rare candy, it can be extracted and used as a hallucinogen (similar to herion). It is known as either Juice, or in it's dried form, Dust. This is what Quinn is addicted to.

Btw, since I only like the first two gens of Pokemon, I'm only using the first to gens.

I wanted to know what people thought of my characters so far (especially Quinn) and my idea of the drug. If you need any extra info, just let me know.

Any comments are appreciated..

Back