• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Machamp - 8/102 Base Set

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Card of the Week is when we rate a certain card in whatever aspect you like! Whether by the art, the competitive possibility, or collector's value, it's all up to you. :) This week we have a card from Base Set, and it's shadowless I might add!

Spoiler:

068.gif

Some questions to start!
What deck was this useful in?
What cards did it combo well with?
What do you think about the card's capabilities?
What do you think about the card art?
How does this card do collection-wise?

Some of the questions are past tense, but hey, if you can figure out a way to make this work competitively now in a casual playing deck, feel free to mention that as well!

I'll have better pic quality next time I post one of these guys, I swear lol.

Years
This Machamp, if you could get it set up, was a very good card. It has a ridiculously high retreat cost and was susceptible to Psychic types, which were not very strong unless you had a weakness to them. It would have issues facing Mr. Mime, though.

It didn't really combo well with anything, though, at least that I can recall. Hitmonchan and Onix made good walls so you could get it set up, but that's about all I can think of that it might combo with.

I do like the fact that you have a Shadowless 1st Edition copy of the card here, though, and that's just awesome.

7/10.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I am not much of a player, so I'm gonna skip that and go straight for art and such~

I've always liked that background. One thing I really love older sets for is the abstract background and how they worked better with the Sugimori art back then. In cards now, they just feel out of place, but with these, I guess the fact the art is less colored in gives it a better feel. But I've always liked that background, yes. It goes well with Machamp's colors, and even the brown color of the card.

As far as collectibility, I'm with you haha. I'm happy that I got a 1st edition shadowless one. I didn't even know that's what it was. Kept thinking it was fake, but hey, got a really neat surprise instead. :)

8/10 (strictly on art and collectibility of course!)

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
I think this was my first ever holographic card. I feel stupid because I don't have it anymore after shoving it into the floorboard at my dad's old home years ago and never was able to retrieve it.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
Years
Although I've dabbled a bit with playing TCG on the Gameboy, I really don't know what to say about the card's capabilities. The art itself is nice and classic. 1st editions are neat to have (not sure what shadowless really means, old timer here). I grew up collecting the Base/Jungle/Fossil sets, but I don't have any particular memories about this card. It's just in the back of my mind; if I have to give it a rating, I would say 7/10.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I've only really used this card on the GB game. Though on it, I did have a whole deck based around it. I really like the artwork, even though it is just the official artwork, I think the background works very well with it. It makes the whole card pop.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I really like the card's ability. I've never used it to be sure (I'm always in the bottom-decks) but I can say that a good Seismic Toss and packs a good caliber.

The style of the art looks cool, in fact it shows the Machamp's fierceness well, too. It's the official one, maybe, but the abstract background means a lot more. If you see the many shadowy arms here and there it looks scary.

Back