Canada
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
220 posts
5.4 Years
f
Pokemon Unbound
Introduction
Hello Pokécommunity, my name is Skeli and this is my first Rom Hack. I began Rom Hacking seriously in 2016, and since then I've written various ASM routines, created the Dynamic Pokemon Expansion for FireRed, and created the Complete FireRed Upgrade alongside ghoulslash.
As of now, there are two versions available for Pokemon Unbound. The first, a slightly older version, contains content up to just past the second Gym. If you are more of a casual Pokemon player, then this is the version I'd recommend for you. The second, a relatively newer version, showcases Unbound's new battle engine by granting unrestricted access to the Battle Tower. This version was created in the format of a mobile game; meaning daily rewards, monthly distributions, and unlimited playtime. If you enjoy battling, then you'll find no shortage of things to do with the over 100 different possible battle combinations. With that being said, enjoy Pokemon Unbound!

Story
Welcome to the Borrius Region, a region rich in history. Many years ago the Borrius region fought a brutal war with the Kalos region. The people of the Borrius region summoned a dark force to help them defeat their enemies; however the war ended in defeat when the king of the Kalos region unleashed the ultimate weapon. With the war over, the dark force was sealed away never to be used again. However, many years later, an organization known simply as “The Shadows” seems bent on releasing the dark force once again. It’s up to you to stop them and save the Borrius region from ultimate destruction.

Features
  • Updated Graphics: All of the Fire Red graphics have been updated to Gen IV styled graphics. This includes tiles, overworlds, sprites and even battle backgrounds.
  • Updated Pokémon: All Pokemon from Gens 1-7 will be available in the game. The Fairy type is also present in the game. They will all have updated movesets and abilities to closely resemble the ones found in USUM. New evolution methods have also been added in order to closely resemble how the Pokemon truly evolve.
  • Updated Mechanics: General improvements to gameplay to enhance the player's experience such as the Physical/Special split and Mega Evolution, as well as a BW Repel system and X/Y capture experience, all provided by the Complete FireRed Upgrade.

Spoiler:
    • Eggs Hatch at Level 1
    • Day and Night System
    • Sideways Stairs
    • Running Indoors
    • Trainer Facing
    • BW2 Repel System
    • The Physical/Special Split
    • Mega Evolution
    • New HMs such as Rock Climb and Dive
    • Hidden Grottoes
    • Decapitalization
    • IVs and Natures Highlighted
    • XY Capture Experience System
    • Inverse Battles

• More Items: The game features new held items, in addition to the Gen IV Poke Balls, and over 100 reusable TMs. In order to compensate for the increased item amount, the bag has been replaced with a digital device capable of holding an infinite amount of items.
  • New Music: Music from many different Pokemon games is present in Pokemon Unbound. This music ranges from HGSS and BW, all the way Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.
  • Side Quests: Many optional quests are present in Borrius. These quests may yield great rewards or drastically change what can be found in the region.

Screenshots

Overworld

Battle

Videos

Special Thanks
• Golche for sprite work, feedback, music and bug testing, as well as taking time out of his busy schedule to answer questions for me
• Pr4mius for graphic design and art
• Theharth for also filling out TM Data
• Anonymous for making the amazing title screen background
• Phantom Phoenix for his VS fix and other help
• Achromatic for his CSS Template as a Base
• Mpanzu for story suggestions
• Phazonruler for music
Lixdel for helping with a ton of stuff

Beta Testers
• Jonthe123
• ChillyNightmare
• Delta231
• gcys
• golche
• Phantom Phoenix
• Pr4mius
• PrimalGroudon
• rom_downloader
• Shushui
• qazmachuck94
• Quinhas
• Zapmolticuno

Credits
Spoiler:
Complete FireRed Upgrade

Pokemon Sprites:
The DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource
Sugimori Palettes: The DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource
Gen VI: DS-Style 64x64 Pokemon Sprite Resource
Gen. VII Pokémon GBA Sprite Repository (64x64)
• Smogon XY Sprite Project
• AimayBee
• Dominekkas
• Edens Elite
• Shadowgate31

Trainer Sprites:
DS-style 64x64 Trainer Sprite Resource
• Criminon
• Golche
• Phasma
• Super Soursky

Overworld Sprites:
• AimayBee
• Chasemortier
• Golche
• Brawlzilla
• Piphybuilder88
• Kymotonian
• Rayquaza Dot
• Spherical Ice

Music:
Gogojjtech HGSS Music Patch
Ipatix DPPt Music Patch
LukeeGD BW Music Patch
• Azneyz
• Chiknluvr
• Darkeon75
• Golche
• Jonas Evant
• Justin Ang
• LukeeGD
• Phazonruler
• Shinkonet
• TurquoiseStar17
• ZenithAegis

Tiles:
• Dionien
• DonLawride
• Hek El Grande
• Kymotonian
• Laidjon
• Manuxd789
• Neffertity
• Peekychew
• PhoenixofLight92
• Phyromatical
• PokemonTilesetStudio
• Rayquaza Dot
• Red Ex
• SailorVicious
• Scarex
• Spaceemotion
• Spinda94
• Ultimate Traveler
• Ultimospriter
• WesleyFG
• Williamgj

Battle Tower Spreads:
• Anonyboy
• Cruztown
• Eddie
• Gail_GR
• Golche
• Isaac
• Lixdel
• Mystic Kaito
• Patrickz
• Petuuuhhh

ROM Bases:
• Part of Snow Rom Base - Neti

Tools Used
Spoiler:
• Advance Map - LU-HO Poké
• Pokemon Script Editor (PKSV) - Score_under
• Xtreme Script Editor - HackMew
• Gen 3 Tools (G3T) - Kurapika
• Gen III Suite - Karatekid552
• Tile Molestor - SnowBro
• UNLZ-GBA - LoadingNOW
• Pokemon Game Editor (PGE) - Gamer2020
• Advance Palette Editor - HackMew
• Nameless Sprite Editor - Link12552
• Nameless Tile Editor - D-Trogh
• Sappy - The Helmeted Rodent
• HxD - Maël Hörz

Bugs

All of the bugs and changes from the official games are listed in the attached readme file. If you find a bug not mentioned, please report it in the hack's Discord channel.

FAQ
Can I be a beta tester? Unfortunately, right now I do not have the need for any more Beta testers.
Does this hack have Mega Evolution? Yes. Courtesy of the Complete FireRed Upgrade.
Does this hack have Z-Moves? Yes, but only in the Battle Tower Demo.
Where can I get Mega Stones? You can't in the first demo version. The Battle Tower Demo, however, has several Pokemon obtainable with Mega Stones.
How do I get an Alolan Sandshrew? There's an event in Bellin Town which takes place after receiving the Pokedex.
Does this hack have a Discord channel? Yes.
Can I use Pokemon Unbound as a Rom Base? You may, but I highly recommend just installing the Complete FireRed Upgrade yourself so you can choose which features you want.
When is this hack going to be completed? Whenever I finish it. If you want to know how complete it is, look under the completion spoiler. (It would be nice to know myself, though)
Spoiler:

Main Story Completion
Spoiler:
Maps: 82%
Story: 75%
Sprites: 85%
Music: 85%
Gyms Completed: 6
Overall: 80%

Battle Engine Completion
100%

Downloads
Unbound Alpha 1.2.5
Original Release Date: December 1, 2016
Update Date: September 10, 2017
Completion: This is a demo version which ends once you enter Valley Cave. It contains two gym badges.
Update: New abilities, New Pokemon Selection and Summary Screens, Bug Fixes

Unbound Battle Tower 1.1.5
Original Release Date: July 1, 2019
Update Date: August 10, 2019
Completion: This is a demo version which allows you to play exclusively in the Borrius region's Battle Tower. It is currently still missing Multi Battles and a "second" planned battle facility which will be released at a later date.
Update: Bug fixes, improved AI, some Doubles specific spreads.
WARNING: Before updating from any version 1.1.1 and below, to any version 1.1.2 and above, make sure no Pokemon can be found in boxes 22-24! They will be lost upon updating. Use the multiple Pokemon select (press Select) in the PC to move Pokemon out of these boxes easily. Once updated, make sure to talk to the nurse before placing any Pokemon back in these boxes.
WARNING: The Snorlax mystery gift obtainable in v1.1.5 is bugged. Please wait until the next version before claiming it.

Special Distributions

August's special distribution for the Unbound Battle Tower Demo is Snorlax! This Snorlax comes with a Snorlium Z and it's Thick Fat ability! It can be used in the virtually any battle format, barring Middle Cup, Little Cup and Smogon OU Doubles! Just leave through the entrance of the Battle Tower and talk to the green deliveryman to receive this Pokemon!

Start Date: August 1, 2019
End Date: August 31, 2019

Awards

Support us!

https://discord.gg/k34Jm4T
Pokemon Unbound

Skeli-

Lord of the Rings

Age 20
Male
Canada
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
220 posts
5.4 Years
Looks interesting, I have one question what are inverse battles?
Inverse battles are a special type of battle introduced in X&Y where type matchups are reversed.

Isn't the name 'Pokemon Unbound' already taken for ORAS hack?
I don't see how that is a problem. That is an entirely different kind of hack than mine. And anyways, my hack name has been in my signature for a while now.

Can I be a beta tester?
Of course! Beta testers and bug fixers are always welcome. I'll let you know when a testable version is ready.

cool! seeing that this is your' first hack... I think you have great future
Thank you!
Pokemon Unbound

Skeli-

Lord of the Rings

Age 20
Male
Canada
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
220 posts
5.4 Years
Will it had mega evolution in battle?
Yes, it has Mega Evolution.
This look interesting,i can be a beta teste too?
Of course! Help is always welcome. Beta testing is to begin by the end of the week so be ready.
Pokemon Unbound

Male
Seen 2 Days Ago
Posted April 5th, 2019
47 posts
3.8 Years
Yes, it has Mega Evolution.

Of course! Help is always welcome. Beta testing is to begin by the end of the week so be ready.
Holy Crap! The hack is half way done? Thats insane! I honestly love the plot of the story and the mapping and graphics and sprites really match the region itself. So much attention to detail with the weather and style of clothing for the male and female protagonists! Not gonna lie though, but the female protagonist kinda looks like flannery but it really doesn't bother me. I wish you the best👌👌!

ChillyNightmare

Male
Seen January 20th, 2017
Posted November 21st, 2016
5 posts
2.8 Years
Inverse battles are a special type of battle introduced in X&Y where type matchups are reversed.

I don't see how that is a problem. That is an entirely different kind of hack than mine. And anyways, my hack name has been in my signature for a while now.

Of course! Beta testers and bug fixers are always welcome. I'll let you know when a testable version is ready.

Thank you!
May I beta test too? It looks very interesting and promising.

Skeli-

Lord of the Rings

Age 20
Male
Canada
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
220 posts
5.4 Years
May I beta test too? It looks very interesting and promising.
Of course!
This hack seems really really cool
If I can I would love to be beta tester aswell please
Of course!
Here's to hoping we can get a testable version out by the end of the week :)
I'm working around the clock to get one out as soon as possible.
Pokemon Unbound

The ???

The one true question mark

Male
???
Seen April 15th, 2017
Posted January 14th, 2017
295 posts
6.5 Years
Ah. Sounds great.
I'd love to play a hack with new Gen VII abilities, moves and pokemon.
Of course alolan typed would be fun too if you think about it.

Looking forward to this :)
Hey there I am a budding YouTuber and make funny Pokemon Videos, check me out >>HERE<<
Advertiser Content