Advertiser Content

Seasonal Showcase Countryball: Catch 'em All!

Started by PolandDev April 8th, 2018 12:03 AM
  • 108 replies

PolandDev

(Not Polish)

Female
nobe
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
61 posts
1.4 Years
Countryball: Catch 'em All!

Summer Seasonal Showcase 2018 Winner!
Current Progress:
To Next Update: 65%
To Full Game: 22%

What is this game?
I'm glad you asked! "Countryball: Catch 'em All!" is a growing project managed by members of the /int/ and /vp/ boards on 4chan!
Set in the region of Terra, the player will set out on a quest to defeat the eight Flagmasters of the region and advance to the Flag League! But be wary, a regime of the past grows stronger every day...

FEATURES
-Hundreds of custom-drawn pixel art Countryballs!
-A whole new region to explore based on real-world geography! (Consider it a, "World Tour" of sorts!)
-New music!
-A dex of 300~ new Countryballs!

PICTURES
Gameplay Images:
Spoiler:

Our unique type identification system (old gif, not reflective of modern gamelpay)
Spoiler:

CREDITS
-PolandDev [that's me :^)] - everything below and more
-src - Writing, dex entries, footprints, cries, music, title screen and intro, bugtesting
-Primary Artists: E.K., Chroma, Maddalena, Star Gazaar
-ToastyCoasty - Writing, spriting, title screen, bugtesting
-Spriot - scripting
-pfero - type identification system - [Open source!]
-DimbusMaximus, aaaa - music
Spoiler:
-SmileDev/GreasyGarlic, Greaseball - Intro customization, polyphony, a whole lot of handyman work. Our personal all-instrument patch and sound engine revamp, as well as inserting the intro! - [His game server on Discord]
-Secondary artists: CloverFifz, ToastyCoasty, Saleh, Arex, Brolunite, Caren Kirkland, Rool, Tommo
-coraldev - Route design, moral support - HIS GAME: Pokémon Coral!
-AlchDev - Route Design, moral support - HIS GAME: Pokémon Alchemist!
-Alistair, KyleDove, Hek, Fanking Omega - tiles
-DS :^), Pokfusa, MoCo, Gabofla - Bugtesting
-SnowDev, Tainted - Tile help
-Schlotz - Dialogue
-carchagui - battle background assistance
-TC - Voice acting :^)
-Handsome Tom - preliminary sketches, moral support

-/yehaw/ - the best bunch of damn ideaguys a man could ask for

PROGRAMS USED
Spoiler:
AdvanceMap 1.95/1.92
Map Editor of Happiness
XSE
Pokemon Game Editor
Advance Icon Editor
Microsoft Paint (classy, I know)
Paint.net
Overworld Editor: Rebirth Edition
Nameless Sprite Editor
Sappy2006
Cry Editor
PokemonTextEditor
LSA - Intro Text Editor
UNLz GBA
NTME

CURRENT DEMO: (very unreflective of current progress - play only for curiosity, don't take it as a reflection of what the final game or even the next update will be like)
Spoiler:
Seriously, don't play this expecting a decent experience. It's really outdated.
Spoiler:
KNOWN BUGS
This game's not perfect, by far, but we've worked hard on squashing menial bugs. However, there's still some stuff to look out for!
-Before you acquire the CountryDex, an NPC using Red's sprite will block the northern path. Speaking to him WILL crash the game. We are working on remedying this as soon as possible, but it's proven a stubborn bug to squash.
Spoiler:

-Some songs don't loop. They've all been extended to go for a good while but they still might go quiet if you lay on the turbo for too long. We're working on improving this.
-The intro doesn't have music set for it. We're working on this, we just had a bit of a hiccup.
-A few Countryballs don't have cries. This is by no means game-breaking, but it'd be best to give you guys a heads up anyway. The way the game stores and plays cries is just very finicky to say the least.
-The Border Control script that prevents you from leaving the city without your first gym badge still works 100%, but looks a bit ugly. We're looking to get an experienced scripter to clean this up a bit.

DOWNLOAD

Use Lunar IPS Patching Program to apply this patch to any 1636 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels) ROM!

HELP WANTED
We're all very passionate about this game, but we could really use some help! There's a few jobs that no one on the "team" is quite skilled enough to do on their own.
Jobs needed:
Additional sprite artist
Composer

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
>will [my country] be in the game?
Yes! Every country in the world (that's 197~) will be in the final dex - plus 100 more regional, fictional, and defunct flag Countryballs!
>will [fictional country] be in the game?
Perhaps. We're trying to keep that number down significantly - too many would be very no bueno.
>does [country] still need a sprite/cry/dex/etc?
PM me in discord or on Pokecommunity.
>will Kekistan be in the game?!
Absolutely not. Hard no.

Thank you for your time and consideration! If you have any questions about the project, I am more than willing to answer them.
I made this:

Updates can be seen at our thread in the Progressing ROM Hacks section, or on twitter at @PolandDev

PolandDev

(Not Polish)

Female
nobe
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
61 posts
1.4 Years
Changelog here!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-Released One-Gym Demo
0.0.9.1 8/4/18
Spoiler:
-Hotfix, fixed some grammar errors because I'm a brainlet

0.0.9.2 8/5/18 @ 4:55 PM
Spoiler:
-changed some typings that were apparently not copied over to the ips patch from the in-development ROM
--Luxembourg is now Ice Type and has an ice-centric movepool and new base stats
--Netherlands is now Ice/Water Type and has an ice/water-centric movepool and new base stats
--Colony US is now Grass Type and no longer learns PoisonPowder or SleepPowder and new base stats
--Freed US is now Grass/Fighting Type and has a Grass/Fighting-centric movepool and new base stats
--USA is now Grass/Fighting Type and has a Grass/Fighting-centric movepool and new base stats
I made this:

Updates can be seen at our thread in the Progressing ROM Hacks section, or on twitter at @PolandDev

PolandDev

(Not Polish)

Female
nobe
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
61 posts
1.4 Years
This game is the only thing I have to look forward to in my life. I wish you all the luck in the world on your project and hope that you as a person are happy and healthy.
I certainly hope I don't disappoint! :P
I made this:

gail

Having no limitation as limitation

Age 19
Male
Greece
Seen 16 Hours Ago
Posted June 24th, 2019
76 posts
2.8 Years
this is a rom hack I always wanted! wish you luck!
Pokemon rom hacks I support

Pokemon Black&White advanced
Pokemon Adventures:Red chapter
Pokemon Theta Emerald Ex
Pokemon ultra Shiny Gold Sigma
Pokemon Gaia

PolandDev

(Not Polish)

Female
nobe
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
61 posts
1.4 Years
Just released a new patch for the game correcting some mistaken typings and movepools that were not copied over from the in-development ROM to the patch. Sorry for the trouble!
I made this:

PolandDev

(Not Polish)

Female
nobe
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
61 posts
1.4 Years
Hello! Making a minor little post to share the planned dex for v.3 including 92 Countryballs!
Spoiler:

v.3, coming later this year hopefully, will be vastly different from the demo - not a piece of vanilla assets will be in the playable game. v.3 ends in Vermillion City in Fire Red, or the Middle East in our equivalent of the map.
Here is a minor progress update:
Spoiler:
Sprites Needed: 100% Finished. 92/92 complete. Around 3% could receive redos, but isn't 100% necessary.

Tilesets Needed: 0% - Highest priority atm! One sprite artist is working on some but is a slow worker - another has offered to accept comissions in "a few days" when his/her work clears up but we'll see if this is true. Inserting them may be an issue, but SRC has proven competent before with this sort of thing. If you are a competent tileset artist, we really need you! Though the rules of PokeCommunity state I can't pay you for your work, maybe we can work out a trade?

Trainer Sprites Needed: 80%~. 7/10 (estimated) finished.

Mapping Needed: 50%~ 6/12 (not including interiors) finished. Waiting for tileset insertion and map correction/adaptation before resuming mapping.

Cries Needed: 100% - 92/92 - Great work, src! Very efficient and high quality!

Footprints Needed: 100% - 195/99 - More fantastic machinery from src! All real countries have footprints, so only fictional and regional areas not already covered needed new footprints, few of which will be in v3.

Dex Entries Needed: 100% 92/92. Some might be redone in the relative future, but it's not exceptionally needed.

Music Needed: This value depends on a few things. Should each gym leader have custom music, or do we keep just a single gym leader theme? Either way, a lot could be done. Estimated 30-40%.

Intro Customization: Currently a side project managed by src. Around 40%, major assets still need to be made for it but it isn't pressingly important either.

DATA
=============
Pokemon Inserted/Modified: 100%~. 92/92 done. Some could use changes to stats but the Pokemon themselves are all inserted in every facet but the cries.

Tilesets Inserted: 0% - None received, none input.

As it stands, the only thing preventing the progress from going full steam ahead is a lack of tilesets. We're in desperate need! Please PM me on Discord (PyroPsycho#5103) or PokeCommunity, or join our server if you can help with this issue - though I can't pay you in money due to the rules of this site, maybe a trade can be made?

Thank you all for following this game! We hope to not disappoint <3
I made this:

PolandDev

(Not Polish)

Female
nobe
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
61 posts
1.4 Years
I wish you all luck with this. Pokemons replaced with Countryballs is a great idea.
Cheers, mate! We hope to not disappoint <3

I would like to propose a country ball France ! Type : Water and Fight !
I appreciate the enthusiasm! Have no fear, not only is France in the final game, every country on the globe is! France has already been sprited, even.
I made this:

DrFuji

Heiki Hecchara‌‌

Age 26
Male
Aussie
Seen 3 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
1,603 posts
10 Years
I love the dex and all of it entries - The footprints are a really nice touch. I'm surprised that Poland isn't a legendary considering that its such a meme and started this whole thing.

PolandDev

(Not Polish)

Female
nobe
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
61 posts
1.4 Years
That's MongoliaBall as a Pokémon, i hope you use this!
We had Mongolia before, but it has been moved to a three stage line using these. Do you mind if I ask where you got the flags for MongolEmpire and GoldenHorde from?
I made this:

PolandDev

(Not Polish)

Female
nobe
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
61 posts
1.4 Years
For the Golden Horde i used Wikipedia and for Mongol Empire Extended timeline Wikia.
Sounds good, just curious. Thanks!
I made this:

PolandDev

(Not Polish)

Female
nobe
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
61 posts
1.4 Years

I am delightfully pleased (squealing, really) to announce that our good friend pfero has personally coded and ported this Pokemon type display system to the game. I have never been more excited for the development stage(s) of this game than right now!
A HUGE thank you to pfero and the anon in our 4chan thread who drafted the GUI, as well as our talented trainer artist for dreaming it up. Next release will be v.3, and now that we have access to a good amount of tiles to make it with, we can progress at a decent pace!
Thank you all very much for your time, we hope to not disappoint.
Image showcasing new tiles:
Spoiler:
I made this:

PolandDev

(Not Polish)

Female
nobe
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
61 posts
1.4 Years

Got a set of gifs here showing off some new texts, moves changed completely, new tiles, etc! I'm holding off on mapping so I can focus on the 'internals' side more first, which is why I haven't posted any fancy new tiled maps. Thank you for following the development.
I made this:

PolandDev

(Not Polish)

Female
nobe
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
61 posts
1.4 Years
I sprited my Mongolia Ball, i think is good!
I sprited the Mongolia set just a few days ago, unfortunately. I shant post for merely spoiler reasons (expect a bit of a twist!) but the enthusiasm is Appreciated ! These will not go to waste for sure - I can use some of the ideas here on the current ones
I made this:

Advertiser Content