The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon: General Discussions Pokémon Trading Card Game
Quick Questions Thread! [OLD]

Pokémon Trading Card Game The forum for the Pokémon TCG and Pokemon TCG Online. Post your deck to get rated, rate other decks, ask questions, talk about strategy, etc.

Old March 28th, 2014 (2:19 PM).
I AM THE REAL SONIC
TCGO: ZombeeMoose

Nature: Adamant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axoloth View Post
So, I'm trying to get into the TCG, and currently I'm trying to make sense of the whole rarity thing.
I have the holo Gold Potion from the Boundaries Crossed expansion (I tried posting a link, but I'm not trustworthy enough yet :/ Just look it up on bulbapedia) and the shiny Call of Legend Lugia SL7 card, and I notice that they both have a silvery white star as their rarity symbol, and according to bulbapedia, so do the so-called Super-Rare cards.

Hence my question is this; if i get a card with a white silvery star, how am I supposed to tell the rarity? Is there something else on the card that decides that? I mean, I can see if the pokemon is shiny, but still, is there some secret trick to it, or am I just that stupid that I don't see it?
Well to know the true rarity rate you would have to look the cards up individually. All that the TCG actually gives us is those symbols. Those silver stars are the second rarest, with secret rares which have the same symbol but a numbering higher than the set number being the rarest.

Relevant Advertising!

Old March 28th, 2014 (3:16 PM).
    TCGO:

Yeah I was afraid I had to look them up individually. But I thought the highest rarity was the gold star? Now signified in Japan as UR, for Ultra-Rare.
    Old March 28th, 2014 (8:32 PM).
    TCGO: donavannj

Quote:
    Yeah I was afraid I had to look them up individually. But I thought the highest rarity was the gold star? Now signified in Japan as UR, for Ultra-Rare.
    Quote:
    So, I'm trying to get into the TCG, and currently I'm trying to make sense of the whole rarity thing.
    I have the holo Gold Potion from the Boundaries Crossed expansion (I tried posting a link, but I'm not trustworthy enough yet :/ Just look it up on bulbapedia) and the shiny Call of Legend Lugia SL7 card, and I notice that they both have a silvery white star as their rarity symbol, and according to bulbapedia, so do the so-called Super-Rare cards.

Hence my question is this; if i get a card with a white silvery star, how am I supposed to tell the rarity? Is there something else on the card that decides that? I mean, I can see if the pokemon is shiny, but still, is there some secret trick to it, or am I just that stupid that I don't see it?

Thing is, rarity is indicated by more traits than just the rarity symbol, and a Gold Star was never used as a rarity symbol, at least in English. I generally group them into the following rarity tiers for simplicity's sake:

Commons

Uncommons

Non-holo rares

Holo Rares

Ultra Rare Tier cards: Lv. X, ex, EX, Prime, Ace Spec, and maybe some other specials that escape my mind.

1/2 step above Ultra Rare: Full Arts

Secret Rares: Any card numbered outside the set's "official" number. Such as the "Gold Star" cards with the Gold Star in the name, cards with Shining in the name, and of late, cards featuring the Shiny versions of the Pokemon on the card.

Does this help explain any better?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darkheart223 View Post
    I was Thinking i would like to start collecting old sets and i was wondering What would be the Cheapest And easiest to find?
    Depends on your definition of old. What year would you consider as old sets now?
    Old March 30th, 2014 (1:27 PM). Edited March 30th, 2014 by Axoloth.
      TCGO:

Yeah, thanks :D
      But does that mean that secret rares are the rarest type?
      Old March 30th, 2014 (2:34 PM).

Quote:
      Yeah, thanks :D
      But does that mean that secret rares are the rarest type?
      Basically, yes it does mean they're the rarest type.
      Old April 4th, 2014 (1:26 PM).
        TCGO:

Hi, I've got a couple more questions I've thought of;

1. Are there reverse-holo versions of EVERY card?
        2. Are there non-holo versions of holographics cards, when that list on bulbapedia doesn't specify anything else?
        3. Are there reverse-holo versions of holographic-only cards?

The reason I'm asking is, I wanna collect Luxray cards (my favorite pokemon), most of which bulbapedia classify as "holo-rare". However on ebay I am finding reverse-holos as well. So, I need to know if every Luxray card has three versions, so that I can look for them all.
        Old April 4th, 2014 (1:30 PM).
        Straight Outta Compton
        TCGO:

Nature: Gentle
        Quote:
        Hi, I've got a couple more questions I've thought of;

1. Are there reverse-holo versions of EVERY card?
        2. Are there non-holo versions of holographics cards, when that list on bulbapedia doesn't specify anything else?
        3. Are there reverse-holo versions of holographic-only cards?

The reason I'm asking is, I wanna collect Luxray cards (my favorite pokemon), most of which bulbapedia classify as "holo-rare". However on ebay I am finding reverse-holos as well. So, I need to know if every Luxray card has three versions, so that I can look for them all.
        1. No.
        2. Yes.
        3. Yes.

Hope that answers your questions.
        Old April 24th, 2014 (9:21 AM).
          TCGO:

Nature: Calm
          i have this plasma snorlax with an attack that does ''30 damage times the number of plasma pokemon you have in play'' i wanted to know if just by having snorlax in play (cuz it is plasma) are you able to give damage? in other words does snorlax count itself when doing damage?
          Old April 24th, 2014 (12:01 PM).
            TCGO:

Yes snorlax counts as 1 plasma pokemon thus 30 damage if it is the only other plasma in play.
            Old April 28th, 2014 (8:28 AM).
              TCGO:

Nature: Calm
              does snorlax's attack use the opponent's plasma pokemon to deal damage or just on your side?
              Old April 28th, 2014 (8:37 AM).
              Straight Outta Compton
              TCGO:

Quote:
              Originally Posted by google123 View Post
              does snorlax's attack use the opponent's plasma pokemon to deal damage or just on your side?
              It only count's your side.
              Old May 7th, 2014 (6:35 AM).
                TCGO:

Hi, I wasn't sure where to post this but I got a English AncientMew card that was sealed and it had a card saying that to find out what the card said you had to go to an event to get a playmat/poster. Would anyone have one or have a picture of what it looks like? I know what it says but I cant find one to buy or print out.

Old May 7th, 2014 (7:57 PM).

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Velveteenwolf View Post
                Hi, I wasn't sure where to post this but I got a English AncientMew card that was sealed and it had a card saying that to find out what the card said you had to go to an event to get a playmat/poster. Would anyone have one or have a picture of what it looks like? I know what it says but I cant find one to buy or print out.
                No idea on the playmat, but the Bulbapedia page does have a translation of the runes, presumably taken from the official translation:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ancient_Mew_%28The_Power_of_One_promo%29

And the original Pokemon.com riddle for the cards can be found via the wayback machine here: http://web.archive.org/web/20020220205610/http://www.pokemon.com/news/ancientmew.html

This help any?
                Old May 8th, 2014 (12:03 PM).
                  TCGO:

Yes, thank you. I guess not many people went or has the sheet.

Old May 30th, 2014 (8:09 PM). Edited May 30th, 2014 by Xebelleon.
                    TCGO:

Nature: Quirky
                    #1: .what card series started the "boosters have a TCGO code" thing?
                    **have seen merchandising from BW stuff but not sure of how far back

#2: .Red Genesect box thing... something about a 60 foil card deck...
                    ~ want to (probably will) buy this thing for the red Genesect pin @ are the 60 really foil?
                    Old May 30th, 2014 (8:59 PM).

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Xebelleon View Post
                    #1: .what card series started the "boosters have a TCGO code" thing?
                    **have seen merchandising from BW stuff but not sure of how far back

#2: .Red Genesect box thing... something about a 60 foil card deck...
                    ~ want to (probably will) buy this thing for the red Genesect pin @ are the 60 really foil?
                    1. It started late in the Black & White base set print run in just a few boosters, but the first set to include them in every booster was Emerging Powers. The first codes were in the theme decks for the Black & White set, though.

2. Yes, all 60 are foil.
                    Old June 2nd, 2014 (9:47 AM).
                      TCGO:

1. Can you only use cards from each group (not set) for tournaments? Like base, neo, ex, etc.
                      2. But can you use any basic energy cards or trainers that do the same thing throughout the sets so like electric energy is electric regardless of base set or ey.
                      Old June 2nd, 2014 (8:09 PM).

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Menime14 View Post
                      1. Can you only use cards from each group (not set) for tournaments? Like base, neo, ex, etc.
                      2. But can you use any basic energy cards or trainers that do the same thing throughout the sets so like electric energy is electric regardless of base set or ey.
                      1. For official tournaments, it varies by year, but typically you can't use cards from a set any older than 3 years, unless a card was reprinted in a newer set with the exact same card type and effect. It's not by "block". It's just a given group of sets within a time-frame, and it changes every August (with the occasional change made in late spring/early summer instead) to phase out the oldest sets that it previously allowed. So, right now, nothing older than Next Destinies can be used in official tournaments, except cards that have exact reprints in Next Destinies or a set newer than Next Destinies.

2. Basic Energy fall under the reprints rule and CAN be used no matter what set as long as their legitimate cards and are in a language allowed in your area, since all Basic Energy are exact reprints. Special Energy often are not exact reprints, so you have to compare past versions to current versions to see which ones match and which don't.

Trainers, however, have to have exact reprints in a current set for older ones to be usable. Same goes for Pokemon (though Pokemon are less frequently reprinted with exact reprints than Trainers are).

This help at all?
                      Old June 4th, 2014 (4:49 AM).
                        TCGO:

Nature: Relaxed
                        Let me say sorry in advance for making such a general post. I haven't been in the trading card game for a long, long time. Although I'm at the ripe old age of 26 now, I've really got into collecting various things, and have a desire to get back into Pokemon trading card collecting. (I have no interest in playing the trading card game, just collecting).

Problem is, I don't really know where to start! I know Ebay is probably my best bet, but as a collector who'll be starting with zero cards, I'm not sure which series of cards I should try to collect first. Does anyone have any recommendations or a good pathway for a newbie collector? Obviously I'm aware that base set cards may get a little pricey, and although I have funds to be able to start a decent collection, I'm not at the point where I'll be able to buy base set booster boxes anytime soon. :D I'm not particularly bothered about acquiring cards in a certain order, for what it's worth.

Thanks very much in advance for any help and recommendations.

Please subscribe to my Youtube channel to see my latest battles!
                        http://www.youtube.com/swishpokemon
                        Old June 4th, 2014 (3:31 PM).
                          TCGO:

Probably your best bet would be to just start with the newest cards, b/w x/y. These are readily available in places that sell pokemon cards. Of course you could just collect whatever set you are interested in.

Maybe start by buying a few packs from each of the sets. This will help you get a bunch of the commons and uncommons. The rares are going to be the biggest pains. Even with a booster box you may not get every rare in the set. Either way after that you can go into buying singles online if you want. As the rares are probably cheaper to pick up that way. You can also pick up some pokemon Tins that have Exs in them. This gives you the Ex and 4 packs, usually for the price of 4 packs.
                          Old June 4th, 2014 (9:44 PM).
                            TCGO:

Nature: Relaxed
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Profen View Post
                            Probably your best bet would be to just start with the newest cards, b/w x/y. These are readily available in places that sell pokemon cards. Of course you could just collect whatever set you are interested in.

Maybe start by buying a few packs from each of the sets. This will help you get a bunch of the commons and uncommons. The rares are going to be the biggest pains. Even with a booster box you may not get every rare in the set. Either way after that you can go into buying singles online if you want. As the rares are probably cheaper to pick up that way. You can also pick up some pokemon Tins that have Exs in them. This gives you the Ex and 4 packs, usually for the price of 4 packs.
                            Much appreciated, kinda along the lines of my thinking anyway!

Please subscribe to my Youtube channel to see my latest battles!
                            http://www.youtube.com/swishpokemon
                            Old June 26th, 2014 (9:46 PM).
                              TCGO:

Could 1st edition stamps ever rub off?

For example, if i slightly wet a q-tip and rub the 1st edition stamp, it should not come off correct?

Theoretically if I scratch hard enough, I think the stamp would come off right?
                              Old June 27th, 2014 (9:05 AM).

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by ads_2006 View Post
                              Could 1st edition stamps ever rub off?

For example, if i slightly wet a q-tip and rub the 1st edition stamp, it should not come off correct?

Theoretically if I scratch hard enough, I think the stamp would come off right?
                              I'm fairly certain that the likelihood is extremely low. And if it were ever rubbed off, I don't think there'd be the card's background behind it.

If you scratched hard enough to "remove" the "stamp", you'd probably have scratch marks where the "stamp" was. Basically it's called a stamp, but I'm fairly certain based on the way it feels relative to the other text that the 1st Edition stamp is printed on the same layer as the rest of the text.
                              Old June 28th, 2014 (8:27 PM).
                              Explosive Explosion
                                TCGO:

It seems unlikely, but...
                                Can you use evosoda on a flashfire Caterpie/Metapod on the turn you played it?

I'M GOING TO THE POKEMON LEAGUE AND I'M GONNA WIN!
                                Old June 28th, 2014 (8:42 PM).

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by RandomHype View Post
                                It seems unlikely, but...
                                Can you use evosoda on a flashfire Caterpie/Metapod on the turn you played it?
                                Based on the wording of Evosoda, I'm going to infer that you cannot use it on either of those on the turn you played it, since Evosoda explicitly states, "You can't use this card during your first turn or on a Pokemon that was put into play this turn."

Quick Reply