• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When you play a pokemon game

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Do you always use favorites or use ones you haven't touched before? Do you favor strong over weak or vice versa? Do you just shrug and use whatever is in front of you?

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
Years
YES! I found it!
Now, that's something, something... something!
Let's see... back in the days I would've probably based my teams off preferences,
but the precerences started fading as time has flown by.
As for a core-game team, I'd probably struggle deciding which members to choose
(the problem doesn't manifest in Mystery Dungeon, Ranger and "snag" titles : the
teams sorta come up by themselves).

If the pokéworld was a reality(or I was making a fan-game character's team) my
choices would either revolve around symbolisms, references or random occurrences
(Ashy got many of his fellows that way, for instance the charmander he and Brock
saved or the abandoned squirtle who formed a gang).

Of course, whether it was reality or fiction, I still wouldn't bother with competitiveness,
you'll find me on showdown with the JJM TRio, Wigglytuff's guild or the Go-Rock Quads,
pasting mottos onto the faces of onix-pecting opposers (and proposing fitting soundtracks, this one for instance).

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
I typically just shrug and use whatever comes first, especially on initial playthroughs. Every other time I play through the game, I'll look at all the things I haven't used yet and see which ones I actually wouldn't mind making a team for

Ageha1304

Ageha
Years
  • Seen Feb 13, 2022
I usually use pokemon I like and ones I haven't used much. Mostly I try to play with pokemon I haven't play with before. Makes it a bit more interesting. :)

Years
I try to have my team be different types, and be designs that I like, but having different pokemon than my brother who always has the opposite version of the game.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
I try my best to cover team weaknesses, but I also get in a random mood to use things. I'm about to replay play blue and I really want to use Kingler for some reason.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
One or two of my consistent favorites when possible (Farfetch'd, Bellossom, Xatu, eeveelutions) and then mix up the rest of the team with stuff I haven't tried before or new Pokémon when possible.

Lysander

girl power ftw
Years
I tend to use both my favourites and Pokemon I haven't used before. In my Pokemon Ruby playthrough for example, I have Camerupt and Sharpedo in my team, two of my favourite Pokemon that I have used many times before, but have also started using Solrock for the first time.

Ash Hobelia

Twitch Streamer AshHobelia
Years
I always make sure each of my 6 pokemon are different types for variety and battling. But I also try to mix in my favorite pokemon in there as well to make it more fun.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I usually have my team planned out before I even start playing the game
*in my breeding game I breed the entire team, transfer the eggs over*

I use the ones I planned
(will vary depending on what I want to use)

Years
I plan my team before and try to use Pokemon I haven't used before (But it's such a small number now, that it's really hard). But during my first run of the gen I try to use Snorlax, as I unintentionally used it during 1st three gen and decided to continue the tradition in next games. So far, I was able to use it in all 7 gens.

Years
How about all of the above?

If a rare, valuable pokemon from a previous gen appears or even just an old favorite of mine shows up then I am going to collect it. I'm not going to run away from a feebas or a kadabra or a metang or larvitar or a rilou or a dratini. I know that I have found at least one Pokemon in the region that is going to be great, someone I can depend.

I do also want to learn about new Pokemon and capture pokemon that I have never seen before if they catch my eye or Pokemon that I was interested in previously but never had the opportunity to use. I try to weigh the old and new side by side against one another and just go instead by who I judge to be the best fit for the team I have at the time.

Using whatever is in front of you is a way most of us get started I think, and sometimes those turn out to be surprisingly good investments like a starly or a mareep. I just try to give a Pokemon that looks nice a shot and see how it fares.

As for strong or weak Pokemon I think it just depends. Many weak pokemon become the strongest of all and are definitely worth the time. Even pokemon That are not commonly used or thought to be strong ever can still make your play through fun. There's always that Pokemon, maybe one you caught on early rouIf but you have a really good rapport with. You like it for nostalgic reasons but somehow its working it and pulling its own weight like Ash's Pikachu. You gave it a set that seems to see you through in spite of all of the odds, I say go for it.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
I plan my team before and try to use Pokemon I haven't used before (But it's such a small number now, that it's really hard). But during my first run of the gen I try to use Snorlax, as I unintentionally used it during 1st three gen and decided to continue the tradition in next games. So far, I was able to use it in all 7 gens.

How'd you get a Snorlax in Johto, Hoenn and Unova?

Years
How'd you get a Snorlax in Johto, Hoenn and Unova?

In Crystal, I got the one in Kanto.
When I was playing Sapphire, friend of mine had Fire Red and she wanted to complete her Dex, so we traded a lot and I decided to use some of the Pokemon on my team.
In Black I got one after main story, I think in Undella or somewhere east.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
I tend to go for Pokémon I've never used before for diversity, but I sometimes end up going for a familiar Pokémon because one of the teammates turned out not to be to my liking (had this unfortunate moment with Lurantis). If playing an entirely new game, I only want to use Pokémon native to the region. After a while I mix it all around but I do have preference for the 'newer' Pokémon. I only go back to old ones if I need a reliable partner once.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
Years
I like to use my favorites every time unless I'm doing a challenge. My Gen 1 Pidgeot has the same moveset every time. Quick Attack, Sand Attack, Wing Attack, Fly.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
If I'm just playing through the story, I will admit that I'm shallow and what matters most to me is how cool and aesthetic my team looks, while still covering enough types for me to do well in the game. I don't think I have any favorites, but whenever a new region comes out I might look over the Dex and pick out a few I really want for my team.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen today
I try to use mons I've never used before, but sometimes I've either used up almost everything I'm interested in (via several playthroughs of Emerald and AS) or barely anything in the dex appeals to me (Gen VII). In that case, I end up with one of my favourites or something I've used in another game.
Stats don't really matter ingame imo, but I check out party members based on whether they can pull their weight in battle. Otherwise it'll become dead weight and might as well be an empty slot.

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
I usually go for Pokemon I never used before or that I haven't use in a while. There is some Pokemon I did used many, many times but I try to wait before using them again.

I do rotate y teams a lot. I like to switch things a little bit. Right now in Ultra Sun I want to complete the Pokedex so I keep a spot to evolve a Pokemon and then switch them. I like to see them in the Pokemon refresh for a little bit, but I always want to see more Pokemon in there. I have to say, I think before we had Refresh or Amie I had my teams for a longer time.

I use Pokemon I like, I don't care if they are goo or not since In-game you can win no matter what. And the Pokemon I like are generally weak so the only time I can use them is in game (*looking at you Ledian*).

I will admit that I'm shallow and what matters most to me is how cool and aesthetic my team looks

Yeah, I do go with a "feeling" too. For Ultra Sun I am thinking of a dog/cat team.

Back