• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Up, Down, Left, Right... Diagonal!?

Guy

just a guy
Years
So this was something speculate on in the past, and Bulbagarden pointed out something very interesting recently. From one of the smaller screenshots in this month's CoroCoro there is an image of what appears to be the male protagonist making a diagonal turn.

may_supp_p3_7.jpg
may_supp_p3_1.jpg

For the past five generations, we've always been restricted to a grid lock system; only being able to move up, down, left, and right. If this change in movement is implemented it would be a pretty big step for GameFreak. Although, with the D-Pad being removed for the new Slide Pad on the 3DS this would only make sense.

What do you think? Would you like the new system of moving diagonally? Do you prefer the original grid movement? Think we're just looking at the image wrong and just imagining things? Talk about it!

For one thing, moving diagonally will allow us to move in full circles and it'll definitely make it harder to escape the sights of a nearby trainer. However, if this is definitely proof of diagonal movement, then I think GameFreak is moving themselves in the right direction.

Last edited:

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
Years
I'm guessing it'll probably keep the grid system, only with diagonal movement added in (like dungeons in PMD). My reasoning behind this is the existence of hidden items; it seems like finding these invisible items would be really annoying if we get non-grid movement. Of course, I may be completely wrong about this, as there are probably ways to get around this problem (like having no hidden items).

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
I lol'd at the tittle

That is an interesting point. For me something so simple doesn't matter too, too much, but It would be nice in the long run, if anything make it less two dimensional

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I think it will be a mixture of the classic grid system and diagonal movement, though I wouldn't mind if the grid system was removed completely. The diagonal movements with the 3DS's slide pad will make for more natural movements and I always thought with d-pad restricts that and makes walking seem unnatural. We don't naturally walk in straight movements and we do make diagonal movements and curves so it makes sense for the character to be able to move freely. Plus the feature of a slide pad is there on the 3DS so why not make use of that technology available? I'll likely have to get used to using a slide pad instead of a d-pad , but I'm all for this change if it happens.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
The Hidden items problem is something i really didnt think about until now...
But i would still love to see completely free movement from our protagonist, would make the whole 3D feeling even better.

blue

gucci
Years
This is such a good idea, it makes movement much less restricted and much more realistic! I can only assume this is down to the Circle Pad allowing precision movement which is long overdue imo.

tnfsf11

I welcome the idea of moving diagonally a lot...
BUT then other trainers would be able to do the same, thus when I enter a new route all trainers in it will turn & look at me & then I would have to battle many at once, sounds crazy but true...
I way to overcome this would be, ofc, to make the trainers & NPCs zombies with grid movement :)

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
Years
If you squint you can actually see that he's just running towards the right, past the Lass trainer, he's not making a diagonal turn, it's just the trainer's hair is blocking the view of his legs making it hard to tell unless you look very closely.
Since the textures are still grid based then so is movement.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Here's a much better look at walking AND standing diagonally.

may_supp_p3_7.jpg
may_supp_p3_1.jpg

Last edited:

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
A welcome change indeed. Honestly, I'd be happy if we just got diagonal movement added to the grid system, but I'd be ecstatic if it was totally free movement. It will more than likely be the former, but with even that I'm definitely excited! There have been multiple times when I have wanted to move diagonally in this game (and mashing right up right up right up got old =P), so this is wonderful!

Years
However, if this is definitely proof of diagonal movement, then I think GameFreak is moving themselves in the right direction.
Nicely done.

It does look like diagonal movement, but it could just be how the graphics look when your chracter is facing up and you move to the right. That little transition between the two.

If it's diagonal movement then... I'd rather just have the ability to move completely freely. That or the classic grid. Something in between doesn't really appeal to me and as much as I'd get used to it, I wouldn't prefer it.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
So will enemy trainers also be able to position themselves diagonally? Sounds like escaping trainer battles will be a bit of a challenge then!

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Doesn't really make avoiding them anymore difficult. Just run in a diagonal the next square over and you won't have to encounter them then. Just about the same as before, just with more directions.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
Doesn't really make avoiding them anymore difficult. Just run in a diagonal the next square over and you won't have to encounter them then. Just about the same as before, just with more directions.

I just mean that with more directions means more chances for them to find you xD You can cut corners but the enemy trainers can probably still spin to face you with inhuman speed! xD

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Sound like we'll be able to have more fun avoiding them if so. However if trainers are still situated horizontally and vertically they may be easier to avoid.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
I love the fact we are going to be able to move freely around Kalos!!
Avoiding trainers is still possible imo, maybe more difficult if they can move around as we do.
If not, I'm pretty sure they'll still find a way to catch us with their challenging look

Back