• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greenlit: Third Versions: An Outdated Concept?

SirBoglor

[b][I][FONT=Satisfy]It's over, isn't it?[/FONT][/I
Years
Opinion piece incoming!
So as many of you are aware, people were quite disappointed with Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. While the games tried to become more different from their source material than the likes of Emerald and Platinum, perception wise it failed at that task. So the question is: should the "third version" die?

Included we can talk about the perception of previous third versions and why they never made many people angry. B2/W2 should also definitely be a part of the discussion, considering that it decided to be a sequel instead and was very successful. We should also talk about the modern era of gaming as a whole, many would have preferred Game Freak to just add this stuff into Sun and Moon via patch instead of trying to sell the same game a second time but with a bit more content/small changes.

So who could write it? I'm fine with it, unless someone else is just dying to talk about it. Like I said, this is an opinion piece. So regardless of who writes it, the reader needs to be reminded of that fact.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I think it's a good topic to go after, and I'm fine with you writing (I may suggest some things to touch on but have other preferences atm).

A discussion of B2W2 does make sense to include. "Was very successful" may need a bit of thought in defining, as well as exploring why that is. A comparison what what USUM brought to the table compared to Crystal/Emerald/Platinum may be worthwhile.

People were also expecting, and many hoping, for a Pokemon Z version on that note. Worth pointing out what could have been with that, and that people get angry regardless. :V

Lastly - "third version" maybe needs a different phrasing given it's US and UM. Enhanced versions, maybe?

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
It reminds me of my Rule of Three article written before the release of USUM. Your article would probably need to be more opinion-based and not factually-based to differentiate it from this one (especially since this one was re-published more recently).

If you're keeping it strictly your opinion on "what USUM did better or worse compared to other 3rd versions (and why people generally liked the older 3rd versions more)" then something to consider is how USUM was presented in the prerelease period. The wording that was used was vague, aligning with neither 3rd versions nor sequels (B2W2 was very blunt on being sequels when in prerelease). Lots of people went into the games expecting a sequel only to be disappointed when it turned out to be a glorified 3rd version. This vague prerelease could indicate a sort of desire to shy away from 3rd versions, or an acknowledgement that fans as a whole don't care much for 3rd versions as they used to.

Last edited:

SirBoglor

[b][I][FONT=Satisfy]It's over, isn't it?[/FONT][/I
Years
I think it's a good topic to go after, and I'm fine with you writing (I may suggest some things to touch on but have other preferences atm).

A discussion of B2W2 does make sense to include. "Was very successful" may need a bit of thought in defining, as well as exploring why that is. A comparison what what USUM brought to the table compared to Crystal/Emerald/Platinum may be worthwhile.

People were also expecting, and many hoping, for a Pokemon Z version on that note. Worth pointing out what could have been with that, and that people get angry regardless. :V

Lastly - "third version" maybe needs a different phrasing given it's US and UM. Enhanced versions, maybe?
Well, very successful compared to the original was what I meant. Lots of people like talking about how much better B2/W2 was than the original it seems. And yeah, I definitely plan on discussing all stuff mentioned.

It reminds me of my Rule of Three article written before the release of USUM. Your article would probably need to be more opinion-based and not factually-based to differentiate it from this one (especially since this one was re-published more recently).

If you're keeping it strictly your opinion on "what USUM did better or worse compared to other 3rd versions (and why people generally liked the older 3rd versions more)" then something to consider is how USUM was presented in the prerelease period. The wording that was used was vague, aligning with neither 3rd versions nor sequels (B2W2 was very blunt on being sequels when in prerelease). Lots of people went into the games expecting a sequel only to be disappointed when it turned out to be a glorified 3rd version. This vague prerelease could indicate a sort of desire to shy away from 3rd versions, or an acknowledgement that fans as a whole don't care much for 3rd versions as they used to.

I did not know about this piece, sorry if it seemed like I was trying to step on your toes! And yeah, this will be very much opinion-based. I may include a link to your article though, if I want to mention something from that piece (reading now.) Also yeah, the vague "alternate Alola" marketing used should definitely be brought up.

With that, the title should let people know that this article is about US/UM rather than using vague third version wording as the title.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
I did not know about this piece, sorry if it seemed like I was trying to step on your toes! And yeah, this will be very much opinion-based. I may include a link to your article though, if I want to mention something from that piece (reading now.) Also yeah, the vague "alternate Alola" marketing used should definitely be brought up.

With that, the title should let people know that this article is about US/UM rather than using vague third version wording as the title.

It's no problem. Just wanted to bring it up in case you wanted to do any "background information" as sort of introductory material; that may make your article too similar to mine but by keeping it purely on USUM and opinions of it against older "third versions" should be enough to differentiate it.

Back