• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Ruby] Inserting Cries

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
[Ruby] Inserting Cries w/ PokeCryGUI

Inserting Cries
Based on ShinyQuagsire's cry changing tutorial on ROMHackTube

Introduction...
Hello there everyone. I am destinedjagold, the author of the Ruby Destiny series. Here, I will teach you guys how to insert new cries without corrupting the other existing cries. I hope you can find this tutorial useful.

What You Need...
  • PokeCryGUI - included in the EliteMap package...
  • A Hex Editor - in this tutorial, I'll be using Hex Workshop...
  • The .wav cry you wanna insert...
  • Your ROM - in this tutorial, I'll be using a Ruby ROM...
  • YAPE - For reference purposes...

Before We Begin...
Always remember the golden rule in hacking, always save a back-up copy of your hack.

Let's Get Started...
Step 1 - Setting Everything Up...
aweqhh.jpg
(1) Load your ROM...
(2) Load the cry you wanna insert...
(3) Type the POKéMON's number, the one you wish to replace...
Spoiler:

(4) Click 'Samples' afterward. If you are hacking Ruby, the Table Offset(5) will be automatically displayed. Here, you can differenciate the sizes of the current and the new cry.
(5) Be sure to change the offset here if you're hacking besides Ruby...

Step 2 - Preparing...
2czsvh1.jpg
(1) Jot down on a paper, or type on MS Notepad the Table Offset.
(2) Jot down on a paper, or type on MS Notepad the Sample Offset.
8zo1uo.jpg
(3) Open your ROM with a hex editor and find an offset with lots and lots of free space. Jot it down or type the offset on MS Notepad as well.
10cw7bc.jpg
(4) Reverse the Sample Offset and the Free Space Offset. The screenshot above will show you how to reverse the said offsets...

Step 3 - Repointing & Inserting...
xas2dh.jpg
(1) In your Hex Editor already opened your ROM, go to (take note, "go to" (CTRL + G)) the Table Offset...
(2 - 3) Find (take note, "find" (CTRL + F)) the Reversed Sample Offset(without spaces, of course). Make sure it's in 'Hex Values' type...
2eqgpc4.jpg
(4) After you found the offset...
vsjqs6.jpg
(5) Change it into the Reverse Free Space Offset. Save it afterward...
34ebwwh.jpg
(6) Back to PokeCryGUI, click the 'Samples' button and you'll notice that the 'Samples ROM' now displays 'FFFF', which means the cry of the PKMN is blank. You'll also notice that the 'Sample Offset' now displays the free space offset.
(7) Now click the 'Encode' button, and presto! You successfully inserted a new cry to your PKMN without corrupting any other cries!

Ending Message...
Yeah, I just recycled this old thread o'mine. I am sure someone here posted the table offsets of the other PKMN games. You might as well look for it if you are not using Ruby.
Anyway, thanks for your time in reading this tutorial and I hope you will find this useful.
Cheers and good luck with your hacks/mods! ;)

Last edited:

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Why PokeCry wouldn't work with FireRed? The cry format is exactly the same. But yeah... things will be easier with A-Cry.

EDIT:

Ruby US v1.0
0x452590

Sapphire US v1.0
0x4525EC

FireRed US v1.0
0x48C914

LeafGreen US v1.0
0x48C1F0

Emerald US v1.0
0x69DCF4

Last edited:

thechurchofcage

a.k.a. The Cancer Fairy
Years
  • Age 54
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Yay, finally a tutorial! Thanks destinedjagold!
Just to clarify, the Pokemon numbers are their Pokedex numbers(ie. 2 = Ivysaur), right?
Also, at what number do the 'death cries' start?

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Just to clarify, the Pokemon numbers are their Pokedex numbers(ie. 2 = Ivysaur), right?

Hey, it wasn't that hard if you actually tried :P
Anyway, remember any Pokémon after Celebi will not follow the usual, National Dex numbering. For a list of values you might use the stdpoke.rbh file included with XSE, for example. Oh, and don't forget that the values are in hex (0x181 for example), but PokéCry requires the decimal value.

TAKUORO

Pyro from WAH ;D
Years
Thanks!!
I have never try to change the crys( well a couple of times but they din't work good )
But is a very simple and easy tutorial!
It will help a lot of people ;D

Btw, whats is A-cry?
A cry modifier tool?

I would like to see it since pokecry doesn't work 100% good with fr

destinedjagold

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Why PokeCry wouldn't work with FireRed? The cry format is exactly the same. But yeah... things will be easier with A-Cry.

EDIT:

Ruby US v1.0
0x452590

Sapphire US v1.0
0x4525EC

FireRed US v1.0
0x48C914

LeafGreen US v1.0
0x48C1F0

Emerald US v1.0
0x69DCF4

So it works with FireRed as well? I never knew, though I shouldn't never know about that since I only hack Ruby. :P
A-Cry? So you are making a cry tool? =3

Also, at what number do the 'death cries' start?

I forgot where the 'death cries' starts though... :\
Also, yeah, it uses their PokéDex numbers, however, the Hoenn ones, like HackMew said, doesn't follow the numberings anymore.
And as HackMew suggested, you can look at their numbers in HM's XSE's stdpoke.rbh file. Though you should convert it to decimal, k? =3

ShadowForce_G

Endless learning...
Years
How do you make/get the Pokemon cry in .wav?

I know to repoint it.
Change the offset in "Sample Offset" with free offset, then click "Repoint", I think...

Last edited:

destinedjagold

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
How do you make/get the Pokemon cry in .wav?

I know to repoint it.
Change the offset in "Sample Offset" with free offset, then click "Repoint", I think...

I already tried that and it didn't work for me.
Also, I will post a link for you to download the cries. i just need to ask permission first, though~

thechurchofcage

a.k.a. The Cancer Fairy
Years
  • Age 54
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Sorry, me again.
I have a problem. I do what it says in the tutorial. I enter number 13(Weedle) and want to replace its cry with Dialga's. I click 'Encode.'
View attachment 50728
However, it doesn't actually do anything. I boot up VBA and Weedle's cry is exactly the same. Have I done something wrong or is it something to do with the size of the files?

Last edited:

HackMew

Mewtwo Strikes Back
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2011
Sorry, me again.
I have a problem. I do what it says in the tutorial. I enter number 13(Weedle) and want to replace its cry with Dialga's. I click 'Encode.'
View attachment 50728
However, it doesn't actually do anything. I boot up VBA and Weedle's cry is exactly the same. Have I done something wrong or is it something to do with the size of the files?

Seriously, you should pay more attention. Look at the table offset. It's 0... Which can't be good, for obvious reasons.

thechurchofcage

a.k.a. The Cancer Fairy
Years
  • Age 54
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Now you understand why I said more attention?

axd65y.png
All right, all right, I'm sorry, I should have noticed that.
But what is a Table Offset for and how do I know what I have to change it to for Emerald?

destinedjagold

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
All right, all right, I'm sorry, I should have noticed that.
But what is a Table Offset for and how do I know what I have to change it to for Emerald?

The table offset is telling the tool where to start looking for the cries.
Use the offsets HackMew gave us. ;)

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Sorry, again!
What offset would that be, then(for Emerald)?

Learn to read HackMew's posts! Look in this list he gave a bit above yours!

EDIT:

Ruby US v1.0
0x452590

Sapphire US v1.0
0x4525EC

FireRed US v1.0
0x48C914

LeafGreen US v1.0
0x48C1F0

Emerald US v1.0
0x69DCF4

Some people...

Anyway, good tutorial DJG. PokeCry looks so simple, sounds so complicated, but this tut makes the simple look seem... Correct.

Back