• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Type Confirmed: Fairy!

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
I saw this coming.
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7571797&highlight=fairy#post7571797

Not that I wanted a new type, but now that Wigglytuff is a Dragon-Buster.... ROCK ON!

There is a Dragon Buster Character in the anime, will she get some Fairy-Type Pokemon in October?

EDIT JIRACHI
JIRACHI

THERE IS NO WAY JIRACHI IS A STEEL TYPE! IT IS A FAIRY! THERE IS NOTHING ABOUT JIRACHI THAT IS STEEL TYPE!

Will Jirachi be Re-TYPED!

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2013
Fairy type means NOTHING!

Long time pokemon fan, I see a lot of people saying fairy type is the end all "Dragon Slayers", but really think about it...statistically dragon types have the highest base stats. If you look at potential fairy type pokemon...they have subpar base stats.

Just bringing one of these new fairy type to counter dragon pokemon in battle would be suicide, most dragon types are dual type and it would be easy to take this new type out.

I just don't see why they decided to add a new weakness for dragon with such a crappy typing. Granted steel pokemon aren't very offensive and there isn't any good poison moves but fairy pokemon's hp and speed base stat is low enough it doesn't matter. Compare Wigglytuff or Azumarill base stat with Salamence. You know Salamence will tear them to shreds.

What I am interested in seeing is a Fairy/Dragon type which will only have 3 weaknesses Ice/Steel/Poison.

Years
I guess it's nice to have dragonkillers. But I don't like the name - it's so dainty and delicate, how are you supposed to do wyrmtaming with a name like that?

Once you get passed the Disneyfication of fairy, what makes a fairy pokemon? They can't just be cute and pink, there must be something spiritual about them... like sylphs or undines or something. To me it sounds like a crossover between elemental and Psychic. I'm still not too sure what to make of it yet. Chimecho should be a fairy though.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
Consider the Following:

There is NOTHING Normal about Clefairy. IT LIVES ON THE MOON. Normal type is for Normal Pokemon.

Fairies are bad ass Mother-Jumpers. Have you read Dresden Files. Queen Mab gives Satan a run for his money on the Evil Bad Ass Meter.

tnfsf11

I had a hard time before trying to figure out what a Dragon type really is, & it's the same now for Fairy, so it kinda makes sense that they're opposite?

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
...tl;dr I don't like it. I feel it's a really messy type due to the fact that it's impossible to say, with any solid reasoning, what a fairy is or what its advantages and disadvantages are and they could have done the same job by being more inventive in other areas.

"Much of the folklore about fairies revolves around protection from their malice. Although in modern culture they are often depicted as young, sometimes winged, humanoids of small stature, they originally were depicted quite differently: tall, radiant, angelic beings or short, wizened trolls being two of the commonly mentioned forms. One common theme found among the Celtic nations describes a race of diminutive people who had been driven into hiding by invading humans. When considered as beings that a person might actually encounter, fairies were noted for their mischief and malice."

Fairies were originally more demonic in nature. Don't let Disney root itself too deep in your mind, man. d:
Oftentimes, creatures like Dwarves and Goblins can also be considered "fairies." They're not all tiny, sparkly, little gay things that you see flying around. One of my favorites from mythology is Lilith. She's often a demonic being, queen of the Fairies and guardian of the seven layers of creation. If you look at Digimon's Lilithmon, you'll notice that she's pretty much painted to look like a female Satan. Hey, Satan could be considered a fairy, too. d:

So many people just have the wrong idea planted in their heads about fairies. Society has morphed them all into little Tinkerbell look-alikes, whereas the original fairies could oftentimes be seen kidnapping, murdering and eating little children. So much more fun, don't you think?

I myself am welcoming of the new type. It might sound a bit odd, but the only issue with that is people who are going to be like "Oh my God, Fairy? Pokemon was gay before, but now you're a total f****t for playing it!" And that's actually what a lot of people here are sounding like right now. >.>;

Years
Not too happy that they couldn't come up with something more clever than "Fairy"-type, but I like the idea of Dragon having to watch out for another type of attack now. And Gardevoir will have STAB good against Dragon omg ^^

Anyways I feel like Snubbull should obviously be a Fariy-type, and maybe Togepi, Stantler and Audino as well. As much as I don't want it to happen though, it may just happen to the Chansey family as well.

Years
  • Seen Mar 23, 2016
I think I can wrap an idea around why Fairy is super effective to Dragon. In fairy tales, particularly Sleeping Beauty, the fairy empowers the hero to help them slay the dragon. Now, dragons aren't all big and evil like Maleficent but it's a start.

As to the speculation that Poison and Steel are strong against Fairy, I thought about this movie called Ferngully, where the fairy's habitat was being destroyed by machinery (ergo steel and poison). While steel isn't a direct attack on fairies, a fairy can't do much to a wall of metal anyway.

Looking at it from a more lunar and astral point of view, rockets and satellites both land on and populate moons, and the moon is being destroyed by metal asteroids/meteors (ergo Meteor Mash super effective against a hopefully Fairy-type Clefairy). Just an observation.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I'm taking the news better than I thought I would. Now I'm just wondering why the official site says Jigglypuff is Normal/Fairy. I'd have thought it would become pure Fairy, but maybe that's just me.

And Marill, well...I hope Azuril stays Normal, that way it evolves into completely different dual types xD

Literally my exact reaction, down to wondering why Jigglypuff isn't pure Fairy.

I, for one, am starting to LOVE this. So they're getting a little mythic on us, it's better than sticking to the same exact formula for 15+ years. They're really testing the waters with this game, and I like it.

My initial reaction was just "ugh no" but now that I'm getting used to it, Fairy is definitely one of my favorite types already. The typing weaknesses/advantages were already announced a while ago in a Japanese video (maybe Pokemon Smash? Idk) when they were trying to guess Sylveon's type by what it was weak/strong against and it definitely works as a check and balance type.

As for fairies being too effeminate, just no.

Also,
Strong against Ice
Strong against Dragon
Weak to Poison
Weak to Fighting
[via Pokemon Smash]

Last edited:

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 1, 2021
I really hope they mix it up. Like, I want Pokemon that are Fairy types but aren't pink, adorable, or feminine. I hope they can toy with the darker possibilities of the type... hmm Dark/Fairy type maybe? But I do hate say Fairy. It sounds so... old timey. I really wish we could talk them into translating it to "Light". It sounds more universal and can still cover all of the same characteristics.

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
Years
Imagine if there was a Light/Dark Pokemon. What an amazing combo that would of been. So many possibilities there for a great story there for a legendary.

I guess "Fairy" is ok, but I still prefer the sound of "Light" to be honest. Oh well, the name isn't going to make much difference in gameplay. Thank god GF took a step against Dragon aha

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I hope that they'll later elaborate more on the changes to the type chart in the Q&A. I want to know what Fairy is weak to, and if it's strong against anything else, of course it may simply be what the rumor said...

Aelita Schaeffer

Queen of Espurr
Years
Granbul, it should get it bcause its a "Fairy" pokemon (says it right in the dex)
Arseus is going to get a Fairy form due to his ability and I will be refering to "fairy" as "Navi" because its funny (Navi plate :P)

Years
Long time pokemon fan, I see a lot of people saying fairy type is the end all "Dragon Slayers", but really think about it...statistically dragon types have the highest base stats. If you look at potential fairy type pokemon...they have subpar base stats.

Yes, the fairy Pokemon that we know about already, don't have the best base stats, and would be knocked out by any (or most) dragon type Pokemon. However, we can't assume that ALL fairy type Pokemon are going to be sub par; after all, we've only seen a few fairy type Pokemon so far.

There's probably going to be at least one new fairy type Pokemon that would be above par, but won't be a legendary Pokemon.

Years
It's nice that it's weak to poison, always good to see that type get a buff. But fighting is strong enough already, it kills ice and faerie? Haxorus with brick break is must now i see.

Years
I was surprised Clefairy wasn't showcased as being a Fairy type Pokemon but maybe they only wanted to demonstrate a few of the Fairy types that will be in these new games.

Years
Fairy sounds a bit too squeamish to be considered a type...it should really be named Light, imo. I believe that Fairy is unnecessary to "balance" Dragon types, because Dragon is only super effective against one type - itself. While this is the case, I also realize that Dragon is very OP if it has high Attack and the move Outrage (which benefits from STAB), but Steel types could easily counter this with its normally-massive Defense and resistance to Dragon. (and even Rock-types, if the Defense stat is high enough) Some Pokemon can tank Dragon moves, while others can outspeed them, but the main point is to be able to land an Ice move on Dragon-types, as most are 2x or 4x weak against it, and their Sp. Def. stat is usually low.

Moving away from "Why I don't want it" to "What it should be"...as mentioned it's super effective against Dragons, which is okay I guess. Maybe I'll just sum up what I think it'll be in a list:

• 2x effective against Dragon, Ghost* (was going to say Dark but Marriland makes a good point in saying 4x effectiveness would've outright fainted Hydreigon in the trailer)
  • 1/2x effective against Psychic*, ???
  • 2x damage from Poison and Dark* (good thing they balanced Poison now, though!)
  • 1/2x damage from Ghost*, ???
* = my speculation

Obviously I'm just making speculation (not great ones anyway), but regardless, this new typing will change type effectiveness for further generations to come. This new type seems to be strongly based on folklore and I would like to see what kinds of Pokemon will be classified as this new type (other than what's already mentioned: Gardevoir (Psychic/Fairy?), Jigglypuff, Marill (Really? Water/Fairy? or just Fairy only?), and Sylveon) Maybe add in the Togepi line and Cleffa line? I guess we'll all have to wait and see...

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I don't like how Fairy is super-effective towards Ice. While Dragon does have at least a reason to it (doesn't excuse it from being really stupid), this just makes the already faltering Ice type even weaker.

Hopefully they'll do something such as making Ice types super effective towards Water or another common type, as the future looks rather grim for them.

I still am no fan of this new type, but I'm happy GF is at least attempting to try and add types to the games. I do like how many old pokemon are receiving this new type compared tot he last time they put in typing in gen II when only two pokemon got a new type.

I don't like how Fairy is super-effective towards Ice. While Dragon does have at least a reason to it (doesn't excuse it from being really stupid), this just makes the already faltering Ice type even weaker.

Hopefully they'll do something such as making Ice types super effective towards Water or another common type, as the future looks rather grim for them.

I still am no fan of this new type, but I'm happy GF is at least attempting to try and add types to the games. I do like how many old pokemon are receiving this new type compared tot he last time they put in typing in gen II when only two pokemon got a new type.

Last edited:
Years
Well I actually agree with a new type that counters dragons, even though it has been like 4gens since the last adition of new types (I think steel and dark were the last ones right?).

On the name... Well I think it makes sense the fairy thing, you know, a magical creature fighting a beast or something actually has a point, but if is like that, Magic type would be better.

I don't know why everybody is sayin' "Oh Light would be best, oh fairy is for pussys". Like, common, what is goig to do light to a ****ing dragon? They are almost elemental pokémon!!! They can learn moves from almost all types!!! I'm pretty sure they would also learn light type moves.

I think fairy type is ok, but magic would be the best.

Back