• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you feel about the protagonists being unable to talk?

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
Title is self explanatory. As for me...I'm glad the protags are silent. I dunno why, I just do. Maybe it is so that we the player can imagine ourselves what the protag is saying.

Years
With the way that Pokemon games follow very linear story, I'm okay with this, since it gives the player the opportunity to fill in the blanks for the protagonist along the way. If the game had more of a branching storyline, then it might be interesting to give the protagonist dialogue based on the decisions that you're making, to develop the character in different ways depending on how you play.

Until we see that though, I'm happy to keep it as is.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
The player characters were largely kinda intended to be self-inserts, which is why they never have any outright spoken dialogue.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
I'm fine with the lack of voice acting or dialogue as long as they make the PC more expressive unlike in gen 7 with that same blank expression in every scene.

But if they do give the PC more backstory and development, give them good dialogue and not crappy voice acting. Fallout 4 gave the MC voice acting and it was terrible, like most of that game.

Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 26, 2020
When a game doesn't have many multiple choice dialogue options, I prefer to have none. That means I can imagine my own responses to the events in the game.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I don't mind the silent protagonists

It lets me pretend the character is myself, so if I want I can just fill responses in my head.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
Silent protagonists mean less talk, more action.

It works well with me since I don't want to feel the need to be too talkitive in real life anyways (my brother gets triggered easily nowadays...).

Also its nice to just listen to the other pokemon people more ^_^

Also I like the post ZeoStar said; the responses can be in your head. Thats creative ;3 I may try that sometime. ^_^

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 18, 2024
It's right, why talk with weak inferior people? just beat and shut them up, loves your pokemons, beat the league, and become a f-ing legend

Last edited:
Years
^lol

I'm actually adjusted to it, having played more games like that lately. Meant to be that way so you can see your character however you want. It'd be nice to establish a bit of personality through dialogue options though.....and maybe even have the game take on alternate paths depending on what you choose. But that's for another discussion!

Years
Hmm, I'm accustomed to it. However, generally I am a very outgoing and talkative in real life and sometimes the protagonist's quiet demeanor is a little annoying. There are times when I just wanna sass another character, yenno?

Last edited:

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
Yeah, I don't mind at all. Never wished they did, never asked myself that question before.

But I wish our character would have better facial expressions in SunUsum. At time it get ridiculous how everyone is in a big panic and our is still, with that smoll stupid smile.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Because of this trait, I always like to envision the protagonists as either sociopaths and/or indifferent to the plights at hand, yet is forced to complete them against their will.

It's pretty much how I and a lot of other players play.

"OMG THE SUPER LEGENDARY POKEMON IS GOING TO DESTROY WORLD. YOU MUST SAVE US"

Inner thoughts "Uh... I don't care. I just want to catch it for battling."

That kind of thing. Makes the story a lot more fun to me.

Last edited:
Years
Because the protagonists are supposed to represent the actual players, I've never really had an issue with them not speaking. That said though, I've always been curious as to how Pokemon games would be different if you were given a wider variety of dialogue choices.

I just don't think making the main protagonists speak is a good idea because their diaologue would really make or break the immersion for players and that would require some extremely good writing skills to avoid. I'm currently unsure if I'd trust Game Freak to accomplish that without screwing it up.

Years
Having the main character be a blank state means you can project your personality onto them, and I think that's what truly makes every Pokemon journey different, especially when you decide to portray them as someone other than yourself.

Resolve

I have it
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 2, 2020
Filling in the empty void of theirs called personality makes me feel pretty good.

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I always view my characters as a self-insert, so I'm glad they don't really talk. I wouldn't mind occasional dialogue choices in major cutscenes for a little variety, but I'm happy to let side characters pick up the slack character development-wise. I can just pretend my character is saying something cool before they thrash the bad guys. :'D

dannymusic

The Smiling Trombonist
Years
I'd mind it a little less if they'd at least emote in the cutscenes! Come on, Lusamine and Guzma just disappeared into a wormhole connecting to the distant reaches of space; the least you can do is not stand there with that blank smile!

Back