• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What are your favorite horror games?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
Which horror games are your favorite?

My favorite is Haunting Ground for PS2. I also have Alien: Isolation downloaded, but never got around to playing it. First I wanted to watch the movie.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
I played Silent Hill 2 as a kid, and to this day, it's still the biggest mindf*** I've experienced in a game. The atmosphere in that game is really something else.

Fatal Frame II, Rule of Rose, and even the not so old Until Dawn were pretty decent horror games as well.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Eternal Darkness stands out in my mind as one of the greatest horror titles, although I've always thought of horror as a theme rather than a genre.

A lot of games calling themselves horror games aren't particularly tense (see: every Resident Evil title after the third, except possibly the seventh) and the atmosphere in games like Bloodborne, the original Bioshock, and Alan Wake are far more invocative of horror.

The problem with modern horror games is that they seem to think excessive amounts of gore and cheap jumpscares are enough to do it. Tension, suspense, and a feeling of overwhelming vulnerability are what make a great horror game, at least to my mind.

Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
FEAR_DVD_box_art.jpg

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Rule of Rose
That's a name I don't see often! It was pretty buggy and not well made iirc, but I loved the story, atmosphere and characters - shame it wasn't better put together. The music is really beautiful and haunting too.

I'm not a huge fan of horror but I do like horror games with more subtle yet effective scares, not that into gratuitous gore or jumpscares - I like being creeped out and disturbed by the concepts in the game more than outright scared by just visuals, if that makes sense. I think one of my favourites are Siren: Blood Curse, it was so unsettling and creepy and the story was compelling enough to make me want to subject myself to more of it and push on.

Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 26, 2020
Silent Hill games will always be a fav of mine. I love the stories and the characters, and the art and music.

Idk if most people will think it counts as strictly 'horror' games, but the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games are probably my fav games ever made for the scary atmosphere and setting. I always wish there would be a Fallout game with the same design.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Frictional games makes some great horror games, Penumbra: Overture/Black Plague, Amnesia: The Dark Descent and SOMA. They have strong settings that invoke a feeling of isolation and helplessness, and it creates a tense atmosphere. Penumbra and Amnesia aim to be terrifying games which they are (did the defenseless/run and hide/survival horror gameplay excellently and well before stuff like Outlast), and SOMA crafts an excellent despairing and deep story. The physics system in those games is also fun to mess with. I'd also like to add that Amnesia is not a crappy jumpscare cash cow that youtubers like Pewdiepie made it out to be.

All the games mentioned in above posts are also horror games I really like.

Back